As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[US and Russia] Talk about Trump connections to Russia here.

• Options
    No-QuarterNo-Quarter Nothing To Fear But Fear ItselfRegistered User regular
    Gaddez wrote: »
    So please understand my skepticism regarding him being screwed over for replacing the director of he FBI with some toady.

I get it. I really do. But Trump isn't some metaphysical being immune to consequence. In many ways, him winning the presidency might be the worst thing that's ever happened to him.

It just so happens it might be one of the worst things that'll ever happen to us as well.

• Options
    dispatch.odispatch.o Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Knight_ wrote: »
    Why would you cover up something so huge?

I read this post, went to two more threads, then laughed out loud and came back to awesome it. Fantastic.

In my head all Trump related posts pronounce huge as yuuuge.

So we keep wondering how the GOP can carry water for Putin after spending 60 years stealing money from old people and children's​ education in the name of military spending to keep Russia at bay. Don't they need to keep everyone enthralled with The Red Menace narrative to keep wasting billions on the next Bradley, F-35, Star Wars, Osprey, etc?

dispatch.o on
  • Options
    SurfpossumSurfpossum A nonentity trying to preserve the anonymity he so richly deserves.Registered User regular
    Oghulk wrote: »
    I kind of think this tweet speaks for itself, but uh

yeah so this is kind of a big deal
    As a point of order, NATO meeting is 5th and 6th, China's President is visiting (stated reason for missing meeting) 6th and 7th, Russia trip planned for the 12th.

So there is at least a fig leaf. I dunno how big of one it is tho since I don't know the diplomatic nitty gritty or whatever.

• Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    PantsB wrote: »
    Cog wrote: »
    Paraphrasing:

Swalwell: "Would Russia use someone's financial distress to exploit them?"

Comey: "Yes"

Swalwell: "Like say.... 6 bankruptcies?"

Comey: "....... I uh... I dont know."

Swalwell: "Did you know president Trump had 6 bankruptcies?"

Comey: "No comment."

How does someone get a reputation for impartiality when waffling answers like these are given?

He was so loyal to his immediate (Republican) supervisor AG Ashcroft that he followed his orders and didn't allow himself to be made into a patsy over one warrantless surveillance programs when Bush, Gonzales and Andrew Card asked that it meant he was his own man.

This is a really bizarre way to summarize a famous showdown over the limits of executive power

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    AridholAridhol Daddliest Catch Registered User regular

At the very least it's a slap in the face and saying "We don't need you at all, you need us". Supreme arrogance.

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    dispatch.o wrote: »

I read this post, went to two more threads, then laughed out loud and came back to awesome it. Fantastic.

So we keep wondering how the GOP can carry water for Putin after spending 60 years stealing money from old people and children's​ education in the name of military spending to keep Russia at bay. Don't they need to keep everyone enthralled with The Red Menace narrative to keep wasting billions on the next Bradley, F-35, Star Wars, Osprey, etc?

China.

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular

China.

We have always been at war with Eastasia.

• Options
    dispatch.odispatch.o Registered User regular

China.

Probably entirely correct. I wouldn't be surprised if war (trade or cold) is seen as a way of boosting our economy and deciding we won't pay our debts. You don't pay debts to a country you're at war with. So it would save us bigly... yuuge. Oh look I've thrown up in my mouth again.

I suspect Iran, China and domestic energy production will be the boogie men that he leverages against the environment and participation in treaties moving forward. Ultimately I think Russia is his idea of a fair society to be emulated.

• Options

JESUS CHRIST

HOW ARE YOU FUCKS SO BAD AT THIS?!

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Because he's not cut out for the job at all.

• Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    Because his priorities are not America.

sig.gif
  • Options
    I'm talking about basic competency.

Cobra Commander ran a tighter ship than this amateur-hour bullshit.

If I was a cartoon supervillain I'd be downright embarrassed by this buffoonery.

• Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    Because Trump believes NATO is some sort of protection racket for us to benefit from. Refusing to meet with them in favor of their primary adversary is a warning.

Alternately it's because Russia is in control

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    Who says it's not both?

• Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    Apparently Fox News has shit-canned Andrew Napolitano for the foreseeable future

http://money.cnn.com/2017/03/20/media/andrew-napolitano-fox-news/index.html

• Options
    SeñorAmorSeñorAmor !!! Registered User regular
    And nothing of value was lost.

• Options
    Waffles or whateverWaffles or whatever Previously known as, I shit you not, "Waffen" Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Atomika wrote: »
    Apparently Fox News has shit-canned Andrew Napolitano for the foreseeable future

http://money.cnn.com/2017/03/20/media/andrew-napolitano-fox-news/index.html

It's worth noting that they put a hold on his appearances after he started using the term along the line of, "close friends/sources" were wire tapping being done by the UK on the POTUS. Its more that he was placed on hold for what was proven to be a lie and caused an international incident.

Really curious to overall see where this Russian trail continues to lead us in the meantime.

Waffles or whatever on
  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    He made up a story (actual fake news), and the President jumped on it and has embarrassed himself (if that were possible) by repeating and clinging to it, in the face of all evidence.

So are they trying, probably in vain, to keep that from happening again?

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    I'd be laughing if this was a comedy instead of reality. Like you submitted this presidency and it's obvious Russian ties to Hollywood they'd return the story saying it's too unbelievable.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Kana wrote: »
    Paraphrasing:

How does someone get a reputation for impartiality when waffling answers like these are given?

He was so loyal to his immediate (Republican) supervisor AG Ashcroft that he followed his orders and didn't allow himself to be made into a patsy over one warrantless surveillance programs when Bush, Gonzales and Andrew Card asked that it meant he was his own man.

This is a really bizarre way to summarize a famous showdown over the limits of executive power

Are we sure it was about the limits of executive power?

• Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    shryke wrote: »
    Kana wrote: »
    Paraphrasing:

Are we sure it was about the limits of executive power?

I'm sure it's not on topic for this thread

So It Goes on
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    He made up a story (actual fake news), and the President jumped on it and has embarrassed himself (if that were possible) by repeating and clinging to it, in the face of all evidence.

So are they trying, probably in vain, to keep that from happening again?

Well, he might have gotten it from RT was the last version of the story I heard. Which is kind of hilarious.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    people need to start hitting trump with all his quotes about how he didn't need to see the presidents daily briefing because mike flynn gave him security briefings every day and he was just the super best, so reliable, much smart.

• Options
    JoeUserJoeUser Forum Santa Registered User regular
    Weird, no tweets about the investigation this morning

• Options
    daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    JoeUser wrote: »
    Weird, no tweets about the investigation this morning

I assume they tackled Trump and took his phone. Either that or he still has his 'lawyer up' reflexes from all the times he was in hot water.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • Options
    Waffles or whateverWaffles or whatever Previously known as, I shit you not, "Waffen" Registered User regular
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/pwa/?utm_term=.47b438198428#https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/new-documents-say-trump-aide-hid-payments-from-pro-moscow-ukraine-party/2017/03/21/92ec85f2-0e11-11e7-9d5a-a83e627dc120_story.html

Being reported this morning that the Ukraine allegedly has evidence that Manafort received payments from pro Putin Ukraine groups during his time over there.

• Options
    Mx. QuillMx. Quill I now prefer "Myr. Quill", actually... {They/Them}Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    I'd be laughing if this was a comedy instead of reality. Like you submitted this presidency and it's obvious Russian ties to Hollywood they'd return the story saying it's too unbelievable.

Starring Jason Alexander.

"Mister President, you feel asleep under your desk again!" *laugh track*

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »

Starring Jason Alexander.

"Mister President, you feel asleep under your desk again!" *laugh track*

c17.png

Soooo, this seems like it's going to be a thing:

New documents show Trump aide hid payments from Ukraine party with Moscow ties, lawmaker alleges

Basically Manafort allegedly laundered money from the Ukraine party of the former president there who has strong ties to Moscow

• Options
    EclecticGrooveEclecticGroove Registered User regular

China.

The more immediate one is "Terrorists". And not only does that removed the focus from Russia as a bad guy, but it allows them to Frame Russia in a good light. "Look at how tough Putin's Russia is on terrorists, they went in and kicked their ass in Syria and took no shit!".

And voila, not only do you have the big bad specter of terrorism to replace "the red menace", but you also re-frame that same menace into something positive.

China is not the same kind of threat, and while I have no doubt they are doing their best to make them into one, it wouldn't be the same kind of cold war situation we once had. Russia was going to bomb us, "the reds' were going to sneak in and infiltrate us to destroy us from the inside, they had secret invasions, and all sorts of other crazy stuff people believed.

All of that lines up with that creeping, ill defined, yet ever present "terrorist" threat that gets people riled up out of fear and anger.

• Options
    JoeUserJoeUser Forum Santa Registered User regular
    House Intelligence Committee chair Nunes is either a complete fool or is lying.

MSNBC producer:

• Options
    HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    Viskod wrote: »
    people need to start hitting trump with all his quotes about how he didn't need to see the presidents daily briefing because mike flynn gave him security briefings every day and he was just the super best, so reliable, much smart.

Trump, quite sadly, has so many scandals that as soon as one starts to be a problem, he can deflect to another. And if nothing else, he makes up a scandal to deflect public attention.

• Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited March 2017

China.

Probably entirely correct. I wouldn't be surprised if war (trade or cold) is seen as a way of boosting our economy and deciding we won't pay our debts. You don't pay debts to a country you're at war with. So it would save us bigly... yuuge. Oh look I've thrown up in my mouth again.

I suspect Iran, China and domestic energy production will be the boogie men that he leverages against the environment and participation in treaties moving forward. Ultimately I think Russia is his idea of a fair society to be emulated.

This has been a myth for ages, that I can only assume started due to the war effort in WWII and people making blind causal links between it and emerging from the depression.

Given the fact that it has been proven in literally every single other war that this is demonstrably false, I don't know why people still cling to the idea and don't look at the litany of other factors that played into it.

Regardless, our debt to China is functionally meaningless. War with them would be beyond disastrous for both of our economies. No amount of war mobilization would make up for the sheer amount of income in China from exports and producing virtually all of our consumer goods; and the astronomical increase in costs of goods you can buy in the US, that we rely almost wholly on China for, would shatter any meager increase in jobs and spending on defense. Another thing people seem to forget is that we already have an absurdly large standing military, both in manpower and in hardware. We have additionally a shitton of mothballed metal that would and could be recovered long before we ever started building factories for tanks, bullets, or aircraft.

World War II is never coming back. I know this idea hurts a lot of older Republicans in government who romanticize it but beyond their vast misunderstanding of reality and history, any modern equivalent would devastate the health, population and infrastructure of everyone involved. I guess on a purely academic level, it would be interesting to see what currently-developing nation(s) would emerge as the next hegemony?

Really, Russia is probably (I'd have to think about it, but I'm pretty confident) the only nation resembling a super power who would actually demonstrably benefit from a major world conflict. Even then, they would be assuming that the current system of government would still be in charge after the smoke cleared, which is a pretty massive leap of faith, given Russian history with war and their own government. Regardless, the fact that they really wouldn't have much to lose, should be ringing more fucking bells for the people currently investigating the Trump/Russia connections. I mean, come on, an authoritarian oligarchy who is oil rich, has huge buffers of land, regional military influence, ruthless leaders, and a persistently depressed economy that could be revitalized overnight when the sanctions disappear and suddenly everyone in the world needs far more oil than they did the day before?

Any rhetoric regarding China as our enemy is the scariest thing to me at this moment, foreign policy wise. I can literally see in my mind Putin and his dumb fucking smirk watching the US and China piss away decades of invaluable economic and social exchanges, while Russia happily provides the rest of the world oil and other resources that the US and China are too occupied to handle themselves.

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    QanamilQanamil x Registered User regular

MSNBC producer:

In case you don't watch this clip, he's asked multiple times and the best he has is "I've heard of Manafort."

Amazing.

• Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular

Well now they have Muslim boogeymen instead, with Mexicans in reserve, then BLM for slow news days.

And ofc there's always the war on drugs

• Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    We need next generation strategic bombers to combat ISIS

and F-35s and advanced self propelled guns and maybe railguns

override367 on
  • Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular

MSNBC producer:

I see Nunes is pulling a Sean Spicer now.

Nunes is probably the most blatant example of why we need an independent committee. Dude is practically on the payroll for Trump.

• Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    Heffling wrote: »

Trump, quite sadly, has so many scandals that as soon as one starts to be a problem, he can deflect to another. And if nothing else, he makes up a scandal to deflect public attention.

This is pretty much how he became president. No less than a dozen scandals/controversies associated with him or his campaign would have on their own sunk almost any candidate but with Trump it all became white noise.

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    MuddypawsMuddypaws Lactodorum, UKRegistered User regular
    Butters wrote: »

This is pretty much how he became president. No less than a dozen scandals/controversies associated with him or his campaign would have on their own sunk almost any candidate but with Trump it all became white noise.

Small door. Many diseases.

Even if nothing gets nailed to them now, I hope that Dems find their spines once they get back into power and kick over every rock these worms hide under.

• Options
    SleepSleep Registered User regular
    Muddypaws wrote: »

Small door. Many diseases.

Even if nothing gets nailed to them now, I hope that Dems find their spines once they get back into power and kick over every rock these worms hide under.

They won't, that would take a spine, something all of our legislators seemingly lack.

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular

Nah, it's mostly that none of that is actually disqualifying for a Republican. All these scandals work. His approval ratings are ridiculously low for a reason. It's just they don't matter to Republicans for the most part.

But they each can chip away a bit at his support. This russia thing can have legs among enough voters and politicians to matter.

This discussion has been closed.