As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Winter Holiday Countdown to Extravagant Jubilation

ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday ArmadilloI'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
edited December 2016 in Social Entropy++
Happy Holidays!

As we're now officially in December we can properly anticipate & participate in the annual celebration of our favorite winter-time holidays!

Do you celebrate the titan of all winter holidays, Christmas? I hear there is a war on it! They keep saying it, I can't see it, but sure!?!?
635848911517481831-1384729735_xmasfamilycover.jpg

Maybe you favor the Jewish faith and partake in Hanukkah. It takes place over eight days and involves a candle.
WhiteHouseHanukkah2010.jpg

Or perhaps you're funky fresh and celebrate Kwanzaa, which I honestly know nothing about...
kwanzaa.png

Either way I, Zonugal, friend to all, will countdown the days to December 25th with what I shall decree as the best winter holiday films as well as the best holiday foods to go along with that.

If you disagree, I hate you.

Dec 1st: Black Christmas (2006) and Terry's Chocolate Oranges
Dec 2nd: The Hebrew Hammer and the McRib
Dec 3rd: A Very Sunny Christmas and the Yule Log
Dec 4th: Home Alone 2 and White Chocolate Puppy Chow
Dec 5th: Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer and Pecan Pie
Dec 6th: Eyes Wide Shut and Potato Latke
Dec 7th: Krampus and Candy Canes
Dec 8th: Santa Claus Conquers the Martians and Fruitcake
Dec 9th: ???
Dec 10th: ???
Dec 11th: ???
Dec 12th: ???
Dec 13th: ???
Dec 14th: ???
Dec 15th: ???
Dec 16th: ???
Dec 17th: ???
Dec 18th: ???
Dec 19th: ???
Dec 20th: ???
Dec 21st: ???
Dec 22nd: ???
Dec 23rd: ???
Dec 24th: ???
Dec 25th: ???

The weather is cold, the food is warm, the drinks are stiff and we're all hopefully better off with everyone showing a bit more kindness in these darker days.

I wish you a the best holidays.

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
Zonugal on

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    This is the worst thread ever.

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    December 1st

Black Christmas (2006)
    Black-Christmas-1-716x1060.jpg
    Black Christmas (abbreviated as Black X-Mas) is a 2006 slasher film written and directed by Glen Morgan and starring Katie Cassidy, Michelle Trachtenberg, Mary Elizabeth Winstead, Oliver Hudson, Lacey Chabert, Kristen Cloke, and Andrea Martin. The film takes place several days before Christmas, and tells the story of a group of sorority sisters who are stalked and murdered by the house's former inhabitants during a winter storm. It is a loose remake of the 1974 film of the same name. The film was produced by Morgan and James Wong through their production company Hard Eight Pictures, along with 2929 Productions and Dimension Films, while Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer distributed the film.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eN47xUKVxSc

AND

Terry's Chocolate Orange

Chocolate-Orange.jpg

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    I'm very glad I got that post in there.

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    Just...

God dammit Raijin...

• Options
    Dex DynamoDex Dynamo Registered User regular
    edited December 2016
    I really love Christmas. Not in a religious way, as i am not a religious man, but as a cultural institution. I love The Holidays, I guess you'd say. I love the act of bringing light and joy and cheer into what is literally the darkest point in the year.

To quote one of the great scholars of our time,
    "You know what the really nice thing about Christmas is? It's the one time of year when you're part of EVERYONE'S family. Everyone's smiling at you, holding out a hand to shake yours, making you feel like you belong... WHEREVER YOU ARE. I guess that's what Christmas is really all about."

That's the Christmas that I like. Laughter, and warmth, and joy, and music and movies and TV that is hokey but cheerful, and just showing love to the people in my life. Doing things to make the world a little brighter, even if only for a little while.

Dex Dynamo on
  • Options
    December 2nd!

The Hebrew Hammer
    Hebrew-Hammer-2003.jpg
    The Hebrew Hammer is a 2003 American comedy film written and directed by Jonathan Kesselman. It stars Adam Goldberg, Judy Greer, Andy Dick, Mario Van Peebles, and Peter Coyote. The plot concerns a Jewish crime fighter known as the Hebrew Hammer who must save Hanukkah from the evil son of Santa Claus who wants to destroy Hanukkah and make everyone celebrate Christmas.

The film parodies blaxploitation films, and features Melvin Van Peebles in a cameo as "Sweetback".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4a6WAzstGmA

AND

The McRib!

mcrib.jpg

• Options
    Fuck, I want a McRib.

Jimmy Dean, you've redeemed this thread.

• Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    How dare you suggest I watch something featuring Andy Dick that's not Newsradio.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    ThetherooThetheroo Registered User regular
    I swear to God The Snowman better be one of these movies.

• Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    I watched Die Hard in a movie theater last night. It is now officially Christmas time.

Just as the ball dropping in Times Square signifies the start of a new year, so does the dropping of the Gruber from Nakatomi Tower signify the beginning of the Christmas season.

ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    December 3rd!

A Very Sunny Christmas
    a-very-sunny-christmas.jpg
    "A Very Sunny Christmas" is the thirteenth and last episode of the sixth season of It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia. It originally aired on FX in December 2010 (after Season 6 completed airing) but was first released on DVD & Blu-ray in November 2009. It is 43 minutes in length, twice the length of a typical episode.

Christmas is nearly here and the Paddy's gang has got the spirit. For the gang the holidays have always been a time of trickery, backstabbing, and disappointment. But this year they are determined to rediscover the joy of Christmas. Mac, Charlie, Dennis, Dee, and Frank embark on a holiday adventure filled with stolen toys, childhood videos, naked elves, and a bloody run-in with Santa Claus that is guaranteed to blast Christmas spirit all over!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CgSmTwXf73M

AND

The Yule Log
    f11fbfea9b409c8251002160800f1d1d.jpg

• Options
    ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    Gimme that Yule Log.

GIMME IT

• Options
    GustavGustav Friend of Goats Somewhere in the OzarksRegistered User regular
    edited December 2016
    Christ this is the worst Morgan Spurlock documentary.

Gustav on
    aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    Gustav wrote: »
    Christ this the worst Morgan Spurlock documentary.

What is.... Every movie he's ever made!

• Options
    Mr FuzzbuttMr Fuzzbutt Registered User regular
    it's summer here

please edit the original post to make it more inclusive of those of us in the southern hemisphere

broken image link
  • Options
    it's summer here

please edit the original post to make it more inclusive of those of us in the southern hemisphere

Want a participation trophy too ya lazy millenial!

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Zonugal wrote: »
    December 1st

Black Christmas (2006)
    Black-Christmas-1-716x1060.jpg
    Black Christmas (abbreviated as Black X-Mas) is a 2006 slasher film written and directed by Glen Morgan and starring Katie Cassidy, Michelle Trachtenberg, Mary Elizabeth Winstead, Oliver Hudson, Lacey Chabert, Kristen Cloke, and Andrea Martin. The film takes place several days before Christmas, and tells the story of a group of sorority sisters who are stalked and murdered by the house's former inhabitants during a winter storm. It is a loose remake of the 1974 film of the same name. The film was produced by Morgan and James Wong through their production company Hard Eight Pictures, along with 2929 Productions and Dimension Films, while Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer distributed the film.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eN47xUKVxSc

AND

Terry's Chocolate Orange

Chocolate-Orange.jpg

The remake?

You son of a bitch, the remake?

• Options
    it's summer here

No.
    Straightzi wrote: »
    The remake?

You son of a bitch, the remake?

I have zero regrets.

• Options
    it's summer here

Want a participation trophy too ya lazy millenial!

well i wasn't going to ask but since you brought it up

broken image link
  • Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    The original Black Christmas is an astoundingly good early slasher

Black X-Mas is trash

• Options
    Straightzi wrote: »
    The original Black Christmas is an astoundingly good early slasher

Black X-Mas is trash

I HAVE MADE MY DECISION

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    it's summer here

Live in the right hemisphere, you contrary bastard. 88 percent of us manage it.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    Jedoc wrote: »
    it's summer here

Live in the right hemisphere, you contrary bastard. 88 percent of us manage it.

trump and duterte both got voted in as presidents in the northern hemisphere

pretty sure southern is the right one

broken image link
  • Options
    ElaroElaro Apologetic Registered User regular
    Can we agree that the Australian Christmas should take place at the beginning of Australian winter, ie in June?

Because the purpose, say, the PURPOSE of the holidays is to cheer us up as the days get shorter, so obviously Southern Hemispherians should have their big holidays at different times of the year than Northern Hemispherians.

Like, I'm all for International Unity, but you gotta have regional variations, otherwise you're rationing water in Quebec, building alpine sky resorts in Saskatchewan and, well, having a week off during the longest days of the year in Australia!

I don't give a SHIT when Ittle Baby Jaysus was canonically born, if it's the longest day of the year, ya oughta be plantin crops, not feastin'! Save that for the harvest season, cripes! This is just another example of Northern Colonialism, thinking the dates for THEIR holidays oughta be the dates for EVERYBODY's holidays! I tell ya what.

Children's rights are human rights.
  • Options
    December 4th!

Home Alone 2: Lost in New York

Home_Alone_2.jpg
    Home Alone 2: Lost in New York (stylized as HOME ALONe2: Lost in New York) is a 1992 American Christmas comedy film written and produced by John Hughes and directed by Chris Columbus. It is the second film in the Home Alone series and the sequel to Home Alone. Macaulay Culkin reprises his role as Kevin McCallister, while Joe Pesci and Daniel Stern reprise their roles as the Wet Bandits, now known as the Sticky Bandits. Catherine O'Hara, John Heard, Tim Curry, and Brenda Fricker are also featured.

The film was shot in Winnetka, Illinois, O'Hare International Airport in Chicago, Evanston, Illinois, and New York City (which was star Culkin's hometown at the time). The exterior of Duncan's Toy Chest in New York City was filmed outside of the Rookery Building in downtown Chicago. The exterior of Haven Middle School in Evanston, Illinois is shown prior to the Christmas pageant. The Miami scenes were filmed in Los Angeles, including an exterior of Miami International Airport was at Los Angeles International Airport. The film became the second most financially successful film of 1992, earning over $173 million in revenue in the United States and $358 million worldwide against a budget of $20 million.

Home Alone 3 followed five years later in 1997, Home Alone 4 followed in 2002, and Home Alone: The Holiday Heist was released in 2012.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vIRoNlPZeqk

And

White Chocolate Puppy Chow

WhiteChocPB.jpg

• Options
    Jimmy Dean... Make me a sandwich.

• Options
    masterofmetroidmasterofmetroid Have you ever looked at a world and seen it as a kind of challenge?Registered User regular
    It's a shame we never got a third movie in the Kevin Mcallister canon that furthered his journey into heroic vigilantism

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    It's a shame we never got a third movie in the Kevin Mcallister canon that furthered his journey into heroic vigilantism

Nope. Home Alone 2 was a fantasy. Any number of the traps in the original movie could easily have proven fatal, and a couple are straight up unsurvivable. Kevin McCallister is a murderer who retreated into delusion because he couldn't cope with what he did. He didn't grow up to be a vigilante, he grew up to be the Jigsaw Killer.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    masterofmetroidmasterofmetroid Have you ever looked at a world and seen it as a kind of challenge?Registered User regular
    Look i know that's the era it came out in but i'm not looking for a 90's style superhero story here

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    white chocolate puppy chow?

you monster.

you horrible monster.

• Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    this thread taught me that a Home Alone 4, and a Home Alone 5 exist, and I don't know if I can ever forgive that, the world was happier without that knowledge.

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Home Alone 2 is the best Home Alone.

• Options
    December 5th!

Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer

51mQgJkDTML.jpg
    Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer is a 1964 Christmas stop motion animated television special produced by Rankin/Bass Productions and currently distributed by Universal Television. It first aired Sunday, December 6, 1964, on the NBC television network in the United States, and was sponsored by General Electric under the umbrella title of The General Electric Fantasy Hour. The special was based on the Johnny Marks song "Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer" which was itself based on the 1939 poem Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer written by Marks' brother-in-law, Robert L. May. Since 1972, the special has aired on CBS, with the network unveiling a high-definition, digitally remastered version of the program in 2005. As with A Charlie Brown Christmas and How the Grinch Stole Christmas, Rudolph no longer airs just once annually, but several times during the Christmas and holiday season on CBS. Unlike other specials that also air on several cable channels (including Freeform), Rudolph only airs on CBS. It has been telecast every year since 1964, making it the longest running Christmas TV special in history. 2014 marked the 50th anniversary of the television special and a series of postage stamps featuring Rudolph was issued by the United States Postal Service on November 6, 2014.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p0to9H8O2IY

AND

Pecan Pie

Pecan-Pie-17.jpg

• Options
    MugginsMuggins Registered User regular
    Pecan Pie is objectively the best pie

BdVvFJu.jpg
    hey satan...: thinkgeek amazon My post |
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    chocolate cream pie is best, fight me

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    The chocolate bourbon pecan pie I made for my holiday party was... Almost a bridge too far in terms of richness.

Also, I tried to watch Gremlins last night, having not seen it in decades, and like... Guys it's not very enjoyable. I much prefer Gremlins 2.

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    pecan pie looks so good.

if only i werent allergic to pecans.

I'm trying to psych myself up to making latkes this year.

I hate latkes. but I feel that I should do something. And latkes are easier than sufganiyot (donuts).

• Options
    Mx. QuillMx. Quill I now prefer "Myr. Quill", actually... {They/Them}Registered User regular
    edited December 2016
    Zonugal wrote: »
    December 4th!

Home Alone 2: Lost in New York

SNIP

Home Alone 3 followed five years later in 1997, Home Alone 4 followed in 2002, and Home Alone: The Holiday Heist was released in 2012.

Whoa, back the fuck up.

There's FIVE Home Alone films? What the hell.

Mx. Quill on
  • Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    Pumpkin Pie with Vanilla Icecream is the greatest pie known to mankind and I will hear no dissent from this objectively true opinion.

I'm wondering where the unforgettable Christmas Classic, Santa vs The Snowman is going to fit on your list and what food item you will recommend with it.

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Options
    FB_IMG_1480991318282_zps1vszcbey.jpg