Options

[Science] A thread of good guesses, bad guesses and telling the difference.

• Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    Also flying cars are the size of helocopters. They're huge and wide and will always be so until we master anti-gravity because they need lift and that means rotors or wings. They take off and land at heliports and require conversion time to be driven on roads if that can even happen.

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    I don't see flying cars happening unless they are fully autonomous. People have a hard enough time dealing with old fashioned 2 dimensional driving. A fender bender on the ground isn't a big deal. At 1000 feet it's fatal.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    Emissary42Emissary42 Registered User regular
    edited June 2017
    I don't see flying cars happening unless they are fully autonomous. People have a hard enough time dealing with old fashioned 2 dimensional driving. A fender bender on the ground isn't a big deal. At 1000 feet it's fatal.

Yeah, most of the designs being shown off don't even have controls. You get in, you tell it where you want to go, it files a flight plan, and it goes.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SGvr0jiUmAE
    They're basically private helicopters with a lot of the fuss and expense (and noise) removed.

Emissary42 on
  • Options
    Desktop HippieDesktop Hippie Registered User regular
    edited June 2017
    France have launched a new website MakeOurPlanetGreatAgain.Fr and are using it to offer grants of up to €1.5million to encourage American climate change scientists to move there.

Desktop Hippie on
  • Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    https://phys.org/news/2017-06-wow-mystery-space.html

So, some recent developments on the WOW signal: we now know two comets, undiscovered in 1977, which were at the point in the sky where the signal was detected. They made another pass this last winter, and radio observations of them (something not really useful with comets normally) closely match the WOW signal.

• Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    So, uh… if the radio waves are in the hydrogen band due to hydrogen in the cometary halo, what all is exciting that hydrogen to emit radio waves?

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    Presumably the sun. Just because it's not done often doesn't mean we don't know much about it.
    http://www.mpifr-bonn.mpg.de/604943/observations

• Options
    DiplominatorDiplominator Hardcore Porg Registered User regular
    But, in general, the point is that the signal was so strong because the source was inside the solar system, and we thought that it wasnt?

• Options
    That would definitely help the strength, but I think it also was rooted in our assumptions about what an alien civilization would use to intentionally communicate with an outsider. Really, if you're trying to get attention you're going to want to use as many good long-range transmission methods as possible, right down to detonating nukes in clearly artificial patterns in your solar system around the source of your transmission just to cover all the bases.

In reality, SETI is more likely to pick up some kind of unintentional transmission first. If you were an alien civilization looking at Earth, the most likely thing for you to find would be our military and air traffic radar beams because they are tightly focused and very high powered.

• Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    At this point my thinking on SETI finding alien life is that it'll be the result of a close analysis of a world which looks suspiciously like it has industrial pollutants in its atmosphere. Exoplanet hunting should really improve our odds.

• Options
    TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    Beep boop

The NARS team has finished up it's paper for AGI-17. It's titled 'Self-Awareness and Self-Control in NARS"

https://cis.temple.edu/~pwang/Publication/self.pdf

• Options
    discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    Trace wrote: »
    Beep boop

The NARS team has finished up it's paper for AGI-17. It's titled 'Self-Awareness and Self-Control in NARS"

https://cis.temple.edu/~pwang/Publication/self.pdf

"Though the study of self-awareness and self-control in NARS is still at an early
    stage, the conceptual design described above has been implemented, and is under testing
    and tuning"
    Someone out there appears to have a robo-baby.
    However I think the most likely outcome of the research is a better understanding of mental illness in the first instance.
    I doubt the model will be implemented 'right' and in discovering what went wrong, we'll start to understand what can go wrong in developing minds in general.

• Options
    TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    The model is already implemented (not fully, obviously, this is still a work in progress) but it's something you can actively experiment with if you wanted too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lvAMNqFMzhI

thats a video of the 1.7.0 version of the NARS system in action, along with some explanation of what's going on

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B8Z4Yige07tBUk5LSUtxSGY0eVk

1.6.5 is the version that is currently being actively developed although you can also grab the other various versions of the program from there as well.

• Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    Polaritie wrote: »
    Zibblsnrt wrote: »
    Phyphor wrote: »
    Polaritie wrote: »
    Flying cars run into the issue of needing more energy simply because they need to generate lift.

And I have no idea how they'd be regulated. Drones have been bad enough on that front (the FAA got a little nuts there)

That's easy enough - they are aircraft, get your pilot's license. There are even aircraft classifications already for lightweight low-performance craft for which you don't need the full license but a restricted one will do

That stops being "easy enough" really quickly when they're taking off and landing from residential neighborhoods or within, oh, fifty thousand kilometers of an elementary school.

Honestly, given the crazy risk aversion in North America it's pretty much a moot point. If significant steps start being taken towards an economically viable flying car as something other than an art piece or individual project, we'll get a huge, panicky media blitz about terrorist applications, and they'll be outlawed - possibly effectively, probably explicitly - immediately afterwards.

It's Not Going To Happen.

Pilots licenses are not remotely as simple as drivers licenses. Upon quick lookup, there's no way a flying car falls under ultralight or light-sport aircraft, so you would need a full private pilot's license. And good luck with that.

You also run into issues with flight lanes in some places. MSP airport is smack in the middle of the Twin Cities metro for instance.

Yeah. KATL (busiest airport in the US) is roughly bordered on 3 sides by major interstates. Flying cars are a no-go anywhere near there.

• Options
    ArtereisArtereis Registered User regular
    Tim is back again with what is possibly his best work yet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f8FAJXPBdOg&t=0s

• Options
    RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    even more true for flying cars than for jetpacks
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DG3ORCDEYUE

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
    Somebody has to be a downer...

a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
  • Options
    Bliss 101Bliss 101 Registered User regular
    edited June 2017
    In fascinating animal cognition news, a tribe of chimpanzees is gathering stone cairns in a way that scientists think might be a religious ritual.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/science/mysterious-chimpanzee-behaviour-could-be-sacred-rituals-and-show-that-chimps-believe-in-god-a6911301.html

Could also be some kind of cargo cult behavior without an actual "religious" aspect?

Bliss 101 on
    MSL59.jpg
  • Options
    JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    or perhaps viral marketing for Rise of the Dawn of the Planet of the Apes?

• Options
    They're throwing rocks through holes and seem to be getting very excited about it. It takes a special kind of nerd to see that and think religion before sport.

• Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    Hevach wrote: »
    They're throwing rocks through holes and seem to be getting very excited about it. It takes a special kind of nerd to see that and think religion before sport.

It's Basic Anthropology 101: if at first you don't understand it, it's ritual (behaviour/artefact/other) but if it's really weird, it's gotta be religion.

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    Bliss 101Bliss 101 Registered User regular
    That's a pretty good point. Sports didn't even occur to me when I read the article. But it makes sense that they might be doing this just for fun.

MSL59.jpg
  • Options
    not much of a difference between sport and religion really, look at the aztecs

games can be just as much as a ritual/religious thing as anything

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Trace wrote: »
    not much of a difference between sport and religion really, look at the aztecs

Or, you know, your die-hard [X] team fan.

• Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    hey-bet-can-a-game-draw-i-000-dicks-baae-before-4917804.png

• Options
    BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    edited June 2017
    Yeah as neat as it is to think that this may be spiritual, and as much as I'm convinced that a leaning towards belief in the supernatural is the exact sort of leftover instinctual behavior that we would have inherited from our ancestors, there's no reason yet to believe that this isn't some other sort of ritual, like a passtime or a game or a sport or even just a weird cultural fad.

Edit: That doesn't mean it isn't religion, either! I just think that news outlets grab at the most sensational possibility for any scientific finding and then that becomes the thing it has to be. I'd love to see this followed up with more detailed study, if that's at all possible.

BloodySloth on
  • Options
    ZibblsnrtZibblsnrt Registered User regular
    It'd be interesting to see the actual study as opposed to Science Journalism(tm) about it, to see what's written about it without three or four layers of hype added.

• Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    All I know is that my fellow students in primary loved drawing dicks all over their desks.

• Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    http://bgr.com/2017/06/16/uranus-mission-probe-nasa/
    NASA wants to probe Uranus in search of gas

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Yeah as neat as it is to think that this may be spiritual, and as much as I'm convinced that a leaning towards belief in the supernatural is the exact sort of leftover instinctual behavior that we would have inherited from our ancestors, there's no reason yet to believe that this isn't some other sort of ritual, like a passtime or a game or a sport or even just a weird cultural fad.

Edit: That doesn't mean it isn't religion, either! I just think that news outlets grab at the most sensational possibility for any scientific finding and then that becomes the thing it has to be. I'd love to see this followed up with more detailed study, if that's at all possible.

I honestly think it's neat that we can kind of have a window into a possible world of how the early humans might have acted.

I wonder if chimpanzees have any evolutionary stress that would encourage them to develop like humans did.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    In the short term, the biggest threat to chimps is human activity. So on the one hand, the most common adaptation to that has been reclusiveness and instinctive fear of humans, on the other humans tend to act on a timescale that defies evolution in anything with generations longer that a few weeks.

Hevach on
  • Options
    It's worth pointing out first that chimps and humans split from a common ancestor about five million years ago, and that they are no more that common ancestor than we are. The most interesting thing in this divergence is that something in our environment set off the whole brain arms-race that launched us into an advanced tool-using species. It could be something genetic, or it could have been a cultural fluke like discovering how to start and control fires (expanding caloric intake that would reduce the hurdle energy-intensive mutations would need to be passed on).

• Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    Emissary42 wrote: »
    It's worth pointing out first that chimps and humans split from a common ancestor about five million years ago, and that they are no more that common ancestor than we are. The most interesting thing in this divergence is that something in our environment set off the whole brain arms-race that launched us into an advanced tool-using species. It could be something genetic, or it could have been a cultural fluke like discovering how to start and control fires (expanding caloric intake that would reduce the hurdle energy-intensive mutations would need to be passed on).

Or:
    d4d307162dbdbf58980cf18f0fc72787.jpg

• Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
  • Options

The prevailing theory was the congo river splitting human ancestors from the bonobo's ancestors I think.

If you were on the bonobo side, there was no need for war because of the opulence of food and water and not much in terms of predators.

The human side was a bit different, and much harsher I guess?

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    bowen wrote: »

The prevailing theory was the congo river splitting human ancestors from the bonobo's ancestors I think.

If you were on the bonobo side, there was no need for war because of the opulence of food and water and not much in terms of predators.

Well, the genera Australopithecus and Homo seem to have arisen in savannas, where chimpanzees remained in heavily forested areas. That is what is thought to have been a big driver for bipedal locomotion, and eventually the adaptations that make humans efficient distance runners when hunting.

• Options
    edited June 2017

Well, the genera Australopithecus and Homo seem to have arisen in savannas, where chimpanzees remained in heavily forested areas. That is what is thought to have been a big driver for bipedal locomotion, and eventually the adaptations that make humans efficient distance runners when hunting.

That's a byproduct of "oh shit we need more food", I'd assume. But the common chimpanzee was on that side of the congo river with us (read: our ancestor species), and they turned out pretty violent like we did. Whereas the bonobo didn't, who were on the other side of the river?

The last time I heard this theory was probably 10-15 years ago at the tail end of high school though.

bowen on
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    I'm curious as to how much of a culture chimpanzees are capable of sustaining, once they've somehow developed or been given it.

• Options
    LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular
    http://www.popsci.com/g00/bionic-limbs-amputations?i10c.referrer=https://l.facebook.com/
    Prosthetic limbs are advancing in leaps and bounds. They’re becoming computerized, brain-controlled, and sensational. But as futuristic as these bionic limbs are, users often prefer simpler devices because the fancy ones are hard to control and they don’t provide enough feedback.

If you flex your wrist, even if your eyes are closed, you can feel where your wrist is and how fast you’re flexing it. And if you’re holding a barbell, you can feel how heavy it is. Someone with an artificial wrist can’t feel any of that—instead, she has to constantly keep an eye on her prosthetic to see what it’s doing.

“Those sensations are what we intend to provide back to people with limb amputation,” says Hugh Herr, who creates prosthetic limbs at MIT and wears two bionic legs himself.

Herr and his colleagues argue that part of the reason advanced prosthetics aren’t taking off is because amputation essentially hasn’t changed since the Civil War. In a new paper in Science Robotics, they’ve tested a new amputation procedure that may provide better control of advanced prostheses, as well as sensory feedback.

Typical amputations slice right through a patient’s nerves and muscles, leaving some extra muscle to tuck around the end of the limb for cushioning. Without any organs to stimulate, the severed nerves swell painfully. In addition, the arrangement weakens the electrical signals from the muscle, making it difficult to control some bionic limbs that take their orders from the body’s electrical circuitry.

Normally, muscles come in pairs that do opposite things. When you flex your biceps, for example, your triceps stretch. That stretching tricep automatically sends a signal back to your brain, telling you what’s happening in your arm. Amputation typically breaks up these muscle pairings, but Herr thinks that recreating them could make controlling a bionic limb feel more natural, and could give users a sense of their bionic limb’s position and movements without having to look at it. (That sense is called proprioception.)

To test out this idea, Herr and his team created artificial muscle pairings in seven rats. Taking two muscles whose nerves had been removed, they linked them together and grafted them into the rats’ legs. Then they took two nerves that normally flex and extend leg muscles, and attached one to each muscle graft. Later, when they stimulated one of the muscles to make it contract, measurements showed that the second muscle automatically sent out a signal to the brain as it stretched. The experiment showed that these artificial muscle pairings work similarly to the biological pairings. Plus, the muscles and nerves provided a strong enough electrical signal that it could potentially be used to control a prosthetic device.

More in article

waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options

That's a byproduct of "oh shit we need more food", I'd assume. But the common chimpanzee was on that side of the congo river with us (read: our ancestor species), and they turned out pretty violent like we did. Whereas the bonobo didn't, who were on the other side of the river?

The last time I heard this theory was probably 10-15 years ago at the tail end of high school though.

Bonobos are also very different in terms of reproductive behavior. They can't reliably tell which male is the father of any given offspring, so that tends to change their social dynamics to a great degree (I think there's another primate with a similar social structure but I don't remember which). One thing that's definite is they do not really use tools except in captivity, so if I was to bet on which group had better long-term prospects for further intellectual development I'm going with the chimps.

This discussion has been closed.