As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Elite: Dangerous] Get a ship, get a crew and keep flying. Now with ALIENS.

• Options
    General_ArmchairGeneral_Armchair Registered User regular
    The RNG finally gave me some promotion missions so I was able to get a bearing on my progress towards the rank of "Duke" and authorization to purchase Imperial Cutters.

Apparently I'm ~70% of the way through Earl. I've been hemorrhaging funds into donation missions to expedite the process. The planetary scan missions have been staunching the bleeding, but my account is still down ~60 million. I think once the progress bar for Earl is complete, I'm going to forego the donation missions and replenish my coffers a bit instead. Especially since a cutter in a basic trader configuration is going to cost me ~250+ million credits with ~13 mil insurance fees before I even start looking at paying the cost of up to 792 tons of cargo.

3DS Friend Code:
    Armchair: 4098-3704-2012
  • Options
    DerrickDerrick Registered User regular
    TOGSolid wrote: »
    Bigity wrote: »
    Hit a minor snag with the FCS throttle, it gets a little sticky after some use out of the box. I'll need to get some silicone lube (AYYYYYYY) or something similar for the rails to fix that.

If anyone has a better lube/grease suggestion to use for that I'm open to suggestions!

Push the throttle up all the way, it will reveal a tension screw in the track. Loosen it some.

Mine was much better after that, but some grease probably is a good idea as well. It seems to be a common complaint.

Oh hey, that is better, thanks! I think I still wanna grease the rails since the problem isn't so much tension related as it is just the friction caused by the way my hand sits on the throttle causing the plastic to drag a little on the rails unevenly. Even with the tension backed off so that the light sticking goes away I can still feel the throttle dragging a smidge on the rails.

Yeah, it's the grease they use on the rails. It's my only complaint with Thrustmaster- they skimp on the grease (on all their products). Luckily doing a little maintenance on that isn't a huge undertaking. I'll take that problem over wiring issues and such any day.

Next week for the patch, maybe? I'm hoping to jump back in game right after my vacation. I'll be coming home in more ways than one :) .

Steam and CFN: Enexemander
  • Options
    DarkMechaDarkMecha The Outer SpaceRegistered User regular
    I just had a thought: It would rock if FD introduced a system where we could hire NPC pilots for our other ships, and then wing up with them. Use a simple command system just like the fighters use, nothing complex.

Steam Profile | My Art | NID: DarkMecha (SW-4787-9571-8977) | PSN: DarkMecha
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    I would love that. Maybe in Season 2? It would definitely be nice to have a reason to own multiple ships. You might have to teach them some complex behaviours though. If you go 500 LY out, do they scoop? Plot a course? Is there magic involved somewhere and they just show up? Probably easiest to do it on a summon timer, but then people will complain...

So by the time I handed in my missions I had 300 million in the bank, so I headed to Founder's World to experiment with outfitting. I replaced my Cutter with a new hull (cheaper insurance) and trade fitted it fully and bought an Imperial Eagle for dicking about and especially wake hunting (I got my datamined wake exceptions!).

The real expense was buying and fitting my first Fer De Lance. Man, this thing is nippy. It feels like a bigger Vulture. I haven't taken it into combat yet, but I was amazed at how cheap it was to outfit and how much spare power it's rocking. I put all fixed multicannons on it because I want to learn fixed weapons.

Can anyone recommend a system near Sol for farming chemical manipulators? I need a bunch for FSD rolls.

• Options
    I don't know how close it is to Sol, but I felt that I was having good luck in an anarchy agriculture/tourism system last week. It's near Felicity Farseer, so if she's your FSD engineer then you'll be headed out to that corner of space eventually. Farseer's system has a world with decent concentrations of arsenic too.

I know that the type 7 and 9's drop manipulators. I'm pretty sure that the orcas and belugas do too. I haven't tried blowing up the anacondas to check them.
    I think that I'm having a lot of luck tracking down hunting down chemical manipulators in this system.

The system is 69 G. Carinae

It's a Anarchy system with an agriculture/tourism economy and a population of 10.6 billion people. It feels like Type-7/Type-9 freighters and Orca/Belluga liners spawn here with decent frequency for FSD intercept. Also a lot of anacondas, but I haven't tackled them yet.

Bring a FS wake scanner too. I think the bigger ships have a better chance of dropping datamined wake exceptions, so that's a consolation prize at least if the ship gets away.

I've also encountered some encoded and high grade emission USS's within the system.

The system is roughly in the neighborhood of Deciat, which is the home of the engineer Felicity Farseer

3DS Friend Code:
  • Options
    LodbrokLodbrok Registered User regular
    edited April 2017
    DarkMecha wrote: »
    I just had a thought: It would rock if FD introduced a system where we could hire NPC pilots for our other ships, and then wing up with them. Use a simple command system just like the fighters use, nothing complex.

While that sounds like a fun idea, I wonder how likely it is considering that we can't even have 2 npc fighter pilots... seems like Frontier really does not like to stray from the "One ship-One pilot" concept.

On another note, a couple of days ago I went against my own rule of "No-PvP-in-Elite" and tried to stop a piracy attempt at the trading CG. Was flying my annoyance-courier, the "Trollwyld näbbad" and I wanted to check what the loadout could do against a lowly clipper who was pirating a T6. Turns out that 2 medium torps with Reverberating Cascade and a medium rail with feedback cascade really doesn't do much at all against a clipper. Brought the shield generator down to 50% and proceeded to empty my rail ammo while the clipper mainly ignored me and went about his business... disappointment. In the end, I called him lazy for pirating in a Clipper and left.

Wonder what the best loadout is for annoying larger ships while still being able to at least cause some damage... maybe plasmas with phasing but then there will be problems with the pp and distributor and a light-weight courier. Might try the mine-bomber I saw someone use to good effect, but I think it will take some practicing to actually land mines efficiently.

Lodbrok on
  • Options
    Thanks @General_Armchair, that's a huge help! Do you happen to have a rough idea of what constitutes a good roll for an FSD? I had enough for two in my hold and I've got my combat build up to 25ly, but it's hard to know what objective numbers to look for.

• Options
    dylmandylman Registered User regular
    Tube wrote: »
    Thanks @General_Armchair, that's a huge help! Do you happen to have a rough idea of what constitutes a good roll for an FSD? I had enough for two in my hold and I've got my combat build up to 25ly, but it's hard to know what objective numbers to look for.

Anything over 50% optimum mass is a good roll, 55% would be exceptional.

• Options
    edited April 2017
    Well "good" is subjective, but there is a lot of overlap between the potential of rank 4 and rank 5 upgrades. I think that mid to upper 40's in an increase to optimal mass is the boundary of what sets apart a rank 5 upgrade to a really good rank 4 upgrade.

I believe rank 5 caps out at approximately +52% optimal mass with a perfect roll on optimal mass alongside the small boost if you roll optimal mass as one of your bonus quirks. This is based on my personal experience of never seeing a bonus quirk to optimal mass adding more than +2%. Dylman suggests a potential +5%, which may be true. I just haven't seen it yet.

I think rank 4 upgrades are capable of pushing into the lower 40's with a high optimal mass roll and a bonus quirk to optimal mass.

Edit :
    If you do roll an upper 40's roll, I would consider mothballing it in storage and buying a new FSD before trying your luck for something better. Then you'd have two good FSDs instead of just one upgraded FSD.

General_Armchair on
    3DS Friend Code:
  • Options
    BigityBigity Lubbock, TXRegistered User regular
    Lodbrok wrote: »

While that sounds like a fun idea, I wonder how likely it is considering that we can't even have 2 npc fighter pilots... seems like Frontier really does not like to stray from the "One ship-One pilot" concept.

On another note, a couple of days ago I went against my own rule of "No-PvP-in-Elite" and tried to stop a piracy attempt at the trading CG. Was flying my annoyance-courier, the "Trollwyld näbbad" and I wanted to check what the loadout could do against a lowly clipper who was pirating a T6. Turns out that 2 medium torps with Reverberating Cascade and a medium rail with feedback cascade really doesn't do much at all against a clipper. Brought the shield generator down to 50% and proceeded to empty my rail ammo while the clipper mainly ignored me and went about his business... disappointment. In the end, I called him lazy for pirating in a Clipper and left.

Wonder what the best loadout is for annoying larger ships while still being able to at least cause some damage... maybe plasmas with phasing but then there will be problems with the pp and distributor and a light-weight courier. Might try the mine-bomber I saw someone use to good effect, but I think it will take some practicing to actually land mines efficiently.

I believe 6 reverb torps will take down any shields up to 8A thermal resistance shields. So basically some Cutters. So you either have to use at least 3 medium hardpoints or synth some ammo. Maybe a FAS with 2 med torps and a PA? :)

I'd like to know how many reverb mines it takes as well.

• Options
    Hm, I may be mistaken but I don't think you can synthesize torpedoes? It is quite possible that not all torpedoes I fired found the target either. Problem with going with a FAS or another larger ship is that you will be in trouble if there is more than one opponent. In my courier, it is quite possible to go against a full wing of would be gankers, play around until they get tired of you and coming out on the other side. Of course, you haven't done anything more than waste their time :P

• Options
    BigityBigity Lubbock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited April 2017
    I think you can, would be just like missile ammo. I can't recall that I have tried though.

My courier is too light for taking on 2+, but I can always run away with 700 MJ shields at 600 ms.

I think too many people in Elite think of a 'win' as blowing everyone up. In air combat that has always been pretty rare. You run them out of fuel, missiles, or ammo more typically.

Course, these days air combat is shooting missiles at 200 miles away before the other guy can get you on radar because of the horizon.

EDIT: Nope, you can't synth torp ammo. Lame.

Bigity on
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    Yeah it irks me that you cant synthesize torpedoes.

DarkMecha on
  • Options
    I found two missions for a total of 8 modular terminals and I am hard as a rock right now

• Options
    Bigity wrote: »
    I think you can, would be just like missile ammo. I can't recall that I have tried though.

My courier is too light for taking on 2+, but I can always run away with 700 MJ shields at 600 ms.

I think too many people in Elite think of a 'win' as blowing everyone up. In air combat that has always been pretty rare. You run them out of fuel, missiles, or ammo more typically.

Course, these days air combat is shooting missiles at 200 miles away before the other guy can get you on radar because of the horizon.

EDIT: Nope, you can't synth torp ammo. Lame.

Well if you define winning as receiving a reward for your actions, then in Elite winning is just blowing everything up.

3DS Friend Code:
  • Options

Yeah, but I can see why they designed it that way, otherwise it would be trivial to take down any shield in short order. On the other hand, thinking about it, personally I don't see that as a bad thing, so yeah.

• Options
    edited April 2017
    Lodbrok wrote: »

Yeah, but I can see why they designed it that way, otherwise it would be trivial to take down any shield in short order. On the other hand, thinking about it, personally I don't see that as a bad thing, so yeah.

I'd be fine with that if the torpedo launcher carried more. As it is they are barely bigger in model size than a regular missile and yet even a medium mount only carries two. They look really small on either mount, it doesn't make any sense to me. Plus they could just give them some other disadvantage like a 2 minute reload time or something.

Also I wonder how hard it would be to do player bounty hunting. Some people out there probably have some hefty bounties on them and they can't all be flying super battle ships.

DarkMecha on
  • Options
    If I remember correctly, player bounties top out at 1 million credits, guess it was to easy to abuse it when it was possible to cash in on many millions of bounties if both commanders agreed on it otherwise. Made for some funny moments when you recognised someone who had those astronomical bounties from the "Top bounties"-board though! Also, anyone having those kind of bounties is very unlikely to actually let themselves be killed even if you can catch them...

Just watched this new Obsidian Ant video:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=wX4O7jLvezI

Exploration in E:D can really make you feel a sense of wonder, I'm wishing so hard that we get some more things to actually explore out there soon... even some small things would make me happy.

• Options
    A system called Ditian is pumping out modular terminals like crazy

• Options
    edited April 2017

Also I wonder how hard it would be to do player bounty hunting. Some people out there probably have some hefty bounties on them and they can't all be flying super battle ships.
    I've seen screenshots showing off bounties and fines in excess of 1 billion credits from people grinding credits selling slaves at Robigo, but it isn't profitable whatsoever to engage in player bounty hunting because bounty payoff is capped at a meager 1 million credits.

General_Armchair on
    3DS Friend Code:
  • Options
    Well I had zero luck getting chemical manipulators. Nothing showed up at the nav beacons so I tried the outbreak method and also had zero luck.

However! I finished the modular terminals grind! Ditian is a great place to find them. I quit the game after that, but I guess the next thing is running commodities to Qwent to rep him up until I can get Professor Palin. Then maybe a trip to the black to get rep for him. I don't know. We'll see. I'm just glad to have that damn modular terminals shit out of the way.

• Options
    edited April 2017
    Regarding the multicrew payout nerfs, I think it's way too much. I was looking forward to my friends who are starting out playing with me, but at 5% payout they're better off doing almost anything else. Even at Elite combat level you'll only receive fifty percent. By the time you're at that rank you probably have a pretty kicking radical ship that you could take out on the town yourself. I don't know, it seems to be an overreaction to a problem that doesn't really matter.

Tube on
  • Options
    SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular
    Re: chemical manipulators, go to a high tech system, get off the shipping lanes, and look for high grade emission sources. I got like 15 in one session when looking for something else.

5gsowHm.png
  • Options
    Honestly the payout nerf seems like a really strong attempt to make a new feature dead on arrival. I can not fathom how anyone thought it was a good idea. If anything, they should be MULTIPLYING earnings to encourage players to group up and use this fancy new multicrew feature that so much effort has been placed into developing.

3DS Friend Code:
  • Options
    I thought the original idea, where it was equal pay with no split was very generous (I think there was an insurance reduction too). Ideally I think a GTAV style thing where the captain chooses the split would be good, but maybe impossible to implement. This just seems silly. I'm sure the feature will still be fun, but it won't be a good payout for... well, anyone really. I guess the guy that owns the ship.

• Options
    In GTAV, the heists were extremely lucrative endeavors with payouts that eclipsed most of the earnings that you could make running solo. It was a system that encouraged grouping up even when your friends weren't around because it in the mutual best interest of you and complete strangers to work together towards a common goal. In the process of working with strangers, you could make some new friends and in turn the game developed a closer knit community. That's exactly the sort of thing Elite needs.

If they can abandon the silly worries about protecting the grind, then they can create awesome group scenarios like the one depicted in the Capital Ship Battle Trailer. They need to put the incentives out there to make it be in players' best interest to fly out into open mode and group up instead of staying safe and sheltered in solo mode.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VE8B4KptyVI

3DS Friend Code:
  • Options
    dporowskidporowski Registered User regular
    In GTAV, the heists were extremely lucrative endeavors with payouts that eclipsed most of the earnings that you could make running solo. It was a system that encouraged grouping up even when your friends weren't around because it in the mutual best interest of you and complete strangers to work together towards a common goal. In the process of working with strangers, you could make some new friends and in turn the game developed a closer knit community. That's exactly the sort of thing Elite needs.

If they can abandon the silly worries about protecting the grind, then they can create awesome group scenarios like the one depicted in the Capital Ship Battle Trailer. They need to put the incentives out there to make it be in players' best interest to fly out into open mode and group up instead of staying safe and sheltered in solo mode.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VE8B4KptyVI

"Can I be shot at by someone who thinks it's funny to make others mad: Y/N"

If Y, then see ya. There is literally no mechanic, apart from simply stripping large chunks of the game out, that will make me want to engage in activities with a PVP component in this game. The only reason I don't fly permanently offline is because space is so bloody big I don't think I've ever, EVER seen another human player, and I like it that way.

Now, that said, "work with others to do a thing"? Sure! But that thing will, almost inevitably, degenerate into "dodge other humans who like to ruin other people's fun", and no thanks, I'm too old to put up with that shit if there's an option.

• Options
    I've got no interest in being forced into open. I'm not staying in solo because it's not rewarding enough, I'm staying in solo because I don't like multiplayer games. Their current system is good for that, I can team up with friends if I want to but can also totally opt out. Maybe I'm "sheltered", I don't really care. I'm going to play the game the way that I find fun. Nothing about the PVP community in any game has ever appealed to me.

I think they could learn a lot from the GTA V model. Things like player created races are a really good fit for Elite. Heists and missions in that game are still instanced, you can stick with your friends or play in a lobby or whatever, you don't have to be in a huge group. Notably, GTA V also has almost no penalty for death. That's a big thing that keeps people out of open play in Elite. If I'm loaded for bear and I get ganked by 3 FDLs, that's 20 million out of my pocket. That represents several hours of my life.

That capital ship combat is certainly something they should be working towards, and I think with some of the assets they've been adding they probably are. Perhaps having missions in a series that lead up to a large battle like that. They have a lot of CQC assets and close quarters combat is largely missing from the main game even though it works very well in Arena.

It is super funny to see "we're saved! four sidewinders are here!" now that the game is released though.

• Options
    edited April 2017
    Speaking of torpedo-size, anyone else remember this old concept?

latest?cb=20141103224720

Give me that huge torpedo! I expect to one-shot cutters with that thing... actually, looking at that concept, it is clear they had concepts about both larger missiles and torpedo sizes, not just magazine sizes.

Here is a very interesting read for anyone remotely interested in PvP, Truesilver has a different take on fixed vs. gimballed:

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php/341107-Truesilver-s-Top-Tips-No-3-Gimballed-Duelling-(Or-quot-How-you-too-could-fight-20-med-v-med-ship-1v1-s-and-win-20-0-!-quot-)

Lodbrok on
  • Options
    edited April 2017

I've seen screenshots showing off bounties and fines in excess of 1 billion credits from people grinding credits selling slaves at Robigo, but it isn't profitable whatsoever to engage in player bounty hunting because bounty payoff is capped at a meager 1 million credits.

Really!? Maaan...the legal system is so bad in this game...

I think you should get the full payout if you scrag a player with a bounty. I mean why not? It would discourage people from racking up such huge bounties because they'd know people would be after them for it.

Oh right bounty trading ruins all that. I don't really have an answer for fixing that one.

DarkMecha on
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    The way things work is that if you die in the system where you are wanted, then you're forced to pay your bounty in addition to your rebuy cost.

So Mr 1 billion in fines can potentially find himself forced to pay 1 billion credits for his transgressions.

General_Armchair on
    3DS Friend Code:
  • Options
    The way things work is that if you die in the system where you are wanted, then you're forced to pay your bounty in addition to your rebuy cost.

So Mr 1 billion in fines can potentially find himself forced to pay 1 billion credits for his transgressions.

Ah ok, so that's not so bad. It just sucks that players can't get in on that so it makes the trouble of hunting down players with big bounty, a potentially really fun career track IMO, not a thing worth doing.

• Options
    harvestharvest By birthright, a stupendous badass.Registered User regular
    Can anyone help me figure out Proprietary Composites? INARA says Federation Election systems at unidentified signals (i'm hoping that means combat aftermath, degraded signal, and such) but I 've spent 3-4 hours trying and got nothing. I thought I was doing pretty good on getting specific components but this one has me stymied.

B6yM5w2.gif
  • Options
    Degraded emissions contains trash mats. Don't even bother dropping out of super cruise. You want high grade or encoded emissions.

3DS Friend Code:
  • Options
    Degraded emissions contains trash mats. Don't even bother dropping out of super cruise. You want high grade or encoded emissions.

But you could get a bunch of cargo cans full of gooooold!*
    *Probably not...I haven't seen that since Gamma.

• Options
    Am I going to have to kill some NPC ships in federal space to get what I want? Would finding a combat zone help?

B6yM5w2.gif
  • Options
    SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular
    edited April 2017
    Heads up, Frontier has lowered the prices on paint jobs in the store. Packs are $4, and individual paint jobs are $1.75. They're keeping this pricing structure going forward.

Edit: some special paint jobs, like the Asp community paint, are a bit higher at $2.50.

Syngyne on
    5gsowHm.png
  • Options
    Haha that's great. I paid the regular $7 2 days ago for the tactical Python pack. Not mad, maybe I'll buy the pastel ones now.

B6yM5w2.gif
  • Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    Hot damn the missions available these days compared to when I last played (I quit shortly after the Wings update) are so much better. I actually feel like a space mercenary making solid cash in war zones by stacking up combat missions. I'm finding that I don't feel the grind like I used to because now I take a mission in System A that involves going to System B to do shit, dock at a station in System B to rearm, find that station also has awesome shit to do and just end up wandering around making solid money and having a ball blowing shit up. A couple times now I've had to stop and be like "no, we're not at allied with that other minor faction, get back to System A and get back to farming up Federation rank."

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    Hot damn the missions available these days compared to when I last played (I quit shortly after the Wings update) are so much better. I actually feel like a space mercenary making solid cash in war zones by stacking up combat missions. I'm finding that I don't feel the grind like I used to because now I take a mission in System A that involves going to System B to do shit, dock at a station in System B to rearm, find that station also has awesome shit to do and just end up wandering around making solid money and having a ball blowing shit up. A couple times now I've had to stop and be like "no, we're not at allied with that other minor faction, get back to System A and get back to farming up Federation rank."
    @TOGSolid
    Enjoy it while you can. Some very vocal people on the fdev forums have decided that accepting multiple combat missions is an exploit and fdev has decided to go ahead and prevent you from stacking them in the the 2.3 update.

3DS Friend Code:
This discussion has been closed.