As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

This is the old Star Citizen thread

• Options
    ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    I mean the ability (or lack thereof) to just play solo at a casual pace. Go trade some goods, mine, smuggle, and fight in a way that is actually productive. My impression of Eve is that this is not possible without some offline grind and politics.

My impression of the internet is that chat wll always be awful; so I'm not going hold RSI to fixing that.

Ah, I think I get what you're saying. As somebody who doesn't like grind or in-game politics, I can sympathize and say that, after 230-some odd hours of EVE (as a solo player, mind you), I definitely do not want the PU to go down that path.

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    This week's ATV:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q0OXR8MPkUY

Last week's was all about the Banu, if you are interested:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4RLYch3lxVk

...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    edited May 2017
    "You ever get punched in the throat?"

Man, I hope this shit all happens so that we can find out what the hell prompts that line :lol:
    Erlkönig wrote: »
    I mean the ability (or lack thereof) to just play solo at a casual pace. Go trade some goods, mine, smuggle, and fight in a way that is actually productive. My impression of Eve is that this is not possible without some offline grind and politics.

My impression of the internet is that chat wll always be awful; so I'm not going hold RSI to fixing that.

Ah, I think I get what you're saying. As somebody who doesn't like grind or in-game politics, I can sympathize and say that, after 230-some odd hours of EVE (as a solo player, mind you), I definitely do not want the PU to go down that path.

Yeah, I spent six years living Eve as a second job and I loved my time there but I did have a solo alt for ISK making purposes and Eve just wasn't well built for that sort of playstyle. The heart of the game really is the player interaction.

These days I'm loving Elite where I can just log on, futz around for a bit, and not be bothered by anyone needing anything or wanting to talk alliances and shit. I expect the PU to be just a meatier version of that kind of experience.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    VoodooVVoodooV Registered User regular
    I still wonder how much big organizations will required to do certain things. We have been told in the past that there will be derelict capital ships out there that could presumably be salavaged and brought back online. Assuming that's still true, it will require a big group of people to do repairs and provide resources and fend off pirates

They also talked about organizations making their own Starbases or running manufacturing plants and controlling certain commodities.

On the extreme end, I know we've worried in the past about the large organizations dominating entire star systems.

Then again, if they are still going to allow us to run our own private servers, we could just spin up our own PA server and do our own thing there.

• Options
    FuselageFuselage Oosik Jumpship LoungeRegistered User regular
    VoodooV wrote: »
    Then again, if they are still going to allow us to run our own private servers, we could just spin up our own PA server and do our own thing there.

I...I didn't even think about that.

o4n72w5h9b5y.png
  • Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    I still wonder how much big organizations will required to do certain things. We have been told in the past that there will be derelict capital ships out there that could presumably be salavaged and brought back online. Assuming that's still true, it will require a big group of people to do repairs and provide resources and fend off pirates

They also talked about organizations making their own Starbases or running manufacturing plants and controlling certain commodities.

On the extreme end, I know we've worried in the past about the large organizations dominating entire star systems.

Starcadia Citizen?

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    Fuselage wrote: »

If this is still true anyway:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eA95r5b6rEM

• Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    Fuselage wrote: »

If this is still true anyway:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eA95r5b6rEM

That would be the thing I'd be bothered the most by if it gets cut. I really don't care much about the PU. My intent the whole time was to mostly play on my own private server, occasionally jumping into the PU with people when I'm feeling lonely.

• Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    Private servers have to exist unless they've cut modding or don't plan on letting mods be multiplayer. But both of those would be insane. I want private servers so I can play the inevitable Star Wars mod with people.

• Options
    Private servers have to exist unless they've cut modding or don't plan on letting mods be multiplayer. But both of those would be insane. I want private servers so I can play the inevitable Star Wars mod with people.

The only real hangup will be just how much you won't be able to do on a private server because of the things that CR referred to that require a server farm.

• Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    All I want is to fly a space ship and shoot another space ship. Maybe also crew a space ship.

• Options
    All I want is to fly a space ship and shoot another space ship. Maybe also crew a space ship.

Maybe we just have Planet PA if that's all a single server can support.

o4n72w5h9b5y.png
  • Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    My guess would be a limit of 64 or 128 players at a time and probably a pretty simplified version of the economy on private servers which, eh, I'd be ok with that.

• Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    Oh, nice. The newest Around The Verse is about the changes they're making to the interaction system in the game. You know, things like a cursor, highlighting what you're actually focused on, and descriptions other than Use. Also stuff like terminal screens or picking things up. I'm not sure how much is already in the game, but it doesn't sound like much. The WIP looks much better.

• Options
    RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
    Newest ship announced; it's a stealth bomber called the Eclipse, made by Aegis!
    The Aegis Eclipse is available for purchase at a Concept Sale price of $275 and War Bond price of $250.

Oh, well, eh, nevermind then :rotate:

It's got 3 size 9 missile (torpedo?) mounts, but otherwise only 2 fixed size 2 mounts, so it's definitely not meant for fighting. Looks like a cap ship buster.

• Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited May 2017
    It is pretty sexy though,
    Mpyq4E0.jpg
    Those wing tips fold down during flight.

Kfuiow6.jpg

Axen on
    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    Axen wrote: »
    Mpyq4E0.jpg

Kfuiow6.jpg

Apparently a whole pile of people agree. Based on the war bond numbers, they've sold at least 3300 of the ships...which amounts to $825,000

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    Mpyq4E0.jpg

Kfuiow6.jpg

I feel like pretty sexy is the Aegis motto

• Options
    ironzergironzerg Registered User regular
    edited May 2017
    Concept art is always super sexy. RIP concept Vanguard. o7

ironzerg on
  • Options
    DerrickDerrick Registered User regular
    Mpyq4E0.jpg

Kfuiow6.jpg

Apparently a whole pile of people agree. Based on the war bond numbers, they've sold at least 3300 of the ships...which amounts to $825,000

$250 for a single asset in a video game?

That kinda skeeves me out, to be honest. It looks great though.

Steam and CFN: Enexemander
  • Options
    NyysjanNyysjan FinlandRegistered User regular
    Derrick wrote: »
    Mpyq4E0.jpg

Kfuiow6.jpg

You can get all you need for ~50€, and earn ships in game.
    Ship sales are just to make money for development (and the feed the ravenous beast that is SC community).

• Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    Mpyq4E0.jpg

Kfuiow6.jpg

Hah! Hahahaha! Then you're not going to want to click the spoiler.
    List 'o ships even more expensive!

(for the record about 50-60 ships in the $20-$250 range)

Retaliator Bomber $275
    Constellation Aquila $275
    Vanguard Harbinger $280
    Caterpillar $295
    Caterpillar Pirate Edition $295
    Scythe $300
    Starfarer $300
    Orion $325
    Starfarer Gemini $340
    Carrack $350
    Constellation Phoenix $350
    Crucible $350
    Endeavo $350
    Glaive $350
    Hull D $350
    Merchantman $300
    Reclaimer $350
    Genesis $400
    Prowler $425
    Hull E $550
    Polaris $750
    890 Jump $890
    Idris-M $1000
    Idris-P $1500
    Javelin $3000 (This one sold out instantly, broke storefront. People who weren't able to buy it complained enough that they had a second running that also sold out instantly and broke storefront.)

I spent $50 which nets me the game, early access nonsense, and a sweet sweet Avenger.

Though like @Nyysjan said selling ships is how they fund the game and you totally do not have to spend actual money to get them. To their credits the Devs often reiterate to the fans that you can totally buy these ships in game. As evidence shows it does not stop some fans.

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    ZeroczZerocz Space Cowboy In SpaceRegistered User regular

Though like @Nyysjan said selling ships is how they fund the game and you totally do not have to spend actual money to get them. To their credits the Devs often reiterate to the fans that you can totally buy these ships in game.

Is there currently a way to buy them, in the persistent universe?

• Options
    RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
    edited May 2017
    Nah, though they'll have a Manufacturer's Weekend or some such, or a free fly weekend, so you can try ships you don't own.

There's also a system where you earn rental credits and can rent ships? I think that's an alpha phase only thing.

Rius on
  • Options
    Zerocz wrote: »

Though like @Nyysjan said selling ships is how they fund the game and you totally do not have to spend actual money to get them. To their credits the Devs often reiterate to the fans that you can totally buy these ships in game.

Is there currently a way to buy them, in the persistent universe?

No.
    Because game is not finished yet, we're pre alpha.
    The singleplayer part might come out this year, but i would not bet money on it, sometime next year more likely, multiplayer couple years atleast.

There are some ships, and a pretty impressive flight and fps portions playable to test the game though.

• Options
    Mpyq4E0.jpg

Kfuiow6.jpg

Hah! Hahahaha! Then you're not going to want to click the spoiler.
    List 'o ships even more expensive!

(for the record about 50-60 ships in the $20-$250 range)

Retaliator Bomber $275
    Constellation Aquila $275
    Vanguard Harbinger $280
    Caterpillar $295
    Caterpillar Pirate Edition $295
    Scythe $300
    Starfarer $300
    Orion $325
    Starfarer Gemini $340
    Carrack $350
    Constellation Phoenix $350
    Crucible $350
    Endeavo $350
    Glaive $350
    Hull D $350
    Merchantman $300
    Reclaimer $350
    Genesis $400
    Prowler $425
    Hull E $550
    Polaris $750
    890 Jump $890
    Idris-M $1000
    Idris-P $1500
    Javelin $3000 (This one sold out instantly, broke storefront. People who weren't able to buy it complained enough that they had a second running that also sold out instantly and broke storefront.)

I spent $50 which nets me the game, early access nonsense, and a sweet sweet Avenger.

Though like @Nyysjan said selling ships is how they fund the game and you totally do not have to spend actual money to get them. To their credits the Devs often reiterate to the fans that you can totally buy these ships in game. As evidence shows it does not stop some fans.

And for bonus points compare that list to the spreadsheet in the OP

• Options
    Man, I haven't looked at that spreadsheet in ages. I should proooobably update it some day.

Some day.

o4n72w5h9b5y.png
  • Options
    I've spent more on this game than i have on my car, and the game isn't even out yet.
    Though in my defense, it's not a very good car.

• Options
    Nyysjan wrote: »
    I've spent more on this game than i have on my car, and the game isn't even out yet.
    Though in my defense, it's not a very good car.

Hey man, the Satsuma is as good as you make it.

• Options
    KelorKelor Registered User regular
    So I kickstarted this years ago and only got a computer good enough to run it recently, what is the process to getting my code from them? I went through all my emails and I receive updates but never had a code emailed to me.

• Options
    Kelor wrote: »
    So I kickstarted this years ago and only got a computer good enough to run it recently, what is the process to getting my code from them? I went through all my emails and I receive updates but never had a code emailed to me.

What do you mean by code?

• Options

What do you mean by code?

I backed for the Scout level when it was being kickstarted, I have made an account but I'm trying to find out how I link that to my kickstarter so that I can play what is currently available.

• Options
    Are you able to log in to the RSI website?

• Options

I can log in, I've made an account, but all I can find are options to buy packages, not a place where I can link anything.

It's all good, I sent Customer Support a question about it.

• Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    There are no codes. If you are a backer you just download it from the website.

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/download

...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options

I can log in, I've made an account, but all I can find are options to buy packages, not a place where I can link anything.

It's all good, I sent Customer Support a question about it.

Yeah then you should just be able to download the client that Bri linked

• Options

Does that also pertain to people who backed it via KS? Wouldn't those backers need to link their KS purchase with their RSI account?

• Options

Does that also pertain to people who backed it via KS? Wouldn't those backers need to link their KS purchase with their RSI account?

As someone who backed the Kickstarter... I think yes?

This was something that people were supposed to do like two years ago though. iirc not long after the Kickstarter was over and the RSI site went live?

• Options

As someone who backed the Kickstarter... I think yes?

This was something that people were supposed to do like two years ago though. iirc not long after the Kickstarter was over and the RSI site went live?

From the sounds of it, Kelor didn't link his accounts back then and can't find the e-mail detailing how to do that. Hopefully (I'm pretty sure they will) RSI will sort things out.

This discussion has been closed.