As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Games Done Quick: See You Next Mission

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    SkutSkut wrote: »
    I'm assuming that's a show name? What is that?

• Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    Henroid wrote: »
    SkutSkut wrote: »
    I'm assuming that's a show name? What is that?
    Looks to be a shooter games marathon.

• Options
    HandkorHandkor Registered User regular
    They have quite the schedule. I like that it's not all FPS, there are some Run and Gun games in there too.

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Kyong82 vs. saltyphry had a really good match in the round of 16, game 1. 1:59 flat for your winning time, so it was super trolly. A whole bunch of lead changes. Won't spoil your winner, because the lead changes a couple times in GT.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular

For anyone who liked console kickers actions at sgdq he's got a special run he's doing today of mario 3. It's badical.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited July 2018
    Shit I was just coming here to post that.

Edit - The power glove was a mistake.

Henroid on
  • Options
    Honestly its freaking hilarious to watch someone really good at mario 3 be very bad at mario 3, so bad.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Preacher wrote: »
    Honestly its freaking hilarious to watch someone really good at mario 3 be very bad at mario 3, so bad.
    People are comparing it to watching Twitch Plays and they're not wrong.

• Options
    Jesus I just read about the tech that the Power Glove was built on. That was a fucking stupid idea.
    There are two ultrasonic speakers (transmitters) in the glove and three ultrasonic microphones (receivers) around the TV monitor. The ultrasonic speakers take turns transmitting a short burst (a few pulses) of 40 kHz sound and the system measures the time it takes for the sound to reach the microphones. A triangulation calculation is performed to determine the X, Y, Z location of each of the two speakers, which specifies the yaw and roll of the hand. The only dimension it cannot calculate is the pitch of the hand, since the hand can pitch without moving the location of the two ultrasonic speakers.

• Options
    Not technically over yet, but hippo is going to even his series with Ben. Seed wanted you to use Bombos to get the flute from Ice Palace, go to checkerboard cave to get the Fire Rod, go to Turtle Rock to get the book, use the book on Ether tablet to get Quake, use Quake to get into pendant Mire, get boots from Mire to unlock bootslocked Desert, and get the bow for go mode.

hippo just stole a key from the back of desert to circumvent most of that whole process and he's going to win by like a full GT.

• Options
    Not technically over yet, but hippo is going to even his series with Ben. Seed wanted you to use Bombos to get the flute from Ice Palace, go to checkerboard cave to get the Fire Rod, go to Turtle Rock to get the book, use the book on Ether tablet to get Quake, use Quake to get into pendant Mire, get boots from Mire to unlock bootslocked Desert, and get the bow for go mode.

hippo just stole a key from the back of desert to circumvent most of that whole process and he's going to win by like a full GT.

Yeah honestly it was a smart play on his part too with a pendant desert.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    GPB made it to world 8 a few minutes ago and he just beat the first level. This is some really hype shit.

• Options
    1:36:16 is kind of a crazy time for that seed if you don't steal the key. Ben is comically good at this game. Second time he has to go game three in the brackets because people are gambling like crazy against him.

• Options
    Also poo has to run this category at AGDQ 2019.

• Options
    Also poo has to run this category at AGDQ 2019.
    He may not be able to go there and he's been declining the idea as it comes up once in a while. Although most of that was before he made it to world 8 AND before he found out the ships there stay beaten even if you continue.

• Options
    He's a no go for AGDQ he's having a child around then. Maybe SGDQ 2019

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    Jesus I just read about the tech that the Power Glove was built on. That was a fucking stupid idea.
    There are two ultrasonic speakers (transmitters) in the glove and three ultrasonic microphones (receivers) around the TV monitor. The ultrasonic speakers take turns transmitting a short burst (a few pulses) of 40 kHz sound and the system measures the time it takes for the sound to reach the microphones. A triangulation calculation is performed to determine the X, Y, Z location of each of the two speakers, which specifies the yaw and roll of the hand. The only dimension it cannot calculate is the pitch of the hand, since the hand can pitch without moving the location of the two ultrasonic speakers.

It's so bad.

• Options
    Alright, so finally actually did the damn randomizer myself, and despite absolutely horrific execution, I finished with a time of 2:39:41. Many, many mistakes were made, but not atrocious for my first attempt. I need a better controller for one thing, but:

1) Don't forget that Mire is a pendant, dummy.
    2) Six heart green mail Thieves' Town is one thing when you're good at the game, when you're not it cost me a couple deaths.
    3) Died to Trinex (oops)
    4) Many, many tricks I have to learn, though some are pretty forgiving like the hookshot/dash speed thingy.

It was a pretty generous seed to be honest, two real tricks to it. First was Ice Rod on green pendant (Ice Palace), so I double dipped Turtle Rock which is never fun. The other was it gave me both gloves, mirror, and flute super early but no moon pearl, so I went right into Desert via the mirror. Which was where Moon Pearl was. And that was definitely intended because the book was in the validation chest in GT. I guess the third thing was bow on the left side of swamp, but whatever, that's basically standard.

• Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular

It was stupid in execution, but that's honestly a fairly impressive idea for the time. I'm seeing it as a very very rough precursor to the Wii. MotionMinus?

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    Oh man todays Ben Vs Hippo match.

Hippo did it again, he did another play that Ben didn't and it was where a key item was, bye bye ben.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    And the two time defending champion is out. Makes Christos the favorite, I'd say.

• Options
    PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    Alright, so finally actually did the damn randomizer myself, and despite absolutely horrific execution, I finished with a time of 2:39:41. Many, many mistakes were made, but not atrocious for my first attempt. I need a better controller for one thing, but:

1) Don't forget that Mire is a pendant, dummy.
    2) Six heart green mail Thieves' Town is one thing when you're good at the game, when you're not it cost me a couple deaths.
    3) Died to Trinex (oops)
    4) Many, many tricks I have to learn, though some are pretty forgiving like the hookshot/dash speed thingy.

It was a pretty generous seed to be honest, two real tricks to it. First was Ice Rod on green pendant (Ice Palace), so I double dipped Turtle Rock which is never fun. The other was it gave me both gloves, mirror, and flute super early but no moon pearl, so I went right into Desert via the mirror. Which was where Moon Pearl was. And that was definitely intended because the book was in the validation chest in GT. I guess the third thing was bow on the left side of swamp, but whatever, that's basically standard.

I've been doing the nightly races for a while now, it's at 10pm eastern. I can sometimes manage to get into GT before someone finishes

• Options
    And the two time defending champion is out. Makes Christos the favorite, I'd say.

Nah Andy the cheater! I swear he's not the only one who can hover but he's the one who cheats. CHEATING CHEATER!

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    klemming wrote: »

It was stupid in execution, but that's honestly a fairly impressive idea for the time. I'm seeing it as a very very rough precursor to the Wii. MotionMinus?

It is a brilliant idea due to how expensive any other technology would have been to accomplish that at the time.

• Options

I mean yeah, it is absolutely an impressive way to build a piece of tech. Its application though is really ill-conceived. I wouldn't compare it to the Wii Remote. That was infrared. This is more like sonar, and I can't imagine what the delay on it must be like.

• Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular

I mean yeah, it is absolutely an impressive way to build a piece of tech. Its application though is really ill-conceived. I wouldn't compare it to the Wii Remote. That was infrared. This is more like sonar, and I can't imagine what the delay on it must be like.

I wonder if they could have done the glove the same way that graphics tablets detect their pens. They effectively work the same way as the power glove does, except instead of detecting doppler effects of soundwaves, they transmit RF signals that are picked up by 3 or more RF receivers and use the timing difference between them to triangulate. Pens don't work from very far away from the tablets, but that is because the pen is passively powered by a transducer underneath the tablet surface. The power glove is powered, so I would think it would work pretty well.

• Options
    LD50 wrote: »

I wonder if they could have done the glove the same way that graphics tablets detect their pens. They effectively work the same way as the power glove does, except instead of detecting doppler effects of soundwaves, they transmit RF signals that are picked up by 3 or more RF receivers and use the timing difference between them to triangulate. Pens don't work from very far away from the tablets, but that is because the pen is passively powered by a transducer underneath the tablet surface. The power glove is powered, so I would think it would work pretty well.
    It's all moot because we have the Microsoft Kinect now! :rotate:

• Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular

I mean I can imagine, if I did this math right it seems like it'd be about 0.003 seconds of delay per meter

• Options

It's all moot because we have the Microsoft Kinect now! :rotate:

You mean a wiimote working in reverse?

• Options

Back then the precision required to detect RF delay would have been prohibitively expensive, whereas audio takes milliseconds or at most microseconds to go somewhere. For RF at the same scale you're talking nanoseconds

• Options
    Munkus BeaverMunkus Beaver You don't have to attend every argument you are invited to. Philosophy: Stoicism. Politics: Democratic SocialistRegistered User, ClubPA regular

Oh yeah. He tech that the prototype was built on cost like, ten thousand bucks and was super responsive.

They just had to turn it into something they could make for like thirty bucks and sell for a profit.

Humor can be dissected as a frog can, but dies in the process.
  • Options
    There's a reason why I get more hyped for SGDQ (raising money for MSF). This is their response, posted like just now, to news about the US and Mexico talking about border stuff:

This is a terrible idea. Plenty of evidence at our clinics along the migration route that #Mexico is not a safe country for refugees. We are treating victims of torture, abuse, sexual assault…
    Any deal to block Central Americans fleeing violence from seeking asylum in the #US would endanger the lives of thousands of vulnerable people. #Mexico is not a safe country for refugees.

• Options
    g3rd0 to the round of 8 because his opponent ran out of magic on Trinex and had to leave TR. asazas had a lead of maybe 3/4 of Turtle Rock at the time he had to bail.

• Options
    g3rd0 to the round of 8 because his opponent ran out of magic on Trinex and had to leave TR. asazas had a lead of maybe 3/4 of Turtle Rock at the time he had to bail.

Its ok Hippo and his horse shoe enchanted ass is going to win.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Alucard and Gesellschaft calling Christos vs. Furaime on SG2. That's a really solid combination who makes this way better. Probably two of the three best (with Willard).

• Options
    Man this run is not going well at all for.

Furaime good lord christos had that hippo luck.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    IanatorIanator Gaze upon my works, ye mighty and facepalm.Registered User regular
    I can't stop watching Celeste races

send help

steam_sig.png
    Twitch | Blizzard: Ianator#1479 | 3DS: Ianator - 1779 2336 5317 | FFXIV: Iana Ateliere (NA Sarg)
    Backlog Challenge List
  • Options
    Ianator wrote: »
    I can't stop watching Celeste races

send help

Hey, I think you left the oven on.

• Options
    I am really bad at silverless Ganon. Would have managed like a 1:40 if I could do it well at all.

• Options
    From 2:40 to1:40 in two days? Impressive

This discussion has been closed.