As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Elite: Dangerous] Get a ship, get a crew and keep flying. Now with ALIENS.

• Options
    jinkumabutajinkumabuta Registered User regular
    You're in for a pleasant surprise. The Fdl scales ridiculously well with mods. Fully modded, it's a ship that handles like a Viper, has the firepower of a Python, the shield capacity of a pre2.1 corvette not even counting resistances and boosts to 500+ in a straight line.

I've flown mine with 3 healing long range beams and two multicannons along with a wingmate in his own fdl and we could clear a high intensity cz 100 kills mission without ever using a cell bank. I'm not even remotely close to being skilled enough with it to pull those hat tricks either.

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    I blame all of you for not telling me how much fucking faster this is in an Asp. People went "oh lol don't take a big ship" but should have said "yeah you will literally get there three times as fast in an Asp". Also these things are way more expensive to fit out than I remember, but my payout is 68 million so.

• Options
    The time limits on these long hauls are to get there and back right? I have to do 3000 LY a day if that's the case.

• Options
    DerrickDerrick Registered User regular
    Tube wrote: »
    The time limits on these long hauls are to get there and back right? I have to do 3000 LY a day if that's the case.

That is correct.

Steam and CFN: Enexemander
  • Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    Derrick wrote: »

That is correct.

That's caca

• Options
    She has a high tolerance for delays. I wonder how far that extends. If I get her all the way there but not back in time and she doesn't pay me I'm going to space her.

• Options

That is correct.

That's caca

Did you expect your passenger wants to get off at Sag A with a one way ticket? Heh.

• Options
    No, but the time frames become a lot more reasonable if it's "this is the time frame to get there" and then when you get there "this is the time frame to get back"

• Options
    SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular
    She has a high tolerance for delays. I wonder how far that extends. If I get her all the way there but not back in time and she doesn't pay me I'm going to space her.

I think if the mission times out you just fail.

5gsowHm.png
  • Options
    You're in for a pleasant surprise. The Fdl scales ridiculously well with mods. Fully modded, it's a ship that handles like a Viper, has the firepower of a Python, the shield capacity of a pre2.1 corvette not even counting resistances and boosts to 500+ in a straight line.

I've flown mine with 3 healing long range beams and two multicannons along with a wingmate in his own fdl and we could clear a high intensity cz 100 kills mission without ever using a cell bank. I'm not even remotely close to being skilled enough with it to pull those hat tricks either.

I took it bounty hunting just A rated with no engineering, and eh.... Feels like an inbetweener of the FAS and FGS on both the maneuverability and firepower spectrum. The shield tank meta is why it's king right now, I think.

That said, I plan on engineering the ever-loving-funk out of it. After giving up on Tellurium (seriously does this shit exist? Spent two hours trying to get it last night...) I just got the grade 4 overcharged power plant. Thank God it shares the same thrusters with the ASP so I could fly that out to Palin for the dirtiest of drives and just swap modules. Jumping an FDL out there is eating a pistol territory.

I'm not sure on what weapon load out I want, which bleeds into which distributor mod I want. I'm thinking weapon focused because I like the idea of using a large fixed beam on the huge hardpoint. It can be my little Radio Flyer.
    QlJc97D.jpg

But you know, it'll probably have heat issues if I do that.

But you know, what the Hell?
    Ei0vaty.jpg

This is fine

• Options
    And... now I want a Tie Fighter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PN_CP4SuoTU

• Options
    jinkumabutajinkumabuta Registered User regular
    All the rare raw materials exist. Scout your nearby systems you have data on for planets with composition that has a higher percentage of the specific one you're looking for and then land on that planet in the biggest crater you can find. If you can find several craters overlapping, even better. The majority of the time, people look for a flat plain so that they can run fast without losing control and immediately tailflip but the spawn rate is disproportionately higher for rare mats in craters. When I first learned of this and was looking for arsenic, I ended up with 100+ in a couple hours.

I run 3 beams including one huge and a decent roll on weapons-optimized distributors (keep an eye out for nanobreakers on mission boards since those can't be bought) and the heat is manageable if you understand that lasers don't actually produce that much heat until you drain your capacitors past 70% or so and then suddenly they turn into a volcano. If I pace my shots in small bursts and let it recharge back above that dodgy line, I never need to heatsink but if there's an emergency and I need to keep someone with 5 railgun spammers on him alive, then I can let it drain to 70% of so, heatsink and fire for about 10-15 seconds straight to completely fill a cutter's shields thanks to the low heat bonus.

• Options
    Thanks. I had no idea heat build up worked based on your current capacitor. I'll watch out for that.

I got lucky with the nanos Pretty good roll as well. Next up: shields. I heard an EDF mate say the meta on that is to stack thermal to 50 percent and then judt stack general shield strength. I don't have prismatics available so I suppose that's my best bet.

• Options
    LodbrokLodbrok Registered User regular

I took it bounty hunting just A rated with no engineering, and eh.... Feels like an inbetweener of the FAS and FGS on both the maneuverability and firepower spectrum. The shield tank meta is why it's king right now, I think.

That said, I plan on engineering the ever-loving-funk out of it. After giving up on Tellurium (seriously does this shit exist? Spent two hours trying to get it last night...) I just got the grade 4 overcharged power plant. Thank God it shares the same thrusters with the ASP so I could fly that out to Palin for the dirtiest of drives and just swap modules. Jumping an FDL out there is eating a pistol territory.

I'm not sure on what weapon load out I want, which bleeds into which distributor mod I want. I'm thinking weapon focused because I like the idea of using a large fixed beam on the huge hardpoint. It can be my little Radio Flyer.
    QlJc97D.jpg

But you know, it'll probably have heat issues if I do that.

But you know, what the Hell?
    Ei0vaty.jpg

This is fine

Heh... this reminds of a conversation I had with a friend ingame who still does PvP. Not sure how well it works now, or indeed it ever was that good but it's a neat idea. Anyway, when he was attacking a target that he REALLY NEEDED DEAD RIGHT NOW no matter the consequences, he used a build with I think all thermal conduit weapons. Pop shield-cells banks until your heat reaches 400% or so, then open up at the target with all you've got. According to him, guaranteed dead target. Of course, guaranteed dead attacker as well, but who cares!

• Options
    I've got the exploring bug fierce on this journey which is terrible because
    A. I have a schedule to keep
    B. I brought an extra tank instead of a surface scanner and I never use the goddamn tank

• Options
    I keep trying to make this FDL work for me. The Huge Beam seems to be a no go. The distributor just doesn't seem to be able to handle it (even with a well rolled lvl 3 weapon capacitor). I was going 1 Huge Beam, 4 gimbal multis. I changed it instead to 1 Huge Gimbal multi, and 4 fixed pulse lasers. I fly the FDL down to Boo Radley or whatever his name is for some engineering. I went with Rapid Fire and Phase Sequence on the fixed pulses.

I was REALLY underestimating the amount of jitter that would put on the guns. These things go all over the map now. Looks like they're being fired by Ray Charles. Sigh. Also, the phase sequence doesn't seem to be very effective at doing hull damage through shields (which is what it's supposed to do). I was facing off with a gunship and it didn't take any hull damage at all before the shields dropped.

So, back to square one, I guess. *sigh*

In other news, the two friends that I gifted the game gifted it to another friend. We were all on today and I was desperately trying to explain the basic mechanics to them over Discord. It's not easy when they can't even really tell you what they're looking at! I did get to catch two more "newbie docking" sequences though. Always entertaining :) . I thought I would take them for some light bounty hunting in their sidewinders. So, we wing up and go. One friend got a little fiesty with the trigger and killed a clean NPC, which in turn had the cops turn around and kill my other innocent friend (even though we weren't wanted. We were just in the same wing.)

Good times all around. Well, not really. Good times for me. Frustrating times for them. I hope they stick with it.

• Options
    Huh... there is an E:D P&P RPG in the works? Nothing that particularly interest me, but there is some neat concept art at least:

Mech SRV confirmed?

s6eh1Qo.jpg

More here:

imgur.com/a/odYLF

• Options
    THATS WHAT I SAID THEY SHOULD DO OMG

• Options
    RakkahRakkah Registered User regular
    So I recently got the bug for this game a bit (had access since Beta but it never quite clicked). I've been toodling around doing missions and generally having a decent time. I have a Viper IV just about kitted out with A tier components and now I'm a little stuck. I've sided with someone in power play (one of the few folks that didn't seem to be a raging sociopath) but I don't really want to go too deeply into that just yet as it makes no money.

Longer term it seems I'd want to get to a Vulture or something and start kitting that out but there's a bit of a gulf between where I am (floating around 1 mil credits and in a ship worth around 4 mil trade in) and there and I'm not sure how to bridge it.

I'm keen to not over optimise the game as that seems antithetical to enjoying it, but I wouldn't mind some pointers. I like shooting Bad People (and am not entirely terrible at it I think, though nowhere near 'good') I don't mind running a few bits from here to there and I don't mind going down to planets. Anyone have any thoughts on how I go from making ~50 - 100k or so per mission to making sufficiently more that the Next Big Ship becomes feasible?

SC2 SEALanguid.619 USLanguid.362 | Steam
  • Options
    DarkMechaDarkMecha The Outer SpaceRegistered User regular
    edited December 2016
    I so want a mech SRV!

*hits button to get in* "Your Titan is ready Commander, prepare for Titanfall..." And then you get shot out of your ship and down onto the planet from orbit!

DarkMecha on
    Steam Profile | My Art | NID: DarkMecha (SW-4787-9571-8977) | PSN: DarkMecha
  • Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    DarkMecha wrote: »
    I so want a mech SRV!

*hits button to get in* "Your Titan is ready Commander, prepare for Titanfall..." And then you get shot out of your ship and down onto the planet from orbit!

Oops, you didn't check the gravite before hand.

Oops, gravity is 3x that of Earth.

• Options
    ZeroczZerocz Space Cowboy In SpaceRegistered User regular
    Rakkah, have a look a the community goals in the mission board. Keep an eye out for any you can reasonably contribute to. Sometimes even the lower reward tiers are crazy good.

• Options
    Rakkah wrote: »
    So I recently got the bug for this game a bit (had access since Beta but it never quite clicked). I've been toodling around doing missions and generally having a decent time. I have a Viper IV just about kitted out with A tier components and now I'm a little stuck. I've sided with someone in power play (one of the few folks that didn't seem to be a raging sociopath) but I don't really want to go too deeply into that just yet as it makes no money.

Longer term it seems I'd want to get to a Vulture or something and start kitting that out but there's a bit of a gulf between where I am (floating around 1 mil credits and in a ship worth around 4 mil trade in) and there and I'm not sure how to bridge it.

I'm keen to not over optimise the game as that seems antithetical to enjoying it, but I wouldn't mind some pointers. I like shooting Bad People (and am not entirely terrible at it I think, though nowhere near 'good') I don't mind running a few bits from here to there and I don't mind going down to planets. Anyone have any thoughts on how I go from making ~50 - 100k or so per mission to making sufficiently more that the Next Big Ship becomes feasible?

I wouldn't be married to the mission board in terms of building credits. If you like combat, you can take yourself to a resource extraction site (RES) and follow around the cops. RES sites are commonly found in inhabited systems with a gas giant that has rings. You can filter the galaxy map by economy and look for extraction and refinery types to narrow the search if your home system doesn't have a RES site.

Instead of 100k per mission, you could be getting 100k+ per kill bounty hunting in a High RES. It's riskier, but it's fun. Just don't shoot the cops and make sure you scan your targets for wanted status before firing. I was teaching my friend who just got the game how to do it last night and he left with a million+ credits after an hour or so. He was flying a starter sidewinder.

In terms of difficulty, it's Nav Beacons, Low RES, High RES, Haz RES (Haz RES has no cops to help), Corrupted Nav Beacons and I'd say both Combat Zones are roughly equal to Corrupted Nav Beacons. As you can see, the RES sites with cops are pretty low on the list.

Another thing along those lines is that you can become an honest to goodness assassin. Or I guess a "Made Man" would be a better way to put it. Find a criminal faction in a system and run missions for them until you're in good with them. They'll start offering smuggling missions, assassination missions, and planetary base infiltration missions. Eurybia's Blue Mafia is one such place. It's where I flexed my criminal pecs back in the day.

Massacre missions make a good chunk of money if you stack them. Find a system in a state of war, get allied with one of the war factions, and take massacre missions to kill the other side. You'll find them fighting in the combat zones, which again is on the harder end of things with fighting, so be prepared to not be ready for that kind of heat. But you can try it out and see what you think.

If combat isn't totally your bag, there's rare trading (might want to go Cobra 3 or 4 for that, or go up to a type 6 or so).

When I was in your shoes, I sold everything and bought a Diamondback Explorer and went out into the black to explore. Came back with a few extra million and went from there. Exploring is probably the worst way to make money per hour, but especially the first time you do it, it's rewarding in and of itself.

• Options
    DarkMechaDarkMecha The Outer SpaceRegistered User regular
    DarkMecha wrote: »
    I so want a mech SRV!

Oops, you didn't check the gravite before hand.

Oops, gravity is 3x that of Earth.

I imagine that much like the SRV mechs would be designed to handle that sort of thing.

Steam Profile | My Art | NID: DarkMecha (SW-4787-9571-8977) | PSN: DarkMecha
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    And... now I want a Tie Fighter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PN_CP4SuoTU

I'm fairly certain I read somewhere that the powerplant of a TIE Fighter (and its siblings) has no moving parts, by design.

But goddamn, I love that little movie.

*goes CRRRRRRRNRNNNNNNNKKKKKKK when playing TIE Fighter now*

• Options
    So it looks like my voyage may be over unless I can get good at navigating. I headed above the elliptical for better views and now I'm at a point where there are no routes through to my goal. I don't know if the stars are too sparse or my range is too low but it's a huge fucking bummer. I actually got stranded at one point and had to cook off fuel just to get back to a path.

• Options
    delf4delf4 Registered User regular
    So it looks like my voyage may be over unless I can get good at navigating. I headed above the elliptical for better views and now I'm at a point where there are no routes through to my goal. I don't know if the stars are too sparse or my range is too low but it's a huge fucking bummer. I actually got stranded at one point and had to cook off fuel just to get back to a path.

If you haven't done this already try filtering the map to show only non-sequence stars. You might get lucky and find a neutron within jump range to get back on track.

• Options
    edited December 2016
    Did you run out of "jumponium" Tube? If you brought an SRV or mining laser it should be possible to replenish your stores fairly quickly. Or did you have to burn of fuel AND use the materials for increased jump-range? I've never been in a place where it is that long between stars, but it certainly is possible get stuck... although you should be able to back-track unless you are really unlucky.

Lodbrok on
  • Options
    If you're both above the ecliptic and between arms, that's probably what the issue is.

5gsowHm.png
  • Options
    It was indeed, I was stuck in the gap between the second and first arms. I think it's smooth sailing now, because the gap between the first arm and the centre is barely visible.
    Lodbrok wrote: »
    Did you run out of "jumponium" Tube? If you brought an SRV or mining laser it should be possible to replenish your stores fairly quickly. Or did you have to burn of fuel AND use the materials for increased jump-range? I've never been in a place where it is that long between stars, but it certainly is possible get stuck... although you should be able to back-track unless you are really unlucky.

I didn't bring an SRV, because I swore I wouldn't land on planets in case I took hull damage. In retrospect I should have brought one and a detailed surface scanner. I have 16 days to do 18000 light years and THEN get back. I figure it's at least 3000 light years per day. I'm probably not going to get to swing by Colonia at this point, having lost this entire day

• Options
    RakkahRakkah Registered User regular
    Zerocz wrote: »
    Rakkah, have a look a the community goals in the mission board. Keep an eye out for any you can reasonably contribute to. Sometimes even the lower reward tiers are crazy good.

I've seen them and even tried a little but this weeks' efforts seem hard to pull off but I'll keep an eye for next round!
    [cool RES stuff]

That's hugely helpful thanks! I'll definitely try for the high RES. Been staying away from them because it sounds hard and rebuy isn't entirely free (up to ~70k or so) but that's heartening.

SC2 SEALanguid.619 USLanguid.362 | Steam
  • Options
    ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited December 2016

I've seen them and even tried a little but this weeks' efforts seem hard to pull off but I'll keep an eye for next round!
    [cool RES stuff]

That's hugely helpful thanks! I'll definitely try for the high RES. Been staying away from them because it sounds hard and rebuy isn't entirely free (up to ~70k or so) but that's heartening.

Just make sure the space-rozzers are nearby. Funny thing with bounty hunting in RESes, you don't need to kill the target (or even deal the most damage) to get credit for the kill - all you need to do is scan the target with your KWS and tap it once while the space-popo do all the work.

EDIT - then again, it's been a whiles since I played...so, for folks who've done this far more recently than me, is that still how it works?

Erlkönig on
    | Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    Erlkönig wrote: »

[cool RES stuff]

Just make sure the space-rozzers are nearby. Funny thing with bounty hunting in RESes, you don't need to kill the target (or even deal the most damage) to get credit for the kill - all you need to do is scan the target with your KWS and tap it once while the space-popo do all the work.

EDIT - then again, it's been a whiles since I played...so, for folks who've done this far more recently than me, is that still how it works?

More or less. It seems that getting some hull damage in after the shields are down is the best bet to get bounty credit, and I think there's a proximity requirement but I am not sure what it is.

• Options
    It was indeed, I was stuck in the gap between the second and first arms. I think it's smooth sailing now, because the gap between the first arm and the centre is barely visible.
    Lodbrok wrote: »

I didn't bring an SRV, because I swore I wouldn't land on planets in case I took hull damage. In retrospect I should have brought one and a detailed surface scanner. I have 16 days to do 18000 light years and THEN get back. I figure it's at least 3000 light years per day. I'm probably not going to get to swing by Colonia at this point, having lost this entire day

If I were you, I'd probably just say "screw it", take my time, and leave the passengers at Jaques if they complain. "Ok, sorry you didn't like my tour, good luck finding passage back the bubble!". 45k something ly in 16 days is certainly doable, but I found out when I went to Jaques that I really didn't enjoy stressing it and the jump-honk-scoop-jump get olds quickly. Oh, and concensus among hardcore explorers/distance-travellers these days seem to be that packing a small mining laser as an alternative/backup to a srv is worth it. The neutron-jumping has provided lots more opportunities for getting into places you can't get out of.

Here is an interesting (to me at least) thread about some calculations on what the ships in E:D actually produce power-wise:

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php/312995-Some-physics-experiments-on-the-Cobra-MkIII

Apparently, a humble Cobra Mk.III in one of the examples would use about 12 Giga-Watts of power accelerating to 400 m/s in the time it does. This is the rough equivalent of the power output of 12 of these:

?width=975&height=650&ext=.jpg

• Options
    BasilBasil Registered User regular
    edited December 2016
    1440 km/h is pretty zippy to reach from a stand still like that.

I'm laughing now at the notion of our little spaceships dogfighting while attached to Saturn V rockets.

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    BigityBigity Lubbock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited December 2016
    2.2.03 LiveStream notes:

2.2.03 beta tomorrow afternoon, will be live 'in the new year'

They will remove commodities from all Engineer blueprints in 2.2.03. Commodity storage is planned, but low priority and long term project

Exquisite Focus Crystals - missing from game in 2.2, should be fixed in beta

Plan to keep adding more engineer mods and effects (sensors/scanners are next, then mining, then weapons/others)
    -for example, a player suggested mod of slower fire rate for more damage per shot
    - armor piercing missles

Would like to spread the top tier blueprints to multiple engineers (aka more places to get grade 5 X mod)

Trend tracking/punishments for anti-social behavior. 'Vastly asymetrical PvP', combat logging, etc. An internal idea only at this point. Part of the 'Crime and Punishment'

C&P improvents - said this was important, but a major effort

PP collapse - added only when they are happy with the base PP rules.

PP is niche but they want to improve 'in future'
    -merits becoming accrued, not roll over
    -reduce/lock down 5C
    -easier to shed bad (loss making) systems, easier to take system from enemy, making PP less static

Are aware of 'module creep'
    -have ideas of expanding (adding) specialized modules for ship type (ie combat ships have extra combat only slots (armor, module protection))

Micro-jumps (in-system jumps) - pros and cons, not a high priority for now (jokes about micro transaction jumps)

Turrets not currently affected by sensors at the moment, no immediate changes planned

Would like to see some ships (FAS, FGS) 'get' to the level of the FDL

Want to shrink the range of time to kill, then determine if that range needs to increase or decrease overall. Idea is to give time to respond to attacks while respecting the combat power of the bigger ships

Sandro wants to return module tax (at 50%) - but no current plans

CQC bots - would be cool but non-trivial to add

Streams coming soon on other topics, including missions

Wave scanner - 'broken', being overwhelmed by certain planetary features. Being worked on (not in beta)

Bigity on
  • Options
    Bigity wrote: »

Yay. Hopefully this doesn't just mean giving them capability for enormous shields, it'd be nice to see some variation in what's viable.

5gsowHm.png
  • Options
    BigityBigity Lubbock, TXRegistered User regular
    Syngyne wrote: »
    Bigity wrote: »

Yay. Hopefully this doesn't just mean giving them capability for enormous shields, it'd be nice to see some variation in what's viable.

They seem to think the new module protection modules will get them back in the race, or at least, close the gap. I'm not convinced. Now you have to split slots between HRPs and these new modules, while shield strength is staying the same and you can still put in SCBs in shield tank ships instead of either HRP or module armor.

• Options
    They will remove commodities from all Engineer blueprints in 2.2.03.

yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeessssssssssssssss

• Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited December 2016
    I decided to give camping resource extraction sites for bounties a way to raise money rather than waiting for lucrative ~1 million passenger routes, assassinations, etc.

I don't know if I'm doing it wrong or what but...it sucks. Really sucks. If I'm lucky, I run into a bounty worth ~50,000 or so, and he doesn't run away. If I'm not lucky, I get a bunch of contacts worth less than 10,000 each.

I like combat, but grinding for a few hours at the mercy of the RNG sucks. At least on a mission board, I don't have to be actively flying the whole time. On the other hand, I've never found a bounty worth 100,000---the closest I've ever gotten is assassination missions on pirate lords and that sort, and the payment for the actual mission beats the shit out of the bounty frankly--you'll get 700,000 or so for killing someone with a 40,000 bounty.

Maybe I just have bad luck?

Synthesis on
This discussion has been closed.