As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Game of the Year with your pals at Giant Bomb

• Options
    Duke 2.0Duke 2.0 Time Trash Cat Registered User regular
    I got Pokemon Y for free with some deal on my 3DS, and I couldn't really get to the end of the game. Everything felt somewhat arbitrary? Which pokemon have good stat development? Which ones will I need for much later game fights? Should I even bother with typing, or just spend more time grinding up my A team to a higher level where weaknesses don't matter? Felt like a JRPG with a job system where each job is just four abilities and there's hundreds of jobs to individually level up. And there was the out of fight training minigames that made me feel that any decent pokemon will require grinding out a bunch of these minigames to be on the statline the devs intended.

I overthought the systems real quick, burning me out

VRXwDW7.png
  • Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    Songhai

Gimme all them ranged minions

I'll probably end up going Magmar because I like BIG DUDES who do BIG DAMAGE

Songhai appeals to the asshole red mage burn deck-lover in me, though.

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    Duke 2.0 wrote: »
    I got Pokemon Y for free with some deal on my 3DS, and I couldn't really get to the end of the game. Everything felt somewhat arbitrary? Which pokemon have good stat development? Which ones will I need for much later game fights? Should I even bother with typing, or just spend more time grinding up my A team to a higher level where weaknesses don't matter? Felt like a JRPG with a job system where each job is just four abilities and there's hundreds of jobs to individually level up. And there was the out of fight training minigames that made me feel that any decent pokemon will require grinding out a bunch of these minigames to be on the statline the devs intended.

I overthought the systems real quick, burning me out

Well

If you ever pick it back up again, or any Pokemon game, there's always a friendly community around who'd be glad to give you some pointers! (the biggest one is pretend you're 8, and that hitting a Fire guy with a Water attack is the thing you want most)

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    edited December 2016
    I haven't played Duelyst in a while, but I remember very fondly the two times people immediately conceded when I played Vetruvian and super buffed my ranged guys within the first three turns.

ChicoBlue on
  • Options
    YaYaYaYa Decent. Registered User regular
    after watching Griffin's Nuzlocke run I'm convinced that that is the only way I would ever play Pokemon single player again, with a few modifications

it removes the brute force option and that's more than enough for me

• Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    YaYa wrote: »
    after watching Griffin's Nuzlocke run I'm convinced that that is the only way I would ever play Pokemon single player again, with a few modifications

I burned out pretty quickly on moon because I ended up outleveling everything by so much with my favorite pokes that the challenge was completely gone. I may restart it, I dunno.

It's also easier to come up with nicknames when you'll only catch a couple dozen throughout the game, which is a plus.

• Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    I'm really enjoying Sun/Moon but the trainers only ever having 1/2 pokemon is a pretty huge negative for me

The catch rates on the rare pokemon being only 5% in most cases was a huge mistake, it means I usually don't know they're there at all and just don't see them, especially since they dumped dexnav for the time honored reason of "because"

That said I don't really have any problem with area size or actual pokemon diversity, its explicitly the catch rate that's a problem

And I don't really agree the game is any more hand-holdey than they've been for a long time

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    Sun and Moon is a game where, if you decide to go deep, THIS can be your MVP:

ovmqdL6.png

How can you say no?

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    well

I don't like that pokemon

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    Stilts wrote: »
    Songhai

Speeds deck is the devil

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    well

I don't like that pokemon

Chincy...

we agree on a Pokemon

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    Care Free BombCare Free Bomb Registered User regular
    Moon was fairly difficult for me because even with EXP share on almost all the time I was constantly underleveled because there were so many good new pokemon to use

8saxds2jkfoy.png
    3DS: 2019-9671-8106 NNID: RamblinMushroom
    Twitter/Tumblr
  • Options
    existexist Registered User regular
    Kwoaru wrote: »
    Did anyone actually play and enjoy mirrors edge 2

I wanted to get it and love it but every new announcement kinda made me less excited so I never picked it up

i had no idea that this actually came out

UmPiq.png
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    edited December 2016
    exist wrote: »
    Kwoaru wrote: »
    Did anyone actually play and enjoy mirrors edge 2

I wanted to get it and love it but every new announcement kinda made me less excited so I never picked it up

i had no idea that this actually came out

came out June 7th

actually it makes me wonder how the game would have sold if it was also published on steam, with ads on the storefront to remind people that it was out

I can't imagine that Origin-only made more money for EA than releasing on Steam, even with Valve's cut

Brolo on
  • Options
    This astroneer quickook makes it look like space engineers for the sane

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2016
    how is space engineers now

I always wanted to get into that game but the UI would screw up on the tutorial

everything I saw people make in it looked really neat though

Brolo on
  • Options
    THESPOOKYTHESPOOKY papa! Registered User regular
    edited December 2016
    I'd have to suss out a better top 10 but it definitely includes DOOM, Hitman, Titanfall 2, Duelyst, and Rainbow Six: Siege, which I think is tragically overlooked on a lot of lists

The Siege team at Ubisoft has put out more frequent, solid, and comprehensively noted patches than I've ever seen in a multiplayer FPS. They succeeded in the same way that IO Interactive did in supporting their game all year.

EDIT: Oh shoot, that came out December of last year

I was 99% sure it was January 2016

THESPOOKY on
    d4753b065e9d63cc25203f06160a1cd1.png
  • Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    Rainbow Six Siege came out last December

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    ThetherooThetheroo Registered User regular
    The only time I've ever played an Origin-only game was if it was made by Bioware. Everything else I just can't be bothered.

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Watch Dogs 2 is 35 bucks on Amazon right now

hrmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    AshcroftAshcroft LOL The PayloadRegistered User regular
    I think there's some thing where you can get a pretty big discount on WD2 on uplay with uplay points or something too.

ZD98Zka.png
  • Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    edited December 2016
    X and Y had the broken exp share, my delphox was level 80 or something when I trounced the champion. emerald was my first pokemon game and I had a hell of a time in that game. swampert saved my ass so many times. as for games I played this year it was more than usual, lets see if I can remember them all

darkest dungeon
    x-com
    the division
    fire emblem
    bravely second
    ZTD
    stellaris
    *cough* sakura dungeon
    backstage pass
    overwatch
    tyranny

I think that's everything, overall a pretty good crop. even sakura dungeon managed to elevate itself beyond its typical terribleness

Jars on
  • Options
    Brolo wrote: »

It has a campaign now!

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Brolo wrote: »

I hear it's like Astroneer for the insane

• Options
    Jars wrote: »
    X and Y had the broken exp share, my delphox was level 80 or something when I trounced the champion. emerald was my first pokemon game and I had a hell of a time in that game. swampert saved my ass so many times.

EXP share is basically the difficulty select

8saxds2jkfoy.png
    Twitter/Tumblr
  • Options
    Vann DirasVann Diras Registered User regular
    I tried putting together a top ten list and ended up with 15 games and I'm not sure what to cut

Picking a number one is gonna take some time

• Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    deus ex mankind divided is 20 bucks on steam. decided not to pick it up at launch but 20 bucks only a short 4 months after release is a damn good deal

• Options
    DiarmuidDiarmuid Amazing Meatball Registered User regular
    I was gonna try and make up a list of games from this year that I liked

But then I realised I can barely remember Monday never mind April

• Options
    ThetherooThetheroo Registered User regular
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    Watch Dogs 2 is 35 bucks on Amazon right now

hrmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Watch Dogs 2 is definitely worth $35, it's a fun game that improves upon the original in a lot of great ways and has some pretty neat moments in it.

• Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    I have so many games to play that it overwhelms and stresses me out so I end up just playing remasters like darksiders (I'm on xbox one) instead for the familiarity.

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    Songhai

Funnily enough, Magmar actually has the deck most like a Magic red aggro/burn deck right now

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    I wish there was, like, a half as good exp share in Pokemon.

Cause just leaving it on makes everything real easy, but turning it off makes everything real grindy.

Course I'm currently trying to power through the end of Sun cause I kind of hate this gen and just want to get it done so all my dudes being to swole is a good thing.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    Songhai

Funnily enough, Magmar actually has the deck most like a Magic red aggro/burn deck right now

Yeah, but Magmar looks like a duck with a butt for a head so I don't know why you'd pick it

8saxds2jkfoy.png
    Twitter/Tumblr
  • Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    Songhai

Yeah, but Magmar looks like a duck with a butt for a head so I don't know why you'd pick it

Not everyone sees "duck with a butt for a head" as an inherently negative thing.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    Tommy2HandsTommy2Hands what is this where am i Registered User regular
    turtleant wrote: »

Cause just leaving it on makes everything real easy, but turning it off makes everything real grindy.

Course I'm currently trying to power through the end of Sun cause I kind of hate this gen and just want to get it done so all my dudes being to swole is a good thing.

The original experience share was pretty fair in my mind

8j12qx8ma5j5.jpg
  • Options
    turtleant wrote: »

The original experience share was pretty fair in my mind

BJEHlMD.jpg

• Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    Their pick for Hottest Mess is correct

• Options
    tsplittertsplitter Registered User regular
    Vinny and Dan are going to make good Hitman videos

FqmsaJ6.png
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    AdusAdus Registered User regular
    YaYa wrote: »

it seems fucking nerve-wracking though

and heart-breaking
    RIP Miss Beakman

This discussion has been closed.