As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Netflix and chill thread (also other streaming services I suppose)

• Options
    RanlinRanlin Oh gosh Registered User regular
    edited June 2017
    I loved Leftovers S1

I didn't think S2 and S3 were very good in comparison. There were good parts, but it definitely felt like a slog to get to them.

Definitely worth the time, though.

Ranlin on
  • Options
    BasarBasar IstanbulRegistered User regular
    Same here. I really liked The Leftovers S1 but S2 didn't do it for me. Never got around to watching S3.

i live in a country with a batshit crazy president and no, english is not my first language

• Options
    emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    S1 of The Leftovers does ask a lot of its audience, and its darkness can be overbearing, but it sets up the amazing 2nd and 3rd seasons.

Say what you will about other Damon Lindelof projects, but I gotta give the guy credit for hitting it out of park with The Leftovers.

I really need to check out the second and third seasons, season 1 was so beyond my expectations I'm a little sad season 3 is the end.

• Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    Lucha Underground is crazy and amazing. I'm only like 4 episodes in, granted.

We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    OptimusZed wrote: »

Oh. Oh ho ho. Just you wait.

I'm a few episodes into season 2 and I love how goddamn insane and over the top everything is. Best wrestling storylines ever.

There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    Captain TragedyCaptain Tragedy Registered User regular
    edited June 2017
    ObiFett wrote: »
    S1 of The Leftovers does ask a lot of its audience, and its darkness can be overbearing, but it sets up the amazing 2nd and 3rd seasons.

Say what you will about other Damon Lindelof projects, but I gotta give the guy credit for hitting it out of park with The Leftovers.

I was under the impression that S2 was kind of a reboot and had nothing to do with Season 1. That was the primary reason I never even starting watching Season 2...

Nope. They move to a new town, but it's the same core group of characters continuing the plot developments in S1.

Captain Tragedy on
  • Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular

I was under the impression that S2 was kind of a reboot and had nothing to do with Season 1. That was the primary reason I never even starting watching Season 2...

Nope. They move to a new town, but it's the same core group of characters continuing the plot developments in S1.

Yeah, I'd say the first season is 100% required viewing for the 2nd and 3rd.

Which is why I'm hesitant to recommend the show to anyone, despite thinking seasons 2 and 3 are some of the best seasons of a TV show since Breaking Bad.

There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    Raiden333 wrote: »
    OptimusZed wrote: »

Oh. Oh ho ho. Just you wait.

I'm a few episodes into season 2 and I love how goddamn insane and over the top everything is. Best wrestling storylines ever.

The wrestling is really solid, too. It's been a long time since I watched WWF, but I remember it being more lumbering than with Lucha Underground. That they only have ~45 minutes to fill and there's no pay-per-views definitely helps the pacing of both the matches and the storylines.

OptimusZed on

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Raiden333 wrote: »

Yeah, I'd say the first season is 100% required viewing for the 2nd and 3rd.

Which is why I'm hesitant to recommend the show to anyone, despite thinking seasons 2 and 3 are some of the best seasons of a TV show since Breaking Bad.

I would just throw a lot of caution at them and make sure they know what they're getting into. It's close in tone to stuff like Donnie Darko or Requiem for a Dream, but with way better writing and acting.

I'll probably never rewatch this series. I think this is a one time and done kind of deal.

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Donnie Darko holds up on repeat viewings though and is not actually super depressing

• Options
    That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    edited June 2017
    John Wick 2 hit streaming sites and I watched it tonight. Man is that movie tacticool in all the right ways. It's 2 hours of Keanu running the most operator fucking gun routines. I really liked it.
    There's a scene early on where he's running 3 gun going to assassinate his first target. He saves a shell in the side clip and does the tactical reload right at the end. So fucking cool.

That_Guy on
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Donnie Darko holds up on repeat viewings though and is not actually super depressing

Repeat viewings aren't always the best way to judge things like this.

Some of my most memorable viewing experiences happened with things I have no desire to see again.

• Options
    Bliss 101Bliss 101 Registered User regular
    To whoever disparaged this season of Orange is the New Black: you're wrong! This season is great!

In other news, a new season of the insane show Orphan Black is out now. You should watch it.

MSL59.jpg
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    First two episodes haven't been that great, to be honest. Not enough Allison.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    I've been re-binging parks and rec and I kind of forgot how it ends up being a show about love and how great it is and I'm not crying someone get me a steak.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    MalReynoldsMalReynolds The Hunter S Thompson of incredibly mild medicines Registered User regular
    Parks and Rec? More like Love and Friendship are Wonderful Things and Being Emotionally Supportive of those Closest to You feat. Leslie Knope.

"A new take on the epic fantasy genre... Darkly comic, relatable characters... twisted storyline."
    "Readers who prefer tension and romance, Maledictions: The Offering, delivers... As serious YA fiction, I’ll give it five stars out of five. As a novel? Four and a half." - Liz Ellor
    My new novel: Maledictions: The Offering. Now in Paperback!
  • Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    First two episodes haven't been that great, to be honest. Not enough Allison.

That is too bad. Allison is the most badass clone.

• Options
    VoodooVVoodooV Registered User regular
    TexiKen wrote: »
    Bill Nye is getting a second season, and Kimmy Schmidt is getting a 4th season. Don't really agree with either of those choices, especially Bill Nye.

Renew F is For Family though, that last episode had an ending I didn't expect (not the last thirty seconds, the last five minutes)

I really did not care for the last season of Kimmy. Just too much random crap that wasn't that funny. Time to shut it down, Tina.

On the other hand, Season 3 of Voltron in August!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J9aCyBoCeZ0

• Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    edited June 2017
    not [Chat]!

HappylilElf on
  • Options
    chrisnlchrisnl Registered User regular
    So I was bored and looking to see if anything on Netflix caught my eye. So what do I see under Action? Inglorious Basterds for one, but then I check what else they are listing just out of curiosity and there is Big Trouble in Little China. I've heard a lot about Big Trouble in Little China, but I've never seen it, so what the heck?

No, seriously, what the heck? That sure was a thing. It was really entertaining, but I'm not sure if it was good, if that makes any sense. I loved the way that everybody except Jack was acting in one style (the name of it escapes me at the moment), but Jack was just completely different. It really sold the outsider theme. But man, what a wacky movie. I don't think I've seen anything else even remotely like it.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    chrisnl wrote: »
    So I was bored and looking to see if anything on Netflix caught my eye. So what do I see under Action? Inglorious Basterds for one, but then I check what else they are listing just out of curiosity and there is Big Trouble in Little China. I've heard a lot about Big Trouble in Little China, but I've never seen it, so what the heck?

No, seriously, what the heck? That sure was a thing. It was really entertaining, but I'm not sure if it was good, if that makes any sense. I loved the way that everybody except Jack was acting in one style (the name of it escapes me at the moment), but Jack was just completely different. It really sold the outsider theme. But man, what a wacky movie. I don't think I've seen anything else even remotely like it.
    You're not sure if Big Trouble in Little China is any good? No. Not "good." BTiLC is the BEST.

In times like these, just remember what ol' Jack Burton says.

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular

You're not sure if Big Trouble in Little China is any good? No. Not "good." BTiLC is the BEST.

In times like these, just remember what ol' Jack Burton says.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bdkBDjtsURo

• Options
    If it wasn't clear, I really enjoyed the movie. When I say I'm not sure if it's "good" I mean for one, I'm a terrible judge of film quality. I have loved some absolutely awful films, and some really poorly made ones. For another, it's a fairly old movie and so things like special effects are going to be more primitive, though I think what they used held up pretty well.

But yeah, a really fun movie. I kind of wish I had watched it years ago, really, and I'm not sure why I never did.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    that film doesn't really fit in the goodbad continuum, it exists as its own separate thing

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular

It's not good

But the super weird thing it's also not bad

It just somehow exists as a thing that everyone should see

• Options
    VikingViking Registered User regular
    I love that Jack Burton never realises that he is the comedy sidekick character in his own movie
    it is my favorite thing about Big Trouble

steam_sig.png
    Bravely Default / 3DS Friend Code = 3394-3571-1609
  • Options
    The beauty of that film is how clear it is to the audience that everyone else is in a Hong Kong style Kung Fu flick and Jack is this weird outsider that just showed up and tagged along. Wang, Margo, Gracie and Eddie are the actual heroes, but Jack remains blissfully unaware of this all the way through the end credits.

It's an amazing movie from a lot of perspectives, and it's just so much fun. Now that it's on Netflix, I rewatch it every month or so when I finish a show but don't want to start a new one, yet. Still hasn't gotten old.

• Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    I consider Big Trouble in Little China to be one of the greatest movies ever made and is solidly in my top five of all time.

If you want a great companion piece, check out https://www.amazon.com/Official-Making-Trouble-Little-China/dp/1608868710/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1497885864&sr=8-1&keywords=big+trouble+in+little+china+book

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    NinjeffNinjeff Registered User regular
    BTiLC is one of those movies that i think is propelled by an audience that saw it at a certain age.
    Like, as a late 30s adult, i can see its appeal being perplexing.

But if you watched it as like a 13 year old...HOLY CRAP it just becomes the best thing ever. And, strangely, will remain the best thing ever no matter how many other times you watch it from then on.

• Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    MegaMan001 wrote: »
    I consider Big Trouble in Little China to be one of the greatest movies ever made and is solidly in my top five of all time.

If you want a great companion piece, check out https://www.amazon.com/Official-Making-Trouble-Little-China/dp/1608868710/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1497885864&sr=8-1&keywords=big+trouble+in+little+china+book

It kind of transcends itself like The Big Lebowski or Prince of Darkness.

• Options
    DanHibiki wrote: »

Two more things I have not yet seen!

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Fix Lebowski immediately.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options

Prince of Darkness is right up there with In the Mouth of Madness as Call of Cthulhu modules come to life. I'd add Event Horizon, but I never liked that movie because they should've just gone full Warhammer 40K instead of beating around the bush.

• Options
    NinjeffNinjeff Registered User regular

This shit will not stand Dude!

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    I'm enjoying OiTNB season 5 thus far, I'm only a couple episodes in and already Bursett has had more screen time than she had all last season so that's nice.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    themightypuckthemightypuck MontanaRegistered User regular
    I started rewatching Battlestar Galactica (new version). It is on Hulu. I saw it on the initial run but don't remember it all that well. It is pretty interesting and definitely is awash in post 9/11 thoughts and feelings. So far it seems pretty nuanced with little hanging of lampshades and building of straw men. It is still quite silly at times and the special effects are appalling by today's standards so there's that. As a scifi fan, I wish there was something new in the vein but I've seen nothing beyond The Expanse.

“Reject your sense of injury and the injury itself disappears.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

Path of Exile: themightypuck
  • Options
    themightypuckthemightypuck MontanaRegistered User regular
    Ranlin wrote: »
    I loved Leftovers S1

I didn't think S2 and S3 were very good in comparison. There were good parts, but it definitely felt like a slog to get to them.

Definitely worth the time, though.

This. It got worse over time. S2 had a couple of good episodes and the whole thing was well put together. I can't tell if my disappointment with S3 was that it just wasn't that good or that I hated the "message". Season 1 was pretty amazing. Season 2 took a lot of liberties to allow the writers to make "important" episodes. Showrunners need to rewatch The Wire if they want to see how to tell a story.

“Reject your sense of injury and the injury itself disappears.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

Path of Exile: themightypuck
  • Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    I started rewatching Battlestar Galactica (new version). It is on Hulu. I saw it on the initial run but don't remember it all that well. It is pretty interesting and definitely is awash in post 9/11 thoughts and feelings. So far it seems pretty nuanced with little hanging of lampshades and building of straw men. It is still quite silly at times and the special effects are appalling by today's standards so there's that. As a scifi fan, I wish there was something new in the vein but I've seen nothing beyond The Expanse.

Dark Matter and The Killjoys are surprising good. They start off dumb and fun then slowly build the world and plot into something deeper. Definitely fills my "Not as good as The Expanse but still pretty good" space show itch.

• Options
    It is weird that Dark Matter is on US Netflix, but Killjoys isn't. They started the same season on the same network.

Id like to check out Killjoys, but it simply isn't as available as Dark Matter.

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular

There's Stargate: Universe, and Caprica. But yeah, sci-fi series of that quality are few and far between. Darker, more grounded sci-fi tv series are more inclined to be fantasies these days.

This discussion has been closed.