SniperGuy wrote: »
    Maz- wrote: »
    mojojoeo wrote: »
    Xaquin wrote: »
    urahonky wrote: »
    Mblackwell wrote: »
    People saying wait and see for online prices and such:
    Just simple math, even if it's only $20 a year (~$1.70 a month), if you have the console for 8 to 10 years, that's an extra $160-200 added to the price of the console. Imagine it's $50 a year (~$4.20 a month). That's $400-500 extra in cost. Paid online is NOT a good value proposition.

Did you factor in the cost of your Internet and the power to run the device for that long too?

I can see why people are upset about paid online from nintendo ....

nintendo's online sucks.

I saw absolutely nothing to quash the feeling that it will continue to suck.

Like what? What convinced you that online play sucks on the Switch sucks? Cause right now, there's zero evidence of that because, y'know, no one has played online with it yet.

Maz- its very very well known that Nintendo is lagging in estore and online functionality for forever. He is basing it on history and that is a fair basis for his comment.

this isnt a blank slate- they are who they are.

I find that often, people are basing that on hearsay - or absolutely nothing, most of the time. The online experience has been totally fine for me on Wii U and 3DS. Have there been some occasional issues? Sure, but it's hard to say whether that is due to Nintendo's hardware, the specific wi-fi setup in my house, my internet provider, connection issues of the people I was playing with or whatever. All in all, it's been really solid, and not markedly better or worse than other online services I've been using. If it's been that good while it was free, I don't have a huge problem with paying a bit for it to make it even better.

But of course, "Nintendo is bad at the internet" (whatever the hell that means), so people are already 100% convinced that it's gonna suck.

Friend codes are a huge problem. The service sucks because the infrastructure around it sucks. Sure you can play online and have it not lag to hell and back, but that's not what people are talking about. They're talking about the lack of system level friends lists and the ease of messaging and all that compared to Xbox and Playstation.

And real account ownership of digital games.

XBL: Flex MythoMass
  • Options
    twmjrtwmjr Registered User regular
    "Online lobby and voice chat

Our new dedicated smart device app will connect to Nintendo Switch and let you invite friends to play online, set play appointments, and chat with friends during online matches in compatible games─all from your smart device."

Wait, you need a smart phone for this? You can't just chat with folks on the console itself?

Yeah this too is concerning. I'm guessing they are still shying away from voice chat? Phone keyboard is handy to be able to type on but to use for online chat? That's weird if true.

I thought this was pretty clear during the stream last night; it sounds like all of the on-line interaction functionality will be smart-phone/device based.

• Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    SyphonBlue wrote: »
    PMAvers wrote: »
    This *does* remind me that I need to cancel my PS+ sub. No reason to pump more money into a dead console.
    o_O

I assume they mean the PS3.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    It is funny how these Treehouse guys are trying to sell the system.

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Cynical Old Man Registered User regular
    I went for the gray Switch. I decided that if I needed a new set I'll pick up the neon colors.

• Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    Entaru wrote: »
    You could take that exact same wording and apply it towards the Xbox Live or PS+ games. You get them for free for the month.

After that you can't download that particular deal.

I'm very much a proponant of judgeing people once for their past and then after that you have to give them the chance to change. I hated the online in my wii-u and 3ds. This looks like they are trying to change so I am not going to keep shitting on them for that.

When I see this new system if it's really not a copy of the new modern systems then I will get to judge them on that information.

If they were copying the ps+ model why wouldn't they word it as "while subscribed" rather than "for a month"? The thing that actually bothers me the most about it isn't the implication that the game is only available for a month but the possibility that it is only available for a month due to limitations of the account system and digital game still being tied to the hardware instead of an account based system like every other reasonable online platform in existence.

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    This *does* remind me that I need to cancel my PS+ sub. No reason to pump more money into a dead console.

I assume you mean ps3 and not ps4 .. right?

• Options
    chamberlainchamberlain Registered User regular
    Just simple math, even if it's only $20 a year (~$1.70 a month), if you have the console for 8 to 10 years, that's an extra $160-200 added to the price of the console. Imagine it's $50 a year (~$4.20 a month). That's $400-500 extra in cost. Paid online is NOT a good value proposition.

Did you factor in the cost of your Internet and the power to run the device for that long too?

nintendo's online sucks.

Like what? What convinced you that online play sucks on the Switch sucks? Cause right now, there's zero evidence of that because, y'know, no one has played online with it yet.

Maz- its very very well known that Nintendo is lagging in estore and online functionality for forever. He is basing it on history and that is a fair basis for his comment.

I find that often, people are basing that on hearsay - or absolutely nothing, most of the time. The online experience has been totally fine for me on Wii U and 3DS. Have there been some occasional issues? Sure, but it's hard to say whether that is due to Nintendo's hardware, the specific wi-fi setup in my house, my internet provider, connection issues of the people I was playing with or whatever. All in all, it's been really solid, and not markedly better or worse than other online services I've been using. If it's been that good while it was free, I don't have a huge problem with paying a bit for it to make it even better.

But of course, "Nintendo is bad at the internet" (whatever the hell that means), so people are already 100% convinced that it's gonna suck.

Friend codes are a huge problem. The service sucks because the infrastructure around it sucks. Sure you can play online and have it not lag to hell and back, but that's not what people are talking about. They're talking about the lack of system level friends lists and the ease of messaging and all that compared to Xbox and Playstation.

This is the biggest issue, one that both Microsoft and Sony have solved. I refuse to purchase anything digital from Nintendo until I can replace a piece of hardware and still own it.

• Options
    NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    It would be a really weird move for them to shunt all of their online stuff to smart phones. That completely tanks the notion of it being a complete portable system since you'd need a second device (not sold to you by Nintendo, mind you) for the complete experience. That leads me to believe that it's a problem with messaging and that the smart phone app(s) are an extra thing they wanted to highlight and not actually the only way to use their online services.

• Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    That wording is very strange and I wouldn't put it past Nintendo to have the 'free' game you paid monthly for only last for a month

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    LD50 wrote: »
    People bitch when Nintendo is offering online services for free and people bitch (in advance, before they even know the price or quality of the online services) when Nintendo is asking for a fee in order to improve the online experience. Damned if they do, damned if they don't.

Nintendo needs to improve their online service. I am ok if they charge for that, but it needs to be improved. The only thing that they have said about it other than it costing money worryingly implies that I will have to use my cell phone for voice chat which is absolutely not a service worth paying money for.

wait, you need to use a cell phone!?

I assumed the 'app' was for the switch

if that's true, LOL nintendo.

• Options
    Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular

nintendo's online sucks.

There are no friend codes on Wii U. There are system level friends lists on Wii U and 3DS. Ease of messaging could be improved, sure.

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • Options
    SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    Entaru wrote: »
    You could take that exact same wording and apply it towards the Xbox Live or PS+ games. You get them for free for the month.

After that you can't download that particular deal.

I'm very much a proponant of judgeing people once for their past and then after that you have to give them the chance to change. I hated the online in my wii-u and 3ds. This looks like they are trying to change so I am not going to keep shitting on them for that.

When I see this new system if it's really not a copy of the new modern systems then I will get to judge them on that information.

If they were copying the ps+ model why wouldn't they word it as "while subscribed" rather than "for a month"? The thing that actually bothers me the most about it isn't the implication that the game is only available for a month but the possibility that it is only available for a month due to limitations of the account system and digital game still being tied to the hardware instead of an account based system like every other reasonable online platform in existence.

Because translation is a thing? I mean if I am wrong it's certainly stupid but I just don't think they'd do that.

Seidkona on
    Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • Options
    Ah. Treehouse feed froze.

• Options
    FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    Figgy wrote: »
    klemming wrote: »
    Pretty sure the WiiU had a cut at some point, but I don't remember when. And the Wii didn't need one, as it printed money.

Unless they really kill it in sales next Christmas, I can see a price cut before it's a year old.
    dav3yb wrote: »
    It's okay you get to pick a NES or SNES game! and "Play it for a month"

:?

I thought you just, got a free vc download? Is it just for that month? So they'll lease you a game each month basically?

No one knows yet. People are jumping to conclusions (as usual).

Don't fanboy this, read their website.

I did. Where does it say "lease one game a month and we take it back, making it unplayable"?

c4efunborjwi.png

This wording doesn't really suggest what you're saying though. Because it could mean that the game is free for the month, but it doesn't suggest that it's unplayable after the month is up.

Go look up what suggest means. Yes, it COULD mean what you say, but it SUGGESTS the other.

Don't let your personal loyalty to this brand stop you from parsing the reasonable viewpoints of others.

It's really cute that you keep trying to push this "fanboy" thing on me.

Just reading your tone, man. Any response you give to a negative opinion reads like you're defending your firstborn son and how stupid are we to think something means this instead of that.

XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • Options

Or maybe a ps4 that is physically dead.

nintendo's online sucks.

This is the biggest issue, one that both Microsoft and Sony have solved. I refuse to purchase anything digital from Nintendo until I can replace a piece of hardware and still own it.

This is extra extra worrying given the portability of the Switch, how expensive it is, and how much more of a prospective target for a thief the console is than anything Nintendo has put out yet (and it's durability as a portable, compared to the 3ds).

• Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    People bitch when Nintendo is offering online services for free and people bitch (in advance, before they even know the price or quality of the online services) when Nintendo is asking for a fee in order to improve the online experience. Damned if they do, damned if they don't.

Nintendo needs to improve their online service. I am ok if they charge for that, but it needs to be improved. The only thing that they have said about it other than it costing money worryingly implies that I will have to use my cell phone for voice chat which is absolutely not a service worth paying money for.

I have an iPhone 3s, which I will not replace until it is super dead. If the phone app stuff is true, I can almost guarantee that the app wont work on my phone. I really hope it's poor wording, because then I do take issue with them charging for the online service.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Cynical Old Man Registered User regular
    Pretty sure the WiiU had a cut at some point, but I don't remember when. And the Wii didn't need one, as it printed money.

Unless they really kill it in sales next Christmas, I can see a price cut before it's a year old.

I thought you just, got a free vc download? Is it just for that month? So they'll lease you a game each month basically?

I did. Where does it say "lease one game a month and we take it back, making it unplayable"?

c4efunborjwi.png

This wording doesn't really suggest what you're saying though. Because it could mean that the game is free for the month, but it doesn't suggest that it's unplayable after the month is up.

Go look up what suggest means. Yes, it COULD mean what you say, but it SUGGESTS the other.

Don't let your personal loyalty to this brand stop you from parsing the reasonable viewpoints of others.

It's really cute that you keep trying to push this "fanboy" thing on me.

Just reading your tone, man. Any response you give to a negative opinion reads like you're defending your firstborn son and how stupid are we to think something means this instead of that.

I'm not calling you or anyone else stupid. But by calling me a fanboy at every turn isn't really helping me understand your frustrations with the console.

• Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular

This is more examples of what I was talking about. It's all uninformed meme at this point. Wii U never had friend codes. They've evolved past that yet people keep bringing it up like it's a current concern.

I guarantee you people will be posting things like "oh we're paying this sub so we finally don't have to use friend codes." And then the next Nintendo console will come out and say "man are we going to have friend codes again?" Because that's how the meme works.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    After sleeping on it, waking up just baffled at that presentation. At the cost of everything, at the poor game showing, at everything.

Are they still not cognizant of the fact that the Wii success was of the one-off zeitgeist variety? That they needed to come at this launch as though the future of their company depended on it?

Like, if this thing was launching at $200 with even two more big games, we wouldn't even be having this conversation. But as it stands now, I - and many other people - came out of thing going "eh I'll wait for Game X and a price drop". That seems like a bad way to launch your new flagship product.

• Options

We don't know for sure, but this is what it says:

kxnx8jmxqs5y.png

• Options
    twmjr wrote: »

Our new dedicated smart device app will connect to Nintendo Switch and let you invite friends to play online, set play appointments, and chat with friends during online matches in compatible games─all from your smart device."

Wait, you need a smart phone for this? You can't just chat with folks on the console itself?

Yeah this too is concerning. I'm guessing they are still shying away from voice chat? Phone keyboard is handy to be able to type on but to use for online chat? That's weird if true.

I thought this was pretty clear during the stream last night; it sounds like all of the on-line interaction functionality will be smart-phone/device based.

Switch has a mic jack.

1wX4JKA.png

"Headphone and Mic-Jack - You can connect headphones, a microphone or headphones with integrated microphone"

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    BlueBlueBlueBlue Registered User regular
    I can see that phrasing meaning either thing

Gonna reserve opinion until it's one way or another

Though if it's only playable during that month I'm going to value that near zero

CD World Tour status:
    Baidol Voprostein Avraham Thetheroo Taya Zerofill Effef Crimson King Lalabox Mortal Sky ASimPerson Sal Wiet Theidar Tynic Speed Racer Neotoma Goatmon ==>Larlar Munkus Beaver Day of the Bear miscellaneousinsanity Skull Man Delzhand Caulk Bite 6 Somestickguy
  • Options
    Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    I'm sure Nintendo is doing a lot of dancing behind closed doors trying to figure out what the hell they can justify as a monthly subscription fee for their anomalous online experience.

Let me help you out with that, Nintendo. Make it a flat 5 bucks a month.

Done.

• Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular

c4efunborjwi.png

I think it absolutely suggests that. It quite clearly says you can play the game, for free, for a month.

They specifically set the time period there, its only free for that month.

If these were free game giveaways like PSPlus logically it would be advertised as for free, for as long as you are an active subscriber. Just look at how Sony goes out of their way in their PSN FAQ to point that out.

https://support.us.playstation.com/articles/en_US/KC_Article/PS-Plus-Information
    Q: How long do I get to keep the free games with PS Plus?

A: Games you get with PS Plus are free to download with a PS Plus membership. As long as you are a PS Plus member, you’ll always have access to any game you’ve added to your library, even if you’ve previously deleted a game from your hard drive.

I think it's obvious these incentives are nothing more than free month long rentals.

• Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular

Nope, PS4. Never owned a PS3. The thing's been sitting unused for *way* too long, except for the occasional Remote Play session. Persona looks to be it's last hurrah, and that's a single-player game so I won't need PS+.

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular

We don't know that you need to use a cell phone. What we do know is that they're going to make a bunch of apps so you can do console level stuff without having to turn on or go into the system menu of the console. Extend kids play time while they're in the middle of a race? Sure, here's an extra 15 minutes.
    Want to chat with a friend without jumping out of Zelda? Sure, it seems you can do that.

They've not said that it isn't available on the console, only that they're going to have cell phone apps that link with it.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    mojojoeomojojoeo A block off the park, living the dream.Registered User regular
    edited January 2017

A lot of that is pretty much just meme at this point. People are still talking about friend codes and Wii U never had them. Online games on Wii U played fine, I spent a lot of time in Splatoon and Kart and Smash. They do some pretty fully-featured online with stuff like Mario Maker having comments, ratings, search and sorting etc. It's unarguable that they know how to do this stuff. Games download and install quickly. eShop is fine.

Basically the only place they still lag behind is in ownership, games tied to whatever account or device. Everything else has been quite competent for ages and people insist on the meme "lol Nintendo bad at online."

I agree with you on the memes, but im not talking about that. Dont hand wave it away as "lol nintendo bad online"

Wiiu was better but streets behind. Kart ran extremely well, but almost zero social interaction. Had to skype on a cell to talk to my people while playing. And That's just dumb. we are living in the future man!
    Owning a ps4 alongside my wiiu-> the comparison there is stark in every aspect.

The problem isn't lol nintendo online- its that they are asking me to pay for something that in the past hasn't even been close to whats modern and happening everywhere else.

RE= using a cell phone for social stuff- is that really bad? you are getting a free screen.... that may end up a cool value add if its optional. Ima wait and see on that one

mojojoeo on
    Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
  • Options
    Mr KhanMr Khan Not Everyone WAHHHRegistered User regular

c4efunborjwi.png

I think if they meant you could keep it, it would say "each" instead of "for a."

I got my preorder! 4th in line at a suburban gamestop not too close to any colleges, so i figured/hoped turnout would be a little on the light side at 10:00 on a work/school day. They said their allotment was 35 units and about 6 of them went when the doors opened.

• Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular

This is more examples of what I was talking about. It's all uninformed meme at this point. Wii U never had friend codes. They've evolved past that yet people keep bringing it up like it's a current concern.

I guarantee you people will be posting things like "oh we're paying this sub so we finally don't have to use friend codes." And then the next Nintendo console will come out and say "man are we going to have friend codes again?" Because that's how the meme works.

It's a current concern because the 3ds and even their new app Super Mario Run use them.

And it is not the fault of consumers that they are expecting this. It is Nintendo's fault for failing to demonstrate what it will have and being so late to the game on basic account functionality that everyone else has.

I did think the Wii U had friend codes. It never did? How do you add a friend? Didn't the whole NNID thing happen a while after the launch?

• Options
    twmjr wrote: »

Switch has a mic jack.

1wX4JKA.png

"Headphone and Mic-Jack - You can connect headphones, a microphone or headphones with integrated microphone"

How are you going to use that when you're playing on the couch in front of your tv?

• Options
    dav3ybdav3yb Registered User regular
    However if you're willing to believe that they'll disable the game after a month I don't blame you.

To be honest, if you remove all the little clarification things or whatever, it does seem to read "Download and play an NES/SNES game for free for a month."

It sounds like it could just be a single rolling free game, but who the hell knows, i couldn't get a ton of good information from such a sloppy presentation anyways.

PSN: daveyb1337 || XBL: dav3yb360 || Steam: dav3yb || Switch: SW-5274-1897-8495 || 3DS FC: 2079-7419-8843
  • Options
    Really, I don't see the system as being great for being out in the public. It's size really ramps up the chance of getting stolen.

It works better for travel and gatherings.

• Options

We don't know for sure, but this is what it says:

kxnx8jmxqs5y.png

yeah, so definitely a cell phone app

ahhahahahha that's the dumbest thing I could have imagined for a console releasing in 2017*

*possibly tied with $100 controllers

• Options

Nope, PS4. Never owned a PS3. The thing's been sitting unused for *way* too long, except for the occasional Remote Play session. Persona looks to be it's last hurrah, and that's a single-player game so I won't need PS+.

Horizon Zero Dawn! That's a big one i'm excited for. And Last of Us Part 2. And there's that spider-man game that looks okay.

PS4 is hardly dead. It has a pretty good slate of stuff coming up. This isn't really the thread for that though.

• Options
    mojojoeomojojoeo A block off the park, living the dream.Registered User regular
    edited January 2017

Switch has a mic jack.

1wX4JKA.png

No only that but its standard! not proprietary and thats cool!

mojojoeo on
    Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
  • Options
    I'm sure Nintendo is doing a lot of dancing behind closed doors trying to figure out what the hell they can justify as a monthly subscription fee for their anomalous online experience.

Let me help you out with that, Nintendo. Make it a flat 5 bucks a month.

Done.

While I like the idea of being able to go monthly for a small price, I feel like that adds up to too much.

It should be like...$5 if you want just one month, or $20-30 for a whole year at a time. They will get a lot of people going for the yearly.

• Options
    edited January 2017
    BlueBlue wrote: »
    I can see that phrasing meaning either thing

Gonna reserve opinion until it's one way or another

Though if it's only playable during that month I'm going to value that near zero

the phrasing specifically says "will connect to nintendo switch" which means that the functionality resides completely on an outside device (smart phone or tablet) (which hilariously must already have paid online to work)

edit: whoops, I thought you were talking about the app. apologies!

Xaquin on
  • Options
    Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular

It's a current concern because the 3ds and even their new app Super Mario Run use them.

And it is not the fault of consumers that they are expecting this. It is Nintendo's fault for failing to demonstrate what it will have and being so late to the game on basic account functionality that everyone else has.

I did think the Wii U had friend codes. It never did? How do you add a friend? Didn't the whole NNID thing happen a while after the launch?

Super Mario Run requires you to enter a code to add friends, but that's no different from tons of current mobile games. It doesn't really mean anything.

Wii U had the NNID right from the start. Never had friend codes.

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • Options
    Also I think it's weird that they mentioned that it has a touch screen, but no one ever touched it.

This discussion has been closed.