As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

G&T Secret Santa 2016: You'll go down in history...

• Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    Welp, that was a fun round of Secret Santa. Nice to get these things done early.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    SwashbucklerXXSwashbucklerXX Swashbucklin' Canuck Registered User regular
    edited November 2016
    Assignments are out? Then it's time for my usual public service post!

So You Got a Canadian Santee, Eh?

Here are some tips!

For sending packages from outside Canada:

It's cool, you can do this! Customs Canada will probably not replace your gift with a bottle of bleach! I mean, it's only happened once. So far.

1. I recommend using regular post instead of a courier to send internationally. Probably cheaper for you, and avoids your Santee being charged a bullshit "customs brokerage" fee that can go up to like $20-$25! FedEx and DHL are particularly fond of these. If you do use a courier, ask if such a fee will be charged.
    2. Sadly, I recommend against sending booze over the border. You could get lucky, but Customs don't play.
    3. Here is the Canadian address format:

Henrietta Hoser
    506-6004 Goose Doot Lane (506 is unit number, 6004 is building number... but they'll also understand 6004 Goose Doot Lane, Apt. 506 if that makes you nervous)
    Mooseville, SK G5D 8T2

For buying stuff from online vendors within Canada:

1. Most big US stores have Canadian equivalents, but not all of these Canadian equivalents will let you pay with a US credit card. Best Buy, for example.
    2. Amazon.ca is a pretty good choice because our free shipping is still down at $35 CAN instead of $50 USD on Amazon.com. I don't think your US Prime benefits work on Amazon.ca, though.
    3. Other pretty cool Canadian choices for geeky stuff: videogamesplus.ca is good for finding niche games (at full retail price). boardgames.ca is a nice reliable source for board games and related goodies, and often has sales (hmm, though they seem to be pulling some weird stuff with shipping right now)
    4. Our dollar is sitting at around 70-75 US cents right now, so everything looks expensive in our stores but actually isn't (for Americans, at least).

Either way:
    1. Put your Santee's full name and not just username on their package. Probably a good rule for everybody, but Canada's postal depot system definitely requires a driver's licence, and our parcels are often held at one for pickup. Somewhere in the ancient annals of Secret Santa is a hilarious story about a PAer attempting to explain forum handles to a hapless recent immigrant postal depot employee.

Now back to stalking!

SwashbucklerXX on
    Want to find me on a gaming service? I'm SwashbucklerXX everywhere.
  • Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    I mean, I can tell you the pregnancy status of probably....50% of people on the Earth.

I can assure you I am not pregnant... though not for lack of trying.

Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Options
    AnarchyAnarchy Registered User regular
    Dear Santee, I'm really sorry. Good luck! That is all.

"Oh, well, this would be one of those circumstances that people unfamiliar with the law of large numbers would call a coincidence."
  • Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited November 2016
    It's on!

I have an amusing observation to make about my Santee's street but I can't do so without giving the game away! Someone remind me for after Christmas.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    Not seen these posted yet. They're here for when you need them:

Giftget.gif
    GiftGet2_zps093b52db.gif

"Oh, well, this would be one of those circumstances that people unfamiliar with the law of large numbers would call a coincidence."
  • Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    edited November 2016
    Anarchy wrote: »
    Not seen these posted yet. They're here for when you need them:

Giftget.gif
    GiftGet2_zps093b52db.gif

They're in my signature as well, if you have them turned on.

edit: And now that I'm on desktop, here's the link: http://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/comment/28335957/#Comment_28335957

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    For a moment I thought someone had already gotten a gift.

• Options
    ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    Assignments are out? Then it's time for my usual public service post!

So You Got a Canadian Santee, Eh?

Here are some tips!

For sending packages from outside Canada:

It's cool, you can do this! Customs Canada will probably not replace your gift with a bottle of bleach! I mean, it's only happened once. So far.

1. I recommend using regular post instead of a courier to send internationally. Probably cheaper for you, and avoids your Santee being charged a bullshit "customs brokerage" fee that can go up to like $20-$25! FedEx and DHL are particularly fond of these. If you do use a courier, ask if such a fee will be charged.
    2. Sadly, I recommend against sending booze over the border. You could get lucky, but Customs don't play.
    3. Here is the Canadian address format:

Henrietta Hoser
    506-6004 Goose Doot Lane (506 is unit number, 6004 is building number... but they'll also understand 6004 Goose Doot Lane, Apt. 506 if that makes you nervous)
    Mooseville, SK G5D 8T2

For buying stuff from online vendors within Canada:

1. Most big US stores have Canadian equivalents, but not all of these Canadian equivalents will let you pay with a US credit card. Best Buy, for example.
    2. Amazon.ca is a pretty good choice because our free shipping is still down at $35 CAN instead of $50 USD on Amazon.com. I don't think your US Prime benefits work on Amazon.ca, though.
    3. Other pretty cool Canadian choices for geeky stuff: videogamesplus.ca is good for finding niche games (at full retail price). boardgames.ca is a nice reliable source for board games and related goodies, and often has sales (hmm, though they seem to be pulling some weird stuff with shipping right now)
    4. Our dollar is sitting at around 70-75 US cents right now, so everything looks expensive in our stores but actually isn't (for Americans, at least).

Either way:
    1. Put your Santee's full name and not just username on their package. Probably a good rule for everybody, but Canada's postal depot system definitely requires a driver's licence, and our parcels are often held at one for pickup. Somewhere in the ancient annals of Secret Santa is a hilarious story about a PAer attempting to explain forum handles to a hapless recent immigrant postal depot employee.

Now back to stalking!

Swash has done a wonderful job summarizing a lot of useful info, and I just wanted to poke at a couple bits of it~

- Couriers are the devil, as noted. I know for some people it's their primary option because your postal service isn't nearly as convenient as ours, but it's kind of anti-Christmas to have to pay $25 to get your gift (and it's actually kind of worse than that because they drop it off no problem and then mail you an invoice you have to pay over the phone later, but have shitty business hours and how the fuck is this a practice anyone can get away with). Last resort only, please. <3
    - It's different from country to country, but if you send a package with tracking that stops showing tracking info on your local service's website, you can try throwing the same tracking number into Canadapost.ca. For packages moving between the US and Canada, once they cross the border tracking DOES still work, but you need to hop onto the postal service site for that country. So you can usually watch your gifts more closely than just to the border. ^_^
    - While you can't carry over your Amazon status to .ca, you can absolutely still qualify for a prime trial membership on the sister service (this, notably, also works for internationals who got US targets who would like to send through Amazon.com). Do remember to set the thing not to renew after your free month, of course, but there's nothing else to this option. You get free "good shipping" and maybe one or two other perks~

• Options
    minirhyderminirhyder BerlinRegistered User regular
    edited November 2016
    Time to get stalking!

Excited-Lucille-Bluth-Arrested-Development.gif

E: if your Steam profile is private, please consider making it public to facilitate the stalking :D

minirhyder on
  • Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    To my Secret Santa:

I realized that I really didn't give my santa a lot of information to go on for stalking purposes. So here's a few extra hints to help them avoid headache:

For santa's eyes only, don't you all peek!
    You're peeking! :P

While I own many systems, I don't get a lot of time to play them these days. I'll be getting the Switch at launch, because I'm a huge Nintendo dork and it allows to to play outside the house which is huge. Therefore, I really wouldn't recommend anything for the current generation of systems (including Wii U and 3DS).

Currently I play games on Steam and Blizzard titles (Hearthstone/Heroes of the Storm). I'm streaming now which will hopefully encourage more gaming. My Steam wishlist isn't a bad place to look for games I like. Looking over that list will give you a feel for my types of games.

That being said, I'm definitely a tough guy to get games for, not only because of time constraints, but my general disdain for most mainstream games. Here's a list of things I really don't want to play these days:
    • Sandbox games (Skyrim, GTA, MGS5)
    • Long games (40+ hour RPGs)
    • MMO (Ugh, never)
    • RPGs w/random encounters (unless I can turn them off ala Bravely Default)
    • Driving games (ZZZzzzzz.....)
    • Sports games (see driving games)
    • JRPGs or games featuring overtly sexualized women (Nope!)
    • Overly story driven stuff or "deeper meaning" games (story exception The Walking Dead)
    • Extremely violent stuff

Like I said, I'm a tough buy. Really sorry about that.

I will make some exceptions for longer games that I'm passionate about (Fire Emblem, Zelda) but not that often. Classic or shorter games work best for me (~6-10 hours to finish) and games that have driven progression and don't fuck around with side-quest shit. I don't want to wander around looking for stuff, I want to beat the game. As a designer, I love mechanics and as a very old gamer (40?!) I love simple graphics and gameplay. Graphics are nice, but I don't need them to enjoy a game (80s arcade games are still my favorite thing). Fighting games used to be a passion, but even SF5 has less than 5 hours of play these days.

Co-Op stuff has become a bigger draw for me since I can play with the wife. She's a big gamer too and we enjoy playing Heroes of the Storm and SC2 co-op missions. We completed Portal 2 together while dating.

Honestly, this would be easier for you if the Nintendo Switch was already out as I'd probably get some games for that system. Right now we've been playing a TON of board/card games since they encourage local play and are quick. Even though this is a G&T SS, I encourage you to think outside the box. Unless of course you want to drop $1500 on one of those gaming tables ;) (I kid, DON'T DO THIS!)

I don't envy you santa, you've got it rough, but I believe in you!

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    vhannroyvhannroy Registered User regular
    I was stalking my Santees steam profile and ended up getting a game for my self (as well as them(though I am not giving it to them yet)). Darn you Santee....Darn you.

• Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited November 2016
    Hey santee! Just some random extra stuff,in case you're really stuck.

I only own a PS4,my PSN ID is Elchiclets.

I normally buy any game I really, really want, so maybe check if I'm going to get a game?

I'm into wrestling, comics, climbing, running, some anime.

I'm a medium/large, depending on the sizing of the shirt.

Really I'll be happy with anything you send. :)

Oh, relevant Social Media SN:

Twitter:El_Chiclets
    Instagram: Brownchiclets

Kyougu on
  • Options
    ElinElin Registered User regular
    Dear Santa I lurked a lot this year. Sorry.

Switch SW-5832-5050-0149
    PSN Hypacia
    Xbox HypaciaMinnow
    Discord Hypacia#0391
  • Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    Elin wrote: »
    Dear Santa I lurked a lot this year. Sorry.

Ditto. I've had a bit of a cold spell gaming this year and my G&T Post count probably reflects that. We've tried a few times to settle on a house (unsuccessfully) and having a preteen and a part time teen has been crazy time consuming. I've spent far more time trying to teach myself ukulele (I won a cheap-o one at a department Christmas party last year) or trying to get back into drawing/painting than actually playing through games.

I think it's why my hints to my Santa were so vague this year, the best way to describe my year would be "Scattered"

• Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    yeah I haven't games much this last year but I just upgraded my graphics card so I've been getting a bit more time in. I've played a lot of magic this year so a lot of my posts are over in those threads.

• Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    This is fun!
    Is there a site for searching PSN handles? I can't seem to find it

• Options
    RadiationRadiation Registered User regular
    edited November 2016
    This is fun!

https://www.playstation.com/en-us/my/psn-profile-search/
    Or do they not have the psn handle listed?

Could also use this to look at trophies to see games they've played: http://us.playstation.com/community/mytrophies/

Radiation on
    PSN: jfrofl
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    Radiation wrote: »
    This is fun!

https://www.playstation.com/en-us/my/psn-profile-search/
    Or do they not have the psn handle listed?

No, this is what I needed, thanks!

• Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    Woo Santee target acquired! When can we post Christmas music?

Steam: offday
  • Options
    November 25th.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    FremFrem Registered User regular
    Dear Santa,

I was going to make you sweat it out for a while, but some people are being quick on the draw apparently. So here's some info that you could maybe come by via stalking? Just in case:
    Food: Terrible things happen when I eat gluten. Wheat contains gluten. So does a bunch of candy. This gets complicated pretty fast, so feel free to NOPE out of food entirely. Or consider it a bonus challenge.

Books: Here's my GoodReads profile

Video games: Here's a list of video games I own. I've preordered Poke-man Muun, and I'll probably upgrade my video card and monitor next year for Mass Effect: This Time It's Not Mass Effect 4.

Life: My work commute is an hour long each way. I meet up with friends for board and video games once a week, more or less.

• Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    ArcSyn wrote: »
    November 1st.

You got it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NUId5f1-KbE

• Options
    anoffday wrote: »
    November 1st.

You got it!

Well played.

If I'm not mistaken you've posted the same song as the first song you've posted in the last two secret Santa threads. :biggrin:

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    November 1st.

You got it!

Well played.

If I'm not mistaken you've posted the same song as the first song you've posted in the last two secret Santa threads. :biggrin:

You're probably right. I'm too predictable. It was between this and merry christmas from chrion beta prime, but I'll let someone else post that one.

• Options
    November 1st.

You got it!

Well played.

You're probably right. I'm too predictable. It was between this and merry christmas from chrion beta prime, but I'll let someone else post that one.

It's a good selection.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    November 1st.

You got it!

Well played.

Needs more irony.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a2MZyKvNMBg

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    darunia106darunia106 J-bob in games Death MountainRegistered User regular
    Got my Santee so I guess spooky times are over.

Yo skellies! Holiday season is here!

ViciousLoathsomeGermanshorthairedpointer-size_restricted.gif

pHWHd2G.jpg
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    I worked retail many years ago and heard a ton of weird Christmas songs on loop for months (there was one we referred to as "Creeper Santa" cause it's a deep voiced man telling people to sit on his lap but in a lascivious manner)

I just recently got a new retail job. It's actually not opening until the end of the month, so I figure I got at the most one month of Michael Buble's Holiday Hits on loop.

This will not be pleasant.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    November 1st.

You got it!

Well played.

Needs more irony.

God I love this stupid album. Love that bad religion.

• Options
    November 1st.

You got it!

Well played.

Needs more irony.

God I love this stupid album. Love that bad religion.

It's so good. Been listening to it every Christmas since it came out.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    everything is better in punk cover form

• Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    edited November 2016
    Oh, I also have preordered the new Pokémon games but didn't put that in my original note. It's the only game I'll buy myself until after Christmas though.

Lindsay Lohan on
  • Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    edited November 2016
    NO BRINGING THIS THREAD DOWN! Pixel ordered so now I have a phone. BACK TO STALKING AND JOLLIFICATION OF THE FORUM!!!

Big Classy on
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    It's only just turned November.... but... GIFT GET! Pictures coming soon

Anarchy on
  • Options
    Erin The RedErin The Red The Name's Erin! Woman, Podcaster, Dungeon Master, IT nerd, Parent, Trans. AMA Baton Rouge, LARegistered User regular
    If anyone needs a proxy, please let me know!

• Options
    Erin The RedErin The Red The Name's Erin! Woman, Podcaster, Dungeon Master, IT nerd, Parent, Trans. AMA Baton Rouge, LARegistered User regular
    Also can someone let me know if my profiles show up as public?
    Psn is The_Road_Virus
    Steam is TheRoadVirus

• Options
    jclastjclast Registered User regular
    Oh, I also have preordered the new Pokémon games but didn't put that in my original note. It's the only game I'll buy myself until after Christmas though.

I feel as if I have failed as a gamer by not realizing a new Pokémon game was coming out so soon.

Also, I have preordered Horizon: Zero Dawn because it has bitchin' robot dinosaurs. In case that matters. Which it probably doesn't. But I did get to write (twice now!) bitchin' robot dinosaurs so that's a net positive for the thread I think.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    jclast wrote: »

I feel as if I have failed as a gamer by not realizing a new Pokémon game was coming out so soon.

Also, I have preordered Horizon: Zero Dawn because it has bitchin' robot dinosaurs. In case that matters. Which it probably doesn't. But I did get to write (twice now!) bitchin' robot dinosaurs so that's a net positive for the thread I think.

I'm totally getting that game. If my wife and various santas don't do it then it is my duty as a robodino fighting patriot to get it myself!