As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Cha-ching, it's the [Financial Literacy] thread

• Options
    thatassemblyguythatassemblyguy Janitor of Technical Debt .Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    There's lots of shitty open source software that fills the YNAB niche, like gnucash but I get it.

Used both gnucash and kmymoney for a while as I went through my window manager phases. But like a number of things open source they.. just required too much fiddling. 🤣

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    I should make a YNAB4 alternative and sell it on steam.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Hah. Thats where i got YNAB originally.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    For what it's worth YNAB isn't selling data.

Or I guess if they are, they're lying about it.

(And their security practices seem sound, they're not trying to roll their own systems from scratch or anything dumb like that)

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    Honestly most SaaS companies don't want any part in your data - it's a liability nightmare.
    They want high level stats and a continuous stream of money to keep their dev team employed. That's more reliable than one time purchases and potentially packaging expansions while figuring out compatibility testing etc.
    This way they have one version and it's entirely web hosted.

• Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    So I totally didn't get around to refinancing because of all the craziness that broke out in the past week and now it seems like rates went back up again? 3.625 which is exactly the same as my current mortgage. C'est la vie.

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    I checked my TSP balance this morning for shits and giggles.

I'm still not changing anything but, man....

• Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    Doodmann wrote: »
    So like...someone last week definitely put a month long put on Telsa when it hit all time highs and holy shit they must be making lots of money.

From February 26th

*sigh*

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    So like...someone last week definitely put a month long put on Telsa when it hit all time highs and holy shit they must be making lots of money.

From February 26th

*sigh*

2 weeks ago my coworker was saying she was buying SQQQ (triple short ETF)

If I was smart I shoulda sold some stock and bought that and doubled my money

But I was not

Riding the wave

Oh it will be painful

poo
  • Options
    thatassemblyguythatassemblyguy Janitor of Technical Debt .Registered User regular

From February 26th

*sigh*

2 weeks ago my coworker was saying she was buying SQQQ (triple short ETF)

If I was smart I shoulda sold some stock and bought that and doubled my money

But I was not

Riding the wave

Oh it will be painful

I was looking at that at one point, too, but I remember they do some weird thing where they level adjust each day, so it's not like you see a %50 drop in the market over three weeks that you'd get a 200% rise in the stock price.

• Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    Holy shit should not have looked at my 403b.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    My 403b was already showing a pathetic rate of return from last year. Don't know why, I took all their advice for investment. Meanwhile my wife's retirement account was invested 100% in "Social Choice" which the dude from TIAA said wouldn't get decent returns at all (probably due to mansplaining) She ended up with nearly 9% growth last year. Of course it's all probably gone now.

DisruptedCapitalist on
    "Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    RedTideRedTide Registered User regular
    MegaMan001 wrote: »
    Holy shit should not have looked at my 403b.

I was at like 180k around New Year's.

I'm not looking for another five years.

RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
  • Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    I tried to check my retirement balance just for laughs, and Mass Mutual is currently unavailable.

This is fine,

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    My 403b was already showing a pathetic rate of return from last year. Don't know why, I took all their advice for investment. Meanwhile my wife's retirement account was invested 100% in "Social Choice" which the dude from TIAA said wouldn't get decent returns at all (probably due to mansplaining) She ended up with nearly 9% growth last year. Of course it's all probably gone now.

I had 25% growth last year.

Wheeeee!

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    So, I was considering starting a 401K but am I correct in assuming that I should wait on that until the market stops hurtling into the abyss?

• Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    Madican wrote: »
    So, I was considering starting a 401K but am I correct in assuming that I should wait on that until the market stops hurtling into the abyss?

Don't try to time the market.

(yes)

• Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular

If you make purchases every paycheck that means you're buying more shares per dollar every other week while the market is going down. So now is the best time to start buying into stocks.

If you're going to lump sum it, try and break your overall amount into quarters or eighths and buy up that amount every Wednesday for a month or two in order to dollar cost average things. You may miss some drops, but you also will miss some spikes and it should balance out well enough. Since you can't tell the bottom until it's already passed.

• Options
    TuminTumin Registered User regular
    Buy now; better than buying in the last 4 years.

Whatever you have to tell yourself to get into the market at a reasonable allocation, really.

• Options
    Marty81Marty81 Registered User regular

The only problem is how do you tell when it's done hurtling into the abyss?

You should start your 401k, and you should make regular contributions/purchases.

• Options
    It's a cliche (more about rising markets) but it's true:
    The best time to get in the market was yesterday. The second best time to get in the market is today.

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    I did drop some money I didn't need in to my mutual fund Friday. That's probably the closest I've ever come to gambling.

• Options
    ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular

I had been planning on travelling for three weeks in April.

Boo to not being able to go on my trip.

But, eh, yay to having a fair amount of cash that was allocated for spending money on the trip that is now going to go into my TFSA?

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options
    We paid off a credit card with money that was used to set up a family trip to Nashville in April. Airlines gave us fucking credit instead of refund though (then the have the audacity to ask for a bailout).

@Quid you're in TSP, right? What are your allocations, if you don't mind?

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited March 2020
    Mugsley wrote: »
    We paid off a credit card with money that was used to set up a family trip to Nashville in April. Airlines gave us fucking credit instead of refund though (then the have the audacity to ask for a bailout).

Quid you're in TSP, right? What are your allocations, if you don't mind?

I've got it all in commercial. Which sucks at the moment but I've got at least three more decades before I even consider touching it.

The Lifecycle funds aren't bad per se but IMO as a non finance professional they tend to run conservatively for such a long period of time.

Quid on
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    I agree. I'm split between C, S, and I. I have some in G from a while ago but I'm not actively contributing more.

I'm genuinely worried that people are moving money into G right now and basically cementing their losses.

====
    It's interesting because this is the first financial 'crisis' in over a decade, so people's tolerance for major market drops / volatility are finally being tested.

Mugsley on
  • Options

@Madican - as everyone else here is saying, starting a 401K is a great idea even today because of dollar-cost averaging, however there is one important thing to remember (not to put you off to any 401K stuff, but it's important to remember this in times of recession/depression):

Don't invest money you'll need in the short-term 0 months - 3 years; for 401K don't invest money you'll need before you're 67.5 years old.

By need, I mean money that you'll need to use to cover minimal living expenses, food, shelter, health-care premiums, etc.

So timing market, not timing market, just remember to make sure you're not locking money away into an investment vehicle where accessing those dollars can hurt you long term, or accessing those dollars causes you to take a loss when you didn't want to take a loss.
    Quid wrote: »
    I did drop some money I didn't need in to my mutual fund Friday. That's probably the closest I've ever come to gambling.

This Quid over here trying to catch a knife. :) (I put more money into the market too, my hands are bloooddy)

• Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular

...if you were flat in 2019 ahead of all this, you have the dumbest advisor on the planet. TIAA has some total market indexes, just use those.

• Options
    @a5ehren I agree with you but I'm trying to keep from making assumptions. If DC has a very conservative risk tolerance, it would make sense he was relatively flat (that being said, nearly everyone made money last year, so shrug.jpg).

Again, with that being said, the investment choices should change to take more advantage of the market.

• Options
    Yeah, I don't really know what happened. I haven't worked at that job since 2016 and I think last I checked I was invested in the total market indexes. I've been meaning for a while to go over it and figure out what went wrong but now I'm just afraid to even see the damage.

• Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    Ah, weird.

• Options
    Yeah, I don't really know what happened. I haven't worked at that job since 2016 and I think last I checked I was invested in the total market indexes. I've been meaning for a while to go over it and figure out what went wrong but now I'm just afraid to even see the damage.

Ooh. If it's a previous job, I'm curious if there's some weird policy that they sit all your money in stable value or "cash" after you leave, unless you direct them to do otherwise. That would explain the lack of returns, but not why in God's name they have that policy.

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Jragghen wrote: »

Don't try to time the market.

(yes)

I don't know enough about the market to even try timing it.

@Madican - as everyone else here is saying, starting a 401K is a great idea even today because of dollar-cost averaging, however there is one important thing to remember (not to put you off to any 401K stuff, but it's important to remember this in times of recession/depression):

Don't invest money you'll need in the short-term 0 months - 3 years; for 401K don't invest money you'll need before you're 67.5 years old.

By need, I mean money that you'll need to use to cover minimal living expenses, food, shelter, health-care premiums, etc.

So timing market, not timing market, just remember to make sure you're not locking money away into an investment vehicle where accessing those dollars can hurt you long term, or accessing those dollars causes you to take a loss when you didn't want to take a loss.
    Quid wrote: »

This Quid over here trying to catch a knife. :) (I put more money into the market too, my hands are bloooddy)

Yeah, that's something I'm weighing since while my job is steady even during this time, I want to get further north eventually and that costs money in itself.

• Options
    I haven't checked the details but it looks like part of the stimulus bill includes being able to pull from a 401k without penalty.

It's still not advisable but worth considering if you're experiencing severe hardship.

I'll try to reply back when I get more info.

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    it would be a terrible time to do it with the market in the tank and you can take out loans against your 401k without penalty as long as you pay it back right?

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    TuminTumin Registered User regular
    Chanus wrote: »
    it would be a terrible time to do it with the market in the tank and you can take out loans against your 401k without penalty as long as you pay it back right?

If you lose your job, it is all suddenly due at next tax payment date (so max 1 year), and there are penalties if you fail to pay it back at that point.

• Options
    The info I can find is that you can make a hardship withdrawal up to $100k without the 10% penalty, and you can spread the tax hit across 3 tax years.

Apparently they will let people who withdrew funds this way but didn't need the money to re-deposit the money without penalty; but the details on that are hazy.

There are some changes to 401k loans as well but I can't find a lot of details. I think the borrowing limit is higher/removed but there's still an interest rate to pay.

• Options
    Alright. I've been trying to write this post for a while and the verbiage keeps going in circles in my head. So let's start here. Here's a graph of running percentage of TSP balance with 3/2/2020 as the 100% reference point: https://imgur.com/a/UBhTH7p
    (Excel is being a bitch and won't post dates on the X axis, so that's day number (i.e. 3/2/2020 is Day 1)).

This is VERY high level. All I did was take daily balance numbers, so there were contributions added along the way.

First off: note that the worst balance decline was a total ~25% decline round about 3/23/2020. The past ~10 days, I've been floating around the 90% level, and I had another scheduled contribution today.

Big takeaway: if you changed NOTHING through all this, your investments should nearly be recovered at this point. The caveat of course is it depends on your allocations. I actually have a fairly aggressive distribution (I'm 42 and have 11% fixed income, 14% Small Cap, 22% International, 52% "Common Stock" (basically US Stocks)). My regular contributions are 50% US Stocks, 20% Small Cap, 30% International (the fixed income portion is what I already had in the account and haven't added to it for a few years now).

I have more to say but I want to go eat first.

• Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    Well, I just cashed in my life insurance policy, which is a shit tonne less than if I had faked my death and collected it myself, 'please pay full benefits to my dear... Uh son, Pabriel Gitt.' But will also mean if things go pear-shaped I will have a safety net until I can get back on my feet.

If nothing else, it means I can keep my IRA fully funded for the next few years.

• Options
    SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular
    Mugsley wrote: »
    Alright. I've been trying to write this post for a while and the verbiage keeps going in circles in my head. So let's start here. Here's a graph of running percentage of TSP balance with 3/2/2020 as the 100% reference point: https://imgur.com/a/UBhTH7p
    (Excel is being a bitch and won't post dates on the X axis, so that's day number (i.e. 3/2/2020 is Day 1)).

This is VERY high level. All I did was take daily balance numbers, so there were contributions added along the way.

First off: note that the worst balance decline was a total ~25% decline round about 3/23/2020. The past ~10 days, I've been floating around the 90% level, and I had another scheduled contribution today.

Big takeaway: if you changed NOTHING through all this, your investments should nearly be recovered at this point. The caveat of course is it depends on your allocations. I actually have a fairly aggressive distribution (I'm 42 and have 11% fixed income, 14% Small Cap, 22% International, 52% "Common Stock" (basically US Stocks)). My regular contributions are 50% US Stocks, 20% Small Cap, 30% International (the fixed income portion is what I already had in the account and haven't added to it for a few years now).

I have more to say but I want to go eat first.

TSP I'm thinking of (maybe you are thinking if something else?) has about a dozen different funds you can choose to put money in. If that's your personal balance it only reflects whichever funds you have picked.

https://www.tsp.gov/InvestmentFunds/FundsOverview/index.html

https://www.tsp.gov/InvestmentFunds/FundPerformance/index.html

steam_sig.png