Options

[Game Dev] I don't have a publisher. What I do have are a very particular set of skills.

• Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    edited December 2016
    Zibblsnrt wrote: »
    https://youtu.be/V7YjvWq5F8w

Progress, but now I dislike the sound.

edit: I may have made it too hard for me to play.
    Unsure about what made the quit command glitch.

A properly-designed sidescroller will make its players at least occasionally want to put their head through the screen, so...

(Also as far as visuals go, I particularly like the look of the mountains and/or pyramids in the early part of the background there.)

I'm thinking of something between Jacob Lawrence and Flashback, but what I sketch on paper, and what comes out in gimp, paint, and gamemaker is quite different.

Then there's shaders to think about.

Thank you.

edit: They're mountains. The story should visibly be, come from mountains to tower, go up river, enter city, attack castle.

Remember kids, if you cannot decide on what to make work, there is always several lines of code you should comment on.

RoyceSraphim on
  • Options
    KashaarKashaar Low OrbitRegistered User regular
    Animation is hard, you guys.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PEIXjn1WrQI

But I'm quite happy with this, for now. Next: turning loops...

Indie Dev Blog | Twitter | Steam
    Unreal Engine 4 Developers Community.

I'm working on a cute little video game! Here's a link for you.
  • Options
    templewulftemplewulf The Team Chump USARegistered User regular
    Is there a reason in unity 2d no one seems to use bounds for camera constraints? I tried to find some example cameras, and I keep seeing this snippet everywhere:
    var vertExtent = Camera.main.camera.orthographicSize;    
             var horzExtent = vertExtent * Screen.width / Screen.height;

// Calculations assume map is position at the origin
             minX = horzExtent - mapX / 2.0;
             maxX = mapX / 2.0 - horzExtent;
             minY = vertExtent - mapY / 2.0;
             maxY = mapY / 2.0 - vertExtent;

But what I ended up with seems more readable to me:
    void Start()
        {
            cameraPositionBounds = CalculateCameraPositionBounds(CalculateLevelBoundaries(), GetComponent<Camera>());
        }

void Update()
        {
            var destination = ClampVectorToBounds(cameraPositionBounds, target.position);
            // etc
        }

public static Bounds CalculateCameraPositionBounds(Bounds bounds, Camera cam)
        {
            return new Bounds(bounds.center, (bounds.extents - CameraOrthoToVector(cam)) * 2);
        }

public static Vector3 CameraOrthoToVector(Camera cam)
        {
            float height = cam.orthographicSize;
            float width = height * cam.aspect; // height * aspectRatio
            return new Vector3(width, height);
        }

public static Vector3 ClampVectorToBounds(Bounds bounds, Vector3 destination)
        {
            return bounds.Contains(destination) ? destination : bounds.ClosestPoint(destination);
        }

Am I missing something?

Twitch.tv/FiercePunchStudios | PSN | Steam | Discord | SFV CFN: templewulf
  • Options
    edited December 2016
    Powerup system implemented

But I just discovered I had my keyboard checks backwards so the inputs and outputs are correct, but the code dance in-between them is wrong.

edit: Corrected inputs
    Charge attack and blade attack work properly
    Discovered that several movement variables were not properly linked to the control object and I had set variables in the player that should have gone back to control.

After much fixing, everything appears to work properly, so after some housekeeping.......I think I'm ready for level 2

RoyceSraphim on
  • Options
    HandkorHandkor Registered User regular
    So I ended up with a cool Xmas present.

During the reveal of the December UE4JAM winners they had Tim Sweeney play the winning games.

I had my game played by Tim Sweeney.
    https://www.twitch.tv/unrealengine/v/109182696?t=22m49s

• Options
    HallowedFaithHallowedFaith Call me Cloud. Registered User regular
    Hey guys, Humble Bundle has another Gamedev Bundle going. Get tools, help sick kids!

https://www.humblebundle.com/game-developer-software-bundle

czSOuPV.png

I'm making video games. DesignBy.Cloud
  • Options
    ZavianZavian universal peace sounds better than forever war Registered User regular
    Hey guys, Humble Bundle has another Gamedev Bundle going. Get tools, help sick kids!

Awesome bundle! I already own some of it, so decided to share my leftovers! The winner of Spriter Pro will also receive Game Effects Pack DLC!
    signature.png
    signature.png
    These are open to all members of the Penny Arcade Steam Group!

• Options
    SupagoatSupagoat Registered User regular
    I just saw this thread and it seems to be legal to talk about games you're working on - but that seems to go against https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/143123/if-youre-here-to-post-about-the-game-you-or-your-company-made ... So what are the rules of this thread?

bnet: Supagoat#1884
    Switch: 6589-6405-3399
  • Options
    A mod will have to confirm the details but this thread is more about developing and progress than posting a finished product. Also helping each other out.
    You can post your game if we've been following its development for a couple of months and you finally got it released.

• Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    edited December 2016
    Supagoat wrote: »
    I just saw this thread and it seems to be legal to talk about games you're working on - but that seems to go against https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/143123/if-youre-here-to-post-about-the-game-you-or-your-company-made ... So what are the rules of this thread?

I think that's more a general warning to people who only come to the forums to promote their product. We're all active PA forum members who are helping each other by sharing advice, code pieces, art asset progress, and other things pertaining to our games. In some way, yeah we're still promoting our works, but that's not the primary purpose of the thread.

I think of that this thread is for getting help or showing off progress of games currently being worked on, instead of saying "I made this game like 6 months ago, go buy it here."

Edit - Das beaten by el Handkor.

KoopahTroopah on
  • Options
    Very cool! Well, I have a game that I'm working on which is in the pretty early stages that I'll have to start posting about.

• Options
    Two years learning this software in my off time, just learned where I could take notes that are not code comments.

Gamemaker

Also, state machines are glorious.

• Options
    State Machines are life.

• Options
    RendRend Registered User regular
    State machines are light

• Options
    Speaking of promotion! Here's the latest on my little project from just before christmas:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZUgCzM1LKA

• Options
    edited December 2016
    Currently running a state machine for ranged and melee to handle upgrades.

edit: Latest version
    https://youtu.be/UDD3iNXY43k

It was only after changing my player sprite that I realized that I had essentially created one the same problems that made the silver surfer game suck on NES, player sprite too big for the environment and a bigger target.

Now to find some stinking research data for Avaris, the city this was supposed to actually have taken place in.

RoyceSraphim on
  • Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    Set the game to 10x10 resolution, it looks better

ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0U0k40EI_xw

Here's the first look at what I'm working on. I confess it isn't an original idea, but its inspiration is years old now and as far as I know has never seen a version or clone outside the PS1 and PSP/Vita which, imho, are a terrible choice of platform for it.

It may not look like much yet, but all the chips there are fully implemented along with the CPU processing. I'm using the Final-IK sand crawler for the moment (And I experimented adding some box colliders to it and I'm making it move faster than it likes to, so the legs are going a bit wonky, but I'll make my own mech soon).

Lots of work still to do but this foundation is solid and ready for more work to be done on it.

• Options
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0U0k40EI_xw

Here's the first look at what I'm working on. I confess it isn't an original idea, but its inspiration is years old now and as far as I know has never seen a version or clone outside the PS1 and PSP/Vita which, imho, are a terrible choice of platform for it.

It may not look like much yet, but all the chips there are fully implemented along with the CPU processing. I'm using the Final-IK sand crawler for the moment (And I experimented adding some box colliders to it and I'm making it move faster than it likes to, so the legs are going a bit wonky, but I'll make my own mech soon).

Lots of work still to do but this foundation is solid and ready for more work to be done on it.

Spider?

• Options
    Spider?

The robot thing there? Yeah that's the Final-IK demo sand spider robot.

• Options
    Spider?

The robot thing there? Yeah that's the Final-IK demo sand spider robot.

Oh, I was talking about your inspiration.

• Options
    Oh, I was talking about your inspiration.

Ahh. The inspiration is Carnage Heart.

• Options
    All that stuff is slick and sexy.

• Options
    Nice work with the stealth door opening. Other implementations I've played in the past have been... Herky jerky....

• Options
    edited January 2017
    Great playlist here for learning GameMaker: Studio

How to make the Legend of Zelda in Game Maker

HallowedFaith on
  • Options
    Having fun toying with simple mobile ideas... sooo ... how about.. Toast Toast Fruit Ninja Revolution.... lol.

z2vOE9X.gif

• Options
    ZibblsnrtZibblsnrt Registered User, Moderator mod
    That's kind of fantastic.

Meanwhile, the joy of trying to puzzle something out with a stack of debug logging statements that are (currently) larger than my movement code. Wheeee(head passing through desk noises)!

• Options
    edited January 2017
    Should I make this boat a child of the ground and have the same ground collision script work, or a child of the master enemy?

I can always rewrite the ground collision script and not be lazy.

edit: This is the code for the crocodile jumping in the air. Are there any parts that you think might be shortened? I mean, this works "fine" (need to tweak the speeds so the player has a change and change the attack range. But overall, what are your thoughts?
    ///Cocodile behavior
    //The crocodile spawns on the right of the room and swims slowly to the left.
    //When the player enters the croc's attack range, it switches to the attack state
    //under the attack state, it flies up past the player
    //when the croc reaches where the player was in terms of heigh, crock falls back down in a flying (falling with style) state.

switch (state)
    {
        case states.idle:
        {
            x += -movespeed //swim to the left
            sprite_index = spr_croceyes; //just see the eyes
            mask_index = spr_croceyes;
            image_angle = 0;
            scr_sin_movement(); //swim up and down.
            origin = y; //mark its origin every frame
            var leap; //so we have leap variable
            leap = collision_rectangle(x - 50, 0, x + 10, y, obj_player, false, true); //leap variable is checking in a location
            if leap && cooldown //if leap and cooldown are true 
            {
                // set a target variable
                target = obj_player.y; //target is the player's height at this moment
                mask_index = spr_croc_leap;//change collision mask to the leap sprite
                sprite_index = spr_croc_leap; //switch to the leap attack
                image_index = 0; //start of the animation
                state = states.attack1; //switch to the attack state

}
            break; //break, no more scripting
        }

case states.attack1: //in the attack state
        {   
            //moving the crock
            x += -movespeed * 0; //crock stops swimming to the left
            y += (origin - target) * -0.1; //croc flies up
            image_angle = 90;
            // damaging the player
            var inst = instance_place(x,y,obj_player); //if the croc collides with the player object
            if (inst!=noone) //if its actually colliding with one of them, aka not not colliding
            {    
                with (inst) //with the thing its colliding with (the player)
                {
                    health = health - 1; //lower the player's health by  -1
                }
            }
            if y <= target //if player exceeds what the player height was
            {
            cooldown = false;//start cooldown

state = states.flying; //switch to flying (falling with style)
            }
            break;
        }

case states.flying: //if flying
        {
        y +=  movespeed * 4; //fall down at movespeed + grav
        if y >= origin - sprite_width/2 //if at or past the origin plus half the sprite's width ( it was drawn flat)
            {
            y = origin; //reset croc to origin
            alarm[0] = room_speed * 4; //start cooldown timer
            state = states.idle; //switch to the idle state
            }
        }
    }

RoyceSraphim on
  • Options
    edited January 2017

czSOuPV.png

Does anyone have any opinions on this bundle?

My toolchain so far has been Unity, Clip Studio Paint Pro (aka Manga Studio), and GIMP. Should I bother if I'm already drawing my own sprites and don't have any interest in voxel or hexel art styles?

templewulf on
  • Options
    ZavianZavian universal peace sounds better than forever war Registered User regular
    templewulf wrote: »

czSOuPV.png

Does anyone have any opinions on this bundle?

My toolchain so far has been Unity, Clip Studio Paint Pro (aka Manga Studio), and GIMP. Should I bother if I'm already drawing my own sprites and don't have any interest in voxel or hexel art styles?

Spriter Pro is great for doing animations. The DLC packs in the higher tiers aren't really necessary, but do give a good base of animations to work with. I haven't tried out the other apps included with the highest tier yet though. $1 Spriter Pro is worth it though

• Options
    Going from gimp to aseprite let me realize how cluttered my gimp work environment was.

If the various software have free demos, try those and see how long it takes to copy or improve one of your core assets from scratch.

• Options
    edited January 2017
    I picked up the bundle eventhough I mostly do 3d work. Spriter looked like a great way for me to try to do 2D stuff. I don't really care about the rest though but through the bundle it was an inexpensive way to try these tools out, although I still went with the 10$+ option.

Handkor on
  • Options
    Handkor wrote: »
    I picked up the bundle eventhough I mostly do 3d work. Spriter looked like a great way for me to try to do 2D stuff. I don't really care about the rest though but through the bundle it was an inexpensive way to try these tools out, although I still went with the 10$+ option.

Neat! Does Spriter export animations in a format that Unity can use?

• Options
    edited January 2017
    templewulf wrote: »
    Handkor wrote: »

Neat! Does Spriter export animations in a format that Unity can use?

I haven't even tried it yet. I'm using UE4 but I assumed to simply use spritesheets and flipboards. Googling around it looks like Spriter only exports png sheets or animated gif.

If Spriter had fbx export as polygons rigged on flat skeletons and animated that would be awesome as the full power of the animation system would be at your disposal but I can already use my current 3d apps for that.

I don't know what Unity uses though.

Edit: Did some quick searching for 2D skeleton animation suites and found this creature.kestrelmoon.com/ that looks pretty good. I am sure there are others and better too but Spriter seems to be more an inexpensive solution to making and animating sprites.

Handkor on
  • Options
    This isn't spectacular or anything, but I thought I'd try writing a vector field generation script in Python just now. Seems to work!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GBdN-irm_JY

So much for the uniform noise... now for more interesting vectors!

• Options
    Alistair HuttonAlistair Hutton Dr EdinburghRegistered User regular
    So Pico-8 development is like, super fun.

I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

I made a game, it has penguins in it. It's pay what you like on Gumroad.

Currently Ebaying Nothing at all but I might do in the future.
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    Here's a question
    // bullet impact
    var inst = instance_place(x,y,obj_player); //if this is the player object
    if (inst!=noone) //if its actually colliding with one of them, aka not not colliding
    {    
        //instance_create(x,y, obj_explosion); //create an explosion
        instance_destroy();    //destroy the bullet
        with (inst) //with the thing its colliding with
        {
            health = health - 1; //lower the player's health by  -1
        }
    }

how do I replace that -1 in line...9 with a variable from the enemy object I'm calling from? I ran it with a variable called damage and it looked for it in the obj_player's variables.

RoyceSraphim on
  • Options
    PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    Maybe have the bullet carry the damage amount