As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Games Done Quick: See You Next Mission

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Kipling wrote: »
    klemming wrote: »
    Preacher wrote: »
    hippo once again pulls the bow out of a relatively out of the way location 10 minutes before his opponent and wins game one against g3rd0 in the quarters.

You know at this point I hope he's not cheating. Like duder has been abnormally lucky to the point of like db sweeny level...

I don't know their relative skills but if I were playing in this, I'd be taking risks on all of the out of the way locations, because if the items were in the easy to find spots I'd assume I'd get beat on execution.

Right, but that's been the case for hippo since the round of 32 and he keeps winning. Statistically that's starting to get actually weird.

I watched the last one and timed it. He left Swamp, had completed Desert Palace already. If you decide between the desert tablet and the pyramid bomb, your options are:

30 seconds to check tablet for one item (30 s per item) and is difficult to get back to
    OR
    90 seconds to pyramid for two items (45 s per item) and is relatively easy to get to

He seems to be better at choosing how to get information, which leads to choices that end up getting him the information and items he needs.

I forget if he had done south of grove, but I know he hadn't done dwarfs/hammer pegs/purple chest and working Bombos in at the end of those is the most efficient route.

Couldn't watch today because I'm flying to Boston, but he won again and is in the Final Four. It's kind of fascinating.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    I've been trying to learn the speedrun for Shantae HGH (any% glitchless) and I've gotta say, it's harder than it looks. Specifically Tassel Town, which is way more cycle-based platforming than I was thinking at first. I already knew how important cycles are to make for any game really but this first hand experience is really teaching me how much more crucial and tight it can end up being.

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Oh crap, so GPB was trying Mario 3 with the power glove again. It was looking really bad at the start so I ended up bailing on the stream. But then this happened:

• Options
    edited July 2018
    *busts through the door like Mouse in the Matrix*

Spikevegeta and iateyourpie are racing Ocarina of Time Randomizer, Skullsanity.

Henroid on
  • Options
    Henroid wrote: »

Watching that is genuine madness, btw. I've tried. It's just too long and the logic is not as clean as LttP

• Options

Watching that is genuine madness, btw. I've tried. It's just too long and the logic is not as clean as LttP
    Literally the first chest opened was a skull token and everyone had this collective "oh this is gonna be GOOD" reaction.

I'm sure in five hours we'll be going insane.

• Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    Is there a combined vod anywhere, or something...?

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular

There's a YouTube playlist on the official GDQ channel that will just automatically play the whole marathon in a row for you

• Options
    I meant for this skullsanity thing.

• Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    200k! You know what they say, damn Preacher do you like live on the forums?

Do you need help? Is there someone we can call? Look, someone get him a blanket, a cookie, and absolutely zero net access for at least two days...

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    I meant for this skullsanity thing.

Oh, maybe try checking the channel's archived broadcasts?

• Options
    No, there is not, nor do they communicate with each other during most of the race (only once in a while). They often talk to their chats about their strategy / thoughts so they only sometimes check in with each other.

• Options
    Christosowen is doing a keysanity, skullsanity ZOOT seed where Zelda's Lullaby is behind the three pendant thingies. So this is going to be like 9 hours.

• Options
    The OoT Rando devs added a one-hit-KO mode to it. Two bugs came up. First was the guards discovering you in Hyrule castle would get you killed, but that was patched by the evening. The other was the ice trap treasure chests. They were soft-locking the game, so they got disabled. Note; the problem wasn't the ice trap chests killing you, it's that they were soft-locking the game. I'm sure once they figure that out, they will re-enable them.

• Options
    Has anyone made a Majoras Mask randomizer? I feel like that could have potential.

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Has anyone made a Majoras Mask randomizer? I feel like that could have potential.

Random masks alone could be fun, though you'd need to be careful about what combinations lock you out of things.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    It exists but is very much in development last I heard, making sure things work out logically / the game is possible to beat.

• Options
    PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    I've been considering trying to make a lttp / oot crossover through emulator trickery

• Options
    BlueBlueBlueBlue Registered User regular
    Here's the cross-game overlap to go for imo:

CD World Tour status:
    Baidol Voprostein Avraham Thetheroo Taya Zerofill Effef Crimson King Lalabox Mortal Sky ASimPerson Sal Wiet Theidar Tynic Speed Racer Neotoma Goatmon ==>Larlar Munkus Beaver Day of the Bear miscellaneousinsanity Skull Man Delzhand Caulk Bite 6 Somestickguy
  • Options
    Tomorrow spikevegeta and usedpizza will be racing(?) Super Mario Sunshine.

Chaos Edition.

• Options
    I was also considering incorporating Z1 but the randomizer and rom code doesn't appear to be available

• Options
    There keeping being rumors of a 2D Zelda randomizer marathon race where people have to do the first three and maybe LA too.

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Breath of the Wild randomizer. That would just be a normal any % though wouldn't it?

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    Andy vs. zero game 4 just started.

• Options
    FryFry Registered User regular
    Is there a Zelda 2 randomizer yet? That sounds like a special kind of hell.

• Options
    Fry wrote: »

There is. It's rough.

• Options

There is. It's rough.
    How does it even work?

• Options
    edited July 2018

There is. It's rough.
    How does it even work?

Spells and progression items like the hammer are randomized. I think with the p bags and everything. I haven't watched any of them very closely.

WillardJBradley did at least one last night.

He also completed a WW randomizer in 13.5 hours.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    RamiRami Registered User regular
    Randomisers are the battle royal of speed running it seems.

How long until MP Echoes is randomised, but the dark world is replaced with randomised Twilight Princess?

Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • Options
    Rami wrote: »
    Randomisers are the battle royal of speed running it seems.

How long until MP Echoes is randomised, but the dark world is replaced with randomised Twilight Princess?

They're really just more interesting. You can pick them up and be somewhat competitive, unlike normal speedrunning where if you can't do every glitch first try you have no hope. Plus, you're not playing the exact same thing over and over, trying to optimize everything down to the frame. I would never do lttp speedruns, but randomizer is super fun to play

• Options
    Andy finally gets out of top 16. zerorush died to Moldorm and Mothula twice and then decided he needed to gamble on pendant Turtle Rock, which had nothing.

• Options
    Moldorm deaths are entirely avoidable. Take 5 seconds to hit the switch and open up some of the 12 hearts just before the stairs instead of going in with 1 heart

• Options
    The European Speedrunner Assembly Summer 2018 began about an hour and a half ago

https://esamarathon.com/schedule
    http://twitch.tv/esamarathon

• Options
    I was out so didn't catch it live, but Christos and Kyong had a great game 2 looks like. 6 second difference. VOD is here:

• Options
    OK, finally watched.
    Kyong92 lets ChristosOwen off the mat. Had him beat and did the post-Ganon fall in top 8 when he had the win to advance to the final four.

• Options
    IanatorIanator Gaze upon my works, ye mighty and facepalm.Registered User regular
    ESA:

That was a good KH3D HD run. Either they discovered some new things in the last couple of months or the execution was just far more spot-on than the races I've been watching.

...Oh, and I apparently missed a Dawn of War: Dark Crusade run. Guess I'll have to catch the VOD.

steam_sig.png
    Twitch | Blizzard: Ianator#1479 | 3DS: Ianator - 1779 2336 5317 | FFXIV: Iana Ateliere (NA Sarg)
    Backlog Challenge List
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    We've got semifinals:

hippo vs. Christosowen
    PinkKittyRose vs. Andy

Both semis have an established LTTP power and an upstart. Christos is a slightly better randomizer player than Andy. They're probably the favorites in both matches, but hippo and PKR have been knocking out a murderer's row of opponents to get here.

EDIT: PKR is I think the first woman in the quarters, maybe the round of 16, so that's kinda neat. I'd have to double check Gesellschaft's finishes.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    edited July 2018
    TheMexicanRunner doing Turbo Tunnel in 'Battletoads', blind-folded, was the most amazing thing to catch live this week. The crowd went wild! :D
    ESA should get just as many donations as GDQ, very surprising to see them only just hittting $40k+ as of now. The event seems just as big as GDQ in terms of attendees.

Edit: Found the VOD:

Zilla360 on
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    Willard is doing a dumb thing: 1 controller, 2 randos.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    Games 1 and 2 of the first semifinal between Andy and PinkKittyRose are starting momentarily.

This discussion has been closed.