Options

[The Elder Scrolls] Stolen? No! This one found this thread by the side of the road.

• Options
    Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    The stamina regen is quite nice if you have fast travel turned off.

• Options
    NyysjanNyysjan FinlandRegistered User regular
    I think it would make sense for elven gear be better than orcish gear.
    Simply because elves have far greater resources and infrastructure.
    Orcs in general live in smal clan strongholds, while elves have a strong, millenia old nation.
    Orcs gear will, usually, be made by a individual artisans of varying skills at a small forges of varying quality, elves can have factories, great foundries and forges to produce steady streams of gear that is both superrior, and more consistent in quality, than orcish equivalent.

There may also be cultural reasons, orcs are big and strong and value these things, many orcs might scoff at lightweight armor, no matter how superrior it might be.
    But then it's not like there are no orcs using non orcish gear, or that orc smiths can't make non orc weapons and armor.

• Options
    Lucid_SeraphLucid_Seraph TealDeer MarylandRegistered User regular
    Nyysjan wrote: »
    Orcs in general live in smal clan strongholds, while elves have a strong, millenia old nation.
    Orcs gear will, usually, be made by a individual artisans of varying skills at a small forges of varying quality, elves can have factories, great foundries and forges to produce steady streams of gear that is both superrior, and more consistent in quality, than orcish equivalent.

There may also be cultural reasons, orcs are big and strong and value these things, many orcs might scoff at lightweight armor, no matter how superrior it might be.
    But then it's not like there are no orcs using non orcish gear, or that orc smiths can't make non orc weapons and armor.

Er...

Orcs do have a smithing tradition that is exactly as old as the High Elves (which is to whom I think you're referring, since the Dunmer and Bosmer use completely different materials). There's even a "factory" like you mention in the Orsinium DLC ( https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Online:The_Hand_of_Morkul ). And they used to have huge cities, which were just as old as those of the High Elves. In the same DLC, the rebuilt Orsinium has a H U G E forge building that has gigantic waterwheel powered bellows.

The real problem is more that various people (Bretons, Redguards, Imperials, High Elves, Nords, Reachmen, idefk) keep coming in and blowing their country every few hundred years or so. I actually lost count of the number of times its been destroyed and rebuilt. But the orcs maintain a strong oral tradition despite that, and every time they get a chance, they re-build their forges and cities.

So... if anything, the biggest reason why orcish crafts wouldn't be quite as good as high elven is that they keep getting blown the fuck up. If the orcs were allowed to keep a city around for more than like, a hundred years, they'd probably surpass anything the High Elves have ever done.

• Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    Just a weird little thought.

In Skyrim at least, elven gear is better than orcish gear. There's a difference because elven is light and orcish is heavy, but it's better defense in spite of being light, and better damage. This is carried through into Elder Scrolls Blades which prompted the thought, all gear comes in tiers and orcish is a few tiers below elven.

A big part of the Thalmor and their goals, and haughty elves in general, is that they consider themselves better and purer than the lesser races. Why is there actual mechanical evidence in the game that this is true?! I mean, orcs live for combat and strength and battle, it's their whole lives. Why isn't their equipment better than elven? The elves are all delicate and make their gear seemingly as much for aesthetic reasons as for combat.

The relative strength of different styles of gear has varied a lot between games. Orcish weapons were really good in Morrowind statwise but also only available in a few weapon types. Armor was a bit weird though as it was medium armor which never was quite as good as light or heavy armor.

As for lore things, keep in mind that traditionally only orc women do the smithing. It's not something the men consider worthy of their time so it's not something that gets as much respect as it would in other societies. And since they never have gotten organized for long, there's not a ton of knowledge sharing going on or serious testing in wars. Orc smiths are valued by the Legion but from what I can gather it's not necessarily for making traditional orcish equipment so much as both having the basics of smithing already and being really good workers able to deal with spartan conditions who are glad to have left the clans behind.

And while orcs value battle, that doesn't necessarily mean they're super great at it. They're physically hardy but no known for strategy or tactics or even being able to maintain a functional society. Doing the Orsinium quests in ESO just made me think "I can totally understand why this city state would implode and be gone by the time of the Third Era." That's not a great formula for doing the logistics of battle well which includes supplying soldiers or doing the metallurgical research for better equipment.

As for the elven gear, there's a book that basically states that the circulation of it on non-Summerset areas pre-Thalmor incursions was largely due to a slave spreading knowledge of it as an FU to the High Elves. It's good craftsmanship but having it be used by non-elves or even non-Summerset native elves is a huge burn to the Thalmor.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    The elves need the superior armor to make up for their inferior selves.

• Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    I always thought Glass was technically the Dunmer racial material.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited April 2019
    Brody wrote: »

The crafting style seems very elven -- I mean, like "elven" gear, with everything having a look like feathers or leaves. Dunmer are elves, but their traditional style seems like it would be very tribal. Glass gear has a look like it was made by altmer to me.

And I know they once were more fair and might've been considered higher-than-high elves, and it could date from that time. But it doesn't match most of the earthy, tribal feel of Morrowind.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    Brody wrote: »

Dunmer have a particular style for glass gear but aren't the only elves that work it. Some of the fluff suggests that the kind of glass we see in Oblivion and Skyrim is High Elf styled glass.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    In more random mod release news, a new weather mod which looks quite promising:

https://www.reddit.com/r/skyrimmods/comments/b9nz0d/so_ive_spent_the_past_few_months_working_on/

Important bullets:
    The first xEdit script randomized sunlight and sky colors within a range of plausible hue, saturation, and luminosity values. The second xEdit script took the colors of the sunlight and sky and then calculated all other values in accordance. The major benefit is that the lighting of the world is very natural. The environment fades using information from the sky to accurately reproduce Rayleigh atmospheric scattering of light.3, 4 The color of clouds, mountain fogs, smoke, water, grass, and indirect lighting were all calculated based off of the sunlight and sky. The variety is unprecedented.
    At times, I recycled values from Obsidian, because damn that shit was nice. For many weathers though, I created new sunset textures5, because why not, let's ball out. I also discovered how to create a new effect which illuminates the entire western or eastern sky during sunset or sunrise respectively6.

I could see this thing becoming the new standard over Obsidian if it delivers on all that promise.

• Options
    Doing dragonborn now, damn that sleep teleport thing is annoying.

• Options

Yeah - I didn't realize how irritating it was until this time and I was using iNeed so sleeping was actually...you know...a thing. Especially because like
    The inn in Raven Rock doesn't send you to the Earth Stone or whatever the one next to town is, but rather one of the ones across the entire island?

Should become less of a thing as the questline moves on, though.

• Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    edited April 2019
    Its random where you end up.

Goumindong on
    wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    I'm thinking about going back through Skyrim and doing a big mod overhaul. Is there like, an updated 2019 list somewhere that shows you all the immersion and graphics mods that work together?

I know I've had issues in the past where some mods would break others or just flat out not work. Specifically the better water mods and immersive arms and armour mods would never work for me.

• Options
    Juggernut wrote: »
    I'm thinking about going back through Skyrim and doing a big mod overhaul. Is there like, an updated 2019 list somewhere that shows you all the immersion and graphics mods that work together?

I know I've had issues in the past where some mods would break others or just flat out not work. Specifically the better water mods and immersive arms and armour mods would never work for me.

Legendary Edition or Special Edition?

SSE lists which I see tossed around the most: Nordic Skyrim, Phoenix Flavour, Lexy's LOTD.

Legendary Edition I've not looked into as much, but there's youtube guides and stuff I've seen like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YoZnvTyg7C8&t=6s

Which contain mod lists. Alternatively, nexus has a section where people can upload their own modlist guides here

• Options
    Jragghen wrote: »

Yeah - I didn't realize how irritating it was until this time and I was using iNeed so sleeping was actually...you know...a thing. Especially because like
    The inn in Raven Rock doesn't send you to the Earth Stone or whatever the one next to town is, but rather one of the ones across the entire island?

Should become less of a thing as the questline moves on, though.

Yeah I was playing with cc survival and had the same issue - I went to the inn, couldn’t find the food guy and so figured I would just go ahead and sleep - woke up at Mirak’s temple, only I never got a chance to buy food...

• Options
    Jragghen wrote: »
    Juggernut wrote: »

Legendary Edition or Special Edition?

SSE lists which I see tossed around the most: Nordic Skyrim, Phoenix Flavour, Lexy's LOTD.

Legendary Edition I've not looked into as much, but there's youtube guides and stuff I've seen like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YoZnvTyg7C8&t=6s

Which contain mod lists. Alternatively, nexus has a section where people can upload their own modlist guides here

I don't actually remember which version I have. Its been a while. I'll check these out tho.

Basically I just want the game to be as immersive as possible and look as pretty as I can realistically get it since ES 6 doesn't seem to be coming anytime this eon. Gotta scratch the itch.

• Options
    They just opened up Elder Scrolls Blades to everyone to play in early access, just have to log into your Bethesda account. Not sure if you need to log in here or not, but yeah, it's open to everyone now.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    I'm getting an error whenever I hit create account.

• Options
    chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular

Er...

Orcs do have a smithing tradition that is exactly as old as the High Elves (which is to whom I think you're referring, since the Dunmer and Bosmer use completely different materials). There's even a "factory" like you mention in the Orsinium DLC ( https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Online:The_Hand_of_Morkul ). And they used to have huge cities, which were just as old as those of the High Elves. In the same DLC, the rebuilt Orsinium has a H U G E forge building that has gigantic waterwheel powered bellows.

The real problem is more that various people (Bretons, Redguards, Imperials, High Elves, Nords, Reachmen, idefk) keep coming in and blowing their country every few hundred years or so. I actually lost count of the number of times its been destroyed and rebuilt. But the orcs maintain a strong oral tradition despite that, and every time they get a chance, they re-build their forges and cities.

So... if anything, the biggest reason why orcish crafts wouldn't be quite as good as high elven is that they keep getting blown the fuck up. If the orcs were allowed to keep a city around for more than like, a hundred years, they'd probably surpass anything the High Elves have ever done.

Up. Blowing their country up every few hundred years.

At least, I think that's what you mean. This ain't that part of the internet.

• Options
    Blades is... maybe i suck... but really hard with ridiculous difficulty spikes on different enemies.

Alternately spells are just plain terrible and so is anything but light weapons and shields.

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    Spells are not very good but they are quick sources of elemental damage when you might not be carrying any weapons enchanted with it. The healing ward one is pretty good, and blizzard armor looks very good, though I don't have it yet. Casts instantly and lasts until it breaks, take half damage while frosting the enemy.

Light weapons are the highest DPS in the game and really fun to use and combo. I have a highly tempered dwarven light hammer, fire enchanted, which is a BEAST and is the perfect thing for dealing with trolls (dual weakness).

However, light weapons have lower durability due to their small size, and they lose durability faster because you attack with them faster, so you have to repair them much more often which is expensive. I played a lot of the early game very effectively with a frost two handed warhammer.

Definitely take advantage of enemy weaknesses. Every time you can, look at what the challenges are and try to do them early on in the abyss while naked, so you incur very little repair cost. Like for example "do 5 hit combos," just use a basic iron dagger on floor 5. Easy way to collect a good amount of cash every hour.

• Options
    NyysjanNyysjan FinlandRegistered User regular

Er...

I don't think you are realy disagreeing with me.
    High elves have infrastructure and more or less unmolested nation millenia old.
    Orcs live in small enclaves because everytime they want to build a nation others come and burn it down.

Other races in general have better capacity to build their infrastructure up so they can make better, more consistent quality gear than orcs who live in small enclaves in the middle of wilderness.

• Options
    edited April 2019
    Hrm, I don’t know how I feel about dragonborn so far. There’s a lot of morrowind fanservice but it hasn’t really grabbed me much.

I haven’t
    gone to see the Telvanni wizard guy
    yet though so maybe that will be more fun.

It doesn’t help that I ran into two draugr dungeons right to start (the Miraak temple and the mine quest in Raven Rock).

I am also disappointed that there isn’t an Enclave Power armor suit buried under Raven Rock somewhere as an easter egg.

Jealous Deva on
  • Options
    I am also disappointed that there isn’t an Enclave Power armor suit buried under Raven Rock somewhere as an easter egg.

:o

• Options
    I went into Blades having no clue what it was about but it's actually kinda fun. I generally hate the design of mobile games and this has a lot mobile game bs but eh... it's a fun little distraction for the moment so that's saying something.

But damn if it doesn't make me want to just play Skyrim again. Gotta get through this work weekend.

• Options
    Dragonborn seems a lot more fun now that I opened up the world a bit and explored some (and got rid of those damn sleep teleport shrine things).

Also finding out that the leader of the Skaal village would let you sleep in her bed after doing a radiant quest for her didn’t hurt either as that saves a ton of walking for survival.

• Options
    My Skyrim save is kinda groaning under its weight at this point - saving is taking noticably longer and I'm occasionally getting CTDs. This was a very script-heavy run, so I'm not surprised (and I've gotten a TOOOON done - character is almost level 70), but I still didn't hit up all the stuff I was originally planning on. But when I'm regularly getting things like "iNeed no longer recognizes bread as food," something is going definitely going wrong under the hood.

I'm going to take a break, then really go through the nexus archives and see what other crap I can find. I feel the itch to play other games, but I'm still thinking heavily about a bunch of mods I've seen since I started playing this one, so I could see myself back in here to see how the lay of the land has changed in a few months, give or take.

Actually did Clockwork this time around. That was pretty neat, although the main chamber was almost TOO big - hard to keep track of everywhere you could go.

• Options
    Hrm, wrapped up Dragonborn.

I was pretty amazed that they stuck a Zelda style water temple in there.

I feel like everything in the expansion not related to miraak was great, and the stuff directly related to Miraak was bad. He was a lame villian, and the black books reminded me of oblivion gates which is not a good thing at all.

The terrain and island layout was nice (although the northen part of the island doesn’t play very well with survival mods, but that isn’t really their fault.) and running around questing for Raven Rock, Neloth, and Skaal was pretty fun.

• Options
    Silver chests are down to an hour in blades and like... that might even be worse. At 3 hours you only need to log in a few times a day to clean. At 1 you would log in 10+. I know that you can always just wait to log on but brains dont work like that

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular

Skyrim's Smithing skill would most likely render Fallout-style power armor completely worthless for combat, but it could still be a neat cosmetic. Unless you could use Smithing on the power armor, at which point you would start breaking worlds.

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    pffft, Smithing starts breaking worlds long before that.

• Options
    Lucid_SeraphLucid_Seraph TealDeer MarylandRegistered User regular

/laughs in Alchemy

/cries bc I miss Morrowind Alchemy tho
    THAT ONE TIME, in MORROWIND, I had made Potions of Ludicrous Speed (SPEED +2,147,483,647 or something fucking stupid; whatever the limit of the variable actually was, & Potions of Fucking Swole, & in a panic when Hircine came for me in Bloodmoon, I drank

uh.

A few.

I proceeded to clip through the entire planet and go straight past CHIM into apotheosis & nirvana, by which I mean my computer crashed

Note that NONE of this involved console commands or other such tomfoolery; you could just Do That in Morrowind by knowing how to stack various sources of ++ Alchemy Skill appropriately.

• Options
    Goumindong wrote: »
    Silver chests are down to an hour in blades and like... that might even be worse. At 3 hours you only need to log in a few times a day to clean. At 1 you would log in 10+. I know that you can always just wait to log on but brains dont work like that

Yes but I believe the rewards are the same. Gold, gems, type of items, especially the copper. It's 3x the materials you were getting before. However they also say they added wood chests as a chest reward to the job rotations, perhaps as a balancing factor, no longer getting a silver chest with every job.

That's gotta throw off their numbers in terms of how quickly players will make progress through the game.

• Options
    I dont think it will (that much) because i dont think players can actually open one chest per hour.

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular

It's a good thing Skyrim doesn't try to simulate an actual economy or the constant flood of gold rings would have crashed that economy Mansa Musa-style.

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular

/laughs in Alchemy

/cries bc I miss Morrowind Alchemy tho
    THAT ONE TIME, in MORROWIND, I had made Potions of Ludicrous Speed (SPEED +2,147,483,647 or something fucking stupid; whatever the limit of the variable actually was, & Potions of Fucking Swole, & in a panic when Hircine came for me in Bloodmoon, I drank

uh.

A few.

I proceeded to clip through the entire planet and go straight past CHIM into apotheosis & nirvana, by which I mean my computer crashed

Note that NONE of this involved console commands or other such tomfoolery; you could just Do That in Morrowind by knowing how to stack various sources of ++ Alchemy Skill appropriately.

Ha. Now you have reminded me of (and thus, must hear) the Tale of Gaenor the Lucky.
    During the Nerevarine's time in the city of Mournhold, he met a young Wood Elf named Gaenor. Gaenor fancied himself an adventurer and was about to set out into the wilderness, and begged the Nerevarine for a boon. Any man's charity has limits, however, and as the Bosmer's demands grew ever more insistent and unreasonable, the Nerevarine was at last forced to refuse him. Enraged - for it is well known that Bosmer are the least civilized of all mer, eating the flesh of their own kind among other savage customs - Gaenor rebuked the Nerevarine and departed.

Now, while most mortals have good luck and bad in equal measure, there are those rare few who only seem to possess one kind; for them, good luck follows good or bad follows bad. Gaenor was one of these, and not the miserable sort either: he was already known to some as "Gaenor the Lucky". His meeting with the Nerevarine might have been another blessing, if not for his pride... but his good fortune had already begun to twist him, making him expect such as his due.

After only a week of delving into caves, tombs and dwemer ruins, Gaenor had found a fair pile of treasure. He plowed most of this right back into improving his luck even further, buying every ring, amulet, or other charm he could find. At the end of a month, he fairly glowed with enchantment and seemed invincible: neither blade nor spell could touch him, foes blundered into each other or tripped over their own feet, and ancient dwemer guardians chose that moment to break down and fall apart. Bags of coin and other valuables turned up in chests, urns, or even landed right in his lap. Gaenor decided that it was time to repay all those who had wronged him, starting with the Nerevarine himself.

But the Nerevarine had received a prophetic vision of their next encounter, and had made preparations of his own. Through cunning alchemy, he had brewed a large batch of potions to fortify his luck; when taken all together, they would lift it to the same dizzying heights as Gaenor's, and even beyond.

On the fated morning, Gaenor - now clad head to toe in shining ebony armor - saw the Nerevarine across one of Mournhold's plazas and charged, howling Bosmer curses. The Nerevarine, who had quaffed his potions only minutes before, calmly drew his own weapon and stood ready. When they met and struck at each other, there was an eye-twisting moment of discontinuity (much like some accounts of the Miracle of Peace, also known as "The Warp in the West") and then Gaenor simply exploded, pieces of his armor flying in every direction. His helmet rolled to a stop at the Nerevarine's feet.

So it was that Gaenor the Lucky finally met his match, and he and his good luck both came to an end.

• Options

It's a good thing Skyrim doesn't try to simulate an actual economy or the constant flood of gold rings would have crashed that economy Mansa Musa-style.

Honestly I would assume any historical economy would look a lot different if you could transmute iron and silver to gold with a bit of minimal magic training.

• Options

Honestly I would assume any historical economy would look a lot different if you could transmute iron and silver to gold with a bit of minimal magic training.

However! The world is one full of war and combat, with a necessity for iron weapons and armor, and you will note there is no spell to transmute gold to iron. Just changes what is most valuable. :P

• Options
    edited April 2019

However! The world is one full of war and combat, with a necessity for iron weapons and armor, and you will note there is no spell to transmute gold to iron. Just changes what is most valuable. :P

Now that I think about it, an apple pie or steak dinner is like 15 gold pieces in game... A 1 oz gold piece in the real world is worth about $1200... So yeah you may be right.

A big ingot of gold is only worth about the same as 7 or 8 similarly sized pieces of iron...

Jealous Deva on
  • Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular

Iron is absolutely more valuable, because I need it to make nails and door hinges for my bomb-ass mansions spread all over the province of Skyrim.