As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The old [Giant Bomb] thread!

• Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    Also, it was funny that Drew noted in his livestream announcement that someone already had a clothmap twitter account, and he was planning on reaching out to that person. The person had never posted anything on it, and during the stream he tweeted at Drew that he was a big Giant Bomb fan, and he'd be happy to give it to him. Also, the owner's name was Drew.

Anyway, that Drew gave Drew the account.

• Options
    FuriousJodoFuriousJodo Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Like, I didn't think he would be homeless, but $30k isn't very much in the bay area.

FuriousJodo on Twitch/PSN/XBL/Whatever else
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    I do wonder why Drew didn't go the Danny route with his Patreon and have it be /DrewScanlon instead of /ClothMap. Danny has his as /DannyODwyer but it's understood that it's funding NoClip and, you know, feeding him and whatnot. And considering all the people the ClothMap account is supporting on Patreon, it's very likely that it was recently /DrewScanlon until right now.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    If anyone also follows Kinda Funny Colin has left, presumably last weeks shitstorm cemented it.

I am happy about this. Colin is the worst form of the faux-intellectual armchair gamer brigade. If he could get over his god damn ego he'd be an awesome contributor to the industry. Hopefully breaking off on his own will make him grow up a bit.

edit: To see a master-class in someone systematically taking apart Colin's arguments check out the Adam Boyes interview on Colin Was Right from last week. He politely destroys Colin and his POV without Colin even realizing what was happening.

Also, I lol'd a good lol when Lang called Colin a "fuckboi" on Twitter after his ill-advised #adaywithoutawoman tweet.

SatanIsMyMotor on
  • Options
    Of course he's not growing up. He's already bros with Glenn Beck and whatnot. He's going to double down and try to be the Bill Maher/Stacey Dash/Elisabeth Hasselbeck of video games

Understandably, he's going to find people who agree with his views and won't question him as much.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    Just looking at the incident that precipitated this I doubt there's any growing up going on here.

Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • Options
    Sadly, I agree. Colin will paint himself as a victim coming out of this and it will galvanize his misguided beliefs even further.

One can hope he's one of the rare few that actually does see the error in his ways however. I'll expect the worst and hope for the best.

• Options
    TubularLuggageTubularLuggage Registered User regular
    This is the first time I've ever heard of this Colin guy, and I'd be okay with it being the last.

In much more positive news, holy crap, Drew's patreon is past the 8200 mark.

• Options
    RandomHajileRandomHajile Not actually a Snatcher The New KremlinRegistered User regular
    Yeah, he's going to find a following in the alt-right/GG part of the internet, whether or not he fully believes in all of their doctrine. Like when all of that stuff happened and those cretins thought Jeff would be on their side because of what happened with him and GameSpot. The difference is that Colin won't call them out on their BS.

• Options
    Drew update. He has now passed 10,000. Congrats to him!

• Options
    Danny O'Dwyer is at like $22,000/month - I kind of imagine Drew will hit a higher note than that with the Giantbomb following? I have no idea what the ebb and flow of Patreon subscribers is I've never really used it.

• Options
    Danny O'Dwyer is at like $22,000/month - I kind of imagine Drew will hit a higher note than that with the Giantbomb following? I have no idea what the ebb and flow of Patreon subscribers is I've never really used it.

Not sure about that. Isn't Gamespot technically a much bigger site than Giant Bomb, audience-wise? I figured that he'd have a bigger potential audience to draw from with that, plus he was already popular with the GB audience.

On the other hand, the Giant Bomb audience seems like it's more dedicated to the site. And I'm really just talking without actually knowing these things to be true; more of a perception thing.

Anyway, it's awesome that it's doing this well. I look forward to seeing his stuff. I still need to watch more of Danny's stuff; I watched the main DOOM documentary bits, but nothing since then.

• Options
    I like that Danny gets to do what he wants to do the way he wants to do it. I attended his NoClip panel on Sunday and he gave me some (hopefully good) advice and answers to my questions about video production.

I have barely watched his videos either. Like I just don't know if I wanna sit and watch someone talk about Frog Fractions for 2 hours.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    Yeah, it's all just my thoughts with no evidence but I imagine the Giant Bomb base is generally older and more likely to have some cash to throw at things than the general Gamespot audience.

• Options
    firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    Fun to see the Musee Mecanique show up in Drew's intro video! That place is a blast - anyone who gets a chance to visit SF should check it out for sure. Anyway, videogame Globe Trekker sounds like a neat idea. Honestly, Drew's north korea travelogue was so interesting that he could probably scrap the gaming angle entirely and still make great travel content.

Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavantu
  • Options
    lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    Yeah...Colin started following JonTron recently.

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular

I am sad that JonTron either became, or finally revealed himself to be, just the fuckin' worst.

• Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    Taramoor wrote: »

I am sad that JonTron either became, or finally revealed himself to be, just the fuckin' worst.

I had a feeling when he had the whole kerfluffle about using (mental illness slur) as an insult, so I dropped him then.
    But I NEVER thought it would get this bad.

• Options
    *Me after reading the last few posts*
    "Hmm, it's been quite a while since I've seen or heard anything about Jontron. I wonder how bad it could possibly ... Oh holy shit".

• Options
    I actually stopped going to a forum I had been going to since 1999 around a year ago because it basically grew into that sort of hateful awful bullshit.

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    I actually stopped going to a forum I had been going to since 1999 around a year ago because it basically grew into that sort of hateful awful bullshit.

This is why I hang out here.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    I haven't listened to it yet, but apparently this guy did an 70-minute podcast with Vinny:

Vinny retweeted it.

edit: I'm about 20 minutes in and it's a good listen so far. The guy seems like a good interviewer.

SteevL on
  • Options
    GatorGator An alligator in Scotland Registered User regular
    Taramoor wrote: »

People who were paying attention knew this was coming

• Options
    That The 1099 Podcast with Vinny is a great listen so far. Hearing the inside baseball stuff from a guy like Vinny is always so engrossing, and it makes me both more scared to apply to the GBEast position and more emboldened, in a way.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    edited March 2017
    That The 1099 Podcast with Vinny is a great listen so far. Hearing the inside baseball stuff from a guy like Vinny is always so engrossing, and it makes me both more scared to apply to the GBEast position and more emboldened, in a way.

I wonder if that 1099 guy applied to one of Giant Bomb's open positions? He mentions towards the end that when he was younger he told his parents one of the places he'd love to work is Giant Bomb.

edit: also, Drew's patreon is now at $17k.

SteevL on
  • Options
    It is awesome to see the success of Drew's Patreon. I'm really excited to see what he makes of it.

On the Colin/JT stuff - is there a thread to talk about general Youtube personalities in the gaming space? I don't want to further derail this thread but it is something I'd love to be able to talk more about.

• Options
    It is awesome to see the success of Drew's Patreon. I'm really excited to see what he makes of it.

On the Colin/JT stuff - is there a thread to talk about general Youtube personalities in the gaming space? I don't want to further derail this thread but it is something I'd love to be able to talk more about.

There was some discussion about it yesterday in the SE++ Podcasts thread yesterday. I'm not a regular visitor to that part of the forum, though, and I don't know if it's still going on.

• Options

He's pretty good, I haven't listened to every podcast but he did one with Alex a while back, and one with Adam Boys and a few other people. I've been subscribed to him for a while now but don't necessarily listen to everything. I'm subscribed to way too many podcasts these days.

• Options
    edited March 2017
    Glad to see the Giant Bombcast is going to continue to try and get guests in for the podcast now that Drew's gone.

Today's guest: Future youtuber Patreon's own Drew Scanlon

SteevL on
  • Options
    BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    Daww look at Jason with all that excitement on his face

• Options
    From the comments section of Drew's patreon page:
    su25j42om7b3.png

• Options
    CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    ...typed Drew's mom as she caught some wicked air on her Himelayan snowboarding adventure/Yeti hunt.

• Options
    Barbara Scanlon is a saint!

steam_sig.png

• Options
    RandomHajileRandomHajile Not actually a Snatcher The New KremlinRegistered User regular
    So I hear Peter Brown dropped a pretty major spoiler on NieR Automata in today's Bombcast. Haven't listened to any of it yet, but heads-up to anyone interested in that game.

• Options
    This is now tagged on the Bombcast page on the web site:
    *** SPOILER WARNING ***

There is some specific talk about one of the many endings in NieR: Automata around 0:59:00. To avoid this, skip to 1:03:30.

• Options
    akajaybayakajaybay Registered User regular
    Yeah, I wish I had skipped over that segment. Despite saying it wasn't story based and more gameplay focused, the gameplay twists are kind of a big part of the experience and I would have been better off not listening.

• Options
    lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    I'm of two minds about it. I love being surprised but I was gonna skip Nier until I heard about that spoiler.

Vinny did something similar when he talked about the "twist" in The Fall. If he hadn't spoiled that bit I would have totally skipped that game. Also, it's not like Peter dropped the spoiler out of nowhere. They did warn he was gonna spoil something.

lionheart_m on
    3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    Yeah, I saw a lot of angry people in chat, but also a lot of people saying "He said he was gonna spoil stuff. Just stop listening for a few minutes."

edit: It's better than the Brad-esque spoiler waffling that is mentioned in the SE++ podcast thread.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

• Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    Vinny did something similar when he talked about the "twist" in The Fall. If he hadn't spoiled that bit I would have totally skipped that game.
    The Fall was so good. And aaaaaany day now we'll get the next episode.

Any day.

Man I hope the Q1 release date doesn't slip... :(

• Options
    akajaybayakajaybay Registered User regular
    Yeah they totally gave warning space, I just didn't take it seriously enough. It's on me, just wish I'd backed out.

This discussion has been closed.