Options

[The Elder Scrolls] Stolen? No! This one found this thread by the side of the road.

• Options
    Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    So I have to say that I dig the shit out of elsewyr now in ESO, and really wish they would do a full Elder Scrolls game or expansion there.

• Options
    ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular
    So I have to say that I dig the shit out of elsewyr now in ESO, and really wish they would do a full Elder Scrolls game or expansion there.

I've never played ESO, but Elsewyr and the Black Marsh are the two locations I really want them to explore in an ES game.

Twitch: Thawmus83
  • Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    Jragghen wrote: »
    So. Perk trees in Skyrim.

It's one of the more common ways to change your game, but can also really break it badly. The most common replacer I've seen used is Ordinator, which does a ton of things I love, but also a bunch of things that irritate the hell out of me. I still tend to use it, but I ignore the perks that annoy me.

Well, EnaiSiaion (who's actually done a ton of mods you might have used - Ordinator, Andromeda, Sacrosanct, Summermyst, Wildcat, Imperious, Thunderchild, Apocalypse, Wintersun...hell, you may have used ALL of them) is doing a kinda "midway between Vanilla and Ordinator" perk thing right now, and over on his patreon you can see the lists as they're released:

https://www.patreon.com/EnaiSiaion/posts

It's posted the magic ones, as well as Archery and Smithing, and I'm really liking how this one is shaping up. It's sounding like this may be his last large overhaul mod (sounds like he's in college and about to enter the workforce), so might be worth keeping an eye on.

Just released, FYI

https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/26176/
    https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/95938/

• Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    Heh, I've been holding off on doing two main quests in Blades because they were marked with 5 skull markers, and I've had trouble with 3-skull quests. Today an update went live that promised more accurate skull ratings; those two quests are now rated with two skulls. I went in there and just rolled over everyone.

• Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    I got a notification that there were a bunch of updates, but now the app won't let me log in to my bethesda account.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    There also seem to be problems with kil x jobs not spawning enough targets to complete the quest.

Updates went through though. Jewelry and some more quests

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    So in my ongoing "I wonder what mods there are" obsession, I found someone who's undertaken an even more insane task.

https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/9649

This person is posting image comparisons of texture mods. Scroll down to see what's included.

So if any of you are insane enough to want to pick-and-choose your textures: this person's got you covered, for a LOT of stuff.

• Options
    Hey maybe don't stay at that hotel if you're planning on betraying your king with poisoned candles/poisoned robes/poisoned invocations and then using incomprehensible artifacts to take control of a divine heart and achieve apotheosis.

Just a heads-up.

• Options
    But ultimately you do you, it'll probably work out OK for several millennia at least.

• Options
    Goumindong wrote: »
    Worthwhile spells: absorb, Blizzard armor, poison cloud.

Maybe: Paralyze, ward, absorb elements.

Absorb lets you turn hits into HP. Most hits if you have a decent set of armor will be under the block value making it a net HP increase.

Blizzard armor: it slows enemies, reduces damage, and is instant cast. Big bonuses here.

Poison Cloud: highest base damage spell in the game dealing 130 damage (my being a cat* may modify this). Youre almost certainly going to get +poison damage skill because the +HP regen skill is up there too and this applies to every tick. Bringing damage to 175. Enemies which resist reduce damage by a flat amount per tick but enemies weak increase by a flat amount per tick...

Why Poison cloud and not the fire or ice spells that also do DoT? Cloud is not interrupted once its cast. In order to do full damagw with the fire and ice spells you need 5 seconds of not being attacked. In order to damage with cloud you need .75.

Additionally damage atacks with poisions and can induce the poison condition for more stacking damage (effected by all your +poison damage mods)

Worthwhile abilities: staggering bash, guard breaker, adrenaline dodge, all of the strike skills.

Staggering bash blocks an attack and stuns if they dont block. Which they probably wont since your blocking. Requires a shield.

Guard breaker does extra damage and stuns if they block... so if they dont you get a really good wallop in and if they do you stun them.

Adrenaline dodge turns stamina into HP and avoids an attack. Which is nice. Rest of the line is eh because it costs too much stamina when you could just combo.

Quick strikes tree is good because its just loads of extra damage. Basically requires a light weapon though. So if youre versatile you may be out of luck.

Worthwhile perks: all of them. But particularly augmented Frost (more damage on armor), advanced tempering, matching set, and healing surge.

*Jzargo II. I have best name, suck it rest of the world

@Goumindong do you suggest using shield? What's the best weapon type?

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

• Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    I like shields because it's one extra enchanted item you have equipped.

There is no best weapon, it completely depends on what you are fighting and what it's weak to. You don't want to pick one and use it always, have several on hand and switch as necessary, might be ok to pick one per mission as long as at least one enemy is weak to it.

Since they have greatly improved repair costs, I am a big fan of small weapons that strike quickly, in as high equipment tier as possible, element enchanted to kill an enemy also weak to that type of damage.

For example, I have a fire enchanted light hammer that absolutely TEARS UP all trolls. They are weak to both bashing and fire. And and in spite of what I just said, it feels like a good weapon for general use too. But it loses durability super quick because you're attacking with it a lot.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    I don't use a shield because i don't like shields. I also don't block a lot for a variety of reasons so don't get a lot of value out of them(not going to bother to fish for good secondary enchants on a shield)

Whether or not you should use a shield probably depends on what weapon you want to use. If you want to use light weapons obviously use a shield, no downside. If you want to use two handers well.. obviously don't. I would generally two-hand versatile weapons unless there was something specific i needed to block and i didn't have a light weapon that paired with the enemy type.

Two Handed Weapons have the weakest enchantment set but they also hit ridiculously hilariously hard. The elemental enchantments do not increase as fast as the attack speed slows down (this might be tempered by a higher crit damage increase but i don't know) and puncturing is worthless because enemies don't block enough and if they do it only matters if they interrupt stun you not if you damage them through their block.

The slower attack speed makes it a lot easier to get crits with two handers. It also makes it slightly easier to not get trolled by a blocking enemy. The best enchantments are probably Stamina or Magica Drain because these scale much better onto two handed weapons comparatively.

Versatile weapons have the strongest enchantment set and probably cap out at the highest DPS of the weapons when used without a shield. This is because weapon DPS scales multiply rather than additionally when you use the agility enchantment. Their elemental damage is OK but agility is probably better all together. If something is weak to your main weapon type you will crush them with an agile weapon and if they're strong versus it won't make a huge difference even if they're weak to an element you have.

Light Weapons have the second strongest enchantment set and work best with the elemental enchantments. They attack fast and do a lot of DPS but are vulnerable to being blocked (as its harder to halt your rhythm)

Main problem with elemental enchants is that there are 12 combinations of weapon/element. So if you want the "best for what i am dealing with" that can change multiple times in a job. If the target is weak to your element its may be strong against your weapon. And changing weapons can be a bore.

In general i use a two hander right now just because the one i have is so much better than my other weapons. Versatile weapons are probably the ideal mixed lategame set because agility means that you need fewer weapons in order to hit enemy weaknesses. (3 instead of 12!). Light weapons are best if you've got a very specific target in mind (like the aforementioned trolls) and also pair well with poison potions simply because double weakness onto the highest DPS is double weakness onto the highest DPS. Certain enemies like trolls are a LOT harder to deal with than others. So having a fire enchanted light hammer is good to deal with them (also for Wispmothers who are weak to fire and strong to all weapons). Shock Daggers are also good options to have around (Ancient Dragon Boss is weak to both). (No clue what the undead dragon is weak to)

@Brody

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    So a new expansion's dropped for Legends: Moons of Elsweyr. It's basically (Pilfer) Khajiit: The Set. And since I quite like Pilfer, I feel inclined to like the set.

However, a lot of these Khajiit are depicted as some kind of lynx/tiger hybrid or even just a totally normal cat. My Elder Scrolls lore knowledge begins and ends with Skyrim, and I don't remember any Khajiit in that game that were just ordinary housecats.

• Options
    NyysjanNyysjan FinlandRegistered User regular
    So a new expansion's dropped for Legends: Moons of Elsweyr. It's basically (Pilfer) Khajiit: The Set. And since I quite like Pilfer, I feel inclined to like the set.

However, a lot of these Khajiit are depicted as some kind of lynx/tiger hybrid or even just a totally normal cat. My Elder Scrolls lore knowledge begins and ends with Skyrim, and I don't remember any Khajiit in that game that were just ordinary housecats.

I don't think the giant tiger/lynx khajiit or normal house cat ones have had much of an appearance in the games, but they have been part of the lore for years.
    The housecat looking ones have even been noted to act as spies, as the khajiit dignitaries gift diplomats with perfectly ordinary housacat.

• Options
    edited June 2019
    Khajiit morphology is buck-wild: https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Lore:Khajiit#Morphology

There are normal cat-lookin' Khajiit with the same sapience as and a greater magical capacity than the humanoid Khajiit.

There are giant four-legged tiger or lynx Khajiit who are used as mounts by the humanoid Khajiit.

EDIT: I see that Elder Scrolls Online has depictions of all these other non-humanoid Khajiit. That's awesome! I wish I had more time to explore ESO.

Delduwath on
  • Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    Cats riding cats.

• Options
    Lucid_SeraphLucid_Seraph TealDeer MarylandRegistered User regular
    Yeah, ESO is the first game to actually put the other Khajiit body types in. I originally thought the whole thing was stupid, and I *still* think the whole "based on what time of month you give birth, your baby could be anything from a giant sabertoothed tiger to basically an elf!" is stupid... but they did a lot of cool stuff with the various shapes and forms in ESO, so, eh.

ESPECIALLY this. This? This was perfect:

https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Online:Skooma_Cat

My only sadness is that they didn't show Mehruzz Ja'khajiit (mehrunes dagon as a kitten, because there's nothing so thoughtlessly destructive as a kitten)

See You Space Cowboy: a ttrpg about sad space bounty hunters
    https://podcast.tidalwavegames.com/
  • Options
    FleebFleeb has all of the fleeb juice Registered User regular
    Oh my god Skywind is looking sexy, new trailer, still no release date

• Options
    ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular
    Holy shit!

Bethesda should find a way to just fund this project. You have to own two games to play it anyways.

Twitch: Thawmus83
  • Options
    They released a full version of the BGM of that too, which is really good:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V2liozIXhJA&feature=youtu.be

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    It's a good performance, but I'm still not sure how I feel about giving "Nerevar Rising" lyrics.

• Options
    edited July 2019
    I legitimately just got chills. Holy shit.

*EDIT* GUYS, THE SILT STRIDER ACTUALLY *MOVES*!

Lucid_Seraph on
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Daaaamn, that Skywind project is looking hot. I just hope they don't get Cease and Desisted with Bethesda's bright and glorious new vision of modding that I'm sure they're still working on.

• Options
    edited July 2019
    Daaaamn, that Skywind project is looking hot. I just hope they don't get Cease and Desisted with Bethesda's bright and glorious new vision of modding that I'm sure they're still working on.

From comments elsewhere:
    Bethesda have addressed the projects and given their blessing in certain conditions, such as no reused assets, no direct profits, and the requirement of a licence to Morrowind/Oblivion in order to play.

So it will probably have something like "has to be released via Steam, and can only be downloaded if the user has both Skyrim and Morrowind in their account" or something?

e: Here's the comment: https://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comments/c7v3dd/skywind_call_of_the_east_trailer_2019/eshrbm1/

Take with as much salt as needed.

Jragghen on
  • Options
    Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    All these years later, that's still in the works? Points for persistence, I guess. Looks cool. Still not convinced it'll ever get released. :lol:

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    It'll be nearly done when TES6 comes out, and then most of the people working on it will jump ship to port Morrowind to that new game's engine.

• Options

Yeah, the video was making me go "Holy shit", and then when that part happened I went "Holy shit".

It's not even that it's so technically impressive, it's just that silt striders are so tied to Morrowind for me, so emblematic, and I'm so used to seeing them just stand there.

I remember walking off that dock into Seyda Neen for the first time, hearing that mournful wail, looking around for the source and just being awed.

• Options
    All these years later, that's still in the works? Points for persistence, I guess. Looks cool. Still not convinced it'll ever get released. :lol:

Honestly? If we get an awesome new music video/trailer every year, I'll take that.

• Options
    Man, I miss Morrowind so bad.

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Jragghen wrote: »

From comments elsewhere:
    Bethesda have addressed the projects and given their blessing in certain conditions, such as no reused assets, no direct profits, and the requirement of a licence to Morrowind/Oblivion in order to play.

So it will probably have something like "has to be released via Steam, and can only be downloaded if the user has both Skyrim and Morrowind in their account" or something?

e: Here's the comment: https://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comments/c7v3dd/skywind_call_of_the_east_trailer_2019/eshrbm1/

Take with as much salt as needed.

I'm honestly surprised that modern Bethesda has openly permitted the project, but those are perfectly reasonable legal requirements to me. I'm curious about the "no reused assets" part since there's no reason to remake all the audio assets unless they can actually be notably improved, but I would gladly pay full retail price to get a modernized Morrowind in the Skyrim engine. Bethesda should've done it themselves years ago, but at least somebody is getting to make it.

• Options
    Delduwath wrote: »

Yeah, the video was making me go "Holy shit", and then when that part happened I went "Holy shit".

It's not even that it's so technically impressive, it's just that silt striders are so tied to Morrowind for me, so emblematic, and I'm so used to seeing them just stand there.

I remember walking off that dock into Seyda Neen for the first time, hearing that mournful wail, looking around for the source and just being awed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KjjKSJFz68s

beautiful insectoid land whales

• Options
    Brody wrote: »

I enjoyed Skyrim plenty but between that setting and Oblivion, the TES games just got way too much into generic fantasy settings. Morrowind may be old as hell now, but the setting damn well felt like some real fantasy. God-kings, floating meteor fortresses, howling wastelands, ash zombies, crazy fungus forests, awesome custom magic, and amazing wildlife. Not to mention the great soundtrack and sounds.

Really really hope this Skywind thing actually gets to release within the next year, I'm dying to replay Morrowind with a modern game engine.

• Options
    ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    Morrowind was a game that I wanted to like so much but simply didn't enjoy. The world, the ideas, those were all great, but I disliked much of the actual gameplay, in particular the dialogue system. I'm hoping that Skywind will give me what I liked about Morrowind while changing or removing many of the things I didn't like.

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    edited July 2019
    I do wish Morrowind had an option to have all the dialogue trees you've already seen be hidden under a separate option ("ask something again" or some such). Having to see the same rumors over and over because one random person in the area would say something different was a little grating. But otherwise I enjoyed the system, so ymmv.

The Escape Goat on
    9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    Thirith wrote: »
    Morrowind was a game that I wanted to like so much but simply didn't enjoy. The world, the ideas, those were all great, but I disliked much of the actual gameplay, in particular the dialogue system. I'm hoping that Skywind will give me what I liked about Morrowind while changing or removing many of the things I didn't like.

Especially if you came to it late in its life cycle(or on console!) Morrrowind just had bad ui and janky systems.

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    Every time I think about how trying to maximize your +attribute increase on level-up meant meticulously and artificially choosing which skills you leveled, a violent shudder goes through me.

I would love a Morrowind remaster that keeps the setting, the mood, the free-form spells/exploration/etc, but shaves off some of the rough edges of 90s-era game design. Maybe Skywind is that!

• Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited July 2019
    Every time I think about how trying to maximize your +attribute increase on level-up meant meticulously and artificially choosing which skills you leveled, a violent shudder goes through me.

I would love a Morrowind remaster that keeps the setting, the mood, the free-form spells/exploration/etc, but shaves off some of the rough edges of 90s-era game design. Maybe Skywind is that!

Ah man, I cannot remember the name of it, but there is a modpack compilation thing for Morrowind that basically does this. A number of the modders involved actually ended up getting hired by Bethesda because of it and they ended up working on Oblivion and presumably Skyrim.

That said I don't think it changed how dialogue trees worked, just made them look nicer and more organized.

Axen on
    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    McHogerMcHoger Registered User regular

It's not really a problem in Morrowind due to how prevalent training is in the game. It's pretty much the backbone of it's guild system.

• Options
    edited July 2019
    Brody wrote: »

I enjoyed Skyrim plenty but between that setting and Oblivion, the TES games just got way too much into generic fantasy settings. Morrowind may be old as hell now, but the setting damn well felt like some real fantasy. God-kings, floating meteor fortresses, howling wastelands, ash zombies, crazy fungus forests, awesome custom magic, and amazing wildlife. Not to mention the great soundtrack and sounds.

Really really hope this Skywind thing actually gets to release within the next year, I'm dying to replay Morrowind with a modern game engine.

My other hope is that this brings Morrowind to the now extremely large group of people who played Skyrim but never bothered to play any of the other ES games. Like, they hear about it, it's free (ok, well, about $8 if they don't already own the original Morrowind), they go ahead and pick it up, they realize just how freaking boring Skyrim actually is, and then they demand More Weirdness from Bethsoft. My fear about ES6 is that it IS going to be set in High Rock because Bethesda is assuming that because of Skyrim's popularity that people want more Bog Standard Generic White People Western European Fantasy, which I don't actually think is the case at all. While if Skywind proves stupid popular... maybe Bethsoft will take note.
    McHoger wrote: »

It's not really a problem in Morrowind due to how prevalent training is in the game. It's pretty much the backbone of it's guild system.

It's certainly far, FAR less annoying than it is in Oblivion, where because of how limited you are in when you can train and with whom it becomes a PITA.

*edit* Also, the Skywind website has a FAQ that talks about stuff like what they're trying to do with the skill system & such.

https://tesrskywind.com/faq/

Lucid_Seraph on