Options

[DCEU] launched a streaming service which has Young Justice S3

• Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    Ah yes, aquaman and his trusty quindent, who could forget

Pentadent

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    Goumindong wrote: »
    Ah yes, aquaman and his trusty quindent, who could forget

Pentadent

Atlantis' finest toothpaste.

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    Raynaga wrote: »
    I kind of feel like once you've reached the point that you're complaining about the shape of Aquaman's trident, you've run out of nits to pick.

Also, saw Suicide Squad now that its on HBO. Was not film cancer.

It's not a serious complaint, what it is is another weird choice by Snyder to be Edgy.

That's not a glowing endorsement. This isn't the 90's, people expect more from the genre now.

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Or Snyder's choice to follow the comics. I recall a distinct lack of concern over the years regarding Aquaman's trident.

• Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    Quid wrote: »
    Or Snyder's choice to follow the comics. I recall a distinct lack of concern over the years regarding Aquaman's trident.
    It's Snyder's choice to follow those comics. As said, there have been tons of variations over the years, and I'll bet there were a lot of designs sketched out for this. This is the one he chose.
    And it's just an extra thing to pile on because there's next to no faith in it at this point. If Marvel showed something goofy there'd be mockery, but it'd probably be fairly light because they've built up a tremendous amount of good faith over more than a dozen movies, and people trust them to know what they're doing. DC and Snyder, not so much.

You're right that this is just looking for things to criticise, but they've more than earned it by now.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options

It was a minor detail with less mainstream attention, even in comic circles. Zack's doing this in a big budget movie that's the first Justice League feature.

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited April 2017

It was a minor detail with less mainstream attention, even in comic circles. Zack's doing this in a big budget movie that's the first Justice League feature.

Correct. You've never cared before.

This is some serious nitpicking to a ridiculous degree.

Quid on
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    To be fair I'm seeing a lot of mockery of Aquaman's rake online from non-comic fans.

Some things just don't translate as well from comics to film.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    edited April 2017

Correct. You've never cared before.

This is some serious nitpicking to a ridiculous degree.

I never read those comics. When something is obscure people don't tend to form opinions about it. That's a whole different thing from not caring, if I did know back then I'd have thought it was silly as well.

edit: When something is done on a bigger platform people form more opinions about the subject because they know about it.

Harry Dresden on
  • Options
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    To be fair I'm seeing a lot of mockery of Aquaman's rake online from non-comic fans.

Some things just don't translate as well from comics to film.

You don't have to be a fan of original material to have an opinion about an idea, especially in the internet age. That's why cartoons, merch and tv shows/movies are important for companies about getting the brand known. Nobody reads the comics.

• Options
    GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    Do we seriously have someone nitpicking about people nitpicking about the number of tines on a fishing tool and thinking they're on the high horse?

• Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    High seahorse

• Options
    TexiKen wrote: »
    High seahorse

tenor.gif

• Options
    Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    Kind of surprised Snyder didn't go with the harpoon hand.

Probably saving that for JL2.

• Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular

You don't start with something like that. You show it in as much detail as your age rating will allow.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    MagicPrimeMagicPrime FiresideWizard Registered User regular
    klemming wrote: »

You don't start with something like that. You show it in as much detail as your age rating will allow.

And with as little lighting and saturation as you can get by with.

BNet • magicprime#1430 | PSN/Steam • MagicPrime | Origin • FireSideWizard
    Critical Failures - Havenhold CampaignAugust St. Cloud (Human Ranger)
  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    "This is where we see, for real, that Aquaman is HARDCORRRRE."
    *slips hand inside trenchcoat, masturbates furiously*

• Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    *slips hand that was just cut off of Aquaman inside trenchcoat, masturbates furiously*

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    *slips hand that was just cut off of Aquaman inside trenchcoat, masturbates furiously*
    Technically, that would be a hand job, wouldn't it?

• Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    This thread sure went places. Quickly.

• Options
    If we can't make crude jokes about Snyder's love of adolescent grimdark, we might as well just close the thread. Until he gets kicked off and/or they stop making movies, what else is there to say? :P

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Xeddicus wrote: »
    This thread sure went places. Quickly.

That happens to a lot of guys, I hear.

• Options
    RamiRami Registered User regular
    Wouldn't a 5 pointed stabby fork be worse than a trident anyway? Spreading the stab force over a largeer area is going to reduce the force and penetration ability

Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • Options
    KamarKamar Registered User regular
    Rami wrote: »
    Wouldn't a 5 pointed stabby fork be worse than a trident anyway? Spreading the stab force over a largeer area is going to reduce the force and penetration ability

If I had to guess, the second and third points of a trident would already pointless for stabbing for that reason. Probably there to prevent overpenetration that you might get with a simple spear or something like that, if there's any practical point to it at all.

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    The practical point is that it is useful for fishing.

• Options
    Couscous wrote: »
    The practical point is that it is useful for fishing.

and being a gladiator.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qb7OoPrI3SQ

• Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    I've always found it odd that Aquaman carried around a tool that surface dwellers use to kill the things he's supposed to protect.

It'd be like if Superman had a shark skull on him at all times.

We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    SchadenfreudeSchadenfreude Mean Mister Mustard Registered User regular
    It's the whole Poseidon thing innit.

Contemplate this on the Tree of Woe
  • Options
    Mego ThorMego Thor "I say thee...NAY!" Registered User regular
    It's a Poseident.

kyrcl.png
  • Options
    Sure. It's a callback to the idea that the JLA is essentially a pantheon of gods.

Makes no goddamn sense outside that context, though. I blame Alex Ross.

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    and connecting the two, I've heard the "joke" that if Jesus came back and saw the symbol of "his" religion - i.e., the means of his execution by torture - he'd never stop screaming.
    (and that's before we get into all the stuff people have done in his name.)

• Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    OptimusZed wrote: »
    Sure. It's a callback to the idea that the JLA is essentially a pantheon of gods.

It's not a bad context.

Except Snyder isn't really doing anything to forward that interpretation other than Superman has kind of a Jesus-thing going. But I guess that's what Diana's movie and JL will be for, maybe.

sig.gif
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    I'm ok with colloquially calling a spear with more than 3 prongs a "trident".

I mean you can point it out and say it's wrong, and you'd be technically correct. I technically wouldn't give a supreme shit either.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    If we can't make crude jokes about Snyder's love of adolescent grimdark, we might as well just close the thread. Until he gets kicked off and/or they stop making movies, what else is there to say? :P

john-cena-military-salute-wallpaper-2733.jpg

• Options
    OldSlackerOldSlacker Registered User regular
    edited April 2017
    Wasn't trident usually used when you wanted to keep whatever you just impaled away from you?
    At least that's the case with similarly shaped boar hunting spears.

OldSlacker on
  • Options
    Wasn't trident usually used when you wanted to keep whatever you just impaled away from you?
    At least that's the case with similarly shaped boar hunting spears.

They were used in a fishing context I believe because more points meant a better chance of stabbing fish, and made counteracting the light refraction of the water easier.

• Options
    KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular
    Tritoohardent

• Options

Grant Morrison made that work in his JLA run, and in theory it could be an excellent direction for a movie franchise. Just not with Zack Snyder at the helm.

• Options
    Sorce wrote: »

It's not a bad context.

Except Snyder isn't really doing anything to forward that interpretation other than Superman has kind of a Jesus-thing going. But I guess that's what Diana's movie and JL will be for, maybe.

Superman has always had a weird Jesus analog in the movies, the oddest interpretation has to be in Snyder's. It's like he wants him to be seen as Jesus, while acting like a Greek god.

• Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    So some people online have noticed something.

Wonder Woman comes out in a month, and it's getting very little promotion.

Looking back, I've seen it too. Fewer ads (on TV and elsewhere), fewer unique trailers--I've even noticed a lot less branded merch while grocery shopping (e.g. cereal boxes). Now I'm not one to complain, normally, about not getting fucking blipverts blasted into my head 24/7 for a movie (if only because I've often made my mind up by the time I've seen the first trailer to go see it or not and other advertising feels like, at best, a reminder of the opening date), but it presents a curious picture that the first solo woman superhero movie in like twelve years is getting less advertising, a month out, than another movie in the same canon is seven months out (Justice League already has six Youtube videos on its channel; Wonder Woman has only four). And to compare between brands, it's definitely getting less ads than GotG2 was a month ago.

So far, the only excuse I've seen from WW has been "It's Wonder Woman! She doesn't need much advertising!"

...So whither Superman and Batman, then?

Can't wait for Wonder Woman to turn out to be the best DCEU movie so far but for no one to go see it and WB to decide "eh no one likes solo female superhero films" as a result.

This discussion has been closed.