As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

This is the old Star Citizen thread

• Options
    DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    @SCREECH OF THE FARG How about watching it live streamed? We could show you some of the sillier animation goofs.

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    DirtmuncherDirtmuncher Registered User regular
    Does anybody know if and when raytracing will be enabled in SC?
    I am getting a brand spanking new GPU that is supposedly able to do raytracing at 1440p and it looks like the new graphics gimmick.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    ship jpgs

Hey farg, did you know that there are over a hundred ships that are currently flyable in-game? You should fire the game up and come play with us sometime, it's a lot of fun. What ships do you have, anyway? If you want to try one of them out you can always borrow one in-game. I tried the Herald for the first time the other night and although it's pretty quick the weird maneuverability didn't jive for me. It's a shame though, because I really loved the interior and it looked like it would have been a really fun solo ship to play in.

I do not own any, I refunded ages ago. I think the game is bad and will amount to a cautionary tale. I find its ongoing development fascinating and occasionally absurd. I do not want to play the game barring a grand and terrible happening

So you're basically in this thread to troll?

• Options
    ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    ship jpgs

Hey farg, did you know that there are over a hundred ships that are currently flyable in-game? You should fire the game up and come play with us sometime, it's a lot of fun. What ships do you have, anyway? If you want to try one of them out you can always borrow one in-game. I tried the Herald for the first time the other night and although it's pretty quick the weird maneuverability didn't jive for me. It's a shame though, because I really loved the interior and it looked like it would have been a really fun solo ship to play in.

I do not own any, I refunded ages ago. I think the game is bad and will amount to a cautionary tale. I find its ongoing development fascinating and occasionally absurd. I do not want to play the game barring a grand and terrible happening

Farg's posted the exact same response two other times in the past when folks mention free fly events or recommending actually playing the game. I'm pretty sure, at this point, Farg has the words pre-typed up and ready to be copy/pasted into the thread whenever anybody brings up Farg actually tries the game.
    DaMoonRulz wrote: »
    Erlkönig wrote: »
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    Sure. And that's the thing. Either they are not very valuable, which undercuts multiple hundred dollar investments and is bad for early adopters, or the opposite, they're valuable and imbalance against new players in a big way.

Which is why, in big letters, they tell you that the price you're paying is specifically to fund the game development...that all ships that we're tossing $$$($) at are (or, at least, will be) purchasable in-game and the only amount you need to pay for is the $45 starter package.

Essentially, they've been saying "This money you give us is a donation...here's a cool ship that may or may not be worth anything to you at all when the game gets going to say 'thank you'!"

Are you telling me that the hand crank emergency radio that I get from pledging to my local PBS station ISN'T worth the $120 I have to spend to get it?

I know! It's crazy, right?!

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    SCREECH OF THE FARGSCREECH OF THE FARG #1 PARROTHEAD margaritavilleRegistered User regular
    ship jpgs

No, disliking an ongoing mismanaged project is not trolling, even should you wish it to be. To pretend that this project is not rife with troubles, and very interesting to poke and prod at, is putting your head in the sand.

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
  • Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    Sure. And that's the thing. Either they are not very valuable, which undercuts multiple hundred dollar investments and is bad for early adopters, or the opposite, they're valuable and imbalance against new players in a big way.

Which is why, in big letters, they tell you that the price you're paying is specifically to fund the game development...that all ships that we're tossing $$$($) at are (or, at least, will be) purchasable in-game and the only amount you need to pay for is the $45 starter package.

Essentially, they've been saying "This money you give us is a donation...here's a cool ship that may or may not be worth anything to you at all when the game gets going to say 'thank you'!"

Are you telling me that the hand crank emergency radio that I get from pledging to my local PBS station ISN'T worth the $120 I have to spend to get it?

I mean, as long as everyone view their Star Citizen charitable contributions as such. I just find that gamers don't grapple well with entitlement syndrome. I've had fewer folks blow up that because they bought the $120 tote bag they were entitled to Terry Gross on Fresh Air, even if she wanted to take a week off.

Unpopular Opinion: Terry Gross is not a good interviewer and is incredibly overrated.

• Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    ship jpgs

No, disliking an ongoing mismanaged project is not trolling, even should you wish it to be. To pretend that this project is not rife with troubles, and very interesting to poke and prod at, is putting your head in the sand.

Disliking it isn't trolling, no. Only posting in the thread things to get a rise out of people, or to rub in some point you repeatedly feel you have to make is. In my opinion.

• Options
    DacDac Registered User regular
    Mr Ray wrote: »
    Dac wrote: »
    I'm somewhat ashamed to admit that I do own the rights to a Starliner, yes. Whenever that comes out.

I expect almost none of the detailed systems to actually be in game, and that passengers will function as a sort of extra-sensitive cargo that dislikes extreme g-forces being applied to them, sort of like how quantanium currently is considered volatile cargo. Maybe with the fancy drinks and such being 'consumables' (like the mining ones) that can be used to settle down passengers/raise their happiness levels if you've had to pull some bullshit maneuvers.

Maybe I'll find out if I'm right in ten years lol.

Actually, word from Chris is that the reason we don't have passengers in right now is because he doesn't want them to just be glorified cargo; they want them to be able to embark and disembark on their own and react sensibly to things like the ship being boarded, or you fucking off with them to the opposite end of the galaxy to their destination (at which point you've essentially kidnapped them). That's a lot of AI work that they've barely scratched the surface of.

That's bold considering they can't even get NPCs to stop standing on their chairs after years, lol.

Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
  • Options
    I'm somewhat ashamed to admit that I do own the rights to a Starliner, yes. Whenever that comes out.

I expect almost none of the detailed systems to actually be in game, and that passengers will function as a sort of extra-sensitive cargo that dislikes extreme g-forces being applied to them, sort of like how quantanium currently is considered volatile cargo. Maybe with the fancy drinks and such being 'consumables' (like the mining ones) that can be used to settle down passengers/raise their happiness levels if you've had to pull some bullshit maneuvers.

Actually, word from Chris is that the reason we don't have passengers in right now is because he doesn't want them to just be glorified cargo; they want them to be able to embark and disembark on their own and react sensibly to things like the ship being boarded, or you fucking off with them to the opposite end of the galaxy to their destination (at which point you've essentially kidnapped them). That's a lot of AI work that they've barely scratched the surface of.

That's bold considering they can't even get NPCs to stop standing on their chairs after years, lol.

Which is part of the reason why we haven't seen a dedicated passenger ship that ferries NPCs in-game yet.

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    @SCREECH OF THE FARG What was y

I mean, as long as everyone view their Star Citizen charitable contributions as such. I just find that gamers don't grapple well with entitlement syndrome. I've had fewer folks blow up that because they bought the $120 tote bag they were entitled to Terry Gross on Fresh Air, even if she wanted to take a week off.

Unpopular Opinion: Terry Gross is not a good interviewer and is incredibly overrated.

While I think Pete Holmes is a bad interviewer, I did enjoy his podcast

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular

Which is part of the reason why we haven't seen a dedicated passenger ship that ferries NPCs in-game yet.
    The solution is that all the passenger ships will be standing room only.

• Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    why would you play as a passenger

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular

Buying a new ship but don't want to leave a ship at where you're buying the ship from.

It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Warframe/Steam: NFyt
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    Maybe you really like the Iggy Pop song.

• Options
    emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    I mean I already want to bum a ride when I hit that ship cant spawn bug and maybe a ship dedicated to that would make it easier for me to get to a different transit hub?

But uh if that bug goes away I'd kinda lose interest. Unless ship summoning changes and you'd have to get back to where you left it in which case a space taxi kinda makes sense.

• Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular

I could see it if your ship is in one system and you're in another, or if your transport is wrecked and you need to get somewhere. If you don't have a ship that can make a long haul and you need to get somewhere that is extremely far away. If you want to travel to a specific planet to buy a new ship and then fly it back. If you need to get somewhere quickly (large passenger ships with powerful quantum drives will likely do long QT trips a lot faster than smaller ones), etc etc.

Think of any of the reasons why a person might take in-game travel in an MMO and you could make a potential case for it in Star Citizen.

• Options
    Mr RayMr Ray Sarcasm sphereRegistered User regular
    ship jpgs

See the thing is though, nobody's pretending that. Star Citizen has been hilariously mismanaged for some time, now mostly because Chris Roberts seems to see feature creep as something to be embraced rather than to run away from screaming, and his recent communications on Spectrum suggest that his attitude at this point is a slightly more politely worded version of "Fuck all y'all, I'm making my ultimate mega space game and its going to take however long it takes".

So I can understand getting turned off on the project, and I can understand refunding, but I'm not sure why you would continue to come in here just to thread-shit. I think American football is bad, but I've never once gone into the NFL thread to tell everyone there that their hobby is dumb and they shouldn't like it.

• Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    edited November 2020
    I'm not sure why you would continue to come in here just to thread-shit.

Some people crave attention, and negative attention is still attention.

SmokeStacks on
  • Options
    Oh hey, the Nomad is coming out, and it has one of the dumbest design decisions ever. It has a cargo bay that doesn't have a door! So the cargo bay is just open to the vacuum of space! It's like an open-bed truck, only worse! IN SPACE!

• Options
    Also, free-flight day kicking off tomorrow! From the sounds of it, everybody's getting a loaner Origin 100 to putter around in.

Personally, I'm still waiting for the G12 to get added in so my Valkyrie's hold looks less sad and empty.

• Options
    Mr RayMr Ray Sarcasm sphereRegistered User regular
    Yeah, I have absolutely no interest in the IAE this year. I've flown most of the ships I'm interested in at other free-flight events already, I'm waiting for the game to be a little more complete before I invest any more time in it for now.

The refining system that's coming in 3.12 is kind of exciting though for reasons which might not be immediately obvious; now instead of just mining raw minerals and selling them, you'll be able to haul them to a refinery and have them refined into various other products which you can then collect and sell. The refining job will always be accepted, but the time it takes and the price you pay depends on supply and demand; a busier refinery will charge more and take longer, so you may find it worthwhile to haul your stuff to a more out-of-the-way refinery depending on what you're trying to do. The important part here though is that the refining process is handled by a back-end service, not the game's servers.

A big part of turning this fancy tech demo we've got now into something more resembling an MMO is going to involve breaking out features that are currently handled by the game's poor overworked servers into their own back-end services, and this is the first example of one that lets us turn things into other things. If this one works without too many problems then in theory it wouldn't be too big of a step to create something similar to facilitate trading cargo between two players, at which point groups of players can start to organise small production chains where miners mine their rocks, refine the products and sell them to haulers, who then move them on to wherever they're profitable. And once the dynamic economy is properly up and running, we'll have the beginnings of a real in-game economy.

That's a pretty big "in theory", but we've already got the ability to trade currency between players, and now a service that that takes cargo and delivers different cargo, it seems only logical that the next step would have to be cargo trading between players.

• Options
    antheremantherem Registered User regular
    Ah, patch day, when we play "did they intentionally remove the free Freelancer for everybody or do I need to character reset"

• Options
    FuselageFuselage Oosik Jumpship LoungeRegistered User regular
    Oh hey, the Nomad is coming out, and it has one of the dumbest design decisions ever. It has a cargo bay that doesn't have a door! So the cargo bay is just open to the vacuum of space! It's like an open-bed truck, only worse! IN SPACE!

I checked it out in Arena Commander and....it's definitely weird. Also, I definitely want to fly it around with some guns in the back, like a Toyota Hilux stacked on an even bigger Toyota Hilux.

o4n72w5h9b5y.png
  • Options
    Fuselage wrote: »

I checked it out in Arena Commander and....it's definitely weird. Also, I definitely want to fly it around with some guns in the back, like a Toyota Hilux stacked on an even bigger Toyota Hilux.

Packing your mates in the back or a small vehicle with a SAM launcher to shoot at things tailing you is maybe the one upside to its weird AF design.

• Options

Packing your mates in the back or a small vehicle with a SAM launcher to shoot at things tailing you is maybe the one upside to its weird AF design.
    PIC_-_Libya_techs_2.jpg?ixlib=rb-1.1.0&q=45&auto=format&w=926&fit=clip

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular

So basically a space technical?

5gsowHm.png
  • Options
    yossarian_livesyossarian_lives Registered User regular
    It’s obviously a space El Camino.

"I see everything twice!"

• Options
    700k away from getting a Cutlass Red so that I can do Ground Based missions without fear of death

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited November 2020
    Ah yes the Nomad, I liked it when it was called an Asp Explorer.
    V5moiPW.jpg

biccavD.png

Honestly though, fix that cargo door and I'll be totally down.

edit- Oh wait, no! I got a better one! The Nomad is the Asp Explorer with RTX turned on.

nailed it

Axen on
    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    Well crap...

Kinda real tempted to trade in my Retaliator to the new Perseus. Not only does the Perseus have torpedoes, it also has a big-ass S7 turret and cargo space along with a vehicle bay.

The main downsides is being reduced from 5 manned turrets down to 2 and it being considerably slower than the Retaliator.

• Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I would have to see a floor plan before I made that choice.

...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options
    I would have to see a floor plan before I made that choice.

Thankfully, they have it on the Discover the Perseus ship page!

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/17881-RSI-Perseus

• Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I like it better than the retaliator.

• Options
    edited November 2020
    There definitely looks to be more room, for sure. I like the addition of a "Mess Hall"...it's like an intermediate step between heavy-strike craft and capital ship.

EDIT - y'know what...fuck it. Retaliator melted, Perseus gotten.

EDIT2 - while watching BoredGamer's video of it, I just realized what the Perseus makes me think of. It's an Elite: Dangerous Anaconda...

Erlkönig on
  • Options
    It says max crew 6 and beds for 5, but the Idris runs a crew of over 80 with a third of the bunks so I am betting they intend the same with the Perseus and you can have 10 or 15 people running around. One thing I would like to see more of however, is ships with a dedicated MPUV or equivalent instead of shared cargo space to maybe have a ground vehicle.

They really don't have a good solution for moving between ships in space right now.

• Options
    Can't the MPUV fit inside the Carrack? For the 'smaller' ships, it probably makes sense to not have a shuttlecraft to ferry personnel to and from the ship(s). Things like the Polaris and Carrack, though, it makes more sense to have that function.

• Options
    edited November 2020
    Can't the MPUV fit inside the Carrack? For the 'smaller' ships, it probably makes sense to not have a shuttlecraft to ferry personnel to and from the ship(s). Things like the Polaris and Carrack, though, it makes more sense to have that function.

I think that for single person ships, EV is acceptable when you can't just land inside a larger ship. Multicrew ships should all have a hard dock point, but those are inconvenient to maneuver to dock up. Any ship that purports itself to be a multicrew military ship should have a parasite craft for personnel transfers and resupply.
    The smaller multicrew ships could use a Pieces or equivalent, and leave the MPUV or equivalent for the larger ships.

I mean, if the captains of some Hammerhead, Polaris, and Perseus type craft need to meet with their commanding officer on board an Idris as it stand right now this is more than a little inconvenient.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    I'm tempted if only because of the lower crew need than the Retaliator.

But the Retaliator is faster and not melting it down to get a Perseus requires no effort on my part

• Options
    I'm tempted if only because of the lower crew need than the Retaliator.

But the Retaliator is faster and not melting it down to get a Perseus requires no effort on my part

Even with melting it down, I had to tap into my Kraken nest-egg to get the Perseus upgrade.

(the "nest egg" was $650 credit I got for scrapping my Super Hornet + Endeavor with exploration modules)

• Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    Oh yeah, I assumed I'd probably have to melt down something else as well but I have a number of options.

This discussion has been closed.