As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Book One, Ep 3 Reschedule: 1/20] 13th Age - The Legend of the Avatars

• Options
    Erin The RedErin The Red The Name's Erin! Woman, Podcaster, Dungeon Master, IT nerd, Parent, Trans. AMA Baton Rouge, LARegistered User regular
    The real dumb thing is that there's no way to make them token icons easily from your character sheet. So if you want to be able to just click your token and push the right button, you have to do a whole different thing!

• Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    Character background question; is there a precedent for resurrection in this setting? Possibly great spirit initiated?

If not, I think I can work with just being alive for the stretch between Fire Nation aggression and present.

We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    I'm blanking on it if there is. There are strong precedents for reincarnation and past lives, especially among avatars. The spirit world is an actual place where aging can work differently as well as various bending changing the length of time people live. Aang is in stasis for like a hundred years but runs into multiple people from before that in his adventures.

So clearly you've just been stuck in a spirit world Silent Hill like scenario which I'm sure makes you really upbeat and chipper.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    In terms of reincarnation, is it typical that Avatars are reincarnated from other Avatars, or do they bring back the equivalent of some random schlub to be a new Avatar?

Edit: Because I think it would be really funny if this guy was an avatar for deeply opposed spirits in his different lives.

OptimusZed on

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    OatsOats Registered User regular
    There's a continuity of Avatars, but they can be wildly different people. It's more they feel a spiritual connection to their past lives than any sort of transference.

• Options
    Is that a general sense of connection to previous past lives, say, Iron Fist style or do they have direct lines to specific previous avatars? Is it along tribal/default bending lines? When they showed the previous Avatars on Korra a lot of them were there, but they were still in their tribal clothes and she seemed more connected to Aang than anyone else. Is that just a time proximity thing?

• Options
    edited November 2016
    OptimusZed wrote: »
    Is that a general sense of connection to previous past lives, say, Iron Fist style or do they have direct lines to specific previous avatars? Is it along tribal/default bending lines? When they showed the previous Avatars on Korra a lot of them were there, but they were still in their tribal clothes and she seemed more connected to Aang than anyone else. Is that just a time proximity thing?

Aang literally meditates and has conversations with his previous lives. The Avatar is a bit of a special case since the whole point is that it is like a thousand long line of reincarnations. Their reincarnations specifically went in a cycle of tribes (Air-Water-Earth-Fire) without any kind of genetic link. The Aang thing was probably time proximity combined with them being the only one even vaguely familiar with Korra's situation.

DevoutlyApathetic on
  • Options
    Hmm.

So how does that work with multiple avatars?

• Options
    Hmm.

So how does that work with multiple avatars?

[Jdarksun]I don't know, how do you think it should work?[/Jdarksun]

• Options
    Maybe my dude is from a family that has been Avatars of General Old Iron (which really sounds like a pre-industrial microwave manufacturer the more I say it in my head) since before he flipped out. Maybe we were the reason he flipped out. And ever since then he's basically treated us like the redheaded stepchildren of the Avatar community. Now Hei Bei ('sup, shorty) has offered me a chance to break that cycle and either establish a connection with him/her/it or just not be a line of Avatars anymore. So I've got a ton of family history baggage, dead relatives that yell at me occasionally and ambitions for my descendents not to have to put up with this crap anymore.

• Options
    Also: Concordance. My google fu is turning up nothing in a couple of attempts. Can somebody please give me the rundown on this place real quick? I want to make sure I'm not violating any more setting precepts as I put all this together.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    BTW, somebody still hasn't left the call from last night... 14 hours and counting...

• Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    Also: Concordance. My google fu is turning up nothing in a couple of attempts. Can somebody please give me the rundown on this place real quick? I want to make sure I'm not violating any more setting precepts as I put all this together.
    It's called Republic City in the show. I renamed it in the game to reflect the concept of multiple Avatar spirits instead of just once, and imply group cooperation between them in the previous cycle.

• Options
    Ah hah. Thanks.

• Options
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    BTW, somebody still hasn't left the call from last night... 14 hours and counting...

That would be me.

On device number 3.

• Options
    Updated OUT and reason for being in Concordance. Hopefully this integrates better with the thrust of the game.

• Options
    Erin The RedErin The Red The Name's Erin! Woman, Podcaster, Dungeon Master, IT nerd, Parent, Trans. AMA Baton Rouge, LARegistered User regular
    Heh. Thrust.

• Options
    Hey folk, event invite going out for this Saturday (11/12). Let me know if that doesn't work for you and we can look to reschedule.

Reminder, please post a link to your character sheet if you haven't already. Thanks!

• Options
    So I think I'll be around Saturday night but there is a chance that won't work. I'm moving this weekend and Saturday evening is my "Load the U-Haul up" time slot. I should be done by 9 and was planning on leaving the computer set up till the next morning but I figured a heads up is in order.

• Options
    Notes for next time: Large Lv. 4 creatures are bad times for 6x Lv. 1s.

Thanks for playing! :)

• Options
    Look. Oat's character has to be melted by overpowered enemies at some point.

We just got it out of the way early this time.

• Options
    Thanks for running!
    I need to hope for more doors I can close so the party can't see what I do

• Options
    Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
    Did you already have a TPK?

Those Large/Double Health Monsters are suppose to be mini-bosses, especially level 1. If you wanted one, you should have done 1 Large, 2-3 regular, and 4-6 mooks. They also do double the damage (10 compared to the 5 of regular monsters) at a slight cost (5 to hit vs. 6 to hit regular).

• Options
    We had a melting of a player character, then time got rewound a little bit. Then the player character got knocked unconscious anyway, but not instantly destroyed.

• Options

Those Large/Double Health Monsters are suppose to be mini-bosses, especially level 1. If you wanted one, you should have done 1 Large, 2-3 regular, and 4-6 mooks. They also do double the damage (10 compared to the 5 of regular monsters) at a slight cost (5 to hit vs. 6 to hit regular).
    Manticore recommended an Ogre berserker (wrecker4) as a fair encounter for 6x Lv. 1 characters. For the most part, the fight was pretty reasonable - but it does like 7d6 damage to an engaged party that crits it. Which has the potential to be deadly.

• Options
    Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
    jdarksun wrote: »

Manticore recommended an Ogre berserker (wrecker4) as a fair encounter for 6x Lv. 1 characters. For the most part, the fight was pretty reasonable - but it does like 7d6 damage to an engaged party that crits it. Which has the potential to be deadly.

Ah, I was quick reading while playing Dishonored 2 and thought you sent 4 level 1 large monsters.

I've used that monster before on a 2nd level group, the ranger kept criting which of course set off that special and got him killed. Orges are no joke in this game.

• Options
    ArdentArdent Down UpsideRegistered User regular
    jdarksun wrote: »

You can always ignore those situational trigger abilities and the game doesn't suffer for it.

Steam ID | Origin ID: ArdentX | Uplay ID: theardent | Battle.net: Ardent#11476
  • Options
    We shaved two dice off it (so it was a mere 5d6 with no save on a target with 18 max hp) and it didn't instantly kill me at that point.

• Options
    Oats wrote: »
    We shaved two dice off it (so it was a mere 5d6 with no save on a target with 18 max hp) and it didn't instantly kill me at that point.

Well, I also let you rally before that hit you.

• Options
    I would have survived either way.

That almost kept me conscious.

• Options
    Oats wrote: »
    I would have survived either way.

That almost kept me conscious.

See? Perfectly fine!

• Options
    Consciousness is overrated

• Options
    Consciousness is overrated

Makes you think

• Options
    How Can The Spirit World Be Real If Our Eyes Aren't Real

• Options
    Did you folks manage to get this in, or did my absence collapse the singularity?

• Options
    Did you folks manage to get this in, or did my absence collapse the singularity?

My computer was making this really good grinding sound (I really recommend it) and needed a teardown so I was out also. So we postponed. Or... Preponed it.

It already happened!

• Options
    I am familiar with the intersection of grinding sounds and computers.

It typically ends well.

• Options
    This session went... Uh... Some places

• Options
    Well, geographically it was almost a perfect circle.

• Options
    I thought Bao Fen and I were perfectly civil.

We didn't even cause the property damage!