As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[The Good Place] Like a Wave Returning to the Ocean

• Options
    Kipling217Kipling217 Registered User regular
    LoisLane wrote: »
    I just binge watched the entire season. I really really want to see some flashbacks into Tahini’s childhood. Her sister is freaking awful and it’s fascinating to watch when you have a really positive relationship with your own sister.

Her family in general is abusive and awful

And its so weird that her sister seems to be not only the favorite of her parents, but so effortlessly successful that it boggles the imagination of even the Good Place's version of reality.

she gets the credit for saving Tahani from the statue even when people could see that she did nothing.

There has to be something strange going on there.

The sky was full of stars, every star an exploding ship. One of ours.
  • Options
    AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    Kipling217 wrote: »
    I just binge watched the entire season. I really really want to see some flashbacks into Tahini’s childhood. Her sister is freaking awful and it’s fascinating to watch when you have a really positive relationship with your own sister.

And its so weird that her sister seems to be not only the favorite of her parents, but so effortlessly successful that it boggles the imagination of even the Good Place's version of reality.

she gets the credit for saving Tahani from the statue even when people could see that she did nothing.

That's just a cult of personality.

• Options
    ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular

I honestly wouldn’t be surprised if Tahani was actually legitimately better than her sister at everything other than winning acclaim for her actions.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Tahani’s sister is 100% going to The Bad Place.

• Options
    EvermournEvermourn Registered User regular
    Shadowhope wrote: »

I honestly wouldn’t be surprised if Tahani was actually legitimately better than her sister at everything other than winning acclaim for her actions.

We did see their respective efforts at drawing/sculpting a bird as kids. Tahani's was good, but her sister's was streets ahead.

• Options
    chrono_travellerchrono_traveller Registered User regular
    edited October 2018
    Evermourn wrote: »

We did see their respective efforts at drawing/sculpting a bird as kids. Tahani's was good, but her sister's was streets ahead.

Nonsense! Tahani's had a hat! :wink:

chrono_traveller on
    The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it. ~ Terry Pratchett
  • Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    Evermourn wrote: »

Making statements like that means you're streets behind.

Coined and minted.

• Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    edited October 2018
    The gag where the hostess
    hands Chidi the gun and says "this will go off when your table is ready"
    might have made me laugh so hard I missed the next minute or so of dialogue.

Yeah. It captures how other countries see Americans.
    I like how they simply took an American restaurant to that next layer of obnoxiousness

Krathoon on
  • Options
    I like how The Good Place Earth is a sillier version of our own.

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Krathoon wrote: »

/glances around

Is it?

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    LoisLaneLoisLane Registered User regular
    edited October 2018

/glances around

Is it?

Yep.

Also, if I was Tahani, I would have just run down that hallway with my eyes closed. Kicked my shoes off and booked it. And in the end I would be happy knowing that everyone else would be burning in hell for eternity.

LoisLane on
  • Options
    American Restaurants
    If you go to Longhorn Steakhouse they give you a hunting knife to cut your bread. It always creeps me out.
    Dave and Buster's has drinks with the bottles sticking out of them.

• Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    edited October 2018

/glances around

Is it?

This Earth is most definitely not silly place, it is a mean place.

I think we are living in the Universe that was supposed to get the TV show The Bad Place

Veevee on
  • Options
    I don't know about you but it always seems like American restaurants are trying to kill me with unhealthy food.

• Options
    CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular

/glances around

Is it?

Yep.

Also, if I was Tahani, I would have just run down that hallway with my eyes closed. Kicked my shoes off and booked it. And in the end I would be happy knowing that everyone else would be burning in hell for eternity.

If she could, she wouldn’t be Tahani!

• Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular

/glances around

Is it?

Yep.

I mean, she almost made it; only stopped at her parents' door. I feel like that's not necessarily Tahani-specific, but definitely something that she'd laser-target on.

sig.gif
  • Options
    edited October 2018

/glances around

Is it?

Yep.

That is her flaw, she can't just let it go and forgive her family.

Krathoon on
  • Options
    ChaosHatChaosHat Hop, hop, hop, HA! Trick of the lightRegistered User regular
    I don't think forgiveness is required. I was going to say "being happy that everyone else is going to burn in hell" is probably disqualifying but the bar for those tests appeared to be SO LOW.

1) Choose a hat. Any hat. It doesn't matter, they're hats.
    2) Just ask if there's some alternative to the test instead of blindly jumping in to what you assume is the test on impulse.
    3) Walk down a hall way and not give a shit about anyone or anything inside the doors.

Eleanor's was by far the hardest, and I would say, kind of dickish by comparison. To have a fake Chidi there is an enhanced level of difficulty. It'd be another thing if Chidi's test was choosing a set of boots for a fake Eleanor or something.

• Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    ChaosHat wrote: »
    I don't think forgiveness is required. I was going to say "being happy that everyone else is going to burn in hell" is probably disqualifying but the bar for those tests appeared to be SO LOW.

1) Choose a hat. Any hat. It doesn't matter, they're hats.
    2) Just ask if there's some alternative to the test instead of blindly jumping in to what you assume is the test on impulse.
    3) Walk down a hall way and not give a shit about anyone or anything inside the doors.

Eleanor's was by far the hardest, and I would say, kind of dickish by comparison. To have a fake Chidi there is an enhanced level of difficulty. It'd be another thing if Chidi's test was choosing a set of boots for a fake Eleanor or something.

They were all designed for their personal flaws. The bar for any of them seems low because we watching are (hopefully) reasonably well-adjusted people who could walk through them with little trouble. Eleanor's was harder and more duplicitous to us because she was still the viewpoint character.

Editing thing in the latest episode:
    This is the first (and last?) time we actually saw Janet summon something, wasn't it? All the other times I remember were just a ding! and a camera cut, rather than objects just appearing out of the air. It felt a bit jarring to see it this way.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    I know that comedy broadens the characters out so that way choosing a hat is something that can determine whether or not you are tortured for eternity, but Eleanor's test was legitimately something difficult that I think a lot of people would actually struggle with. I guess she is probably the least ridiculous/broadly written character out of the group now that I think about it.

• Options
    Elanor is the most deceptive character, so it fits.

• Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    edited October 2018
    Eleanor is the character least defined by a single character trait. Chidi is indecisive, Tahani is vain, Jason is dumb, and Eleanor is...a bunch of things. Which is why we see the most growth from her. It's not that she's just selfish, or just distrusting, or just self-centered. She starts out as all of those things, so her test is challenging all of those things, so it's going to be the most difficult.

The downside of this is that the rest of the cast have kind of become caricatures. It's common to be tempted to act out of self-interest, or to bend the truth to get what we want, or avoid something we don't. We don't take 90 minutes to pick out a hat.

Javen on
  • Options
    jimb213jimb213 Registered User regular
    Javen wrote: »
    Eleanor is the character least defined by a single character trait. Chidi is indecisive, Tahani is vain, Jason is dumb, and Eleanor is...a bunch of things trash bag. Her words, not mine. Which is why we see the most growth from her. It's not that she's just selfish, or just distrusting, or just self-centered. She starts out as all of those things, so her test is challenging all of those things, so it's going to be the most difficult.

The downside of this is that the rest of the cast have kind of become caricatures. It's common to be tempted to act out of self-interest, or to bend the truth to get what we want, or avoid something we don't. We don't take 90 minutes to pick out a hat.

There we go.

• Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    Tahani’s sister is 100% going to The Bad Place.

Yeah, but pretty much everybody is going to The Bad Place, so that's not really saying much.

• Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    Yeah, but her biggest issue is stated to be her selfishness, which is what her trash-bagness is all based around.
    And Jason's test was for impulsiveness, ie; wait until he's been told the entire test before taking it.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    Eleanor is the character least defined by a single character trait. Chidi is indecisive, Tahani is vain, Jason is dumb, and Eleanor is...a bunch of things. Which is why we see the most growth from her. It's not that she's just selfish, or just distrusting, or just self-centered. She starts out as all of those things, so her test is challenging all of those things, so it's going to be the most difficult.

I have OCD and during some of my most severe flare-ups, 90 minutes to pick a hate or frankly just avoiding the choice altogether if possible, is not...well, it’s not that far-fetched. It’s certainly played up for laughs and the fact that there is no sensible context associated with it is what makes it ludicrous but if you attach that choice to a real-world context like “I’m going to a party, which hat should I choose” can certainly set people with severe OCD down a 90 minute free fall.

Also, the rest of the characters responded to their challenges in completely reasonable and believable ways. If Tahani hadn’t entered that room, I might’ve called bullshit.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    Drez wrote: »

I have OCD and during some of my most severe flare-ups, 90 minutes to pick a hate or frankly just avoiding the choice altogether if possible, is not...well, it’s not that far-fetched. It’s certainly played up for laughs and the fact that there is no sensible context associated with it is what makes it ludicrous but if you attach that choice to a real-world context like “I’m going to a party, which hat should I choose” can certainly set people with severe OCD down a 90 minute free fall.

Also, the rest of the characters responded to their challenges in completely reasonable and believable ways. If Tahani hadn’t entered that room, I might’ve called bullshit.

In context these are reasonable complaints but: Just pick a hat and you get to go to the good place. If Chidi can't pick a hat, where it doesn't actually matter what hat he chooses then the character is mentally unwell and it seems unfair to judge this person but I guess the whole system is unfair so fuck it. This also opens up a can of worms of okay, what if Chidi does have some sort of disorder and took medicine for it on Earth but obviously that is not available to him how should he be judged and if it's unadulterated then was he not actually himself while on medicine and how should the things he did while on medication be scored? If he has some sort of disorder, is it cured in the afterlife? If it's not cured should he be judged on it, or is it not perceived to be a flaw? DEEP SHIT.

Tahani is fucking dumb and she shouldn't have entered the room and realistically if you enter that room with those stakes I kind of feel like you almost deserve to be damned. 1) you are expressly told that you will be damned for eternity should you enter a room. If you go in with that condition, I guess you're going to pay the price. 2) The people in that room are almost certainly not her actual parents but some sort of construct and therefore whatever epiphany, revelation, or anything that can be gained from talking to them is of zero actual value. In fact, the revelation she DOES get "I shouldn't actually give a shit about what you think because you're awful and my being concerned about it is dragging me down as a person" is the same one she would have had by walking by the door.

Jason's is basically a trick question and I think it's pretty unfair. She straight up tells him she has to win the game. He does so. It's basically the same as saying "AHA JASON! The actual test was this math problem taped to the bottom of the Xbox! YOU LOSE!"

• Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    I'm really looking forward to meeting an actual denizen of the good place. It feels like the show is heading to a place where the good place is actually completely empty because the standards are so high, but then we've actually seen the medium place, which seems... reasonable.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    The Hat test had ramifications. If he picked "wrong" everyone goes to hell . It doesnt matter if he was told there was no wrong answer Chidi is incapable of accepting that at face value

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    Was he actually told that his choice mattered or was he just told "pick a hat?" Her reaction seems like it was just "pick a hat." I wouldn't be surprised if that was the case since he is needlessly indecisive over other stuff that are equally trivial.

• Options
    BoomerAang SquadBoomerAang Squad Registered User regular
    We don't even know if he was told anything. He may have entered the room, saw the two hats, the big ass clock on the wall, and went "Okay...."

• Options
    destroyah87destroyah87 They/Them Preferred: She/Her - Please UseRegistered User regular
    edited October 2018
    Was he actually told that his choice mattered or was he just told "pick a hat?" Her reaction seems like it was just "pick a hat." I wouldn't be surprised if that was the case since he is needlessly indecisive over other stuff that are equally trivial.

It really wouldn't even matter if the Judge had said: "Here are two hats. Pick one and you pass." Chidi would overthink it and start inventing other rules or reasons he has to make sure he picks the hat that is Morally Right. That's his biggest problem, every single decision he makes is given the same level of scrutiny as the most weighty moral quandaries of humanity.

And Tahani went into the room less because she didn't care what her parents thought of her but that she still very much cared. Their conversation in the room is what made her take the final step to internalizing that nothing she would or could ever do would make her parents give her respect or acknowledge her over/at the same level as her sister. In a sense, Tahani failed her test by gaining the internal insight that she would've needed to pass it in the first place.

Jason is just ... Jason. Impulse Control is not his forte (and probably never will be.) Sure the Judge presented the test in a manner designed to get him excited and just jump ahead without thinking. That's the point, if he wasn't capable of stopping and thinking for a minute, it would have proven that he hadn't overcome his own flaws to the necessary extent to go into the good place. As mentioned, the meditation scene shows that he had improved so much from where he started, just not far enough to pass her test.

destroyah87 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    I'd love it if the season finale is the group creating a new category of the afterlife. A "reforming place" if you will. For those who fucked up but don't deserve eternal damnation.

LoisLane on
  • Options
    Drez wrote: »

In context these are reasonable complaints but: Just pick a hat and you get to go to the good place. If Chidi can't pick a hat, where it doesn't actually matter what hat he chooses then the character is mentally unwell and it seems unfair to judge this person but I guess the whole system is unfair so fuck it. This also opens up a can of worms of okay, what if Chidi does have some sort of disorder and took medicine for it on Earth but obviously that is not available to him how should he be judged and if it's unadulterated then was he not actually himself while on medicine and how should the things he did while on medication be scored? If he has some sort of disorder, is it cured in the afterlife? If it's not cured should he be judged on it, or is it not perceived to be a flaw? DEEP SHIT.

Tahani is fucking dumb and she shouldn't have entered the room and realistically if you enter that room with those stakes I kind of feel like you almost deserve to be damned. 1) you are expressly told that you will be damned for eternity should you enter a room. If you go in with that condition, I guess you're going to pay the price. 2) The people in that room are almost certainly not her actual parents but some sort of construct and therefore whatever epiphany, revelation, or anything that can be gained from talking to them is of zero actual value. In fact, the revelation she DOES get "I shouldn't actually give a shit about what you think because you're awful and my being concerned about it is dragging me down as a person" is the same one she would have had by walking by the door.

Jason's is basically a trick question and I think it's pretty unfair. She straight up tells him she has to win the game. He does so. It's basically the same as saying "AHA JASON! The actual test was this math problem taped to the bottom of the Xbox! YOU LOSE!"

Jason's is kind of a trick question, but not really if you actually stop and think for a second (so obvs Jason failed).

Her words were "in front of you is a game of Madden football. You can only play against the Jaguars, playing as the Titans. IF you play the game and lose- (it cuts off there, but I assume she was going to say "you fail the test"

• Options
    The Chidi thing is something we won't agree on because either the character is written so over the top broadly or needs medication and it's almost pointless to talk about. Again I would say he does not respond to the challenge in a reasonable way.

You are correct with Tahani. She deserved to fail. I would say she does not respond to the challenge in a reasonable way because it is UNREASONABLE to do so with your eternal fate in the balance. That's just me.

Jason absolutely responds to it reasonably and if the judge puts me in a room and says "Your challenge is to finish this math problem" and I say "okay" and then DO IT it seems unreasonable to say "Oh but you didn't ask if you had to" when any other time asking "Do I have to?" is kind of pointless.

Hey, you have to pay your taxes if you don't want to go to jail. Do I have to?
    You have to show up on time to work. Do I have to?
    You have to stop shaking your baby. Do I have to?

Like when an authority figure tells you what to do I don't think it's unreasonable to just assume that is the thing they want you to do and anything else is pretty unfair. If Tahani asks "Do I have to go down this hall?" it would be reasonable for the judge to roll her eyes and say "Yes dummy! I just told you to!"

• Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    Jason's was more like "There's a math problem in front of you, if you solve it--" OKAY I GOT THIS, OUTTA THE WAY

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    Jason's was more like "There's a math problem in front of you, if you solve it--" OKAY I GOT THIS, OUTTA THE WAY
    He was also super rude for no reason.

• Options
    destroyah87destroyah87 They/Them Preferred: She/Her - Please UseRegistered User regular
    edited October 2018
    You're right in that Tahani didn't respond to the test as a reasonable person, concerned with their eternal destination, likely would've. I'll make the argument that if she was a reasonable person before then, she'd have already been in the good place all along. She's been chasing after her parent's love and/or respect her whole life and gave into temptation. As an aside, for me to walk down a hallway filled with the people in my life talking about their true inner opinion of me would be exceedingly rough. The temptation and internal monologue would be intense.

Jason also jumped on the game before the Judge even finished talking and then said "yeah, yeah. I got this" or something similar. His failure wasn't so much because he didn't ask the right question to reveal the trick of the scenario but that he interrupted the Judge to start playing and then told her to go away. To put it bluntly, he failed because he was impulsive and rude and also didn't even stop to ask any other questions about the situation.

destroyah87 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    And yeah, we don't know how she exactly phrased Chidi's challenge, but with Tahani, and with Jason if he'd have shut up for one goddamn second, she wasn't exactly trying to hide what the tests were. She was very explicit with what was being challenged. It was probably something very similar to "pick a hat. Seriously. Just pick a hat. The hats don't do anything, they're just hats. Pick one and you win."

Javen on
  • Options
    EmperorSethEmperorSeth Registered User regular
    One thing I noticed. Last season, near the end, Michael said they were torturing 30 billion people. Which is a lot, but it's believed that 110 billion people ever lived. So that suggests that either people leave The Bad Place pretty regularly, or way less people make it into The Bad Place than we assume.

You know what? Nanowrimo's cancelled on account of the world is stupid.