As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Elite: Dangerous] Get a ship, get a crew and keep flying. Now with ALIENS.

• Options
    DerrickDerrick Registered User regular
    Maybe one of the Farraguts accidentally fired before scanning. "Sorry there, Admiral. Rules is rules."

Alternatively- PIRATES STOLE A FARRAGUT!

Steam and CFN: Enexemander
  • Options
    BigityBigity Lubbock, TXRegistered User regular
    It's the new pirate mothership. Kind of like a floating base.

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Derrick wrote: »
    Maybe one of the Farraguts accidentally fired before scanning. "Sorry there, Admiral. Rules is rules."

They were engaged in a running combat against an enemy capital ship that high-waked out, and 3 en-route multicannon rounds from the first Farragut plinked off the shields of the second, earning him a 2cr bounty and a death sentence.

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    Tube wrote: »
    Score!

Also I finally caved and just put my hotas on my desk. Hopefully it works ok and doesn't kill my shoulders

Update: it's garbage. I need my seat so high that I can't get to my pedals. I need some solution that lets me keep them by my side. Maybe speaker stands? But they'll probably just topple over.

• Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    Score!

Also I finally caved and just put my hotas on my desk. Hopefully it works ok and doesn't kill my shoulders

Update: it's garbage. I need my seat so high that I can't get to my pedals. I need some solution that lets me keep them by my side. Maybe speaker stands? But they'll probably just topple over.

http://obutto.com/gaming-cockpits/r3volution-gaming-cockpit/

• Options
    I could possibly justify that expense, and have even gotten to "add to cart", but unfortunately
    A. It pushes my shoulders forward so I couldn't justify it as a legit office chair
    B. The shipping to Canada was something like 400 dollars

I have plans to maybe scam a free one, we'll see if it pans out.

• Options
    Apparently that solution was rejected due to arm unsuitability by my chief engineer and roommate

• Options
    Score!

Any way to hook things onto the arms of your chair?

• Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    I could possibly justify that expense, and have even gotten to "add to cart", but unfortunately
    A. It pushes my shoulders forward so I couldn't justify it as a legit office chair

400 dollars for shipping ?!!!?!!

• Options
    We tried but the throttle was too far back and I couldn't retract the throttle.

• Options

Boo. I'm going to have to figure out something when I get my hotas too. I sit in an oversized chair with a board across the arms where the laptop sits. I'm not sure that's going to work for a regular monitor and keyboard. I might have to bust out my hammer and saw and come up with something that slides over the arms and gives me some more distance (I have zero place for a desk - and my TV is too old to play games on it).

• Options

Depending on how ghetto you want things to get (or how much you miss your college dorm) I imagine you can fabricate something up with a couple of adjustable height sawhorses and some two by fours. Or, if you want to go a more elegant route, I'm pretty sure you can cobble together something from Ikea. First google search netted this

https://www.reddit.com/r/EliteDangerous/comments/372r6y/ikea_hotas_stands/

• Options
    SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular

400 dollars for shipping ?!!!?!!

Altogether the packages weigh almost 200 pounds. I paid $250 to have it shipped in the US.

5gsowHm.png
  • Options
    Damn...thats going to push back my plans on buying that...

• Options
    edited November 2016
    I've been trying fixed weapons a lot lately. I finally got around to using the T.A.R.G.E.T. Thrustmaster software and figuring out how it works.

Now I know why I was having problems with Yaw aiming. The twist axis has a defect on my T16000m stick. It doesn't return to center when it's twisted left. It does if twisted right.

:( So now I'm a sad panda. I can create a deadzone and adjust the curves so hopefully it'll be manageable. But dang. I bought this stick specifically to NOT have to deal with deadzones. Well shucks.

[edit] Deadzone is still no bueno. Adjusting the curves to be less sensitive towards the middle feels like it helps, though.

Derrick on
  • Options
    I've been trying fixed weapons a lot lately. I finally got around to using the T.A.R.G.E.T. Thrustmaster software and figuring out how it works.

Now I know why I was having problems with Yaw aiming. The twist axis has a defect on my T16000m stick. It doesn't return to center when it's twisted left. It does if twisted right.

:( So now I'm a sad panda. I can create a deadzone and adjust the curves so hopefully it'll be manageable. But dang. I bought this stick specifically to NOT have to deal with deadzones. Well shucks.

Are you using the whole T16000 FCS HOTAS? Can you map yaw to the throttle rocker instead?

5gsowHm.png
  • Options
    Syngyne wrote: »

Are you using the whole T16000 FCS HOTAS? Can you map yaw to the throttle rocker instead?

I'm just using the stick. The throttle I'm using my old T Flight X. It's been sternly implied by my ladyfriend that I shouldn't buy a new throttle with Christmas around the corner. But yeah, I'll probably look into a different solution after the holiday. Maybe even some pedals. It just depends on what Santa drops down the chimney. If it's a Warthog, then def pedals. If it's the new stand alone throttle, your solution will be my first try.

• Options
    RMA it

Also be warned that pedals don't really work for FA off.

• Options
    There was a definite learning curve involved (i.e. bouncing off of asteroids), but I'm pretty okay with pedals in FA off now.

5gsowHm.png
  • Options
    Personally I can't ever get a complete return to centre

• Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    Missed my chance to buy the midnight skins. On the bright side, $10.00 to spend on an actual game instead.

• Options
    LodbrokLodbrok Registered User regular
    edited November 2016
    I suppose this is old news to most, but the T9 really needs some love in my opinion. In my almost 2 years of E:D, I've never flown a T9, but I have always wanted to. Yesterday I bought one for doing some BGS manipulation, and well... it really does very little that my Conda can't do. It DOES carry slightly more cargo, and I actually think the handling/thrusters are slightly better than the Conda but overall everything else is pretty abysmal. If I were in charge in ship balancing, I would give it comparable cargo-capacity to the cutter and lower the hull weight. Oh well, at least it is kinda fun to fly a really huge ship, it is successful in giving that feeling at least.

In other slightly related news... what?!?

msn.com/en-gb/money/technology/alpha-centauri-gets-a-new-moniker-as-227-star-names-are-clarified/ar-AAkSoMm?ocid=spartanntp_edu

Huh... some further reading turns out that Rigel Kentaurus has indeed been the proper name all along (Or "Toliman"?!?)... who knew. Time for Sid Meier's Rigel Kentaurus (2)?

Lodbrok on
  • Options
    Lodbrok wrote: »
    I suppose this is old news to most, but the T9 really needs some love in my opinion. In my almost 2 years of E:D, I've never flown a T9, but I have always wanted to. Yesterday I bought one for doing some BGS manipulation, and well... it really does very little that my Conda can't do. It DOES carry slightly more cargo, and I actually think the handling/thrusters are slightly better than the Conda but overall everything else is pretty abysmal. If I were in charge in ship balancing, I would give it comparable cargo-capacity to the cutter and lower the hull weight. Oh well, at least it is kinda fun to fly a really huge ship, it is successful in giving that feeling at least.

In other slightly related news... what?!?

msn.com/en-gb/money/technology/alpha-centauri-gets-a-new-moniker-as-227-star-names-are-clarified/ar-AAkSoMm?ocid=spartanntp_edu

Huh... some further reading turns out that Rigel Kentaurus has indeed been the proper name all along (Or "Toliman"?!?)... who knew. Time for Sid Meier's Rigel Kentaurus (2)?

Alpha Centauri sounds so much better.

I agree about the T9. I'm okay with it, though. It's a more specialized ship and comes at a much cheaper price than the all arounder that the 'Conda is. I love flying the T9 because of how McHuge it feels. Plus, it has that sweet Lakon cockpit, whereas the 'Conda takes up a lot of screen space with it's... uh... "frontal projection."

• Options
    As someone who is at least a little interested in astronomy, I'm just surprised I cant remember ever coming across the name before.

Yes, the T9 really feels huge, it is quite fun landing it at planetary outposts.

Todays random picture, I've never seen such an exotic looking place in the game:

pdwnbr8ucg0y.png

• Options

Depending on how ghetto you want things to get (or how much you miss your college dorm) I imagine you can fabricate something up with a couple of adjustable height sawhorses and some two by fours. Or, if you want to go a more elegant route, I'm pretty sure you can cobble together something from Ikea. First google search netted this

https://www.reddit.com/r/EliteDangerous/comments/372r6y/ikea_hotas_stands/

If I could find the right stands that he's using I'd love to try stands, although I can't have my feet resting on them. I could put weight plates on them though.

• Options
    Today the Chief Of Engineering came up with the solution of smashing the parts of my desk that wouldn't fit properly with a hammer until they weren't there any more

• Options
    ZeroczZerocz Space Cowboy In SpaceRegistered User regular
    I am hoping there are pictures of this.

• Options
    jinkumabutajinkumabuta Registered User regular
    Promote that man!

• Options
    I got to watch my friend's first foray through the tutorials. Good stuff. Brings back memories. I was crying by the end of the docking tutorial. That poor Sidewinder must have a very bruised behind at this point.

In other news, I I found a good curves set up with the T.A.R.G.E.T. software. Just the slightest bit of curve on each axis helps my fine control quite a bit. It's an interesting bit of software. It really doesn't feel like a commercial product. It's very rough around the edges and I ended up having to troubleshoot a bug myself. Still, I appreciate the functionality.

• Options
    Ah, the age-old method of percussive maintenance/engineering. Hope it works out for you Tube! I just realised that I in all likelihood could not use a full stick/throttle setup on my desk... good thing I'm to cheap to afford them anyway right now!

Some of the tourist beacons on the surface of planets are pretty neat. The fog on this planet makes the location very atmospheric (heh):

32lczr98itpd.png

Hopefully, this will be the last screenshot I take with my present potato-computer. Today, postal office willing, I go from a Core 2 Quad with a Geforce GT610 to an i7 with a GTX 1050. Can't wait to see what E:D actually looks like when you don't have to turn everything down to the lowest setting!

• Options
    Grats, Lodbrok!

Is there something special to getting the passenger mission with the planetary beacons? I always get the tourist ones that you scan out in space.

• Options
    Not that I know of. I've also noticed that most destinations are to beacons in orbit, maybe that is by design to not lock people without Horizons from the bulk of destinations? I think that I've only had two surface destinations, and I've been running a lot of passenger missions to support my local faction since the ordinary ones dried up after the last patch.

• Options
    After playing a bit I do not really like passenger missions, although I think a key is never taking the "don't get scanned" missions.

• Options
    edited December 2016
    After playing a bit I do not really like passenger missions, although I think a key is never taking the "don't get scanned" missions.

I'm not a fan of the demanding ones either.

Or the ones that want to see a planet that is 200k from the star.

In fact, I prefer the bulk passenger missions only.

Bigity on
  • Options
    I'm taking an explorer now. She doesn't want to be scanned but fuck it, I've been meaning to make a long haul trip.

• Options
    I'm taking an explorer now. She doesn't want to be scanned but fuck it, I've been meaning to make a long haul trip.

Yea, seems like you might as well do those when you are planning a trip - as long as the stop is on the way.

• Options
    Things I learned in the first 1000 LY:

Don't bring too many fuel tanks. I'm pretty sure I can do 1000 LY without scooping now and have hit "what's the point" status. I think one size 8 would be fine.

Bring AFMs. I forgot the AFMs

Switch to your Anaconda, idiot

Don't land on planets. Landing on planets is basically the only way you're going to actually crash your ship. I nearly crashed my ship!

I'm at 60% hull with a bunch of systems out because I'm rusty and made some rooky errors. Making good time though!

• Options
    Also I learned that when I get halfway and the passenger cancels the mission I have zero problems detonating the shit out of my 300 million dollar ship just to take that shithead with me

Bought an asp. Going to the other side of Sagittarius instead.

• Options
    I drained most of my bank account tonight by picking up an A rated FDL. Reddit and the Elite forums were all aflutter today about how great it is. I have to say that after taking it to has res, I wasn't super impressed. However, I refuse to believe that everyone is wrong, so I ran off engineering tonight (OC powerplant and grade 5 DD to start).

Once I get some work done on the shields and boosters, I feel like I'll be in a better spot to judge it. My preliminary impression is that it's smack in between the FAS and the Gunship in terms of both firepower and maneuverability, and it's really only shield tanking being ridiculous that the FDL feels like such an outlier.

This discussion has been closed.