As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[NFL] Thread: There Will Be No Overtime For This Thread.

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    edited January 2017
    Jubal77 wrote: »
    Not nice dulling excalibur's tip like that.

That's the first thing I thought, too!

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    ED!ED! Registered User regular
    I mean is this team just not healthy? What the fuck?

"Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Wait...it's still the third quarter?

• Options
    Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    Not an int.

• Options
    y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular
    lS4LBZm.jpg

Nailed it. Wish I had actually backed this up with a wager

C8Ft8GE.jpg
    maybe i'm streaming terrible dj right now if i am its here
  • Options
    y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular
    Wonder what the odds were

C8Ft8GE.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    ED! wrote: »
    I mean is this team just not healthy? What the fuck?

Also they just weren't a very good team and were riding a red hot rodgers

y2jake215 on
    C8Ft8GE.jpg
  • Options
    admanb wrote: »
    admanb wrote: »
    ObiFett wrote: »
    Apparently there is a rule preventing safeties due to momentum taking a player into the end zone.

Learn something new everyday.

I think that applies to players chasing after the ball toward the end zone. Sure. But rolling in? Why wasn't he rolling when he was grabbing for the ball?

The only way for it to become a safety is if he rolled into the end zone, got up, ran out of the end zone, and then ended up back in the end zone and down. Otherwise, the worst that could happen is he gets forward progress at the 1.

*or if he got up in the end zone and committed a foul.

By that logic, a player could intercept a pass inside the twenty and then run hell for leather into the end zone just to get better field position. The player literally had possession of the ball and then rolled himself into the end zone. Plus, the idea that he was 'in' the end zone because his foot was on the line like a wrestler with his leg on the ropes is really silly as y2jake points out. And anyway he wasn't downing a punt, which is basically a dead ball play. The ball was live and could be advanced (or not) by any player in possession of it.

That would just give them possession wherever he intercepted the ball, because of forward progress.

I agree that the spot was questionable, but it wasn't a safety.

Now that I think about it, this is wrong, too. Forward progress is only a factor if the opposing team makes physical contact that drives the player backward. The player with possession, may turn around on his own, even after contact, and run toward his own end zone and the spot of the ball is where the actual tackle begins.

• Options
    What.

lolrefs

• Options
    edited January 2017
    y2jake215 wrote: »

I thought the Falcons were right behind NE and Dal in SB odds back then.

Jubal77 on
  • Options
    What.

lolrefs

Feet first has to be towards the end zone i guess heh.

• Options
    ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular
    If Rodgers can bring Green Bay back from this, I won't even be mad if New England loses to Green Bay in the Super Bowl.

So, I suppose that means that my cheering preference is now:
    Packers > Patriots > Falcons > Steelers.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options

It's still good odds, with all the teams still alive. Like +1000 or something.

I was gonna make a pats/Falcons super bowl bet I think.. good chance of that hitting

C8Ft8GE.jpg
  • Options

It's still good odds, with all the teams still alive. Like +1000 or something.

I was gonna make a pats/Falcons super bowl bet I think.. good chance of that hitting

Yeah I think it would have been somewhere between 1.75-2.75 I would wager... :)

• Options
    What.

lolrefs

I hit send right before they pick up the flag. And it has to be at least feet first in the direction of the run. Otherwise, why not just call all contact on the QB a personal foul?

• Options
    What.

lolrefs

I hit send right before they pick up the flag. And it has to be at least feet first in the direction of the run. Otherwise, why not just call all contact on the QB a personal foul?

Fair enough. To me it was clearly him giving himself up though.

• Options
    Man I miss Quinn.

• Options
    They just let Rodgers get sacked by his facemask.

• Options

Looked like it could've been his shoulder pads. They didn't show a good angle

C8Ft8GE.jpg
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular

Only one team can defeat this obvious ref bias.

The Patriots! *cape*

• Options
    SeñorAmorSeñorAmor !!! Registered User regular
    Hmm. Think that was a fumble.

• Options
    hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular
    Was that a facemask? I couldn't see on the replay whether it was facemask or shoulderpad.

• Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    hippofant wrote: »
    Was that a facemask? I couldn't see on the replay whether it was facemask or shoulderpad.

I don't think there was a clear angle.

• Options
    What.

lolrefs

"Giving yourself up" has to take the form of a feet-first slide or a knee, IIRC. Maybe some other stuff, but they're specific moves that are codified and otherwise uncommon (so that they can't be mistaken). So when you slide feet first, you only get yardage up to where you start the slide; if you slide any other way, you're not "giving yourself up," so you get the field position of wherever the ball ends up until someone touches you.

• Options
    What.

lolrefs

"Giving yourself up" has to take the form of a feet-first slide or a knee, IIRC. Maybe some other stuff, but they're specific moves that are codified and otherwise uncommon (so that they can't be mistaken). So when you slide feet first, you only get yardage up to where you start the slide; if you slide any other way, you're not "giving yourself up," so you get the field position of wherever the ball ends up until someone touches you.

Thanks for the paragraph. My contention is he did go knee first just not up field.

• Options
    LOL that attempted flop tho.

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    lol I've never seen a facemask penalty on a QB

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    LOL that attempted flop tho.

Are there penalties against simulation in the NFL?

• Options
    What.

lolrefs

Thanks for the paragraph. My contention is he did go knee first just not up field.

Sorry, to be clear, it's a feet-first slide or taking a knee (kneeling).

Also, lol that flop.

• Options
    What.

lolrefs

Sorry, to be clear, it's a feet-first slide or taking a knee (kneeling).

Also, lol that flop.

Got it :).

• Options
    This game flew for the first half and now it's draaaagging

C8Ft8GE.jpg
  • Options
    Now let's just have the Pats crush the Falcons and I'll be complete.

• Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    The other game is almost ready to start!

• Options
    Did they try to sneak Papa John's pizza into that trophy shot.

• Options
    Fondor_YardsFondor_Yards Elite Four Member: Hydra Registered User regular
    Did they seriously push back the start of the 2nd game so the super boring end of the 1st can finish? Lame.

Secrets, lies, and tragedy. The trifecta.
    3DS Code: 5043-2172-1361
    Xbone Tag: Salal al Din
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    It's supposed to start in seven minutes.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    DranythDranyth Surf ColoradoRegistered User regular
    Veevee wrote: »
    Dranyth wrote: »
    Heh some shitty Pats fan pulled the fire alarm at the hotel the Steelers were staying in at 340 am this morning.

It feels like this happens every year doesn't it? You think they would slip the hotel staff an extra hundred bucks to make sure their guys get a full night's sleep.

By... disabling the fire alarm?

There are 3 things you can do to prevent someone pulling an alarm: 1) have people constantly patrol the building looking for smoke and disable the pull alarms, 2) post a guard at at all pull alarms, and 3) rent all the rooms so only the team and hotel staff is in the building.

All 3 are varying degrees of expensive, but I'm sure an NFL team could afford it to make sure their team gets a good night's sleep if they wanted to.

None of this involves slipping the hotel staff an extra hundred bucks.

• Options
    Fondor_YardsFondor_Yards Elite Four Member: Hydra Registered User regular
    Veevee wrote: »
    Heh some shitty Pats fan pulled the fire alarm at the hotel the Steelers were staying in at 340 am this morning.

It feels like this happens every year doesn't it? You think they would slip the hotel staff an extra hundred bucks to make sure their guys get a full night's sleep.

By... disabling the fire alarm?

There are 3 things you can do to prevent someone pulling an alarm: 1) have people constantly patrol the building looking for smoke and disable the pull alarms, 2) post a guard at at all pull alarms, and 3) rent all the rooms so only the team and hotel staff is in the building.

All 3 are varying degrees of expensive, but I'm sure an NFL team could afford it to make sure their team gets a good night's sleep if they wanted to.

None of this involves slipping the hotel staff an extra hundred bucks.

Ok my bad. A few thousand then.

Secrets, lies, and tragedy. The trifecta.
    3DS Code: 5043-2172-1361
    Xbone Tag: Salal al Din
  • Options
    OH GOD NOT SIMMS NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Edwin McCain.

Holy God this is bad.

This discussion has been closed.