As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

the old pokemon thread :(

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    More highlights from the rules thread:
    What should I do if I have a problem with a moderator or a moderating decision?

Do not make the issue public. Your best recourse is to send a private message to the moderator expressing your concerns. If you are unsatisfied with the response, you can escalate the matter to the administrator via email.

Stay on-topic (where appropriate)

All of the forums with the exception of Social Entropy are considered on-topic forums. This means all of your posts should be in some way relevant to the overarching topic of the thread. This means no “how's it going guys?” etc. Each topic should be contained within a single thread and it's expected that before making a thread you'll check to see if there is already a thread on that subject on the boards. Threads should also be appropriate to the forum they are posted in.

Maybe you should go and read them rather than doing keyword searches. I'm not interested in your justification for using the word "retarded". It's something that literally any adult should know is unacceptable, and the cultural zeitgeist has not change so slowly on this that I will accept that you had no idea that you should not say it. I am not interested in further discourse on this matter, and if you continue to attempt to hijack the thread to talk about your personal grievances you will be summarily kicked out of it.

• Options
    StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    edited November 2018
    Zunde wrote: »
    You can gain +200 In each stat from candy but the more you feed a pokemon the more candy per point they require.

And yup the higher your catch chain is the more candy drops you can get for winning this is a picture of a Geodude i just caught on my chain it's on the low end of rewards but it works an an example

Edit - On the way out of the cave to take that picture i actually ran into a SECOND shiny geodude
    m78t22ek6ehe.jpg

I am kind of tempted to do a bit of that to help my pokemon not be soft babies. My Arcanine and Kadabra get chunked hard against attacks that aren't even super effective.

Eevee seems to be an unstoppable killing machine which is weird to me. I also noticed every now and then an attack against Eevee would miss and a heart would pop up over her head.

I just wish I could evolve my Eevee.

Stragint on
    PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Stragint wrote: »
    Zunde wrote: »
    You can gain +200 In each stat from candy but the more you feed a pokemon the more candy per point they require.

And yup the higher your catch chain is the more candy drops you can get for winning this is a picture of a Geodude i just caught on my chain it's on the low end of rewards but it works an an example

Edit - On the way out of the cave to take that picture i actually ran into a SECOND shiny geodude
    m78t22ek6ehe.jpg

I am kind of tempted to do a bit of that to help my pokemon not be soft babies. My Arcanine and Kadabra get chunked hard against attacks that aren't even super effective.

Eevee seems to be an unstoppable killing machine which is weird to me. I also noticed every now and then an attack against Eevee would miss and a heart would pop up over her head.

I just wish I could evolve my Eevee.

Yeah, the starters are grossly OP cpared to normal stats and movelists for the species.

Imagine if you could use Z-moves with that Eevee.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    Makes me wonder how next gen will interact with Let’s Go.

Will anomalous pikachus and eevees be a thing, or will millions of children be heartbroken when their friend from 2018 gets one-shot by most trainers

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    If Let's Go even allows you to transfer out to Bank, I guarantee the starter won't be exportable.

• Options
    ZundeZunde Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    Using a lure apparently also increases your shiny chance.

1/4096 Base

31+ Catch chain reduces that to 1/341

31+ Catch combo with a lure active drops that to 1/315

With a 31 catch chain a lure and the shiny charm you're at a massive 1/273

Look's like i'm stocking up on lures since i'm a pretty avid hunter of the elusive shiny.

Also apparently your chain has no bearing on what shiny pokemon you get. Chain 31 geodudes and you're as likely to see a shiny zubat or a chansey or even an onix as a geodude and so long as you keep your chain intact you can use it anywhere chain 31 Caterpie in the forest then go squat outside mount moon for increased chance at a shiny charmander showing up.

This is actually amazing.

Zunde on
  • Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    I am firmly of the opinion that if you get an Excellent with an Ultra Ball throw, you should just catch the Pokémon.

• Options
    EnclaveofGnomesEnclaveofGnomes Registered User regular
    A bit disappointingly easy battles but it's hard to be to angry, it definitely isn't aimed at me and the whole feel of the game is quite fun and relaxing.

I haven't been on the pokemon scene since around pokemon yellow (Just haven't had the means to play them outside emulators) but do we know when the next main pokemon game is coming and if it's coming to switch?

• Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    A bit disappointingly easy battles but it's hard to be to angry, it definitely isn't aimed at me and the whole feel of the game is quite fun and relaxing.

I haven't been on the pokemon scene since around pokemon yellow (Just haven't had the means to play them outside emulators) but do we know when the next main pokemon game is coming and if it's coming to switch?

Second half of 2019 is what I've heard. And yes, it's coming to the Switch.

• Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    I love this game
    we love this game

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    GMaster7GMaster7 Goggles Paesano Registered User regular
    edited November 2018

This is the vibe I'm getting. With work and life being much more stressful lately, I'm looking forward to this "babier" version of Pokemon more than the next mainline release, which I did not expect. #babylife

Looks like the next mainline game is coming in the second half of 2019. I'm sure we'll hear all about it around E3 2019 at the latest, which is in early June. I'd expect a Nintendo Direct about it in the spring.

GMaster7 on
    PSN: SKI2000G | Steam: GMaster7 | Battle.net: GMaster7#1842 | Twitch: twitch.tv/SKI2000G
  • Options
    TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
    If you don't main your OP starter and don't overlevel, this game isn't any easier than the recent mainline games imo

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    It's easier in the terms that once rare Pokemon are now plentiful. Not that that's a bad thing, but making your ideal team could sometimes be time consuming back in the old games.

Also, you can boost the everloving crap out of stats if you want to and pretty easily so even non-Starter guys can get pretty crazy. Granted they don't have those bonkers moves the starters can learn, but it's a far cry from the days of checking EV/IV stats constantly. Any Pokemon can be viable and that's really cool.

So while the game itself isn't much easier, they made certain tasks that took a lot of grinding and then condensed them down a lot. As someone who plays like every third generation of Poke games, because of that very same tedium they're dodging here, I'm super Ok with the changes and hope they implement a lot of it in the mainline titles. Or atleast offer toggles.

• Options
    It's easy to make the game easy, yes

But you don't have to do that

I've been staying within plus/minus two levels of my opponents, and the battles are, if anything, harder than gen 7

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
  • Options
    The mistake I think is assuming the average player won't use their starter or candies. It's pretty much a tradition of mine and many others to take the starter from beginning to the end. Hell I kept the same Charizard for years and I'm hard pressed not to have one in my party if I can.

So since they made the starters really adorable and useful, people want to use them, and probably will even if it makes the game easy. Even if I put a different Eevee in my party and use it, it's not the Eevee wearing a matching Team Rocket outfit with me.

I dunno I guess I like not having to pray for an Abra to stay around long enough to catch God damn you little teleporting fuck get in the BALL

• Options
    I don't think anyone is assuming that people won't use candies or their starter

But when one of the biggest complaints with the game is that it's too easy, then people who are aware of that can choose not to make it easier than it has to be

I'm just saying, for people who think it's too easy, it's fairly simple to make the difficulty on par with the previous games

• Options
    GMaster7GMaster7 Goggles Paesano Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    Would it be bad/encouraging spam in the thread to ask what everyone's 6-Poke dream team from the original 151 looks like? I'm always curious about what Pokemon people like to use and why.

I think way back with Blue, my ultimate team was... well, man, I'm having a hard time remembering. And (like many of you, I'm sure) I have favorites who aren't necessarily the final evolution, either because of the cartoon or just for whatever reason(s). I think my favorites are:
    Bulbasaur/Ivysaur
    Sandshrew/Sandslash
    Geodude (/evolutions?)
    Gastly/Haunter(/Gengar)
    Lapras
    Zapdos
    I guess I'd maybe keep Pikachu around instead of or until getting Zapdos. I remember being fond of Kabutops, Snorlax, Arcanine, and others. Bah, this shit makes me so nostalgic.

After Red/Blue, I found that I would prefer to try to specialize in a certain type (like a Gym Leader) - usually Grass or Dark - because I needed a more defined goal like that. But with the original 151, I gravitate towards certain favorites, for whatever reason.

GMaster7 on
    PSN: SKI2000G | Steam: GMaster7 | Battle.net: GMaster7#1842 | Twitch: twitch.tv/SKI2000G
  • Options
    Turambar wrote: »

But when one of the biggest complaints with the game is that it's too easy, then people who are aware of that can choose not to make it easier than it has to be

I'm just saying, for people who think it's too easy, it's fairly simple to make the difficulty on par with the previous games

But again, you're focusing on the battling side of things. Even discounting that side of it, they've changed a lot that reduces the difficulty of the originals. Right away you no longer have to worry about random battles hurting your party. Good pokemon are plentiful and easier to catch. Pokeball basically fall out of the sky.

It's easier in a lot of ways than just the battles, but easy =/= bad. Some veterans find it easier, and it is, even if you handicap yourself; there's a lot of things that changed that removed needless grind and it's a definite improvement for any adult with like, a job.

• Options
    GMaster7 wrote: »
    Would it be bad/encouraging spam in the thread to ask what everyone's 6-Poke dream team from the original 151 looks like? I'm always curious about what Pokemon people like to use and why.

I think way back with Blue, my ultimate team was... well, man, I'm having a hard time remembering. And (like many of you, I'm sure) I have favorites who aren't necessarily the final evolution, either because of the cartoon or just for whatever reason(s). I think my favorites are:
    Bulbasaur/Ivysaur
    Sandshrew/Sandslash
    Geodude (/evolutions?)
    Gastly/Haunter(/Gengar)
    Lapras
    Zapdos
    I guess I'd maybe keep Pikachu around instead of or until getting Zapdos. I remember being fond of Kabutops, Snorlax, Arcanine, and others. Bah, this shit makes me so nostalgic.

Easy

Alakazam
    Charizard
    Executor
    Gyrados
    Rhydon
    Jolteon

• Options
    ChanceChance Registered User regular
    DISSENTING OPINION

I have never, ever, in my life, ever played a Pokemon game. Ever. I have no affection for Brock or Misty, no romance in me for the word "Kanto." But I do have a Switch, and the announcement of a new console Pokemon that was specifically designed to introduce newcomers to the franchise seemed ideal, for me. I've been watching other kids play with Pokemon my entire life and never checked it out for myself.

I'm only 2 gyms deep, and I gotta' say I can't... even perceive where this game's fun factor might be hiding. A wild X appeared! You caught it and your Pokedudes got XP! Alrighty. You locked eyes with another trainer! One-shot their Pokemon and get some more XP! Alrighty. But I'm already so powerful just by walking forward and catching Pokemon and fighting trainers that these fights aren't fights, they're just a question of whether or not this dude's resistant to RyanReynolds' thunder strike, in which case bring out the radish thing that'll drain their HP in one move, and then it's back to RyanReynolds.

I am... profoundly disappointed in what I've discovered Pokemon to be. I can't tell if the world has fallen in love with something that's completely meh in every direction and that's tragic, to me, or if I waited so long to try a childhood favorite of so, so many people that it sadly can't find its way to seizing my inner child's imagination, guarded as it is by decades of gaming experience.

I'm guessing I just waited too long to try it. I'm an adult with ring-pop and I'm like "yeah, it's sugar. There are a lot of sugar-products that taste a lot better than this, and they don't pinch my finger" and the kid on the bench next to me is happily sucking on their ring, looking at me like I'm an asshole, unable to conceive how one could find their way to not being thrilled with a ring-pop.

"It tastes good," the kid says.

"It's just green sugar," I reply.

"Sugar's yummy!"

"I know sugar is yummy, but... ah fuck it. Enjoy your ring-pop, kid."

"You said a bad word."

"Well you like a bad game."

'Chance, you are the best kind of whore.' -Henroid
  • Options
    Turambar wrote: »

But again, you're focusing on the battling side of things.

Because EnclaveofGnomes said that the battles are too easy, which is what I responded to

I just wanted to offer a tip that might help people who think the battles are too easy

• Options
    edited November 2018
    You did say that the ease was "one of the biggest complaints" but hey, I'm just clarifying that even if you stick the starter in the box it's still gonna be easier than mainline titles. Theres no way to turn down the number of pokemon or re-enable rarity/appreance rates from the traditional games, and you get boatloads of XP without ever having to battle wild pokeys

You're also not forced into using HM moves, you can avoid wild Pokemon, etc. Some things that used to hamper your trainer battles are just gone, which makes every battle easier since you don't have to micromanage Pokemon health and status effects from random encounters and catching

Local H Jay on
  • Options
    CruorCruor Registered User regular
    Chance wrote: »
    DISSENTING OPINION

...even perceive where this game's fun factor might be hiding...

This game is made specifically for small children, non-gamers, and people who want to feel massive nostalgia. As a full grown adult gamer this game (and honestly some of the other Pokemon games) will feel super crazy easy for most of the game. This can also be said for a lot of JRPGs in general.

The real fun comes in playing the late/post-game content (again, like most JRPGs) and playing versus actual people. I'm not too sure what the vs. other actual people options are for Let's Go.

• Options
    TDawgTDawg Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    Knowing that the meaty stuff (ie PVP) wouldn't really be featured in this game, I went into this game expecting it just be Just Cute, and....it's Really Cute! Cute Game, 10/10, would pet Pikachu again

But yeah if you are looking for something more than a cute game I don't think I could recommend it to you.

TDawg on
    NNID: ohnoTom || 3DS: 1762-3198-2019 || Steam || Take My Good Pokemon
    Let's Plays of Japanese Games
  • Options
    Element BrianElement Brian Peanut Butter Shill Registered User regular
    i took eevee out of my party and haven't regretted it, gives myself the challenge plus you still can interact with him (mines a he) as much as you want

also god leveling up and evolving pokemon is sooooooooo much easier with the catching/grinding system, i've evolved nearly every pokemon I've caught and it's opening up new ways for me to play, starting to roll with squads I've never used before like Machamp, Victreebell, Golem and Golduck.

Really just so enjoyable

I wish they had kept safari zone alongside the pokemon go place but i get it

Switch FC code:SW-2130-4285-0059

Arch,
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_goGR39m2k
  • Options
    I'm loving shiny hunting in Let's go.

So far i have a Spearow , a Zubat , 2 Geodudes , and a Ekans.

*Hugs knees sitting in the middle of the grass outside mount moon* Progressed a bit so i could buy lures and backtracked here i ain't leaving this spot until i get my shiny charmander

• Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    I mean, technically I could take Eevee out of my party I suppose.

But then who would wear the teeny tiny sailor costume I ask you?

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    If you take Eevee out of your party it will still ride on your head like a boss looking all handsome.

When i shiny hunt i remove my entire main party (Of 2 pokemon i'm picky) so they don't over-level while i hunt for shiny

Example - My party right now consists of six level 32 Arboks while my Eevee and Mew are level 29

• Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    GMaster7 wrote: »

Bulbasaur/Ivysaur
    Sandshrew/Sandslash
    Geodude (/evolutions?)
    Gastly/Haunter(/Gengar)
    Lapras
    Zapdos

After Red/Blue, I found that I would prefer to try to specialize in a certain type (like a Gym Leader) - usually Grass or Dark - because I needed a more defined goal like that. But with the original 151, I gravitate towards certain favorites, for whatever reason.

That's absolutely not uncouthe, we've had this discussion many times before and will continue to because discussing our favorite pastel pixels is fun.

For a specifically Gen 1 team, mine would be something like:
    Porygon
    Ninetales
    Nidoqueen
    Weezing
    Hitmonlee
    Jolteon

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    Still don’t have this, still tempted. I’ve just read that the movey moves are straight up broken. I think eevee will have to be a shoulder accessory from the start.

Back in the day I had:
    Charizard
    Farfetch’d
    Gengar
    Alakazam
    Kabutops
    Dugtrio

Today I might have a team of usually dismissed/less commonly used mons:
    Golbat — Over abundance made people dispair at travelling through caves, but it’s actually a pretty cool and funny looking bat.

Dewgong — I don’t think I’ve ever used one, or met anyone that has.

Fearow — You’re given two choices on birds early on, one looked cool and one is spearow.

Hypno — Similarly, one was the most powerful non-legendary at the time and the other is drowzee.

Dragonite — Kid me was annoyed this guy wasn’t as pretty as the rest of its line, nor “badass”. Now I think it’s great!

Beedrill — Awful stats back in the day, likely more viable if Let’s Go is super easy.

Endless_Serpents on
  • Options
    CruorCruor Registered User regular
    My 6 would be:

Blastoise
    Nidoking
    Snorlax
    Golem
    Venomoth
    Weezing

There is a lot of type overlap but that's fine, I love the poison type so much and Gen 1 is packed with poison types.

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Cruor wrote: »
    Chance wrote: »
    DISSENTING OPINION

...even perceive where this game's fun factor might be hiding...

This game is made specifically for small children, non-gamers, and people who want to feel massive nostalgia. As a full grown adult gamer this game (and honestly some of the other Pokemon games) will feel super crazy easy for most of the game. This can also be said for a lot of JRPGs in general.

The real fun comes in playing the late/post-game content (again, like most JRPGs) and playing versus actual people. I'm not too sure what the vs. other actual people options are for Let's Go.

A level of temperance is also expected considering it has been stressed many many times already that Let's Go is a very simplified system over the mainline games. Starting the franchise with what's ostensibly a side game and then judging the entire franchise based on it(much less with extreme reaction as "profoundly" disappointed) is not fair to the franchise at all.

• Options
    Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    You know, a full team of six per gym might be a cool idea for a run.

Make eight teams for the gyms, then pick your best for the Elite Four.

It could be interesting as your teams would be made mostly from Pokemon local to the gym’s town and outlying areas.

Endless_Serpents on
  • Options
    Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    DskOh4SVsAASb2K.jpg

I wasn't even chaining for shinies, so this is pretty lucky.

Maz- on
    Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • Options
    NamrokNamrok Registered User regular
    So I had a consensual, but rough and shameful encounter with the leader of the lightning gym. I skated by on a razor thin margin, but I couldn't figure out which pokemon was actually lightning's weakness. The best I could figure out was that Ivysaur was fairly durable to lightning attacks if I remember correctly. Or just durable period. But that was mostly because everyone else was one shotted. So try as I might, I was mostly just slowly chipping away at lightning pokemon.

I'm slowly picking up the types, and who's weak to what. Characters will randomly mention who's weak to what from time to time. Other times it seems intuitive enough. But I keep feeling like I missed a bunch of tutorials somewhere or something. Like one NPC told me I can stop evolutions by hitting the B button? Why would I ever want to do such a thing? This information came before any explanation of evolutions, or at least any explanation I found. I think I'm going around, talking to everyone, going into every house. But I guess I could have missed it.

That said, I'm starting to understand why people like these games. I'm also experiencing this weird sense of nostalgia by proxy, since I lived in a household where my brother always had the Pokemon cartoon on, and everyone around me played it. But it's this weird, distorted sense of nostalgia, where you know it looked way worse and played pretty differently. But it somehow captures the same feeling with tweaked sensibilities. Like Doom 1993 and Doom 2016.

• Options
    KupiKupi Registered User regular
    Namrok wrote: »
    I'm slowly picking up the types, and who's weak to what. Characters will randomly mention who's weak to what from time to time. Other times it seems intuitive enough. But I keep feeling like I missed a bunch of tutorials somewhere or something. Like one NPC told me I can stop evolutions by hitting the B button? Why would I ever want to do such a thing? This information came before any explanation of evolutions, or at least any explanation I found. I think I'm going around, talking to everyone, going into every house. But I guess I could have missed it.

There's no shame in not knowing these things. Having been around for twenty(!)-odd years now, Pokemon has developed a kind of multi-layered strata of in-game lore that they kind of assume is either obvious because you've played at least three games already, or can ask someone who has. So feel free to ask questions! We should all strive to be like the NPCs from Pokemon, always ready with useful information and maybe a free Potion for no reason.

To the specific matter of types, the original game boy games came with a type chart in the manual.Those are no secret, so it's fine to look one up if you need to.

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    Namrok wrote: »
    So I had a consensual, but rough and shameful encounter with the leader of the lightning gym. I skated by on a razor thin margin, but I couldn't figure out which pokemon was actually lightning's weakness. The best I could figure out was that Ivysaur was fairly durable to lightning attacks if I remember correctly. Or just durable period. But that was mostly because everyone else was one shotted. So try as I might, I was mostly just slowly chipping away at lightning pokemon.

That said, I'm starting to understand why people like these games. I'm also experiencing this weird sense of nostalgia by proxy, since I lived in a household where my brother always had the Pokemon cartoon on, and everyone around me played it. But it's this weird, distorted sense of nostalgia, where you know it looked way worse and played pretty differently. But it somehow captures the same feeling with tweaked sensibilities. Like Doom 1993 and Doom 2016.

If I remember right the benefits to preventing an evolution is that the pokemon will learn moves sooner or learn moves the evolved form won't learn. It is a little weird and will require a Google search for what and when each form will learn attacks.

I'm running into this problem with my Arcanine. As a Growlithe it will learn a ton of moves but evolving it too early will mess up its possible move set. Since my Arcanine was given to me by an NPC I'm kind of screwed with a bad moveset until I find the move tutor.

Stragint on
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

• Options
    SirToastySirToasty Registered User regular
    Also just FYI, Electric only has one weakness: ground

• Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    SirToasty wrote: »
    Also just FYI, Electric only has one weakness: ground

And then Electross is floating over in the corner flipping you off.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    Oh, also, so much sadder in this version that the previous and spoilered for people who have not played through before.

I'm talking about Lavander Town:
    The stuff with Cubone is so sad and horrible. The way team rocket lured him to the game shop and the part where the ghost is revealed as Cubone's mother and just damn, so sad.