Options

[US and Russia] Talk about Trump connections to Russia here.

• Options
    JoeUserJoeUser Forum Santa Registered User regular
    Buzzfeed reporter following a Lindsay Graham town hall

Graham: "I think the House Intel committee is about to fall apart & I don't know if they can get it back together." (!!)

So Graham seems to at least see the seriousness of all this. I wonder if he will actually do something.

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Is he a member of the Senate Intelligence Committee? If so, One Committee To Rule Them All is probably what he will want.

Is there a summary of Ryan's position on Trump/Russia? Because even if they reform such a committee, the chair is still assigned by him.

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Is he a member of the Senate Intelligence Committee? If so, One Committee To Rule Them All is probably what he will want.

Is there a summary of Ryan's position on Trump/Russia? Because even if they reform such a committee, the chair is still assigned by him.

Ryan's position is "Hey, look over there! We have poor people to starve!"

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    JoeUser wrote: »
    Graham: "I think the House Intel committee is about to fall apart & I don't know if they can get it back together." (!!)

So Graham seems to at least see the seriousness of all this. I wonder if he will actually do something.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: this whole thing is a marvelous opportunity for the GOP to re-organize itself and lord knows purging anyone with ties to russia would probably win them a shit load of support from moderates and disaffected pubbies; if they start now they can come in strong in 2018 and be real dangerous for 2020.

• Options
    Mr KhanMr Khan Not Everyone WAHHHRegistered User regular

(mutters) "Waste of my fucking time."

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Mr Khan wrote: »

(mutters) "Waste of my fucking time."

That's right.

So I figure Ryan would just chair somebody else likely to guide the committee to a result that makes it go away as quiet as possible.

• Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    JoeUser wrote: »

Graham has been a consistent and sole voice of reason among the GOP in the Senate going on 3 years now but he wields like zero power or influence.

Butters on
    PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    WACriminalWACriminal Dying Is Easy, Young Man Living Is HarderRegistered User regular
    CNN analyst Juliette Kayyem says that her sources are indicating that Flynn has flipped and has a deal with the FBI. I'm not too familiar with her, does anybody know how credible she is?

"Hacktivist" (god I hate that word) The Jester concurs.

I really want this to be true.

• Options
    Giggles_FunsworthGiggles_Funsworth Blight on Discourse Bay Area SprawlRegistered User regular
    WACriminal wrote: »
    CNN analyst Juliette Kayyem says that her sources are indicating that Flynn has flipped and has a deal with the FBI. I'm not too familiar with her, does anybody know how credible she is?

"Hacktivist" (god I hate that word) The Jester concurs.

I really want this to be true.

Jester's less of a hacktivist and more of a US Government asset that plays one on the internet.

Doesn't have any special channels for that sort of information I'm aware of. He's responding to the same rumors as everybody else usually, and probably shouldn't be treated as any kind of source here; unless he indicates otherwise or he's doing analysis, which has been generally reliable in the six or so years I've been following him.

• Options
    Mr KhanMr Khan Not Everyone WAHHHRegistered User regular
    Might be the drawback to Putin killing every liability he can think of, one of them might dash for NATO protective custody (which would take their claims seriously after what happened to Litvinenko).

• Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    I can't find a source reliable enough that I'd feel was reliable enough to link, but there's a rumor going around that Nunes was also at that Turkey meeting with Flynn, that that big article was talking about a couple days ago.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    not surprising someone would turncoat. who is going to show loyalty to donald trump

• Options
    JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    I'm not seeing anything other than that tweet so I dunno about how credible it is unless everybody else hadn't got hold of the info yet. Could be a developing story.

But Oh to dream

• Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    I Zimbra wrote: »
    This seems totally cool and normal:
    Hours before the chairman of the House Intelligence Committee announced his shocking claims about the Trump transition team on Wednesday morning, he practically disappeared.

Rep. Devin Nunes was traveling with a senior committee staffer in an Uber on Tuesday evening when he received a communication on his phone, three committee officials and a former national security official with ties to the committee told The Daily Beast. After the message, Nunes left the car abruptly, leaving his own staffer in the dark about his whereabouts.

By the next morning, Nunes hastily announced a press conference. His own aides, up to the most senior level, did not know what their boss planned to say next. Nunes’ choice to keep senior staff out of the loop was highly unusual.

I'm actually a bit confused about this one.

So Nunes leaves his own staffer in the car... why are there like four people telling the Daily Beast this thing?

There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    Until it's confirmed in some way, my money is still on Manafort to be the one that flips.

We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    Jars wrote: »
    not surprising someone would turncoat. who is going to show loyalty to donald trump

'I like generals who don't turn!'

He was the National Security Advisor!

• Options
    Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    I'm seeing lots of buzz on Twitter about Flynn flipping.
    Also this entire scandal from April till now is being referred to as The Mayflower Incident due to the hotel that they all met in.

• Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    not concrete enough for me. people say a lot of things on twitter

• Options
    To elaborate:

Seth Abramson is claiming that Harvard Professor Juliette Kayyem (also a CNN analyst) believes Flynn is flipping and is now involved with the FBI. Seth Abramson has been featured earlier in the thread. He is a columnist and professor and apparently also a poet.

Here is the link to that tweet.

So far just whispers and buzz. Nothing officially reported.

• Options
    JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    Yeah until I see an AP tweet or something I'm not buying it.

Doesn't meant I don't want to buy it. Just need more than twitrer scuttlebutt.

• Options
    I agree! Twitter scuttlebutt is frequently wrong.

• Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    Juggernut wrote: »
    Yeah until I see an AP tweet or something I'm not buying it.

Doesn't meant I don't want to buy it. Just need more than twitrer scuttlebutt.

And even if he's flipped, this is Comey's FBI. It's possible that this could be 'leaked' in order to tip the administration, or Flynn's testimony could be worthless or only pinning a scapegoat.

• Options
    Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED! Registered User regular
    I haven't kept up, but were the people killed in Russia itself? You'd think they'd be in protective custody.

• Options
    MarathonMarathon Registered User regular
    Magus` wrote: »
    I haven't kept up, but were the people killed in Russia itself? You'd think they'd be in protective custody.

What custody in Russia could protect you from Putin if he wanted you dead?

• Options
    Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED! Registered User regular
    Marathon wrote: »
    Magus` wrote: »

What custody in Russia could protect you from Putin if he wanted you dead?

I meant like.. anywhere else.

• Options
    GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    Assuming that Flynn has flipped, this is frikkin huge; The FBI wouldn't be cutting deals like this if they didn't think they were going to scoop up a big fish and the only people bigger then Flynn at this stage would be Bannon, Tillerson and trump.

• Options
    SpaffySpaffy Fuck the Zero Registered User regular
    To elaborate:

Seth Abramson is claiming that Harvard Professor Juliette Kayyem (also a CNN analyst) believes Flynn is flipping and is now involved with the FBI. Seth Abramson has been featured earlier in the thread. He is a columnist and professor and apparently also a poet.

Here is the link to that tweet.

So far just whispers and buzz. Nothing officially reported.

I have strong doubts that a Harvard Professor would be the sole holder of this knowledge.

ALRIGHT FINE I GOT AN AVATAR
    Steam: adamjnet
  • Options
    JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    Trump values loyality, so he must be pissed at even the thought of that.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular

It's about time he learned that people tend to be more loyal when you don't fuck them over.

• Options
    Waffles or whateverWaffles or whatever Previously known as, I shit you not, "Waffen" Registered User regular
    I question the validity of that story. Nobody else is reporting it.

• Options
    Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

It's about time he learned that people tend to be more loyal when you don't fuck them over.

I thought it a bit weird that Flynn just fell off the face of the earth. He was a principle in the campaign and transition, and its not like other guys like Guilliani or Ginrich where they were declined an important position but still float around on the periphery, all of the sudden he was just gone.

Jealous Deva on
  • Options
    MillMill Registered User regular
    Given that we're dealing with a scandal that involves Russian connections to Trump. If I were the FBI or any intelligence agency involved in the investigation, I would be taking people like Flynn into protective custody because Putin will probably have his KGB lackeys off them. If Trump goes down on this stuff, Putin will get fucked in the ass. Yeah, his 70, but he is still alive and their is shit he still wants. Shit that most people have no beefs denying him, Trump has been a boon for him, if Trump goes the EU and NATO will likely get a bunch of gains out of it. Also the US intelligence community will have a ton of support from the US public to initiate a massive campaign of "Time to fuck over Putin."

I also doubt Russia has tied up all the loose ends with this shit show either. I imagine there were a fair number of people that either stumbled across info he wanted buried or that were used for one part of it scheme (either knowingly or unknowingly). The funny thing, is at this point, it's probably pointless, most smart people know Putin's shitty game at this point and if they think they got dirt on him, they've probably sent it to a non-Russian-aligned intelligence agency by now. I mean, with Putin, if you're considered a liability, you're likely good as dead already, so might well disclose the dirt to someone who put on a pair of brass knuckles and punch the authoritarian fucker in his dick.

As for the GOP. They're fucked if this takes Trump down. It blows their credibility out of the water because their is enough evidence floating around, that someone could point out that they should have tanked his asses prospects. They've also latched on to a fair bit of his shit policies, that will get tainted. The party could use a good purge, but I doubt that helps them in 2018 or 2020 because they are the party of Trump. Most of the moderates were out of the party before the Tea Party wave and before Trump and a number of Republican leaders were praising Putin for being a vile piece of shit. Actually, this might be what finally kills the GOP. They've forced out the moderates, who will not return if Trump goes and if Trump goes that's going to piss the biggest slice of their base. Also burying their head in the sand will fuck them too because there does seem to be an indication that a decent chunk of the GOP is not cool with this and it won't play well a sizable chunk of voters either. I guess the question now is does the GOP bite the bullet and get go through with getting a series problem properly treated, even though it will suck for them or will they let the problem get worse and have worse consequences for them.

• Options
    Counter to that: It's Obama's fault.

There is no doubt that this can come down hard on Trump and Co. But there is also no doubt that there will be plenty of attempts to shift everything to anybody else. Especially democrats.

• Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    Looks like the pundit in question only has sources that are speculating.

• Options
    MarathonMarathon Registered User regular
    august wrote: »
    Looks like the pundit in question only has sources that are speculating.

Booo, Christmas has not come early. Yet.

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Abramson is very, very dumb as a pseudo journalist. Wait for real people to say something. Pete Williams, NBC's justice correspondent, would be a likely place.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    TryCatcherTryCatcher Registered User regular
    The main concern that everybody should have is that so many bait-and-switch like this one are pretty much making people numb to all the smoke.

• Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    And this is why it's all bullshit until something credible and verifiable comes out. I'd argue it's not even worth discussing if it's just rumors and innuendo. And twitter is great for hyping up rumors.

• Options
    Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Counter to that: It's Obama's fault.

There is no doubt that this can come down hard on Trump and Co. But there is also no doubt that there will be plenty of attempts to shift everything to anybody else. Especially democrats.

Hard to shift much of anything onto a party that controls nothing. Trump is the GOP's baby, they've got no one to blame but each other. Donald already tried that with the health care bill and got zero traction to the point that all the little pundit minions immediately went after Ryan and Preibus.

Dark_Side on
  • Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    This puts Flynn in a bind. Say it's true he hasn't flipped, the media reporting this, whether it's bullshit or the truth, will make Putin react by making sure Flynn doesn't get the chance to squeal because the risk is too high to let him live. This becomes the stick prosecutors can use to get him actually flip in exchange for protection.

This discussion has been closed.