Options

[League of Legends] Preseason is upon us!

• Options
    KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    SKT-G2 Match 1, pick/ban
    Oh good, G2, you gave Peanut Lee Sin. That worked out extra well for the last team that did that.

Well, GG, see you in 10 minutes for game 2

• Options
    Dac VinDac Vin S-s-screw you! I only listen to DOUBLE MUSIC! Registered User regular
    edited May 2017
    SKT/G2 game 2
    HELP G2 IS UP EARLY AND I'M HAVING FLASHBACKS

e: wait this is not how the script goes

Dac Vin on
  • Options
    Dyvim TvarDyvim Tvar Registered User regular
    SKT vs G2 game 3:
    Did Faker Flash to mask the animation of his Charm, or did he Flash then Charm to reduce distance so there's less reaction time to the Charm? Or did something else entirely happen? My lizard brain struggles to understand the high level mechanics of this game that I still barely understand.

Everyone is different. Everyone is special.
  • Options
    JookieJookie Registered User regular
    I haven't seen it but more than likely reduce time to react.

butts
  • Options
    Hiryu02Hiryu02 Registered User regular
    Dyvim Tvar wrote: »
    SKT vs G2 game 3:
    Did Faker Flash to mask the animation of his Charm, or did he Flash then Charm to reduce distance so there's less reaction time to the Charm? Or did something else entirely happen? My lizard brain struggles to understand the high level mechanics of this game that I still barely understand.

Yeah
    It's to basically animation cancel also. You can start an animation, flash to essentially cancel the startup frames, but the spell still comes out at the end of the flash. So you now have a spell that essentially has almost no windup animation, and you get closer in order to reduce reaction time also. I think Ahri can also start Charm in the "wrong" direction, then flash to displace her model and now make the Charm actually shoot towards the opponent from her new position.

Sev: Your gameplay is the most heavily yomi based around. Usually you look for characters that allow you to force guessing situations for big dmg. Even if the guess is mathematically nowhere near in your favor lol. You're happiest when you have either a 50/50, 33/33/33 or even a 75/25 situation to go crazy with. And you will take big risks to force those situations to come up.
  • Options
    Hiryu02 wrote: »
    SKT vs G2 game 3:

Yeah
    It's to basically animation cancel also. You can start an animation, flash to essentially cancel the startup frames, but the spell still comes out at the end of the flash. So you now have a spell that essentially has almost no windup animation, and you get closer in order to reduce reaction time also. I think Ahri can also start Charm in the "wrong" direction, then flash to displace her model and now make the Charm actually shoot towards the opponent from her new position.
    That's fucking amazing.

• Options
    edited May 2017
    Original Ronaldo has no idea what he's doing here but he's just happy to get out of the house and remind people that he exists.

Dyvim Tvar on
  • Options
    Original Ronaldo has no idea what he's doing here but he's just happy to get out of the house and remind people that he exists.

If i'm not mistaken he is a league fan and either co-owns or has invested in, Brazilian LoL teams.

Sev: Your gameplay is the most heavily yomi based around. Usually you look for characters that allow you to force guessing situations for big dmg. Even if the guess is mathematically nowhere near in your favor lol. You're happiest when you have either a 50/50, 33/33/33 or even a 75/25 situation to go crazy with. And you will take big risks to force those situations to come up.
  • Options
    I just want to make fun of Ronaldo because I'm still salty about the '02 Wold Cup. Don't take this away from me Hiryu.

Legit though he did look pretty stoked to be there so I wouldn't be surprised at all.

• Options
    MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    edited May 2017
    Blech.

The Rammus changes are a pure nerf. You get Powerball cancelled by any kind of CC, which also doesn't give as much of a speed boost as previous, and an absolutely massive self slow on defensive curl in exchange for... magic damage on your passive, and a might-as-well-not-be-there slow on your ult.

Really, really tired of them taking simple to play champions and dumpstering them because they are simple to play, or turning them into champions that have a very high skill floor. Sometimes you don't want to juggle five different passives and semi-passives and actives that interact with passives. Sometimes you just want to do a thing and do it well.

MechMantis on
  • Options
    TcheldorTcheldor Registered User regular
    MechMantis wrote: »
    Blech.

The Rammus changes are a pure nerf. You get Powerball cancelled by any kind of CC, which also doesn't give as much of a speed boost as previous, and an absolutely massive self slow on defensive curl in exchange for... magic damage on your passive, and a might-as-well-not-be-there slow on your ult.

Really, really tired of them taking simple to play champions and dumpstering them because they are simple to play, or turning them into champions that have a very high skill floor. Sometimes you don't want to juggle five different passives and semi-passives and actives that interact with passives. Sometimes you just want to do a thing and do it well.

Play ww.

League of Legends: Sorakanmyworld
    FFXIV: Tchel Fay
    Nintendo ID: Tortalius
    Steam: Tortalius
    Stream: twitch.tv/tortalius
  • Options
    SpectrumSpectrum Archer of Inferno Chaldea Rec RoomRegistered User regular
  • Options
    SpectrumSpectrum Archer of Inferno Chaldea Rec RoomRegistered User regular
    Weldon, Regi, and Parth sitting down for a good talk

https://www.facebook.com/HTCEsports/videos/1949244395309327/

XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    Ok, I haven't played in months, but now that I'm done with school for the summer, I'll play some matches. Karma still OP?
    Yeah, Karma still OP. More so now that redemption is a thing. Who thought another "IT'S GO-TIME" button on the most "IT'S GO-TIME" support was a good idea?

Oh also, that's apparently only an A+ performance.

I guess some things never change.

Khavall on
  • Options
    credeikicredeiki Registered User regular
    edited May 2017
    Two recent games in which I am carrying hard, my team is 10k gold ahead, and we totally fail to close

http://matchhistory.na.leagueoflegends.com/en/#match-details/NA1/2509770028/203490857?tab=overview

(ok this one is totally my bad/hubris not buying zhonays earlier and dying in a fight or two at the end)

http://matchhistory.na.leagueoflegends.com/en/#match-details/NA1/2512186074/203490857?tab=overview

(this one I survived basically all fights but despite pinging and typing 'waitforme waitforme' could not get my team to stop engaging when I was half a screen away. Lesson: I need to group more promptly. Can't take a few extra seconds to get blue buff because apparently that means team will charge in 4v5 without their massively fed midlaner. Could have easily won a fight if they 1. waited for me to join them 2. waited for me to cast Q+R on someone. Instead xin zhao just spent the last several fights running straight in well ahead of the team, getting taunted by rammus, insta-dying, and spamming surrender. I was so good at peeling Rammus, too, since he couldn't dodge my Q. But xin really wanted to die.)
    (well ok, also in this game I didn't roam botlane early enough, and I definitely could have.)

This is obviously my fault for being unable to convert; if I'm the fed person, I should be winning the game. Need to be smarter about macro play. Mostly, grouping really tightly with my idiot team, even if it means getting less vision or mis-managing waves, because they cannot figure out that they shouldn't fight without me.

credeiki on
    Steam, LoL: credeiki
  • Options
  • Options
    SproutSprout Registered User regular
    Not to be that guy, but any "runes will be free in six months" announcement needs to be accompanied with "and they're also free right now".

• Options
    IvelliusIvellius Registered User regular
    Not sure I like the idea of keys being attached to honor; we'll see the implementation. I'm also not sure I actually like the proposed rune system, but I'm one of the apparently few people who thinks the current one is pretty good. (No, it's not perfect.)

Me elsewhere:
    Steam, various fora: Ivellius
    League of Legends: Doctor Ivellius
    Twitch, probably another place or two I forget: LPIvellius
  • Options
    MegamaniacoMegamaniaco Madrid, Spain (again!)Registered User regular
    Steam ID: Megamaniaco // LoL summoner: Corcorigan (NA), Megamaniaco (EUW) // Hearthstone: Megamaniaco.2120

Please don't go. The drones need you. They look up to you.
  • Options

"when we do implement voice, we want to do so in a way that makes sense"

NOOOOOO

NO
    NO
    NO
    NO
    NO

do they not get what a hostile environment this creates for anyone who shows up to the rift with a female voice

gah

• Options
    I want to say it's probably going to be opt-in. I think Dota has voice, but it's opt-in by default.

• Options
    I want to say it's probably going to be opt-in. I think Dota has voice, but it's opt-in by default.

Yeah but is playing on voice going to give a competitive advantage? Because it can be opt-in and still expected culturally or beneficial in terms of win rate, and then we have the same problem.

I mean also I hate listening to people talk while I play; it's distracting and annoying. Made me quit overwatch.

• Options
    JookieJookie Registered User regular
    I finally watched that video.

Honor is done before post game which means flame as hard as you can in the post game.

butts
  • Options
    Dac VinDac Vin S-s-screw you! I only listen to DOUBLE MUSIC! Registered User regular

You know, I always found it interesting how the general attitude about voice chat is so different in both games. On one hand, you have League of Legends, who never had voice chat, whose developers said they wouldn't add voice chat before changing their minds recently, and the player base absolutely despise the idea. For a lot of reasons, going from "kid screaming" to "think about the women". Every time voice chat comes up, you have apprehensive comments coming forward.

Meanwhile in DOTA, where voice chat is always on and it's up to you to mute and report harassers, a pro player literally went "if you're above 6k and can't afford a microphone send me your address and I will buy you one". And he did. Down there, voice chat is expected of a serious competitive video game, and that's even with a very robust chat wheel and alt-click system (in DOTA you can alt-click anything on the screen and you'll get a message in return).

Maybe it's just me coming from the latter's philosophy, but I wouldn't be afraid. Riot isn't the same arrogant company of years before, and if they're moving forward with their voice chat, it means they both think the pros outweigh the cons and the most egregious cons (once again, "think about the women") can be mitigated by I assume will be employees working overtime listening to voice logs.

• Options
    SproutSprout Registered User regular
    In my experience, barely anyone uses the voice chat in Dota and the ones who do are mostly alright. If someone gets abusive, it's super easy to just mute them, report them, and move on.

• Options
    Demonblade Yasuo and Angelblade Riven revealed. The leak remains accurate. Omegasquad Twitch and rework Eve/Urgot soon.

• Options
    edited May 2017
    Dac Vin wrote: »

You know, I always found it interesting how the general attitude about voice chat is so different in both games. On one hand, you have League of Legends, who never had voice chat, whose developers said they wouldn't add voice chat before changing their minds recently, and the player base absolutely despise the idea. For a lot of reasons, going from "kid screaming" to "think about the women". Every time voice chat comes up, you have apprehensive comments coming forward.

Meanwhile in DOTA, where voice chat is always on and it's up to you to mute and report harassers, a pro player literally went "if you're above 6k and can't afford a microphone send me your address and I will buy you one". And he did. Down there, voice chat is expected of a serious competitive video game, and that's even with a very robust chat wheel and alt-click system (in DOTA you can alt-click anything on the screen and you'll get a message in return).

Maybe it's just me coming from the latter's philosophy, but I wouldn't be afraid. Riot isn't the same arrogant company of years before, and if they're moving forward with their voice chat, it means they both think the pros outweigh the cons and the most egregious cons (once again, "think about the women") can be mitigated by I assume will be employees working overtime listening to voice logs.

"Think about the women" jfc, it's not a theoretical argument to be put in quotes like that, it's my *actual experience* as a player over many years.

Every time I go into voice chat for any game, whether it's joining a rando's curse voice or skype call in league or joining team chat in overwatch, I encounter either hostility or a subtler but still disturbing alienation. Even if no one says anything ('lol grill adc we lose gg'), there's still a pause that very clearly indicates a mentalilty of '...oh. We're playing with...a girl.' which ends up feeling more or less hostile depending on whether I'm playing support or not. I find it very uncomfortable and displeasing. I don't want to put my team on tilt just from my voice, nor do I want to have my shotcalling etc. be considered less valid. It's fine that you personally do not mind voice chat, but you should understand that other people have a radically different experience here and it feels terrible to get treated differently just because of your voice.

Unrelatedly to the above, I always play worse while on voice, because I think the additional need to process and generate audio info just overloads my brain and I lose map awareness. I'd hope this could be compensated for by useful voice chat telling me, for example, where the jungler is, but in my experience that hasn't been the case. Plus, although it's a team game, it's generally a pleasant solitary and intense experience, and I don't want other people's voices intruding on it.

...that said, depending on how long they take to implement voice chat, and depending on how long I take to implement various changes to my life, it might very well not be my problem since I'll have a passably male voice by then :P However, any woman I've ever talked to who has played competitive games with voice chat has encountered this problem and feels negatively about it, so I would continue to advocate against it.

credeiki on
  • Options
    lazegamerlazegamer The magnanimous cyberspaceRegistered User regular
    I'm glad they're finally making voice built-in. Discord has made it a lot easier to talk to randoms in league with their public invite/permissions setup, but it's still a burden that doesn't need to be in the way.

I would download a car.
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    Buff Eve

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    KoregKoreg Registered User regular
    Buff Urgot.

Also, despite wrecking as Warwick, I cannot seem to close a game out. I lost two yesterday, one we deserved to lose, the other my team just would focus on the Sejuani, and ignore the ADC/Mid who would use all their abilities at me, and then run away while my team still shot at Sej.

If, if Reagan played disco He'd shoot it to shit You can't disco in Jackboots
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    Oh, right, Janna's also a thing.

I don't even know why I own other champions when I own Karma and Janna.

EDIT: I guess Taric for the pink fluffy boots but other than that...

EDIT2: I should take Taric out for a spin with my return to league as well and see how I feel about dem fuzzbootz

Khavall on
  • Options
    IvelliusIvellius Registered User regular
    edited June 2017
    credeiki wrote: »
    However, any woman I've ever talked to who has played competitive games with voice chat has encountered this problem and feels negatively about it, so I would continue to advocate against it.

I could pull the study, but an experiment was done that showed that players perceived as female through voice programs (and yes, that's a necessarily specific way to phrase it) get a lot more hostile treatment, even if their gameplay performance is the same. I want to say this was done in Halo or some other Xbox shooter. I don't remember it off the top of my head, but I know I have it saved somewhere. Edit: Yeah, I dug through stuff to pull the cite: "Communication in Multiplayer Gaming: Examining Player Responses to Gender Cues" by Jeffrey H. Kuznekoff and Lindsey M. Rose in New Media & Society in 2012. Study was done with Halo 3. They had prerecorded clips for male v. female voices.

From the abstract: "The authors conducted an observational study with an experimental design to play in and record multiplayer matches (N = 245) of a video game. The researchers played against 1,660 unique gamers and broadcasted pre-recorded audio clips of either a man or a woman speaking. Gamers’ reactions were digitally recorded, capturing what was said and heard during the game. Independent coders were used to conduct a quantitative content analysis of game data. Findings indicate that, on average, the female voice received three times as many negative comments as the male voice or no voice. In addition, the female voice received more queries and more messages from other gamers than the male voice or no voice."

Two addendums of my own, though: First, I'm not sure the competitive concerns are that big a deal. In theory, things like chat and pings give a competitive advantage, or duo queuing in ranked, or having full teams for flex queue. In practice, there are so many variables that I'm not sure this makes that much a difference. Player expectations do effect on people, but even today there's a thread on the Summoner School subreddit saying muting everyone helped that player climb to Diamond. Last season I mostly solo Supported myself to Platinum without too many difficulties, and this season in flex queue I've seen almost no difference in games (from an admittedly small sample size) compared to the solo / duo queue.

Second, it's not a good or fair thing to have to experience, but I wonder if there's any way to really change this treatment other than including women more commonly and making it less of a "thing," if that makes sense. (Yes, that's giving the subject short shrift.)
    Buff Eve

I actually like Evelynn right now and need to spam games for mastery on her before the rework (at 4 right now). I have two shards that need using.

It helps that the most efficient start (chickens) is also pretty easy for her to do.

Ivellius on
    Me elsewhere:
    Steam, various fora: Ivellius
    League of Legends: Doctor Ivellius
    Twitch, probably another place or two I forget: LPIvellius
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    http://www.lolesports.com/en_US/articles/evolution-of-the-na-lcs

Here we go.

Also holy fucking shit this is full on.

Hiryu02 on
  • Options
    Ivellius wrote: »
    credeiki wrote: »
    However, any woman I've ever talked to who has played competitive games with voice chat has encountered this problem and feels negatively about it, so I would continue to advocate against it.

I could pull the study, but an experiment was done that showed that players perceived as female through voice programs (and yes, that's a necessarily specific way to phrase it) get a lot more hostile treatment, even if their gameplay performance is the same. I want to say this was done in Halo or some other Xbox shooter. I don't remember it off the top of my head, but I know I have it saved somewhere. Edit: Yeah, I dug through stuff to pull the cite: "Communication in Multiplayer Gaming: Examining Player Responses to Gender Cues" by Jeffrey H. Kuznekoff and Lindsey M. Rose in New Media & Society in 2012. Study was done with Halo 3. They had prerecorded clips for male v. female voices.

From the abstract: "The authors conducted an observational study with an experimental design to play in and record multiplayer matches (N = 245) of a video game. The researchers played against 1,660 unique gamers and broadcasted pre-recorded audio clips of either a man or a woman speaking. Gamers’ reactions were digitally recorded, capturing what was said and heard during the game. Independent coders were used to conduct a quantitative content analysis of game data. Findings indicate that, on average, the female voice received three times as many negative comments as the male voice or no voice. In addition, the female voice received more queries and more messages from other gamers than the male voice or no voice."

Two addendums of my own, though: First, I'm not sure the competitive concerns are that big a deal. In theory, things like chat and pings give a competitive advantage, or duo queuing in ranked, or having full teams for flex queue. In practice, there are so many variables that I'm not sure this makes that much a difference. Player expectations do effect on people, but even today there's a thread on the Summoner School subreddit saying muting everyone helped that player climb to Diamond. Last season I mostly solo Supported myself to Platinum without too many difficulties, and this season in flex queue I've seen almost no difference in games (from an admittedly small sample size) compared to the solo / duo queue.

Second, it's not a good or fair thing to have to experience, but I wonder if there's any way to really change this treatment other than including women more commonly and making it less of a "thing," if that makes sense. (Yes, that's giving the subject short shrift.)
    Buff Eve

I actually like Evelynn right now and need to spam games for mastery on her before the rework (at 4 right now). I have two shards that need using.

It helps that the most efficient start (chickens) is also pretty easy for her to do.

Yeah, I don't know if there will be competitive advantage or not. I also (until like last month where I mysteriously became a midlane main and Lux one trick, what is even up with that) have played almost exclusively botlane as a solo player in both flex and soloq ranked, and I never really feel any disadvantage from going up against a duo botlane. And I play worse with a duo bot partner on voice almost always. Again, there are definitely confounding variables, like the duo queue might be getting an advantage from being on voice, but is overall worse (because of the mmr adjustment for duos/because they are distracted by irrelevant friend chatter (which wouldn't happen to randos on voice, just to premade duos)/because one of them is playing a role they don't normally play in order to play with a friend/because they are uneven mmr and one of them is feeding).

Thanks for finding that study; I read it in the past and then forgot about it, and as such only have anecdotal evidence to work with. I just really dislike playing on voice with strangers, and a lot of it is because of the reaction they often have to me because of my female voice, so it's just...disconcerting to hear that I might have to contend with that (possibly by choosing to always opt-out, maybe by choosing to mute selectively after the first annoying comment (still means I have to be distracted by hearing misogynistic shit and then waste brain cycles on deciding to mute which should instead be spent on figuring out when it's legit to take dragon etc)).

• Options
    So uh, the team comp in this 2nd game of H2K vs SPY is whew boy. I missed the first game though.

• Options
    PenumbraPenumbra Registered User regular
    Welcome back LCS's. I've missed you.

Switch Friend Code: 6359-7575-9391
  • Options
    CesareBCesareB Registered User regular

Here we go.

I like the cashflow and player representation changes but I'm going to miss relegation/promotion. It honestly baffles me. I get that the north american sports market isn't used to the idea but the entire rest of the world understands it just fine. We're not dumb; we'll get used to it.

• Options
    PenumbraPenumbra Registered User regular
    CesareB wrote: »

Here we go.

I like the cashflow and player representation changes but I'm going to miss relegation/promotion. It honestly baffles me. I get that the north american sports market isn't used to the idea but the entire rest of the world understands it just fine. We're not dumb; we'll get used to it.

I think it has more to do with their refocusing on league development. If there's a chance the Newbie Upstart Brigrade gets relegated their first split after making it out it the challenger series, I would be hard pressed to sponsor them (or become a fan).

Switch Friend Code: 6359-7575-9391
  • Options

Here we go.

I'll miss it too, but I get why it's gone. From the little I know of football, tier 2 teams still have a following, still get sponsors and still sells seats to stay afloat, whereas getting relegated in the LCS is pretty much a death sentence for the organisation. Besides:
    We are also implementing a policy in which teams can lose their right to compete in the league if they finish in 9th or 10th place 5 times over an 8-split span.

Keyword here is "can", but it looks like Riot anticipated a long term situation where a team buys a spot and just fields mediocrity for the money.

• Options
    CesareBCesareB Registered User regular
    Dac Vin wrote: »

Here we go.

I'll miss it too, but I get why it's gone. From the little I know of football, tier 2 teams still have a following, still get sponsors and still sells seats to stay afloat, whereas getting relegated in the LCS is pretty much a death sentence for the organisation. Besides:
    We are also implementing a policy in which teams can lose their right to compete in the league if they finish in 9th or 10th place 5 times over an 8-split span.

Keyword here is "can", but it looks like Riot anticipated a long term situation where a team buys a spot and just fields mediocrity for the money.

The thing is if very few people are watching/caring about Challenger now, imagine how few will watch/care about Academy tier, where literally nothing matters or is on the line at all. At the moment there's at least a market for the Promotion/Relegation tournament, which then becomes an opportunity for challenger teams and players to make an impact at the pro level/gain fans/earn sponsorships.