As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Game Dev] I don't have a publisher. What I do have are a very particular set of skills.

• Options
    CornucopiistCornucopiist Registered User regular
    Unity Question. I had issues with positioning of UI parts. I switched everything over to Rect Transform. Now things are worse. Recttransform cascades I guess, but when the screen ratio changes the impact is not predictable.. Any ideas?
    I put in a lot of work setting up every element with Rect Transform so am a bit loath to abandon that.

• Options
    KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    Fifth Generation of the music program complete! Now with Rhythm! (Yes the third generation was the last one. Fourth... had some problems)
    Also I added a drum beat because basically I'll just be taking from existing drum beats anyways, so might as well just throw one in there.

It definitely still makes some... questionable decisions, but I think that's still because the corpus that it's learning from is so small(Currently just... well, just one piece). Hopefully when it has more options it won't corner itself as often.

The next step is giving it a slightly broader method of generation by doing some tricks with the Markov chain if it does back itself into a corner also, so that will help.

• Options
    RendRend Registered User regular
    Unity Question. I had issues with positioning of UI parts. I switched everything over to Rect Transform. Now things are worse. Recttransform cascades I guess, but when the screen ratio changes the impact is not predictable.. Any ideas?
    I put in a lot of work setting up every element with Rect Transform so am a bit loath to abandon that.

There's an option for canvases to set the reference resolution. Doing this will make it predictable.

• Options
    edited October 2016
    That's probably it, I set it to 1280*720 a month or so ago but of course that is not one of the presets in the 'game' aspect ratio presets. I'll try this tomorrow...

Cornucopiist on
  • Options
    LaCabraLaCabra MelbourneRegistered User regular
    LaCabra wrote: »

On Unreal this is basically a one-button job now with the Merge Actors tool. Similar in UDK with its free Simplygon integration.

Simplygon looks neat, but at the moment I'm modelling low polygons in Blender. Select, extrude, deform, repeat. Most of my time is spent moving around UV maps for different colored models. I might use nurbs in my next game, so I'll have a look at it then. Blender's built in Decimate tool isn't too great on reducing poly count; my main beef is that you quickly lose the ability to do boolean operations.

People use nurbs for games?

• Options
    edited October 2016
    Edit: I guess you merely meant to point out that I put 'in' rather than 'when modelling for'.
    No, every export must be converted to polygons. But no-one is going to model a complex shape with polygon modelling tools, so usually you go nurbs to poly in several stages, usually with a bump or normals and/or displacement map.
    Modeling has become crazy high-poly since 'the days' so that last bit is pretty important. But even for low poly models (I'm thinking reindeer somehow) where you don't need fancy mapping, nurbs tools are easier than poly tools. And even there there's often a big difference between default (subdivide) tools and more hands-on-tools.

Cornucopiist on
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    Huh, I don't think I know anyone who ever nurbs

LaCabra on
  • Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    Huh, I don't think I know anyone who ever nurbs

yeah theres been a lot of nurban decay recently

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    edited October 2016
    Months into this new project, I realized I could have saved (view_wport[0]/2) (half the width of the viewport) as a variable in the first room, and not have to look up the blood thing every time I needed it.

Ugh, would it be worth it to find every time I used it to try and replace it?

RoyceSraphim on
  • Options
    Steam Dev Days: me and a friend just visited Valve and smashed them at HLDM.

• Options
    MachwingMachwing It looks like a harmless old computer, doesn't it? Left in this cave to rot ... or to flower!Registered User regular
    hope you gauss jumped like a true death matcher

a real deather matchman

l3icwZV.png
  • Options
    KashaarKashaar Low OrbitRegistered User regular
    Machwing wrote: »

a real deather matchman

I had the pleasure of watching it live, and hells yes he did.

Indie Dev Blog | Twitter | Steam
    Unreal Engine 4 Developers Community.

I'm working on a cute little video game! Here's a link for you.
  • Options
    UselesswarriorUselesswarrior Registered User regular
    Rend wrote: »

There's an option for canvases to set the reference resolution. Doing this will make it predictable.

That's a good suggestion, you can also use layout groups in your UI (my memory is failing on the exact name) that will keep your UI "responsive" to resolution changes.

Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
  • Options

That's a good suggestion, you can also use layout groups in your UI (my memory is failing on the exact name) that will keep your UI "responsive" to resolution changes.

I think my main issue is that I have anchors on higher level groups. Or at least that's the current thesis and likely the last one I feel for testing.
    Saturday evening I swapped from swiping to tracking touch controls in 2 lines and 10 minutes.
    Having to spend a gazillion hours on 'where my buttons go' is very frustrating, like trying to get Word to do QuarkXpress stuff back in 1997.

• Options
    Well, that seems to have done the trick. Set every 'grouping' level object to stretch and only the actual elements (lowest level) anchored.

• Options
    Kashaar wrote: »

a real deather matchman

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YdF6Jd0MegM&feature=youtu.be

just sayin

• Options
    ThendashThendash Registered User regular
    Nintendo Switch will support UE4. This is cool, I wonder what the indie scene will look like. How easy is it to get a game on the Wii U currently?

• Options
    TimeTurtleTimeTurtle Registered User new member
    Reposting from a thread I made.

So recently, I have been trying to develop a 2D sandbox game of some sort. I made a simple one with C# on Unity3D, but I notice that Unity has its limitations. I want to know what the most efficient and easiest to learn language is, and a simple way to publish or compile my game with. I heard that this community is well experienced with this kind of stuff and I want to ask YOU guys for your own opinions.

• Options
    What's your experience?

Unreal is super powerful and relatively friendly if you use Blueprint.

• Options
    MachwingMachwing It looks like a harmless old computer, doesn't it? Left in this cave to rot ... or to flower!Registered User regular
    Kashaar wrote: »

a real deather matchman

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YdF6Jd0MegM&feature=youtu.be

just sayin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UcZzlPGnKdU

l3icwZV.png
  • Options
    TimeTurtleTimeTurtle Registered User new member
    What's your experience?

I know a thing or two about C# and Java, and that's about it. I would like to get into C++ though, and I'm thinking about writing my own framework or just use an already existing one.

• Options
    TimeTurtle wrote: »
    What's your experience?

I know a thing or two about C# and Java, and that's about it. I would like to get into C++ though, and I'm thinking about writing my own framework or just use an already existing one.

Out of curiosity, what are the limitations you're running into in unity?

• Options
    templewulftemplewulf The Team Chump USARegistered User regular
    Does anyone know if there are any C# events that I can use to have an item clean itself up after being removed from a List<T>?

I'm putting some cross-scene data in game "phases", and when a phase is removed from the list of phases, I want it to persist its data and do other cleanup. Since it's memory managed, the Phase destructor could hypothetically get called several scenes later and overwrite newer data.

Is there anything built in, or should I just call a "Phase::End()" method within my management code and move on?

Twitch.tv/FiercePunchStudios | PSN | Steam | Discord | SFV CFN: templewulf
  • Options
    templewulf wrote: »
    Does anyone know if there are any C# events that I can use to have an item clean itself up after being removed from a List<T>?

I'm putting some cross-scene data in game "phases", and when a phase is removed from the list of phases, I want it to persist its data and do other cleanup. Since it's memory managed, the Phase destructor could hypothetically get called several scenes later and overwrite newer data.

Is there anything built in, or should I just call a "Phase::End()" method within my management code and move on?

I'm not sure there's a built in event for that. I'd probably create a wrapper for list whose remove method removed the item and cleaned it up, so you wouldn't have to worry about cleaning up from multiple places

• Options

I'm not sure there's a built in event for that. I'd probably create a wrapper for list whose remove method removed the item and cleaned it up, so you wouldn't have to worry about cleaning up from multiple places

Yeah, I already have a FSM kind of thing for my phases, so I can put it there. I was just hoping to move responsibility into the object itself. Thanks for the recommendation!

• Options
    edited October 2016
    Work dialed down, implemented a state machine for player control and spawning, and I'm so damn happy it worked.

Now the long term question is how many different objects can I use the same states in without creating a massive State machine list?

Edit: you never realise how many ways there are to start the first level of a schmup until you have to code it.

RoyceSraphim on
  • Options
    l_gl_g Registered User regular
    TimeTurtle wrote: »
    Reposting from a thread I made.

So recently, I have been trying to develop a 2D sandbox game of some sort. I made a simple one with C# on Unity3D, but I notice that Unity has its limitations. I want to know what the most efficient and easiest to learn language is, and a simple way to publish or compile my game with. I heard that this community is well experienced with this kind of stuff and I want to ask YOU guys for your own opinions.

All engines have limitations, the question is what limitation is in Unity that is relevant to your project. If you aren't sure if it really is a concern, you should research it specifically.

C# is a very efficient language, but the C# garbage collector of the terribly old version of C# Unity uses poses problems of its own for very large and complex projects. This limitation, however, may not be relevant to your project. If your game is deeply performance-demanding, know that the code will need to be written in a way that is not nearly as breezy as you can be with C#, because managing memory is really important. One of the world's most popular open world sandboxes, Minecraft, is implemented in Java, which is another garbage collected language. Starbound is implemented in a custom engine in C++. Terraria is implemented in C# in XNA. The entire set of Amplitude's released games (i.e. Endless Legend, Endless Space, Dungeon of the Endless) are made in Unity, and they are very complex games.

Useful questions might be "are there features in other engines that are really convenient that Unity doesn't have that are relevant to my project?" and "does the Unity Asset have assets that would cover those needs?".

Cole's Law: "Thinly sliced cabbage."
  • Options
    ThendashThendash Registered User regular
    I would guess it's from the room origin.

• Options
    Has anyone here made anything in Unity with cinematic scripting?

For example, I'm trying to figure out how to organize something like:
    • Exit action area 1
    • Enter action area 2
    • Get MacGuffin from area 2
    • Return to area 1
    • Now see a cutscene involving MacGuffin in area 1

Obviously, I don't want a million collider boxes for story that check for plot items every time you collide with them. I mean... do I?

• Options
    l_gl_g Registered User regular

• Exit action area 1
    • Enter action area 2
    • Return to area 1

Obviously, I don't want a million collider boxes for story that check for plot items every time you collide with them. I mean... do I?

You might. They might not come in the form of collider boxes, because some of the triggering actions might not sensibly be associated with colliders.

A fairly well-known problem at this point in the history of games is "how do we script questlines and things associated with them?". But even though it's a well-known problem, that doesn't mean it's a small or simple problem; quite the opposite, in fact! And due to the large number of data dependencies it could entail, a working implementation is not the same as an easily testable implementation.

Depending on the complexity and quantity of the quests (even if you don't really want to call them quests, let's just call them that because they are a line of tasks for the player to complete which result in the triggering of actions/events/rewards/whatever), you will need a system of some kind for defining and evaluating them. Trigger zones for quest conditions have been around for forever, so don't feel bad that you need to do that if that's the solution that makes sense in the context of your game. Depending on how your game is structured, you may need a system for deciding when they are active based on active quest lines.

Cole's Law: "Thinly sliced cabbage."
  • Options
    HallowedFaithHallowedFaith Call me Cloud. Registered User regular
    edited October 2016
    So, I am working on trailers and I suck. It's hard enough to showcase a puzzle game, let alone in 30 seconds for Twitter ads and also trying to figure out how After Effects works, lol.

Anyway, some feedback would be great, still a WIP and I want to make it better. I already know most will hate the transitions and the first VO line is being re-recorded.

Edit: Accidentally deleted the old one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K7Oc6gs82Q8

HallowedFaith on
    I'm making video games. DesignBy.Cloud
  • Options
    KashaarKashaar Low OrbitRegistered User regular
    So, I am working on trailers and I suck. It's hard enough to showcase a puzzle game, let alone in 30 seconds for Twitter ads and also trying to figure out how After Effects works, lol.

Anyway, some feedback would be great, still a WIP and I want to make it better. I already know most will hate the transitions and the first VO line is being re-recorded.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Ip-JKfUOzI

I like it actually - the opening line is perfect in setting the tone, it's the closing line whose performance I find the weakest. The sound effect at 0:11/12 was pretty jarring though, because it clashed with the melody and harmonics of the rest of it. I'd probably overdub that with one that sounds different and feels more pleasant, even if you keep it unchanged in game. (No one will notice or care that they're different.)

Other than that I think it's a good trailer for the game!

Indie Dev Blog | Twitter | Steam
    Unreal Engine 4 Developers Community.

I'm working on a cute little video game! Here's a link for you.
  • Options
    KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    The music system improving! I ended up going back and re-doing the rhythm system(it still functions almost the same as it did, but now it's just cleaner. And works correctly) and re-doing the way that it considered ties.

Next step is fixing density and giving it some farther-forwards-looking capabilities, since currently is only weights for the immediate. And eventually I'm going to have to figure out if I can further structure the bass lines, since they're the most likely to completely go off into their own little world.

• Options
    I took some advice and strung together this trailer. I know this one has flaws with timing and stuff but I'm just one guy with no trailer experience haha. I think it works.

Would love some feedback.
    Also, if anyone has any questions regarding development of this project, please feel free to ask!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vI8bYxH7X2o

• Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    l_g wrote: »

• Exit action area 1
    • Enter action area 2
    • Return to area 1

You might. They might not come in the form of collider boxes, because some of the triggering actions might not sensibly be associated with colliders.

A fairly well-known problem at this point in the history of games is "how do we script questlines and things associated with them?". But even though it's a well-known problem, that doesn't mean it's a small or simple problem; quite the opposite, in fact! And due to the large number of data dependencies it could entail, a working implementation is not the same as an easily testable implementation.

Depending on the complexity and quantity of the quests (even if you don't really want to call them quests, let's just call them that because they are a line of tasks for the player to complete which result in the triggering of actions/events/rewards/whatever), you will need a system of some kind for defining and evaluating them. Trigger zones for quest conditions have been around for forever, so don't feel bad that you need to do that if that's the solution that makes sense in the context of your game. Depending on how your game is structured, you may need a system for deciding when they are active based on active quest lines.

Another way to handle it might be to make collider zones dynamic, and have the quests themselves spawn and despawn them as appropriate.

• Options
    UselesswarriorUselesswarrior Registered User regular
    I took some advice and strung together this trailer. I know this one has flaws with timing and stuff but I'm just one guy with no trailer experience haha. I think it works.

Also, if anyone has any questions regarding development of this project, please feel free to ask!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vI8bYxH7X2o

Looks good.

The font selection and color contrast could be better in your text inserts.

Is an iOS verision coming?

Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
  • Options
    edited October 2016

*Snip*

Looks good.

The font selection and color contrast could be better in your text inserts.

Is an iOS verision coming?

Maybe. We'll see how things go. Hardware to publish on Apple isn't cheap. XD
    CqCyWWb.png

Anyway, I know some of you are burning the midnight oil on gamedev and stuff. Just wanted to swing by and wish you a Happy Halloween! Don't eat too much candy! XD

jR16R7a.png

HallowedFaith on
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    I just learned about script tabs in Gamemaker, which would have made things a lot neater earlier on.

Edit: I desire to have a boss fire an arrow from three objects I set in the room. I currently have a script, untested comma that uses a random window ( these windows are objects) as the origin point of the arrow. It just occurred to me, would it be better to have a the boss script tell those windows to run a script to fire an arrow (to the left at a default speed) or keep the arrow firing commands all inside the boss and keeping those windows as reference points?

RoyceSraphim on
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    I just learned about script tabs in Gamemaker, which would have made things a lot neater earlier on.

Edit: I desire to have a boss fire an arrow from three objects I set in the room. I currently have a script, untested comma that uses a random window ( these windows are objects) as the origin point of the arrow. It just occurred to me, would it be better to have a the boss script tell those windows to run a script to fire an arrow (to the left at a default speed) or keep the arrow firing commands all inside the boss and keeping those windows as reference points?

Depending on the complexity of how you want the base objects to shoot from, I would simply have them as their own entity that the boss simply calls. My philosophy with this aspect of code design is that 'every moving part gets it's own house.' It also makes things VERY reusable (yay reusing things!).

Ie: If you want the windows to shoot different ways or even move around and have different phases that are triggered by various things, you can simply call them by those various things - instead of having all the code related to something else inside the boss.

Basically, would you want your brain to be in someone elses body or your own? ;)

HallowedFaith on