As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[US and Russia] Talk about Trump connections to Russia here.

• Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    Atomika wrote: »
    PLA wrote: »
    So are the republican party just punch-clocking Landesverräter?

Party over Policy

Power over Propriety

Yep, they're only traitors to the federal government and it's statutes.

Party, family, God...5 or 6 other things including profit...Country.

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    PLA wrote: »
    So are the republican party just punch-clocking Landesverräter?

Party over Policy

Power over Propriety

Yep, they're only traitors to the federal government and it's statutes.

Party, family, God...5 or 6 other things including profit...Country.

- Party
    - Racism
    - Homophobia
    - Sexism
    - Anarchocapitalism
    - Enshrining Anti-Science
    - White Christian Evangelical Supply-Side Jesus
    - Toby Keith-style Patriotism

• Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    So Nunes just apologized to the committee for skipping the order of operations and telling Trump and the press before the rest of the committee.

I am guessing he realized he fucked up? I wonder what this does to his Friday plans?

http://www.cnn.com/2017/03/23/politics/devin-nunes-reaction-house-intelligence-committee-congress/index.html
    (CNN)House Intelligence Committee Chairman Devin Nunes apologized to committee members Thursday, a Democrat on the panel told reporters, coming the day after Nunes told the public and the President that communications of him and associates may have been collected by intelligence agencies before telling Democratic members of the committee.

Rep. Jackie Speier, a Democrat on the committee, said that Nunes apologized at their meeting Thursday morning.
    Nunes also promised to provide the same information he's viewed to the committee members but did not offer a specific timeline.

Oh hey, apologies but still holding information away from the rest of the team, information that could actually incriminate him as he was on the transition team that was being legally monitored.

Kick his ass off the committee already. This is banana republic level bullshit and its beneath us.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    I believe pulling Nunes is Ryan's job.

• Options
    GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    You know, I think I might actually be more offended at the half assed way that the republicans are trying to provide cover for this then the actual collusion at this point.

Furthermore: nothing would give congress and the senate credibility faster then engaging in a bipartisan investigation to purge any compromised individulas from the whitehouse and their own wings; republicans could totally spin it as a combination of morale purity and personal responsibility thing and probably come out ahead on the deal if they started on it right now and ditched any pretense of softening the impact.

• Options
    naengwennaengwen Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Gaddez wrote: »
    You know, I think I might actually be more offended at the half assed way that the republicans are trying to provide cover for this then the actual collusion at this point.

Furthermore: nothing would give congress and the senate credibility faster then engaging in a bipartisan investigation to purge any compromised individulas from the whitehouse and their own wings; republicans could totally spin it as a combination of morale purity and personal responsibility thing and probably come out ahead on the deal if they started on it right now and ditched any pretense of softening the impact.

Nah discrediting Congress advances their agenda to dismantle federal government as a whole so fuck it, go hog wild.

There's not really much else to see it as than that right now. They're sacrificing everything for their agenda; if they can't get a pass on that in the next year they are totally boned.

Or they would be if 46% of the voting populous wasn't drinking the same koolaid.

EDIT: Then again if everything blows up in their face today then I'll bet you'll totally see them saber rattling for the rest of the year leading into full blown investigation next year to keep their seats preserve the integrity of the Republican name.

naengwen on
  • Options
    Mr KhanMr Khan Not Everyone WAHHHRegistered User regular
    It definitely helps give Democrats ammo to say that Trump shouldn't get a lifetime appointment to the Supreme Court through under these conditions, and that the filibuster will remain until the investigation is concluded.

Which shouldn't even be about political point-scoring, a traitor shouldn't get to have 40 years of impact on American jurisprudence, and there's certainly enough evidence there to suggest that.

• Options
    rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    Pence, Ryan, and quite a long line of republicans would be fine with Gorsitch in a world without Trump. I'm fine with democrats using that line to draw attention to the Russia issues, but it's not like anything that could happen would change the nomination.

• Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    Pence, Ryan, and quite a long line of republicans would be fine with Gorsitch in a world without Trump. I'm fine with democrats using that line to draw attention to the Russia issues, but it's not like anything that could happen would change the nomination.

Impeaching Trump would automatically withdraw the nomination, I believe. Though Pence could just turn around and re-nominate him.

• Options
    GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    To be fair what Schiff did confirming on a CNN interview suggesting that he'd seen evidence of Trump-Russia collusion should also be grounds to throw him off the Intel committee too. It's not nearly as bad as what Nunes did, and he probably only did to counter Nunes' narrative, but it was still totally inappropriate.

Gundi on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Spicer now describes Manafort as "a gentleman who was employed by someone for five months."

By the end of the month, Spicer will be denying that Manafort ever existed.

Edit: Video:

Couscous on
  • Options
    SleepSleep Registered User regular
    Couscous wrote: »
    Spicer now describes Manafort as "a gentleman who was employed by someone for five months."

He was your fucking campaign manager.

WTF!?

• Options
    GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    "A guy who was employed by someone for five months."

Who is Donald Trump? *Crosses fingers*

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Options
    RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
    Manafort was always employed by East Asia.

• Options
    Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Sleep wrote: »

WTF!?

You gotta love that dude's go to defense is to start nitpicking on the meaning of words. "Associate? I don't know what that is, how dare you use it in this context."

Dark_Side on
  • Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    If Manafort was a nobody than why did they fire him?

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    PellaeonPellaeon Registered User regular
    Dark_Side wrote: »

WTF!?

You gotta love that dude's go to defense is to start nitpicking on the meaning of words. "Associate? I don't know what that is, how dare you use it in this context."

"Gentleman? Whoa whoa guys. I never said he was a gentleman. At most I can confirm that Manafort is a human male that... (handed post it note) uh, possibly a human being that may or may not have existed "

Sean spicer, secretary of gaslighting.

• Options
    Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    Pellaeon wrote: »

WTF!?

"Gentleman? Whoa whoa guys. I never said he was a gentleman. At most I can confirm that Manafort is a human male that... (handed post it note) uh, possibly a human being that may or may not have existed "

Also bold move explicitly telling the pool to "Come back to me when you have some hard evidence." cause....have you been following the news on Manafort Spicer?

• Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Jeez, whatever happened to the tried and true "We don't comment on pending investigations. We believe the evidence that will come to light will fully comport with our previous statements and we look forward to the results completely absolving Mr. Trump of any wrongdoing. No further comment, and next question please."

PR 101...

So It Goes on
  • Options
    CptHamiltonCptHamilton Registered User regular
    Pellaeon wrote: »

WTF!?

Also bold move explicitly telling the pool to "Come back to me when you have some hard evidence." cause....have you been following the news on Manafort Spicer?

I don't think anyone in the WH press briefing is going to get Spicer to admit that 1 + 1 = 2 regardless of what happens out in the wider world of reality.

Tell Spicer the intelligence committee says Manafort was on the Russian payroll? "He's just some guy. Who knows what he was doing? He was barely there at all. The president never met him."

Ask Spicer about reporting which speaks of wide-spread collusion between the Trump campaign and Russian intelligence? "Fake news! Who are these sources? Why aren't we more concerned about these leaks? How many times do we have to say there's nothing there?"

Tell Spicer the intelligence agencies are openly reporting that they have hard evidence of collusion? "Well those guys are wrong all the time. There weren't any WMDs in Iraq, were there?"

I'm pretty sure you'd have to actually march Trump or Spicer himself out of the WH in handcuffs before he'll admit to objective reality being real.

PSN,Steam,Live | CptHamiltonian
  • Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    So It Goes wrote: »
    Jeez, whatever happened to the tried and true "We don't comment on pending investigations. We believe the evidence that will come to light will fully comport with our previous statements and we look forward to the results completely absolving Mr. Trump of any wrongdoing. No further comment, and next question please."

PR 101...

A response like this would require a professional. As of yet, Trump has not deemed it necessary to employ any professionals to his inner circle.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    Cambiata wrote: »

PR 101...

A response like this would require a professional. As of yet, Trump has not deemed it necessary to employ any professionals to his inner circle.

His base eats up the bullshit is the thing. This sort of stuff isn't aimed at us and it's probably more effective than PR 101 would be for them.

Whether that's enough is another story.

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Phoenix-D wrote: »

PR 101...

His base eats up the bullshit is the thing. This sort of stuff isn't aimed at us and it's probably more effective than PR 101 would be for them.

On the other hand, Trump picks the best people.

• Options
    AresProphetAresProphet Registered User regular

PR 101...

Conway would say that and with a straight face. So far I'm convinced that her missteps have largely been due to the scriptwriters having no clue. She's a pro.

Spicer on the other hand can hardly remember his lines and even when he does he veers off script under pressure.

I can't wait for the complete about-face on Manafort by Sunday morning. By that point he will be revealed to have actually been Clinton's campaign manager, don't you remember

ex9pxyqoxf6e.png
  • Options
    BlazeFireBlazeFire Registered User regular
    With Manafort being involved in other campaigns, I wonder if this will be used as a tool in the Establishment vs the Breitbart battle going on within the administration. ie the Breitbart side throws the Establishment under the bus and uses it to consolidate power.

• Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    Houn wrote: »

Impeaching Trump would automatically withdraw the nomination, I believe. Though Pence could just turn around and re-nominate him.

Trump aint getting impeached, but if he did I feel confident the democrats could get traction stalling for years on the grounds that only elected presidents should get a say

• Options
    AresProphetAresProphet Registered User regular
    BlazeFire wrote: »
    With Manafort being involved in other campaigns, I wonder if this will be used as a tool in the Establishment vs the Breitbart battle going on within the administration. ie the Breitbart side throws the Establishment under the bus and uses it to consolidate power.

this would mean inviting discussion about his efforts for the pro-Russian government in Ukraine which is going to make them uncomfortable

they want to distance Manafort from themselves and from Russia at the same time. which right now means throwing him under McCain's bus and McCain is proactively fighting that in the media by talking about Ukraine.

I'm not sure the far right has any winning PR moves other than "Mana who?" and even that is insufficient. They want everyone to shut up about him

Which means t-minus this evening for the next distraction so we all move on

ex9pxyqoxf6e.png
  • Options
    Phoenix-D wrote: »

PR 101...

I don't know if they eat it up so much as they give him a pass on it but regardless that doesn't mean Trump couldn't be doing better with them. The first 100 days among all the chaos is littered with unforced errors and missed opportunities.

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    BlazeFire wrote: »

this would mean inviting discussion about his efforts for the pro-Russian government in Ukraine which is going to make them uncomfortable

they want to distance Manafort from themselves and from Russia at the same time. which right now means throwing him under McCain's bus and McCain is proactively fighting that in the media by talking about Ukraine.

I'm not sure the far right has any winning PR moves other than "Mana who?" and even that is insufficient. They want everyone to shut up about him

Which means t-minus this evening for the next distraction so we all move on

Sure, something else will probably come up to move the news cycle along. But then Russia will come up again to distract from that.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular

PR 101...

Conway would say that and with a straight face. So far I'm convinced that her missteps have largely been due to the scriptwriters having no clue. She's a pro.

Spicer on the other hand can hardly remember his lines and even when he does he veers off script under pressure.

I can't wait for the complete about-face on Manafort by Sunday morning. By that point he will be revealed to have actually been Clinton's campaign manager, don't you remember

I wonder why he didn't make Conway his press secretary, she really would be the perfect bullshitter for that position.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    Duke 2.0Duke 2.0 Time Trash Cat Registered User regular
    Thinking back to Trump disliking the SNL skit on Spicer because a woman played him, I can guess why he didn't put Conway in that position

VRXwDW7.png
  • Options
    Mx. QuillMx. Quill I now prefer "Myr. Quill", actually... {They/Them}Registered User regular
    Duke 2.0 wrote: »
    Thinking back to Trump disliking the SNL skit on Spicer because a woman played him, I can guess why he didn't put Conway in that position

Trump himself has said he respects women.

Which, in reality, means he has absolutely no respect for women at all.

• Options
    edited March 2017

PR 101...

I wonder why he didn't make Conway his press secretary, she really would be the perfect bullshitter for that position.

The rumors early on were that Trump did want Conway but Pence and Priebus convinced him to let them pick Spicer.

Conway is definitely a less apologetic liar but I don't know if she could spin the Russia shit much better. During the campaign when she didn't have an answer to a question she'd go with "You'll have to ask him" and that wouldn't fly when you're the official voice of the Oval Office.

Butters on
  • Options
    cursedkingcursedking Registered User regular
    Butters wrote: »

PR 101...

The rumors early on were that Trump did want Conway but Pence and Priebus convinced him to let them pick Spicer.

Conway is definitely a less apologetic liar but I don't know if she could spin the Russia shit much better. During the campaign when she didn't have an answer to a question she'd go with "You'll have to ask him" and that wouldn't fly when you're the official voice of the Oval Office.

conway can't even handle sunday press shows, she certainly can't handle the press pool

Types: Boom + Robo | Food: Sweet | Habitat: Plains
  • Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular

PR 101...

I believe the answer to that is James Comey

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    "Paul Manafort was actually just three bear cubs in a trenchcoat"

• Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular

Russian bears, perchance?

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    Vanguard wrote: »

Russian bears, perchance?

nyet of course not!

• Options
    GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    They would be Ukrainian Separatist bear cubs (that have the full backing of the Kremlin).

GONG-00 on
    Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Options
    CptHamiltonCptHamilton Registered User regular
    Spicy wrote:
    I think the bears speak for themselves.

PSN,Steam,Live | CptHamiltonian
This discussion has been closed.