As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Yakuza: Like a Thread

• Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    Not only does the spearfishing minigame kinda rule, it has the absolute best shirt-ripoff-reveal this series has ever done

I laughed for a minute straight, no exaggeration

Yeah, the spearfishing is one of the things Yakuza 6 does that I unequivocally love

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    Mysst wrote: »
    I'm playing Yakuza 0

I do not want to do the Cabaret/Real Estate things at ALL

I just want to find out what happens with Majima, who is very good

Cabaret is good tho

I’m not entirely sure how to play

Some guys wandered in, I assigned a hostess to their table, and then they were “extremely satisfied” even though there was a frowny face next to them?

It helps when you get some higher rank hostesses. Once you figure it out you end up making SO much money and the game gets more fun.

The real estate minigame is boring though.

• Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    rhylith wrote: »
    Mysst wrote: »
    I'm playing Yakuza 0

I do not want to do the Cabaret/Real Estate things at ALL

I just want to find out what happens with Majima, who is very good

Cabaret is good tho

I’m not entirely sure how to play

Some guys wandered in, I assigned a hostess to their table, and then they were “extremely satisfied” even though there was a frowny face next to them?

It helps when you get some higher rank hostesses. Once you figure it out you end up making SO much money and the game gets more fun.

The real estate minigame is boring though.

It does contain the best non-boss battle music in the game, though.

https://youtu.be/RlEGflonuZA

ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular

I liked the Real Estate minigame.

It was very set it and forget it. Only thing that would have made it better was if there was some way to do it remotely. (But the 80s so no cellphones.)

• Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    The timer on it didn’t really line up with how long it took to do other activities, so I’d end up just idling a bunch or feeling like I had to cut whatever I was doing short to run back to the office.

• Options
    MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    you can just about squeeze in a round of catfight waiting for the real estate timer, which coincidentally is also the fastest way to make money. or lose money

ikbUJdU.jpg
  • Options
    AshcroftAshcroft LOL The PayloadRegistered User regular
    I'll just, leave this here

(it's good)

ZD98Zka.png
  • Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    Put that as DLC in Project Diva please.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    the bakamitai deepfake memes destroy me everytime

• Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    I do like Yakuza 6, but boy howdy do I have a big gripe about it.

Big Ending spoilers
    Fucking Daigo, Kiryu? Your letter goes to that shitkid and not your fucking daughter who's been going through a horribly tough and awful experience, you macho meathead schmuck? Really left me sour.

ygPIJ.gif
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Yakuza 6 is near the top of my Yakuza tier list.

But I agree the ending was just downright awful.

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited August 2020
    So I got to 3 and I agree it is a weird one.

I like that you get a bigger focus on Kiryu's personal life but there is far less punching at least early game.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    AshcroftAshcroft LOL The PayloadRegistered User regular
  • Options
    Butler For Life #1Butler For Life #1 Twinning is WinningRegistered User regular
    Just finished 0 and thought it was great

Although I found Majima’s story to be much more impactful than Kiryu’s

Kiryu still feels like a bit of a cipher to me, although I think that might be because he’s just less expressive

Also I have to be honest, I completely lost track of the Yakuza family relationships and intrigue webs by the end

I’m honestly not sure who the Omi Aliance is, other than that they’re not Tojo
    And I’m still not exactly sure what the extent of Shibusawa’s actions were

He was just sort of there in the background as Kiryu and Kuze faced off, and then suddenly he’s the final boss and Kiryu’s foil

• Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    Kazuma is just Jesus in a videogame.

• Options
    H0b0manH0b0man Registered User regular
    Big thing you need to know with regards to the Omi Alliance and Tojo Clan is that they are two of the biggest Yakuza organizations in Japan, that they are constantly at each other's throats, and that the Omi are based out of Osaka and the Tojo are based out of Tokyo. They are basically equivalent groups, they just have different turf.

And ya while I love my good punch-boy Kiryu, he's mostly played as the straight man for the majority of the time in contrast to the rest of the game's craziness. He's good for what he is, but he's def not the most interesting character in any of the games I've played.

FFXIV: Agran Trask
  • Options
    DaebunzDaebunz Registered User regular
    he may not be interesting but he does dropkick a guy out a window so hard he almost flies out the window himself and that's pretty cool

7yh4xczljsym.png
  • Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    Sidestory Kiryu is significantly more interesting than main story Kiryu

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    I guess there's all kinds of daddies in the world

• Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    Mr. G wrote: »
    Sidestory Kiryu is significantly more interesting than main story Kiryu

While I largely agree, Yakuza 3 and Yakuza 5 at least attempt to bridge the Two Kiryus

• Options
    Butler For Life #1Butler For Life #1 Twinning is WinningRegistered User regular
    me, learning that the lieutenants from Yakuza 0 are modeled after real people: "that's cool!"

me, learning that Mr. Libido is modeled after a real person: "jesus fucking christ!"

• Options
    SproutSprout Registered User regular
    edited August 2020
    Awano is straight-up the Japanese Micheal Madsen.

Sprout on
  • Options
    H0b0manH0b0man Registered User regular
    The best part of when I found out that Yakuza models their characters after their VAs was that it led to me finding this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=txcVMXzRNoQ

FFXIV: Agran Trask
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    me, learning that the lieutenants from Yakuza 0 are modeled after real people: "that's cool!"

me, learning that Mr. Libido is modeled after a real person: "jesus fucking christ!"

I'd already know of Riki Takeuchi before Yakuza 0, so seeing him as Awano made me real happy.

Also made me mentally hear this during his scenes.

https://youtu.be/txcVMXzRNoQ

Edit: goddamn ghosted

Johnny Chopsocky on
    ygPIJ.gif
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    I'm relieved I'm not the only one who hates 6's ending.
    H0b0man wrote: »
    The best part of when I found out that Yakuza models their characters after their VAs was that it led to me finding this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=txcVMXzRNoQ

Proving Yakuza karaoke can still be much weirder.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Speaking of Kiryu, him being kinda a stick in the mud/robot man is why I am so excited for the new MC.

Also I cannot believe that after being excited for that damn game for so long I'll end up not playing it until like I dunno... maybe 2 months after it actually comes out?

UGH! Damn that release date and November having too many games.

• Options
    HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    I started playing with Yakuza 0 on PS5 because I'd never heard of the series before. I liked playing as Kiryu but I LOVED playing as Majima and could definitely go for more playing as him. Then I picked up Kiwami 1 not knowing it was a remake of Yakuza 1, but didn't get very far just due to burnout on the series. One thing I will note from Yakuza 0 is it really set up to me how good friends Nishki and Kiryu were

Recently I played Yakuza Kiwami 1 on Xbox since it's on Gamepass and I totally bought into how Kiryu would take the fall for Nishki based the events of 0. But I was really surprised by how he showed up late in the game wanting to kill Kiryu over money. I get that 10 years can change a man, but it really felt like it came out of nowhere.

This rolled right into playing Yakuza Kiwami 2 on Xbox, and I think the changes from 0/1 are refreshing. And I like how they have fleshed out a lot of characters from the previous game like Date-san. The combat is also way better, because the enemies that constantly block/dodge everything are so much rarer (and the ones that always block or always dodge are meant to be killed in other ways). Story wise, I like how the antagonist is basically just Kiryu with ambition.

• Options
    NitsuaNitsua Gloucester, VARegistered User regular
    Heffling wrote: »
    I started playing with Yakuza 0 on PS5 because I'd never heard of the series before. I liked playing as Kiryu but I LOVED playing as Majima and could definitely go for more playing as him. Then I picked up Kiwami 1 not knowing it was a remake of Yakuza 1, but didn't get very far just due to burnout on the series. One thing I will note from Yakuza 0 is it really set up to me how good friends Nishki and Kiryu were

Recently I played Yakuza Kiwami 1 on Xbox since it's on Gamepass and I totally bought into how Kiryu would take the fall for Nishki based the events of 0. But I was really surprised by how he showed up late in the game wanting to kill Kiryu over money. I get that 10 years can change a man, but it really felt like it came out of nowhere.

This rolled right into playing Yakuza Kiwami 2 on Xbox, and I think the changes from 0/1 are refreshing. And I like how they have fleshed out a lot of characters from the previous game like Date-san. The combat is also way better, because the enemies that constantly block/dodge everything are so much rarer (and the ones that always block or always dodge are meant to be killed in other ways). Story wise, I like how the antagonist is basically just Kiryu with ambition.

I think we found a secret PS5 beta tester!

Though seriously, I’ve considered playing the Yakuza games on my Xbox One X, but I’ve already played through most of the ones on there on my PS4 and have gotten at least halfway through Kiwami 2. If they put X enhancements into the games, I would probably give it a go, but I’m really disappointed that with Kiwami 2 in particular they didn’t even put the PS4 pro enhancements on the X. I still want to get Like a Dragon on the Series X, but since I have 0-6 on the PS4, even with them coming to GamePass I would be hard pressed to play them over again at this point. Even though I like the Xbox controller overall more than I do Sony’s iterations over the years, when trying to play Yakuza the One controller actually feels like it doesn’t belong... it feels foreign in my hands while trying to play it. I never expected them to ever leave Sony’s ecosystem though (even though some of them have come to Nintendo systems previously) and I picked up all of them before even learning they were all seemingly coming over. I want to support this effort, since more people getting to play this series is a great thing, but I think I may come to it later when I want to replay the series rather than interrupt my current play through of it.

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    I was actually just thinking about getting into Kiwami 2 recently, that's now one of the only ones I haven't played

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    Kiwami 2 is so good because of all the great QoL changes

Playing the series starting at 0 is such a rollercoaster because 0 is fantastic and modern feeling, the Kiwami loses a lot of great features that 0 had.

Then Kiwami 2 brings almost everything great from 0 back and even more.

Then Y3 loses everything and somehow even felt more stripped down than Kiwami.

I just finished 4 and it’s now back up around 0s range again.

PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    I kind of enjoyed Kiryu as the stoic guy with a strict code of honor who more so reacts to the world around them than imposes their will.

But I also agree that having an MC that seemingly has more desires will be a nice change of pace after 7 games of that.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    Boy this Y6 story is flat

Never satisfying to have something played as a big surprise that was obvious like 20 hours ago

• Options

Never satisfying to have something played as a big surprise that was obvious like 20 hours ago

Alright, here's the fuckin' thing about Yakuza.

I typed this post, and then TEN MINUTES LATER
    Yakuza members playing-keep-away with masked, armed men, tossing an infant through the air back and forth while sprinting.

Even bad Yakuza is still capable of greatness

• Options
    SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    The current best available state of the game series in English is

Yakuza 0 - Last-gen engine, original release
    Yakuza Kiwami - Last-gen engine, remake of 1
    Yakuza Kiwami 2 - Current engine, remake of 2
    Yakuza 3-5 Remasters of 2 engines ago
    Yakuza 6 - Current engine, original game
    Judgment - Current engine, original game
    Yakuza 7 - upcoming, current engine, original game, turn-based

Which for someone stepping in right now ends up with a quality roller-coaster

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • Options

One thing I did like about that:
    Kiryu totally knew. He was just waiting to see if he'd fess up on his own. It's so refreshing to finally see Kiryu not be flabbergasted by an obvious reveal but to finally be ahead of the curve.

ygPIJ.gif
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    SanderJK wrote: »
    The current best available state of the game series in English is

Yakuza 0 - Last-gen engine, original release
    Yakuza Kiwami - Last-gen engine, remake of 1
    Yakuza Kiwami 2 - Current engine, remake of 2
    Yakuza 3-5 Remasters of 2 engines ago
    Yakuza 6 - Current engine, original game
    Judgment - Current engine, original game
    Yakuza 7 - upcoming, current engine, original game, turn-based

Which for someone stepping in right now ends up with a quality roller-coaster

Starting with 0 is weird cause its like damn you've probably played the one with the best overall plot straight away.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    It's funny how in 6,
    you keep waiting to find out some other explanation for Haruka's child, only to find out that, nope, it really is hers.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    DiarmuidDiarmuid Amazing Meatball Registered User regular
    The main story of 6 is definitely a bit bleh overall

But 6 also has some very good substories

This discussion has been closed.