As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Juicero Memorial [Tech Thread]

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    When ipods were the hot new thing everyone had I still had a diskman

• Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    Oghulk wrote: »
    There's actually an exception in most NEC codes for bootlegged ground because it was hyper common for renovations between the 70s and mid 90s, especially for large appliances like dryers, to the point where they had to make the exception.

Yeah the newer dryers have to be changed with an adapter now specifically because of that problem.

Which is fine until you end up with an older dryer and the home depot doesn't have the adapter cause ???

It's a fucking nightmare too.

My dad and I used to fix up houses (he'd buy HUD houses for cheap and resell them fixed up). But the problem with most HUD houses is they're auction based, and you don't really get to inspect them before you buy them (but you can buy houses for like 10-20 grand). You should see the shit some people do with renovations.

Oh I bet.

If I didn't go to college I'd definitely have gone in to be an electrician by trade cause they are making bank right now and it's a job that won't be easily replaced with automation anytime soon.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    I actually though about going into carpentry or electrician probably about a year ago, just for a less stressful and more fulfilling job.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    I actually though about going into carpentry or electrician probably about a year ago, just for a less stressful and more fulfilling job.

If it wasn't for the fact that I got a job with the government doing stuff that actually uses my history/Chinese degree I would've done an electrical apprenticeship or welding apprenticeship. A lot of people look down on that work for weird reasons, but I think it's super meaningful, it pays super well, and can't be automated easily like a whole lot of white collar jobs will be soon. It's even weirder given a lot of the cultural responses white collar office work over the past like 20+ years. I absolutely loved repairing electrical fixtures and what not while working as a tech in various theaters.

• Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    pimento wrote: »
    ArcSyn wrote: »
    Karl wrote: »
    I've never had an Iphone so I had no idea that was a thing.

What do you do with apps you don't want on your home screen? Stick them in a folder and pretend they're not there?

Yup. Toss them into a folder on page 5.

You can remove the icons for the built in apps now (as of iOS 10) so it's not so bad.

Until your mum rings up and says 'I thought there was a calendar on here but there's not and I tried to download one on the app store but it's asking all these questions' so she invites you around for dinner as long as you spend 2 minutes signing her up to the app store to restore the icons.

Which is also not so bad, so.. good job apple I guess?

Yeah, it's convenient at least if you must remove the app icons. I wish it would actually remove them from storage too though. The fact it took until iOS 10 though to enable this, and after they'd added 10 more apps (I don't know a full count, but it feels like 10) that can't be removed and are pointless if you don't have a health device or watch.
    Oghulk wrote: »

If it wasn't for the fact that I got a job with the government doing stuff that actually uses my history/Chinese degree I would've done an electrical apprenticeship or welding apprenticeship. A lot of people look down on that work for weird reasons, but I think it's super meaningful, it pays super well, and can't be automated easily like a whole lot of white collar jobs will be soon. It's even weirder given a lot of the cultural responses white collar office work over the past like 20+ years. I absolutely loved repairing electrical fixtures and what not while working as a tech in various theaters.

If anyone is considering it, go for it. Electrical is great, depending on your area and who you work for. I worked for an independent contractor, but have friends who work for the union and got their license and completed the years of apprenticeship needed that way. A good teacher is crucial.

Also, it saves you money if you ever buy a house and need to upgrade your service or add an outlet!

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    pimentopimento she/they/pim Registered User regular
    Uriel wrote: »
    When ipods were the hot new thing everyone had I still had a diskman

I was on a plane back in.. 2004? pulling out a big ol' disc wallet and my discman when the guy sitting next to me flashed his ipod and says 'you need one of these.' No shit mate, if I could afford one I would. Once I got a more proper job in 2006 and I was commuting on the train every morning I picked up a 60GB 5G one, I still have it somewhere. Top device, still bemused that the touch I got in.. 2011? (the 4th gen one) didn't do album shuffle.

• Options
    I mean I used my discman until like 2007 or so.

I remember finally having the money to get something more convenient. I bought a zune.

• Options
    jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    I had a Zune, I really liked it and I still feel bad that it died when I put it into a car's cupholder that was mysteriously full of water. I should have looked in the cupholder first!

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    I still have a Sansa e260 lying around somewhere. I thing the software doesn't quite work anymore?

I still use the headphones that came with it though, because they are better than any other in-ears I've gotten over the years.

honovere on
  • Options
    I ended up getting rid of the zune probably in winter 2009 or so? Hard times so I sold it.

Later on I got a cheap walkman branded MP3 player, I think it was like 60 bucks? It was pretty good then someone stole it and I had to get another.

I used it til I finally got a smartphone in probably 2011 or 12 and didn't need a separate music device.

• Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    The screen in my ZuneHD is finally starting to give out. Which is fine, really because 16 GB isn't very much storage these days anyway but I'm still gonna miss that thing. The audio quality and battery life made it a real superstar.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    I'm always reminded of this.
    215222676_3sDUq-2100x20000.jpg

I used a mini-CD MP3 player in college. It was fantastic because it just used the mini-CDs as storage and would pre-load the song or two into internal memory so it wouldn't skip ever and didn't need to constantly spin the disc. Ran off of one or two AAA batteries. I didn't get an iPod until they did video, and then switched to a Zune when they removed video out through the headphone jack. It was great for playing movies while in hotels or wherever.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    The next technology I can't wait to come down in price is 4k oled TVs in the next 4 years or so. We saw some walking around best buy and holy crap they are fucking gorgeous.

Assuming the human race don't all die before that

• Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    my gaming PC is past its 5th birthday now... I'm thinking about building a new one on the Ryzen platform. Makes me a little nervous though since AMD has been old news for a while

but Ryzen is mad good for the $

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    edited March 2017
    I wish ryzen's single threaded performance was a little better.

As it is I think I can squeeze one more year out of my i5 2500K processor.

We'll see how the CPU competition looks like in 2018

Brolo on
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    My processor is relatively ancient and I've never had any trouble running anything. It seems like processors don't matter too much any more

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    At this point I'm running my old computer until something breaks, because I can almost justify getting a 1 TB SSD at current prices. If nothing catches fire until Black Friday, I'll build a new rig then.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    Tube wrote: »
    My processor is relatively ancient and I've never had any trouble running anything. It seems like processors don't matter too much any more

There are applications in which a new processor can make a huge difference, but games are rarely one (above a certain threshold, of course). The circumstances in which a video game is CPU bottlenecked as opposed to GPU are few and far between.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    I know Civilisation is one of the real processor bound games

• Options
    i frequently watch streams + game on the same computer and of late I've gotten into situations where the two have an adverse effect on each other

so maybe not games by themselves but certainly games + a bunch of other stuff running + a 1080p60FPS stream on a second monitor is definitely finding the limits of my hardware

• Options
    My i5 2500k is still going strong almost 6 years later now.

The new Ryzen stuff is looking reeeaaalllyy good though...

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    I've got a 3770K overclocked to 4.4 GHz, and it's definitely not the bottleneck playing games at 1080p with my Gigabyte GTX680 Windforce 2GB OC. If I could afford a GTX1070 I'd be good for the next 4-5 years but alas, I have $0 to my name and videocards in Australia cost more than fucking spaceships. 45 fps in Fallout 4 (occasionally dropping to ~30 with everything set to ULTRA) will have to do.

• Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    I dropped the cash on the new i7-7700K

and I'm about to drop some cash on a Crucial 525GB SSD to go with it.

I think after that the only thing to really upgrade will be the case and cooling solutions (former is ancient, latter is all factory standard, so it runs a bit warm).

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    I read that as TB at first.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    I read that as TB at first.

I got a small personal loan which I used to purchase a new harddrive

• Options
    100% worth it, SSD read/writes have made it into 50 year+ territory I believe.

• Options
    100% worth it, SSD read/writes have made it into 50 year+ territory I believe.
    Amazon wrote:
    OCZ 3.2TB Z-Drive R4 C Series Full Height Form Factor PCIe Solid State Drive With Maximum Read and Write 2800 MB/s and Maximum 500K IOPS- ZD4CM84-HH-3.2T

Buy used: $23,642.90

• Options
    6 year personal loan, you can do $375 a month for that, if it last 50 years that's a good ROI!

• Options
    Have we reached a point where technology is even useful 10 years later?

Like, if we look at the most recent "previous" generation of technology, do we think it'll still be just as useful in, say, 5 years, as it is now? What about as useful as when it first came out?

• Options
    Current gen processors are starting to reach the upper limits of moore's law, in re: how much we can fit into CPUs

That's why even 3rd generation intel chips are only marginally worse than 7th gen ones (like maybe 10-20% difference) versus how it was a while back. That's why they're throwing more cores at things, and hopefully SMP becomes far more common in the near future and all these apps and programs take advantage of them if they need it. I'm looking at you civilization 6.

• Options
    i dont think we're that far away

TV's are basically almost there

desktop computers within the last few years have really really good life

Phones could be, but a mitigating circumstance with phone/tablet technology is that it shares an internet ecosystem with desktop/laptops which is really quite wasteful in terms of CPU and RAM and network demands.. so in select circumstances older phones hold up well, but as soon as you visit a website you can really feel where an iPhone 7 trounces an iPhone 4

• Options
    Current gen processors are starting to reach the upper limits of moore's law, in re: how much we can fit into CPUs

That's why even 3rd generation intel chips are only marginally worse than 7th gen ones (like maybe 10-20% difference) versus how it was a while back. That's why they're throwing more cores at things, and hopefully SMP becomes far more common in the near future and all these apps and programs take advantage of them if they need it. I'm looking at you civilization 6.

Also why they're focusing on power usage now along with quantum computing, since that kind of computing would basically expand the power of current CPUs by 10 fold plus.

• Options
    edited March 2017
    At work we still use 10yr old machines, and honestly they are more hindered by the aging hard drive and 1-2gb of ram. If I put a new drive and double the ram they would probably be fine.

They've been formatted and have Windows 10.

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    furlion wrote: »
    I think it is actually illegal to put a three prong plate on a socket that is not actually grounded. Not that it will necessarily stop someone from doing so.

having lived in several old houses, when dealing with old wiring people often just try to put off forever doing any work significant enough that it would trigger an inspection because bringing old wiring up to code can be god damn expensive and involve a ton of tearing out walls in old houses.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    ArcSyn wrote: »
    At work we still use 10yr old machines, and honestly they are more hindered by the aging hard drive and 1-2gb of ram. If I put a new drive and double the ram they would probably be fine.

They've been formatted and have Windows 10.

Since Windows 7 the hardware specs for being able to run the OS reasonably have barely changed and you can get away with a lot by just replacing HDD and RAM. That said, MS is finally dropping support for older OS's with the latest generation of processors, as there are hardware-level security changes they no longer consider it worth keeping up with on OS's they don't want people buying anyway.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    SharpyVIISharpyVII Registered User regular
    I've been looking at building a new pc but i really don't have the time or knowledge.

The website i buy all my pc stuff from does "barebones" systems which is everything in a case pre built apart from storage and a graphics card.

Seeing as my current pc has Gtx 1070 but everything else is quite old i think it'll work out quite well.

• Options
    Graphics cards were the bottleneck for gaming for awhile. Unless you do video editing/photo editing/coding all of which requires a high amount of ram usage, graphics cards have always been the best bang/buck for gaming.

• Options
    RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    Uriel wrote: »
    I mean I used my discman until like 2007 or so.

I remember finally having the money to get something more convenient. I bought a zune.

At least you were smart enough to get a Zune! I bought a fucking Creative Zen: Vision M.

Look at this piece of shit.

zenvism-bl-1-lg-061606.jpg

What a fucking nightmare. But it had a full color screen! You could watch movies on it! On a screen that was maybe 1.6" square.

Oh, but it was one of the first to support podcasts! Back in the day when the only podcasts out there were This Week in Tech and maybe You Look Nice Today! Except it didn't actually use RSS to load the MP3 onto the fucking device, it converted the file to a goddamn divx video that would alternate between the cover art and the show notes, taking up 50x the space adn draining your fucking battery in two hours.

GOD DAMN it was the worst tech purchase I ever made.

8406wWN.png
  • Options
    RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    Oh, also -- since it had to convert every podcast to video it would take upwards of two hours to move a single podcast over, and it would only save directly, not locally on your machine, so if you disrupted it it wouldn't actually save anywhere and you'd have to start the process over.

And you couldn't turn off the screen to save battery.

And it wouldn't save your place, so if you had to pause a show and it timed out, which took maybe five minutes, you'd have to restart the show or scroll through to find your place, but that was a fool's errand because to do so you'd have to very gently hold right on the scroll pad in the center, but if you did it too fast or accidentally double-clicked it it would just jump to the next show and mark your current show as already listened and marked for deletion, so if you plugged it into your computer it would start syncing automatically, delete your podcast file and to reload it it would have to re-convert it again.

These are all real fucking things that this device did.

8406wWN.png
  • Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    I really, really miss You Look Nice Today.

GDdCWMm.jpg
This discussion has been closed.