As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Kerbal Space Program] Will You Go to Space Today?

• Options
    The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    Honestly, i'd be interested to figure out if you could do clipping shenanigans and put it on the bottom. It's possible also that with the current changes it'd be better to actually use multiple small engines and have a central docking point or some such - You can cut a chunk of weight by dropping the various parachutes, and possibly even the landing legs (though they'd still be useful if you're landing on Mun/Minimus/other low/no atmo stuff.

THough a side attachement point does have some benefits.

I will point out the attachment point to the command pod there is actually on the jettionsable first stage. If you were taking it into orbit, you'd want to pack em like sardines inside a cargo or fairing. You might be able to get away with clipping something that can be jettionsed off some how though.

Honestly, I hope KSP2 let's me lean into this style of miniaturization. It's easy (within reason) to build large rockets - but creating effective small tech, especially for things like planetary exploration? That's quite the trick

Though I also really hope that we get the ability to build in orbit, and create some truly grand spaceships

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • Options
    FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular
    Though I also really hope that we get the ability to build in orbit, and create some truly grand spaceships

The wobbliest of explorers, using the lowest of TWRs.

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular

The wobbliest of explorers, using the lowest of TWRs.

Some of my assembled-in-orbit interplanetaries were very wobbly indeed.

• Options
    StrikorStrikor Calibrations? Calibrations! Registered User regular
    Wobbles just prove what a good engineer you are for being able to keep them together at all! Usually.

• Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    Assuming it's rigid and just bobbles back and forth, going through any parts with torque and turning the reaction wheel authority down can help stabilize them. I had to fiddle with that on this monstrosity for a while to keep it from shaking more than the SAS could counter:

6v173bk0blty.png

• Options
    edited February 2023
    The thing I had to learn was not putting all of the thrust at the very end of the train, so you're not pushing a noodle. Outriggers or nacelles, with more stuff tucked in behind (but not in the exhaust cones), are good.

Then again, I was playing mostly with 3m parts, not those 5m+ monsters. That might bring your total length and part count down enough to not have to bother.

Commander Zoom on
  • Options
    edited February 2023
    I didn't have any limp noodle problems with that one (then again I've got kerbal joint reinforcement turned up to max). Before I fiddled with the RWA on everything, the issue was that it wobbled up and down (relative the picture, between the angle of the two aeroshells), and then side to side (in the direction of the landers pointing towards and away form the camera) at different rates, making the navball meander all over the damn place while under power. To make things worse it slowly twisted clockwise for reasons I never did figure out.

Hevach on
  • Options
    Also. Locking gimbals will reduce boost-caused wobbling (otherwise it will keep trying to correct the wobble using thrust vectoring, which will just increase the wobble).

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
  • Options
    The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4MYQjq1y41A

Early access gameplay trailer. Nothing that super sticks out here, but hey, gameplay if you want it?

• Options
    ElbasunuElbasunu Registered User regular
    Does anyone know if KSP2 will be "kerbal" scaled again or earth scaled?

g1xfUKU.png?10zfegkyoor3b.png
    Steam ID: Obos Vent: Obos
  • Options
    I see no reason for it being earthscaled. Scale is easily modded (some of the first mods played with planetary scales) and earthscale makes it less fun for beginners.

• Options
    NoneoftheaboveNoneoftheabove Just a conforming non-conformist. Twilight ZoneRegistered User regular
    So I have a decision to make.. Follow the tutorials in KSP or take what I know so far and make my own Mun Mission. And I choose to try my own design. I can already throw junk on the moon. My probe was supposed to be an accessible science platform for the next mission, but comms and control fail. And I forgot the importance of landing lights too. So I just have an orbiting Mun probe with lander legs. I tried linking comms with my Kerbin satellite, but no dice. I may try waiting a few days for the mun and kerbin to be in a better spot for my probe to land.
    Decisions, decisions!

• Options
    Landing lights? On the Mun? I've only used those if I wanted to land in a very specific spot far from the Muns equator (like the Polar crater or the highland craters). Otherwise you can always wait a few rotations and land in sunlight.

Communications is a very different issue. Ideally you need 2-3 of satellites in high-Mun Orbit (a moderately inclined orbit can help avoid ending up in Munshadow), and they need to use the Relay antennas (Communotron antennas will not work).

• Options
    edited February 2023
    Is it weird that the welding sparks whenever they add a new component in that trailer makes me... happy?

Fiendishrabbit on
  • Options
    NoneoftheaboveNoneoftheabove Just a conforming non-conformist. Twilight ZoneRegistered User regular
    This is my Mun Lander with Rover tucked in. Everything tested and deploys correctly despite every possible configuration tried. It was not easy. I needed extra engine thrusters just to carry with this design and it works as deployable with ditching of the added fuel and thrusters for takeoff. Works well enough on Kerbin. Fuel consumption is tricky.

2s6269b073xd.jpg
    dplxnyy9nwlg.jpg

Here is everything tucked in for my launch design. Rocket works but needs a lot of tweaks. Not even cost or weight efficient.
    I cannot figure out how to get the lander flipped around for the command module to dock easily. So everything is in the right order layout, but docking in orbit will be dangerous and difficult.

• Options
    Holy shit. They dropped the Recommended/Minimum requirements for Early Access and now your first attempt to asparagus-stage isn't the only thing that's on fire, all the KSP forums are too.
    5sIMvjw.png

• Options
    ...the hell is with those GPU requirements?

• Options
    MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular
    edited February 2023
    Strikor wrote: »

It's a 4 and a half year old lower end GPU for a game that is in early access and could potentially see more optimization in the future.

Like, I get that the GPU market has been fucked for a while but at some point developers will be moving on from the 900 series baseline.

Edit: Also I believe both of those are the minimum card levels for each manufacturer to enable direct storage streaming assets to the GPU. So if that is a baseline engine implementation of asset loading, right there you have the reason.

Mvrck on
  • Options
    edited February 2023
    Mvrck wrote: »
    Like, I get that the GPU market has been fucked for a while

an understatement on par with "the Sun is hot"

Commander Zoom on
  • Options

It's a 4 and a half year old lower end GPU for a game that is in early access and could potentially see more optimization in the future.

Like, I get that the GPU market has been fucked for a while but at some point developers will be moving on from the 900 series baseline.

Edit: Also I believe both of those are the minimum card levels for each manufacturer to enable direct storage streaming assets to the GPU. So if that is a baseline engine implementation of asset loading, right there you have the reason.

Was the 2000 series ever lower end? Because I think the 1600-series was their budget line for that entire era.

Meanwhile 3080 as the recommended is just...wtf? I could buy an entire new computer with a 3060 card and it would be cheaper than just the 3080 card.

• Options
    edited February 2023

Was the 2000 series ever lower end? Because I think the 1600-series was their budget line for that entire era.

Meanwhile 3080 as the recommended is just...wtf? I could buy an entire new computer with a 3060 card and it would be cheaper than just the 3080 card.

I imagine 3080s will probably be somewhat cheaper when the game finally comes out of beta Early Access, two (maybe three) years from now...

*looks back at aforementioned GPU market*
    Then again, maybe not.

Commander Zoom on
  • Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular

I imagine 3080s will probably be somewhat cheaper when the game finally comes out of beta Early Access, two (maybe three) years from now...

*looks at 3080 pricing over the last 4 years*

I guess technically cheaper if you account for inflation.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular

So I went and double checked, RTX 2000 cards support Direct Storage, but the 1600 series does not. So if I had to put money, that's why it's the base requirement.

• Options
    Seeing other pro KSP builds makes me feel like I've strapped some of my old fireworks to a rusty trashcan. It's hilarious.

• Options
    Seeing other pro KSP builds makes me feel like I've strapped some of my old fireworks to a rusty trashcan. It's hilarious.

So Kerbal

• Options
    TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    Yeah, those are some rough requirements. Fortunately my 1080ti should still be good enough, since I'm waiting for NVIDIA to come to its sense with 4000 series pricing (I know, good luck me). I upgraded the rest of my computer a while back in no small part because of KSP2. And that's assuming I decide to buy in the Early Access, of which I am far from convinced at the moment.

• Options
    The rickety trashcan builds are the most fun ones.

• Options
    PD Dakota wrote:
    For additional context:
    Minimum is 1080p at Low Settings
    Recommended is 1440p at High Settings

These systems requirements are to ensure a high-quality experience while playing KSP2 in a variety of in-game scenarios.

KSP 2 will work across a wide variety of hardware beyond what is listed in our recommended specs, with performance scaling based on the size and complexity of the crafts you build.

Throughout the Early Access period, our development team will continue to prioritize performance optimization to ensure an optimal gameplay experience for as many @Kerbonauts as possible.

We hear you and we take your feedback very seriously. You are a core part of the development process, so please continue to share your expectations for what you want your KSP2 experience to be.

• Options
    SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    I'm wondering if some of that GPU requirement might be from utilizing like PhysX to offload the rigid body physics from the CPU. Otherwise I'm not seeing how KSP2 is graphically demanding enough to need a 3080. Unless all those seemingly low detail textures are really all full 4k res.

I'm more weirded out by the disk space needing to be 30% larger for some reason.

Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • Options
    Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    I'm wondering if some of that GPU requirement might be from utilizing like PhysX to offload the rigid body physics from the CPU. Otherwise I'm not seeing how KSP2 is graphically demanding enough to need a 3080. Unless all those seemingly low detail textures are really all full 4k res.

I'm more weirded out by the disk space needing to be 30% larger for some reason.

There is some speculation that the disk space bloat indicates uncompressed unoptimized textures, which is what is driving the video card demand bloat.

steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • Options
    Compressing and optimizing your assets is so 2010.

• Options
    edited February 2023
    KSP1 is *gloriously* unoptimized so this is really on brand.

The weird ass shit it does to allow a seamless flight from one planet to another (basically everything outside of physics range is faked, planets are much smaller and closer than they appear and occasional glitches making your window lights illuminate a whole hemisphere will give it away) apparently made every attempt to fix that fact a nightmare, so we're stuck with the solution of "load everything into memory and pray" as the best effort.

Hevach on
  • Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    I'm just going to assume my old, rickety, grandpa of a card 1080 is going to be fine because I can't afford to upgrade!

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Those system specs are designed to give the most realistic, classic aerospace experience of all: trying to get the most out of inadequate hardware while running a space program.

• Options
    SurikoSuriko AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2023
    On the specs:

Regarding KSP2, I'm looking at the game less as an actual sequel and more a KSP remake. An attempt at the game being made today, as a main focus by the dev team, with a much stronger foundation for building out future content (instead of a small dev team's side-project that blew up beyond anyone's expectations). There are a lot of good early signs so far in how modular a lot of systems are. A good example is a telling detail in the new early access trailer:
    bqd58i2pcnak.png
    The heirarchical structure to the VAB's placement shows how the VAB isn't special, but just an assembly plant that happens to be on Kerbin - it's being designed ground up to be buildable anywhere in Kerbol or interstellar systems. This kind of thing should make future development, and modding, a lot less janky.

I'm expecting a bit of a rocky reception out the gate, as they haven't done an amazing job of setting expectations (and tbh it does look like going EA in itself was from being stuck in dev hell), but I think it'll shape up to be a fantastic game as it goes along. Long as the foundation's there, I'm happy to explode kerbals all the way up to 1.0 and beyond.

Suriko on
  • Options
    The goofball has landed!
    olu7ri0lregt.jpg
    That's one small step for a derp, one giant stumble for derpkind!

*slaps forehead* Will be reloading a save....

• Options
    Suriko wrote: »
    On the specs:

Regarding KSP2, I'm looking at the game less as an actual sequel and more a KSP remake. An attempt at the game being made today, as a main focus by the dev team, with a much stronger foundation for building out future content (instead of a small dev team's side-project that blew up beyond anyone's expectations). There are a lot of good early signs so far in how modular a lot of systems are. A good example is a telling detail in the new early access trailer:
    bqd58i2pcnak.png
    The heirarchical structure to the VAB's placement shows how the VAB isn't special, but just an assembly plant that happens to be on Kerbin - it's being designed ground up to be buildable anywhere in Kerbol or interstellar systems. This kind of thing should make future development, and modding, a lot less janky.

I'm expecting a bit of a rocky reception out the gate, as they haven't done an amazing job of setting expectations (and tbh it does look like going EA in itself was from being stuck in dev hell), but I think it'll shape up to be a fantastic game as it goes along. Long as the foundation's there, I'm happy to explode kerbals all the way up to 1.0 and beyond.

I'm certainly giving it a side eye and very much waiting and seeing.

Like don't get me wrong - I want this to succeed, and quite badly so. But also it looks like it's a hot mess right now, and nothing I'm seeing is doing a good job of building faith in it (especially with such a long development tail launching a very feature light early access at a pretty crazy price).

• Options
    DacDac Registered User regular
    It pretty much entirely rests on if KSP2 can garner the same kind of fan community that KSP1 did to provide mods for things the base game lacks.

A prospect which is... difficult if they charge too much for it.

Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
  • Options
    SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    Dac wrote: »
    It pretty much entirely rests on if KSP2 can garner the same kind of fan community that KSP1 did to provide mods for things the base game lacks.

Problem for me is most of those "things KSP lacked" were features supposed to be in KSP2 that we are explicitly not getting for this release.

Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • Options
    SurikoSuriko AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Dac wrote: »

Problem for me is most of those "things KSP lacked" were features supposed to be in KSP2 that we are explicitly not getting for this release.

The big thing for me (and from what I've seen, a lot of long-term players) is whether KSP2 can slay the Kraken. KSP1 can be modded all day long, but no matter what you do, the physics randomly fucking up a perfectly good journey/craft is a largely unsolveable problem. If KSP2 can at least significantly reduce the chances of the game deciding to throw a random tantrum that torches all your work, it'll be worth it.

I fully understand heavy scepticism, it's entirely deserved, and their communication around the game has honestly sucked. Details of systems, graphics levels, what parts are available, etc, have all been left up to players to glean from trailers and screenshots (which themselves are repeatedly clarified as very unrepresentative as devs have been taking random shots from the Unity preview window, giving bad impressions of the game's state). Even something as simple as the system specs were a confused mess days out from the EA release, which is exactly when you don't want your fanbase on fire.

I'm hoping that they manage to right the ship once EA is out and they have 1. income and 2. an example of what KSP2 really looks and works like. If it can fix the longterm issues in KSP1, even if the content isn't quite there yet, I have faith we'll see the modding community and playerbase come over. I'm throwing the dice on this one and buying as soon as it releases, so we'll see.