Options

Yakuza: Like a Thread

• Options
    KnobKnob TURN THE BEAT BACK InternetModerator mod
    As far as I can tell almost everything you would normally do in a yakuza game has a chance of resulting in a majima fight

• Options
    MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    Knob wrote: »
    As far as I can tell almost everything you would normally do in a yakuza game has a chance of resulting in a majima fight

even already fighting!

ikbUJdU.jpg
  • Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    Does Kiwami/1 explain how Kiryu and Majima know each other?

I thought it would come up in 0 but they never cross paths til the very very end

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    I assume they just met up in the 7 years intervening

• Options
    Grey Ghost wrote: »

Is there a timejump at the very end of 0? cause in that little scene Majima already knows and recognizes him

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    They don't have any real ties beyond belonging to the same family. Majima simply recognizes Kiryu as the most challenging and amusing guy in town to scrap with.

• Options
    -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular

And not just fights, Majima can challenge you to mini games and side activities.
    Even to the point of Majima becoming super invested in Pocket Circuit racing to try and beat kiryu.

• Options
    DaebunzDaebunz Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    for those of you playing kiwami right now, important thing about majima everywhere

once you max out a rank it essentially triggers a "rank up event" type encounter, and you cannot progress in majima everywhere or encounter him until you complete that event and officially rank up. usually you get notified about it in some way

I spent a very long time wondering what the deal was and why it stopped before I looked it up

Daebunz on
    7yh4xczljsym.png
  • Options
    ZayZay yes i am zay Registered User regular
    Mr. G wrote: »

Is there a timejump at the very end of 0? cause in that little scene Majima already knows and recognizes him

there's 7 years between the end of 0 and the beginning of 1, and 17 years between the end of 0 and the majority of 1

sthbuf0g7b7y.png
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    Ah, so it's sort of like Clouseau and Kato

• Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    Mysst wrote: »

even already fighting!

It blew my mind early on when
    Kiryu is trying to escape the funeral, and one of the guys to appear is Majima.

I think I had a full meter and just clobbered him in one blow, though.

Another point later on, he was absolutely relentless during encounters, and every time I'd go recharge, I was drawn into another scene, and it went on back and forth like that for a while, and was getting annoying when he just stopped and I could finally continue the story.

It was about that point I decided to quit holding back.

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    oh fuck, the real estate stuff

goodbye to the entire story, this is all I do now

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    I said the same thing and finally was like "Ok fine I'll progress the story because I need to find more people to work for my real estate biz and I guess that progressing the story is the only way."

Then the end of Chapter 6 happened and how the fuck do they keep getting me to care SO MUCH about the plot before yanking me over to the other character EVERY TIME.

When I left Majima's last chapter I was like "Ugh I just wanna know what happens next to him SO BAD why do I have to go back to Kiryu" and now I'm like "IM OVER THIS MAJIMA STUFF WHAT HAPPENS TO KIRYU NEXT"

This game is so freaking great.

PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    Finally found the downside to Majima Anywhere. Getting slugger or officer to spawn specifically as a wandering street encounter fucking sucks.

• Options
    edited January 2018
    the trick to that is just farm majimas. it's kind of a pain but if you go in and out of a building it resets him and you can just keep looping until he's nearby, and all you need to do is look at him to tell if he's what you want before you start the fight

i finished kiwami last night and it made me like the ending to 5 more, retroactively. after that i finished getting majima to SSS and finishing the upgrades to dragon of dojima. i kind of want to do a few side stories but having to contend with "random boss battles, anywhere" is kind of.... a lot. im sorry majima please go away

Zay on
    sthbuf0g7b7y.png
  • Options
    Well yeah, its doable but it still fuckin sucks.

I also thought Dragon style would start to be somewhat usable after unlocking the full rush combo and heat actions but Nope, still just a shittier Brawler and will likely continue to be so until i get real deep into the tree and finish komaki

• Options
    i never particularly liked the dragon style basic combos, but the komaki tiger drop or whatever is game breaking so i just cheesed out everything once i got that

sthbuf0g7b7y.png
  • Options
    Kiryu is so sad when his pocket car falls off

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    Dragon isn't even generating heat for me yet
    Like at all
    Granted I'm only at rank F still

• Options
    jammujammu 2020 is now. Registered User regular
    It basically sucks until you complete the Majima everywhere.

Ww8FAMg.jpg
  • Options
    Dragon isn't even generating heat for me yet
    Like at all
    Granted I'm only at rank F still

Dragon does not generate Heat nor let you use Heat actions until you unlock the Dragon Heat ability, which I believe is get to Rank C and then beat up a wandering Slugger.

It can't be an event Slugger or a hiding Slugger, either. Grrr.

• Options
    well I just lost basically this entire day to messing with the real estate stuff

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
  • Options
    Would anyone have any recommendations on movies to watch if I'm extremely into this series' whole vibe?

I have seen precisely no Japanese movies outside of Kurosawa, so I have no familiarity with the Japanese take on crime movies

Hey I wanna go back to this because I also super want to know what movies to check out

Other than, I guess, the actual live action Yakuza adaptation

• Options
    They're Chinese, not Japanese, but hong kong era John Woo films like The Killer and Hard Boiled are A+ top notch.

A Colt Is My Passport is a cool as fuck japanese noir crime thriller, if you don't mind 60's era film pacing. If you like Kurosawa, you'll probably be fine.

Battles without Honour and Humanity is great as long as you're cool with nihilsm and violence.

• Options
    AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
    If we're going to add Chinese movies into the mix check out Johnnie To's stuff, like Election

• Options
    as much as I love Majima, his side stuff ain't got shit compared to Kiryu's

6F32U1X.png
  • Options

I have put more time into the cabaret and I rescind this

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    Battles Without Honor and Humanity are quintessential Yakuza films, but they can drag a little.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular

I have put more time into the cabaret and I rescind this

my wife said she came near to divorcing me cause of the cabaret song

ikbUJdU.jpg
  • Options
    Also the film adaptation of the first Yakuza game is available on psn if you just can't get enough

7yh4xczljsym.png
  • Options
    Also the film adaptation of the first Yakuza game is available on psn if you just can't get enough

Or you could throw up in a cup and pour it into your eyes and ears

• Options
    Yeah you're not wrong

7yh4xczljsym.png
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    They're Chinese, not Japanese, but hong kong era John Woo films like The Killer and Hard Boiled are A+ top notch.

A Colt Is My Passport is a cool as fuck japanese noir crime thriller, if you don't mind 60's era film pacing. If you like Kurosawa, you'll probably be fine.

Battles without Honour and Humanity is great as long as you're cool with nihilsm and violence.

A Colt is my Passport is the one with the cool gunfight in that wasteland at the end, right?

Because yeah that's a heck of a film

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    Damn that's a hell of a title too

• Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    edited January 2018
    AtomicTofu wrote: »
    If we're going to add Chinese movies into the mix check out Johnnie To's stuff, like Election

Don't forget SPL (Killzone in the US). Donnie Yen delivers some Kiryu-esqe thumpings in that one.

Johnny Chopsocky on
    ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    Do you think Kiryu even knows that there are other ways to open doors besides "punch a fool through them"

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    I really have to finish Kiwami. I liked it but I had already spend like 100+ hours playing 0 just before and needed a little break.

• Options
    edited January 2018
    Do you think Kiryu even knows that there are other ways to open doors besides "punch a fool through them"

Sometimes he kicks in a door normally...theres just usually a goon standing on the other side

Knob on
  • Options
    miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    edited January 2018
    AtomicTofu wrote: »

tony leung in that movie is basically peak Yakuza Villain without being a Yakuza Villain

miscellaneousinsanity on
    uc3ufTB.png
This discussion has been closed.