As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Elite: Dangerous] Get a ship, get a crew and keep flying. Now with ALIENS.

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    It's only the massacre missions that are being restricted, to three.

• Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    edited April 2017
    Tube wrote: »
    It's only the massacre missions that are being restricted, to three.

That seems pretty fair. Considering that one kill counted for three massacre missions I had (which I thought was silly to begin with but fuck it, GIMME DAT $$$$$$$$$) I think that's pretty reasonable. I can definitely see stacking like a dozen massacre missions and then doing them all in one shot just by shooting a dozen ships as pretty ridiculous.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    BasilBasil Registered User regular
    I feel some salt when I consider the millions I leave on the table by not aggressively pursuing credit farms more often, but then I remind myself that I don't like getting mad at video games.

9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    I never do them but I don't mind other people doing them. I did one or two sothis runs back in the day which was nice but I don't feel the need to grind those.

I fundamentally don't care if other people are making millions in their first week and buying an Anaconda, but I can understand why the developers clamp down on some of the more ridiculous ones. The massacre missions exploit is probably the worst one that's ever been in the game.

• Options
    DerrickDerrick Registered User regular
    Basil wrote: »
    I feel some salt when I consider the millions I leave on the table by not aggressively pursuing credit farms more often, but then I remind myself that I don't like getting mad at video games.

I just remind myself that I'm a billionaire and the game literally can't pay me to give a shit. I do missions when they're fun.

I've fought in several wars, which to be fair, was very lucrative. I think 3 stacking is a decent compromise, because refreshing the missions boards is a pain in the ass number 1, and number 2 if you stacked too many missions it literally broke the game and crashed it to desktop. That was no fun so I avoided that anyway.

Steam and CFN: Enexemander
  • Options
    harvestharvest By birthright, a stupendous badass.Registered User regular
    Finally found the composites i was looking for, a high grade emission signal with like 5 of them and 2 of the core dynamics components or composite or whatever.

B6yM5w2.gif
  • Options
    The only mission stacking I'll do now is waiting around for passenger missions that are all going to the same place. I mainly do that when I don't really feel like playing but don't mind setting up an exploring jag. I also made fucking dollar on that last run.

• Options
    Is there much more to passengers than just equipping the appropriate cabins? I figure this Python will be good for it once I get a few more engineer upgrades.

B6yM5w2.gif
  • Options
    harvest wrote: »
    Is there much more to passengers than just equipping the appropriate cabins? I figure this Python will be good for it once I get a few more engineer upgrades.

Depends on the passenger. For long range you need to be able to avoid scans. For criminals you also need to be able to smuggle them to a certain extent. Political types may be attacked. Some VIPs are just shitty.

Try not to mix and match passenger types too much. Having a crime boss on board will sour a lot of basic operations. Don't take long range unless you're ready to go for it next, because they'll drop you after three scans and you may need one of those to get out and one to get back in

• Options
    BigityBigity Lubbock, TXRegistered User regular
    Well I had zero luck getting chemical manipulators. Nothing showed up at the nav beacons so I tried the outbreak method and also had zero luck.

However! I finished the modular terminals grind! Ditian is a great place to find them. I quit the game after that, but I guess the next thing is running commodities to Qwent to rep him up until I can get Professor Palin. Then maybe a trip to the black to get rep for him. I don't know. We'll see. I'm just glad to have that damn modular terminals shit out of the way.

I get/got mine from Type-X ships.

• Options
    My loop was to go into one of those Outbreak events with a ton of Type Nines, blow one up, see that it didn't drop any and then get chased out by the space cops. I did that five or six times and it was a little too risky for me while I was still sitting on some data.

Ideally there would be an outbreak with populated instances in an anarchy system, but there's no way to search for a system that granular.

• Options
    I got my manipulators by sitting at a tourist beacon in an anarchy system and blowing up Orcas. Belugas didn't usually have them.

B6yM5w2.gif
  • Options
    Do you happen to remember the system?

• Options
    It's occurring to me now that to fully engineer a ship you really need power plant, shields, engines and FSD before you even think about weapons. Maybe distributor too, and boosters if you want to get really fresh. That's a lot of materials!

• Options
    I got a fucking insane power plant roll from Qwent. Only a rank 4 but it gave me an increase capacity of 38%, leaving me with a cool 49.65 to play with. It's 40% less heat efficient but fuck iiiiiittttttt

• Options
    I got a fucking insane power plant roll from Qwent. Only a rank 4 but it gave me an increase capacity of 38%, leaving me with a cool 49.65 to play with. It's 40% less heat efficient but fuck iiiiiittttttt

I had OC PP 3 on my cutter, but have recently dropped it to OC 1 - I really missed the heat efficiency for scooping and shooting guns.

• Options
    It's occurring to me now that to fully engineer a ship you really need power plant, shields, engines and FSD before you even think about weapons. Maybe distributor too, and boosters if you want to get really fresh. That's a lot of materials!

Just think how bad it was before the cargo requirement was removed.

• Options
    Bigity wrote: »

I had OC PP 3 on my cutter, but have recently dropped it to OC 1 - I really missed the heat efficiency for scooping and shooting guns.

I won't be using this powerplant for exploration scooping (I'll get a cool running one for that). I can run all beams and a PAC on this so that's pretty nice. I'm trying it out now to see if the heat is too much, realistically I don't see myself running an all beam loadout because that's dumb.

• Options
    Ahahahaha it overheats IMMEDIATELY

• Options
    Dunno if ya'll know about this site, but it generates keybinding reference sheets from your bindings files. Pretty handy when learning a new hotas/control setup.

https://www.mcdee.net/elite/

• Options
    Ahahahaha it overheats IMMEDIATELY

Efficient beams and PA?

• Options
    edited April 2017
    Nah, I'll just load it up with something else. I was only using full beams and PA as a deliberate attempt to overdraw the power. I'll leave beams on the medium and small and have large on the fixed front guns (this is going to be my multicrew ship)

Edit: yep, that setup can keep firing for about a full minute without overheating, and the beams or multicannon groups can fire individually for infinity time.

Tube on
  • Options
    I visited Todd The Blaster McQuinn and it turns out I had plenty of materials for multicannons and was able to get a full set of level 3s and enough hugs to unlock Selene Jean. She wants me to mine ore though, so I guess I'll build out the cutter for that. Might be a fun job for multicrew... Then I went to see the dweller and had enough to get him up to level 3 making my turreted beams efficient.

Now that I'm passed the goddamn fucking modular terminals gate I'm actually enjoying unlocking engineers a lot. It helps that I have a lot of miscellaneous materials lying around. I figured out why collector limpets have the option of only collecting one thing: it so you can target salvage without picking up stolen cargo. I chilled out in a nav beacon with an SLF for a while letting her blow people up and then picking up the salvage. It was quite relaxing, and I'm starting to learn which stuff to keep. I was even able to use all of my "worn shield emitters" to unlock Qwent. For Palin I think I'll just go to the black and pick up a bunch of exploration data. Once he's unlocked I'll have the engineer that I really want. Then Lei Chung and Didi Vaterman will allow me to build shield tanks if I get that far.

• Options
    You say have them laying around, is there any way to store the materials for later? I couldn't find any options for that.

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    You have 1000 slots for materials. I've never filled it up all the way.

• Options
    Materials I hover around 950. Data I bump into 500 all the time.

It doesn't help there are several materials and data that aren't even freaking used.

• Options
    There's a ton of stuff that you can just ditch if you don't need that particular thing

• Options
    You have 1000 slots for materials. I've never filled it up all the way.

Huh, I had gotten some stuff from a mission that I looked up and were apparently engineering components but couldn't find a storage for them outside of my cargo hold. Maybe they weren't really engineering things.

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    They got rid of those because it was fucking awful. You can just them now.

• Options
    General_ArmchairGeneral_Armchair Registered User regular
    Wait, what exactly are you talking about TOGSolid?

It almost sounds like he's talking about the engineer commodities like Modular Terminals. They're not really useful for anything other than unlocking access to some engineers, and they still eat up cargo space.

3DS Friend Code:
    Armchair: 4098-3704-2012
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    I did some quick googling to try and remember wtf it was and found it: I got a load of Articulation Motors from a mission and couldn't find an option to stash them. I'm not up to the point where I wanna give a damn about Engineering just yet because I don't have anything worth tricking out (gotta get a Vulture first!) but yeah, all I could do was just shitcan them and didn't realize materials and the engineering commodities were different things because I'm a noooooob.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    General_ArmchairGeneral_Armchair Registered User regular
    Unfortunately there is no way to store those. I've been lamenting all the dozens of modular terminals that I've been forced to sell at Quince because I'm not presently in a position to unlock the relevant engineer and lugging them around in my cargo hold just attracts NPC pirates.

3DS Friend Code:
    Armchair: 4098-3704-2012
  • Options
    I recommend everyone drop some bounty vouchers or data off at Sirius to unlock Qwent so you don't have to waste modular terminals when they come up.

• Options
    I'm getting excited for multi-crew. Figuring out outfitting and such.

Use the Cutter and slap some packhounds and turrets on there. The conda I use fixed cannons and don't really want to mod a bunch of turrets for it.

• Options
    I'm going to put fixed multicannons on the Large and Huge and the rest as turrets. Shinrarta Dezra has made outfitting 300% more fun.

• Options
    edited April 2017
    An update email went out about the MCG from VKB and some of their other upcoming stuff:
    VKB HQ shared with me that they’re planning to ship three variants of the Modern Combat Grip (MCG):

Modern Combat Grip – MCG (as already announced) – $99
    Features 22 programmable buttons

Modern Combat Grip – MCG TM Edition (new!) – $130
    Directly compatible with TM Warthog ™ and TM Cougar ™ bases
    Features 23 programmable buttons

Modern Combat Grip – MCG Pro (new!) – $140
    Folding trigger with contactless MaRS sensors
    Different hat designs included with different shapes, for customization by the user
    Features 27 programmable buttons

At this time I don't have any specifics, except for what's mentioned above (still need to verify if the optional twist adapter will work with all variants, or if non-TM variants can be made to work with TM bases via optional adapters still, etc). So, please stay tuned for more VKB MCG news and updated renders soon! The tentative shipping date for the MCG is still slated for June 2017.

In other news:
    Gunfighter Delays: I currently don't have any new updates on the Gunfighter shipping date; I will update all of you as I receive news from VKB HQ. As always, I'd like to mention that you are free to request a refund if you don't want to wait any longer! Again, we apologize for these delays!

After the Gunfighters ship, VKB HQ will focus on the MCG production, and after that, the focus will shift to the development of the TCS (Throttle Control System) - which is modular in design. This means that customers will be able to customize their VKB TCS with Vintage Throttle Grips (VTG), or Modern Throttle Grips (MTG) to either have a WWII style throttle system, or one based on a modern jet (w/ dual engine option).

After the Throttle Control System, VKB HQ will focus on the 'Kosmosima' Space Simulation Grip.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    Man fuck that lavian brandy unlock

• Options
    Over the last few days I've been unlocking engineers, mostly for the sake of having them. I've had a lot of fun doing it, it's made me do some weird things I wouldn't normally do. I spent a few hours mining to unlock Selene (and thankfully was warned to pick up 10 tons of Painite while I did so, which she'll ask for) and discovered that mining is plenty relaxing but also probably not my thing. I unlocked Lei Cheung (rank 5 shield guy) and it turns out that I had enough materials to try quite a few shield and booster rolls, so my Anaconda is now pretty tanky. Next up is Didi Vaterman, who wants 50 of a rare good that comes in sets of 6. That seems like something I can mostly AFK, but is one of the most boring unlocks so far. I haven't done Professor Palin and his 50 unknown fragments yet. That sounds like a ballache.

TLDR, once I got passed the awful Qwent unlock the engineers are a lot of fun.

• Options
    Over the last few days I've been unlocking engineers, mostly for the sake of having them. I've had a lot of fun doing it, it's made me do some weird things I wouldn't normally do. I spent a few hours mining to unlock Selene (and thankfully was warned to pick up 10 tons of Painite while I did so, which she'll ask for) and discovered that mining is plenty relaxing but also probably not my thing. I unlocked Lei Cheung (rank 5 shield guy) and it turns out that I had enough materials to try quite a few shield and booster rolls, so my Anaconda is now pretty tanky. Next up is Didi Vaterman, who wants 50 of a rare good that comes in sets of 6. That seems like something I can mostly AFK, but is one of the most boring unlocks so far. I haven't done Professor Palin and his 50 unknown fragments yet. That sounds like a ballache.

TLDR, once I got passed the awful Qwent unlock the engineers are a lot of fun.

Woo, good to know. After I get my Vulture my next purchase is an Asp Explorer so I can venture forth for general engineering unlock shenanigans.

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    dylmandylman Registered User regular
    Getting fragments for Palin is actually fairly easy, an hour or so looking for Anomaly detected signal sources at HIP 14479 and you should be done. So worth it for the grade 5 dirty drives.

This discussion has been closed.