As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Cha-ching, it's the [Financial Literacy] thread

• Options
    AphostileAphostile San Francisco, CARegistered User regular
    Burnage wrote: »
    Aphostile wrote: »
    I aim for 60-70%, but I don’t want to work ever again in 5 years unless it’s something I’m interested in.

You either have an incredibly good salary or ridiculously low expenses if this is feasible for you. Like, 50% of my take home pay is gone just after rent and immediate bills and I don't think that's hugely unusual.

Yes, my wife and I have incredibly high salaries. It’s a benefit of our industry and location.

Rent comes out to around 10% of my personal take home pay.

Nothing. Matters.
  • Options
    ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular

Looking back at the year, the things that I've been investing in lost between 5% to 15% of their value. They're mostly index funds and bank stocks.

In the long term, I know that this is absolutely fine. I don't plan on cashing them out for another 30 years. It means that my dollar goes further in investing now.

That rational part of my brain is what I'm listening to, not the sobbing voice looking at several thousand dollars evaporating temporarily (hopefully) into the ether.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options
    SimpsoniaSimpsonia Registered User regular
    Shadowhope wrote: »
    Looking back at the year, the things that I've been investing in lost between 5% to 15% of their value. They're mostly index funds and bank stocks.

In the long term, I know that this is absolutely fine. I don't plan on cashing them out for another 30 years. It means that my dollar goes further in investing now.

That rational part of my brain is what I'm listening to, not the sobbing voice looking at several thousand dollars evaporating temporarily (hopefully) into the ether.

The key is to just set it all up as automatic, then just stop paying attention to it.

• Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular

I share this feel

Let us pour one out for the trough that was 2018

• Options
    CauldCauld Registered User regular
    So It Goes wrote: »

I share this feel

I hope it was a trough, but fear it will be worse.

• Options
    ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular
    Simpsonia wrote: »

The key is to just set it all up as automatic, then just stop paying attention to it.

I do a fair amount of that. About 15% of my total before-tax income goes into investments automatically. The "issue" is that I make about 250% of what I did five years, but I spend about the same amount as I did five years ago. Even with keeping my emergency fund topped up appropriately, I keep having money pile up. That means that I need to make decisions about where and how to invest it.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    Simpsonia wrote: »

I do a fair amount of that. About 15% of my total before-tax income goes into investments automatically. The "issue" is that I make about 250% of what I did five years, but I spend about the same amount as I did five years ago. Even with keeping my emergency fund topped up appropriately, I keep having money pile up. That means that I need to make decisions about where and how to invest it.

Canned food and Campbell's stock.

• Options
    daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    Cauld wrote: »
    So It Goes wrote: »

I share this feel

I hope it was a trough, but fear it will be worse.

The joke my old boss had for these situations was, "Dollar cost averaging your way down to zero."

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    I got to experience the ~20% drops in 2009 and 2010, so this isn't so bad. The problem is that most index fund investors saw ~15% increase last year and had about....3 years right around 10% before that (I'm going from memory so I could be way off). I'm also not touching mine for a long time, so I just try to check in with it on occasion.

• Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    at least i got to do some tax loss harvesting to offset some of my company's stock options i sold

that's a thing that can be useful to offset some income for tax purposes

(basically selling an investment for a loss and buying a similar thing so it's as if you didn't touch the money because you're back in the market at the same position, but you get to put those losses on your taxes)

poo
  • Options
    Marty81Marty81 Registered User regular
    Be mindful of wash sale rules if you do that (specifically regarding the "buying a similar investment" portion of that).

• Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    Marty81 wrote: »
    Be mindful of wash sale rules if you do that (specifically regarding the "buying a similar investment" portion of that).

ya that's true there's a 30 day limit if its too similar / "substantially identical"

poo
  • Options
    $1600 to replace the clutch assembly on my car. This is why you have an emergency fund. (man it's going to suck to replenish the fund)

• Options
    PeccaviPeccavi Registered User regular
    If I'm trying to save up for a downpayment on a house within the next couple years, how should I be holding that money? Just in a savings account? Stocks seems really risky on such a relatively short time scale.

• Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    You're right! For short-term capital holding your best bets are something like a high-yield online savings account or a CD ladder of some kind, probably.

• Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    *throws the past two weeks numbers into his spreadsheet*

And this is what we call "why you never try to time the market" because why the FUCK is it going up like this while there's a fucking government shutdown?

• Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    The algorithms don't care.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    Jragghen wrote: »

And this is what we call "why you never try to time the market" because why the FUCK is it going up like this while there's a fucking government shutdown?

Contracts are still getting paid out, and the computers think it will end at some point.

• Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular

Yes, why would the numbers go up when people are going to be racking up debt, late fees, repossessions, and desperate for precarious gig work

• Options
    TL DR wrote: »

Yes, why would the numbers go up when people are going to be racking up debt, late fees, repossessions, and desperate for precarious gig work

And cutting down on non-essential spending. Plenty of recessions happen when millions of people collectively decide to spend less.

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    a5ehren wrote: »

Contracts are still getting paid out, and the computers think it will end at some point.

The computers don't even understand the concept of a shutdown seems more likely, imo.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    a5ehren wrote: »

The government shutdown means that some economic reports aren't being released, so the market is running on less perfect information than normal right now.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • Options
    VishNubVishNub Registered User regular
    So, my lady friend had a 401k at her previous job, which she has since left and rolled into an IRA.

Our understanding is that both 401ks and IRAs are pre-tax income (ie. You pay income tax when you withdraw the funds), but she has been contributing monthly post tax income since starting a new job as well.

Is she crossing the streams here and causing a problem, or are we confused about something?

(She also has a Roth with a different company/broker, which is funded only with post tax income).

• Options
    thatassemblyguythatassemblyguy Janitor of Technical Debt .Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    VishNub wrote: »
    So, my lady friend had a 401k at her previous job, which she has since left and rolled into an IRA.

Our understanding is that both 401ks and IRAs are pre-tax income (ie. You pay income tax when you withdraw the funds), but she has been contributing monthly post tax income since starting a new job as well.

Is she crossing the streams here and causing a problem, or are we confused about something?

(She also has a Roth with a different company/broker, which is funded only with post tax income).

There are 401k plans that allow you to make after tax contributions up to the yearly maximum for qualified retirement plan contributions. There are two limits to consider:

1) The 401k individual limit is $19,000 for 2019.
    2) Yearly Maximum into a qualified retirement plan: $56,000

e: (sorry half finished this part) If the 401k is one of those plans that allows post-tax income, you're limited to the amount defined by: 56k - (401k + Employer Match), so no stream crossing is occuring.

If the money is going into the Traditional IRA and not the 401k, check with a tax professional because there are some trickier rules surrounding income limits and qualifying for an employer retirement plan which may mean you cannot deduct the contributions to the Traditional IRA (but you can still possibly contribute).

ee:
    If you're saying that she's rolling over from a 401k account that is a mixture of pre-tax and post-tax money, then she can roll only the post-tax contributions into a Roth IRA, and the remaining pre-tax contributions and all gains into the Traditional IRA. Double check, however, as the last I checked on this was the IRS clarification note back in 2014.

thatassemblyguy on
  • Options
    VishNubVishNub Registered User regular
    The 401k was I think, though I could be mistaken, only pretax money. She left that job, and rolled it into a traditional IRA (still a pre-tax account at this point). Now, she is contributing post-tax funds to the same traditional IRA account. We’re just wondering how or when do we need to account for which money has already been taxed and which has not?

Completely separately, she is also contributing post tax funds to a Roth. I’m not worried about that account, as everything in it is from the same place.

• Options
    edited January 2019
    The 401k was I think, though I could be mistaken, only pretax money. She left that job, and rolled it into a traditional IRA (still a pre-tax account at this point). Now, she is contributing post-tax funds to the same traditional IRA account. We’re just wondering how or when do we need to account for which money has already been taxed and which has not?

Completely separately, she is also contributing post tax funds to a Roth. I’m not worried about that account, as everything in it is from the same place.

The money she puts into the IRA will basically get deducted from her adjusted gross income when she files her tax bill.

moniker on
  • Options
    CauldCauld Registered User regular
    moniker wrote: »

The money she puts into the IRA will basically get deducted from her adjusted gross income when she files her tax bill.

this is correct. Be careful, IRA contribution limits are much lower than 401k limits. Only $5,500/year for most people.

• Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    Is there any reason not to max HSA contributions before increasing IRA contributions, after hitting the employer match?

• Options
    Marty81Marty81 Registered User regular
    Cauld wrote: »
    moniker wrote: »

this is correct. Be careful, IRA contribution limits are much lower than 401k limits. Only $5,500/year for most people.

Also be careful because this is the combined limit. You can't do 5500 in a Roth and 5500 in a traditional IRA. It's 5500 total, split up however you want.

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Max dat HSA Tilder.

• Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    How does taking money out / moving money from an HSA work?

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Doodmann wrote: »

It acts like a regular retirement account basically but you can use a card to pay for your approved medical bills via the funds in it and the get used tax free.

• Options

It acts like a regular retirement account basically but you can use a card to pay for your approved medical bills via the funds in it and the get used tax free.

I don't have a card - you can just withdraw to your savings account and be sure to document your receipts in case of audit, yeah?

• Options
    TL DR wrote: »

I don't have a card - you can just withdraw to your savings account and be sure to document your receipts in case of audit, yeah?

The HSA I used to have had a specific process for getting reimbursed

You basically just turned in a form on their website and then they deposited the money

• Options
    Oh weird.

Mine has like a credit card type card thingy.

• Options
    Still, keep your medical receipts until the heat death of the universe.

• Options
    Oh weird.

Mine has like a credit card type card thingy.

Yeah our new one does. Ez pz.

• Options
    Double post:

Still waiting for my annual statement, but my 4th quarter report for my TSP was rolling 12-month of -6.88%. :rotate:

I blame Johnson & Johnson

• Options
    When I had the HDHP with a HSA it came with a debit card, but I'm pretty sure that was just for the convenience of being able to track things for tax purposes and was technically no different than having to show receipts.

Sort of like how I used to have a corporate card to order books and then uploading the invoice at the old place, but now it's a form for accounting.

• Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    Mugsley wrote: »
    Double post:

Still waiting for my annual statement, but my 4th quarter report for my TSP was rolling 12-month of -6.88%. :rotate:

I blame Johnson & Johnson

Who knew knowingly putting asbestos in baby powder would cause issues?

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai