Options

Transformers: May 8th is the 40th anniversary!

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    If I did not already own Masterpiece Grimlock, SS-86 Grimlock would be an instant buy.

Tox: One important thing to keep in mind when comparing PotP and War for Cybertron is inflation. Hasbro's constantly fighting a balance of affordability to impulse buyers, the rising costs of raw materials, and including all the complex engineering that transformers demand (both in R&D and in assembly in the Vietnamese factories). Siege/Earthrise/Kingdom toys are NOTICEABLY smaller than Combiner Wars/Titans Return/ Power of the Primes for the equivalent prices, just like the Prime trilogy is much smaller than the Thrilling 30. Even more, halfway through Titans / PotP they started using these REALLY CRAPPY foil stickers. They've finally bit the bullet and raised prices to US $20/30/50 for the 3 primary scales, but even a few years ago those were $15/25/40. Hell... the Robots in Disguise Leader class Ultra Magnus absolutely dwarfs anything short of Commander scale these days, and it was also like $40 back at the turn of the century. And then there's the retired Ultra and Surpreme sizes...

I'm very glad I don't care about scale with my Transformers. There's a few cases, but in reality they're all just kinda.. there. :) I do try to pose lines together so they look coherent, but that's about it.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    I got Impactor and also immediately ordered the upgrade kit and it makes the figure so much better. I actually got the three pack that has Impactor with a different head that looks closer to his IDW version. It was on sale on amazon for some reason and cost as much as Impactor by himself.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    I got Impactor and also immediately ordered the upgrade kit and it makes the figure so much better. I actually got the three pack that has Impactor with a different head that looks closer to his IDW version. It was on sale on amazon for some reason and cost as much as Impactor by himself.

Yeah that's honestly the one I wanted too but I couldn't justify buying the three pack

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    Athenor wrote: »
    One important thing to keep in mind when comparing PotP and War for Cybertron is inflation. Hasbro's constantly fighting a balance of affordability to impulse buyers, the rising costs of raw materials, and including all the complex engineering that transformers demand (both in R&D and in assembly in the Vietnamese factories). Siege/Earthrise/Kingdom toys are NOTICEABLY smaller than Combiner Wars/Titans Return/ Power of the Primes for the equivalent prices, just like the Prime trilogy is much smaller than the Thrilling 30. Even more, halfway through Titans / PotP they started using these REALLY CRAPPY foil stickers. They've finally bit the bullet and raised prices to US $20/30/50 for the 3 primary scales, but even a few years ago those were $15/25/40. Hell... the Robots in Disguise Leader class Ultra Magnus absolutely dwarfs anything short of Commander scale these days, and it was also like $40 back at the turn of the century. And then there's the retired Ultra and Surpreme sizes...

I'm very glad I don't care about scale with my Transformers. There's a few cases, but in reality they're all just kinda.. there. :) I do try to pose lines together so they look coherent, but that's about it.

I thought that might be it, but, well (spoiler for big)
    nhn78g08i2b6.jpg

Left to right: Siege Ultra Magnus, PotP Rodimus, Titans Returns Megatron (Takara Tomy)

PotP is just a big boy. I'm sure the whole thing where I was convinced UMag was bigger was just a matter of 1) him being bigger in the cartoons, 2) me never actually owning him before, and 3) them making him more in line with the other toys of his scale size.

I'm not salty about it, I was just surprised because I'd always had it in my head that he was bigger.

e: and I guess he kinda is, if you look at him and Megatron, his head is fully above Megatron's head, so with the shoulder pylons he is actually quite a bit taller, so it's pretty much about right, just I guess when I was a kid he always seemed really tall by comparison.

Tox on
  • Options
    tl;dr - Transformers toys should have their height measured from the top of their head down to the bottom of their feet; except Ultra Magnus, who starts at the top of his shoulder pylons.

tl;dr2 - PotP Rodimus is a big boy.

• Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    For what it's worth, I don't have that Magnus, but I do have PotP Rodimus Prime, and I just treat the Hot Rod form as normal Rodimus Prime, while combined with the trailer, he becomes "Super" or "Powermaster" (in as much as the TR version also merits the title of "Powermaster") Rodimus Prime.

The point being, if you do the same, he and Magnus might scale better, but I can't check for myself.

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    For what it's worth, I don't have that Magnus, but I do have PotP Rodimus Prime, and I just treat the Hot Rod form as normal Rodimus Prime, while combined with the trailer, he becomes "Super" or "Powermaster" (in as much as the TR version also merits the title of "Powermaster") Rodimus Prime.

The point being, if you do the same, he and Magnus might scale better, but I can't check for myself.

Yeah and it's Dark Rod so my headcanon is that he can swap between forms.

So much headcanon

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    SHIT SHIT FUCK SHIT DAMN SHIT...

https://news.tfw2005.com/2021/01/26/haslab-unicron-possible-shipping-date-427883

Rumors are that Unicron starts shipping Feb. 1st. Don't know if that means they are gonna be distributed, but it sure as shit looks like it!

TEjO1RMh.jpg

Like.. damn. Because they've only done a couple updates on the project, I didn't think they were this far along. I should've guessed that if they had production samples of the shipping, enough to do drop tests, that it was ready to go.

I DON'T HAVE ROOM FOR THIS IN MY APARTMENT!!!!

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    I will happily house your Unicron if you don't have the living space!

• Options
    Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    Just move into Unicron, probably more room than your apartment

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
  • Options
    BedigunzBedigunz Registered User regular
    edited January 2021
    Just move into Unicron, probably more room than your apartment

This can be your bathtub:

9wf8v5n0uthu.jpg

Bedigunz on
    cdmAF00.png
    Coran Attack!
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    Picked up these two duders:
    oy6axv6ghuz4.jpg
    ithrdgcq8q3y.jpg

I really like the alt modes. Very well done "futuristic/cybertronian" cars. Sideswipe looks like a lambo, and Bluestreak (who I will be referring to a Smokescreen because come on) looks quite a bit like a corvette.

e: and this tanky boy:
    caendnz2ph2y.jpg
    npo5j5lqj5zm.jpg

I actually really like his "tank" mode a lot.

ee: oof those Impactor pics were blurry. These are ... better?

Tox on
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    Oh god...

Oh Primus...

OH UNICRON!

Late march. Nothing more specific than that yet. But they did confirm that signature is going to be required for delivery. Which makes sense given its cost and bulk.

But man. To know it's on the boat, and on its way over here? That's wild.

https://hasbropulse.com/blogs/hasbro-pulse-premium-previews/haslab-war-for-cybertron-unicron-update-5

There's also a video in there that shows how toys are assembled, painted, all that!

Edit: Please, please drill those screws and pins in straight!

Athenor on
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Ugh so cool. Ill never have one but I need one

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    It is so stupidly huge.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    If I had gotten my new job when that kickstarter happened, I might have splurged on that thing, but between my low income and the fact I don't even have enough room for the toys I already own, I just couldn't justify it.

• Options
    I only backed it during the extension period and after a LOT of soul searching. And a good raise at work. :(

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    It is so stupidly huge.

I would probably never transform it.

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    My two thoughts on Impactor (well, two and a half)

1 - I wish this had been a Voyager sized mold. I feel like Impactor should be a little bit bigger than the others. Also I do kinda wish I'd gotten the Decepticon Impactor but I couldn't really justify the cost

2 - This mold would work really well for Megatron. It's a really neat transformation process and I like it a lot. Especially as an IDW-style Megatron. I find most of Megatron's toys' transformations annoy me for various reasons (the feet are often very conspicuous and I think it's dumb for his arm cannon to not be the business end of the tank barrel).

e: Also in about a week or so I should have the last of the pre-Netflix show toys that I think I'm really interested in. Specifically the Scourge (RID) / Black Convoy triple changer. Super excited.

also also I'm super salty about Cyclonus and Scourge being in separate toy lines, because I like the pseudo-Masterpiece style for the Studio series, and that Scourge looks amazing, but Kingdom Cyclonus looks good as well, and I really just wish they'd maybe done both for both? Like, I dunno. Does anybody have both, and how do they look next to each other?

Also^3 my headcanon is now that Thundercracker is Cyclonus and Skywarp is Scourge. I've decided this. And the -Storm Seekers are the Armada, and the Insecticons are The Sweeps.

Tox on
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Tox wrote: »
    2 - This mold would work really well for Megatron. It's a really neat transformation process and I like it a lot. Especially as an IDW-style Megatron. I find most of Megatron's toys' transformations annoy me for various reasons (the feet are often very conspicuous and I think it's dumb for his arm cannon to not be the business end of the tank barrel).

That kind of fits with the G1 Megatron, where his arm cannon was the sight on his pistol mode, and the gun barrel was on his back.

• Options
    see317 wrote: »

That kind of fits with the G1 Megatron, where his arm cannon was the sight on his pistol mode, and the gun barrel was on his back.

(I'm being overly sarcastic here so please don't take offense :P )

1 - you're absolutely right

2 - I don't care

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    see317 wrote: »

(I'm being overly sarcastic here so please don't take offense :P )

1 - you're absolutely right

2 - I don't care
    No offense taken.
    I long for the days I could get a good mad on over tiny plastic robots. Like when I didn't have enough actual stuff to worry about.

• Options
    edited February 2021
    I'm finally going through and unboxing / messing around with the transformers I've gotten in the last few months. I'm about halfway through.

I'm genuinely impressed! Cyclonus and Optimus Primal are both standouts in terms of engineering. Like.. the way everything is coming together is SUPER posable and very cool looking.

Now granted, I'm having issues. Cyclonus's leg would not properly release things and Primal had a couple nubs that just would not move until they snapped off. Again, worries about Unicron. But that's okay! Easy enough to fix.

BKEFmbuh.jpg

Edit: Jeeeeeez, BlackArachnia is a pain in the ass! Just... so hard to get that cartoon accurate body into a spider mold.

Athenor on
  • Options
    A website called Buyker Lab got ahold of Unicron. and took comparison pictures.

... Honestly? He's not as tall as I was fearing. Like he's still tall, don't get me wrong. And he's VERY massive. But I think I can make this work?

From TFW2005's coverage of the vid:

YgHGWRzh.jpg

For comparison, here's my big boys on a standard bookshelf.

uNMrHx4h.jpg

• Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    As a heads-up, a bunch of Chinese reviewers seem to have received their HasLab Unicrons, and have videos out. Here's one I watch sometimes:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UNlxSUmc4Ao
    Spoilers, obviously, as they do the whole transformation and look at different parts in detail.

I really appreciate all the panel lines and greebly details, that stuff is excellent. Unfortunately, I just can't get past the planet shell hanging off his back and legs. At this size, trade-offs must be made between a satisfying transformation and a transformation that a mortal human of average human size can physically carry out, which I assume is the reason they went for a shellformer, but I'm still kinda sad. Also, it looks like
    the head has to be removed when going into planet mode
    which I also find disappointing.

Ultimately, I was never going to buy this because I will never in my life have space for it. I really hope that the folks who went in on this big guy dig it!

• Options
    edited February 2021
    For comparison, here's my big boys on a standard bookshelf.
    uNMrHx4h.jpg[/url]

https://geekculture.co/unboxing-chaos-with-hasbros-massive-27-inch-haslab-transformers-war-for-cybertron-unicron/amp/

hasbro-unicron-haslab-unboxing-10.jpg
    Transformers: War of Cybertron Unicron in comparison with Transformers Generations War for Cybertron Earthrise Titan WFC-E25 Scorponok and Transformers Earthrise War for Cybertron Optimus Prime.

That is a Voyager class Optimus, for reference (same size as WFC Ultra Magnus without the Magnus armor)

Tox on
  • Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    Oh cool, their video is up too! I watched it earlier today, and was gonna link it here, but then it suddenly went private. I wondered if maybe they released it too early or something, but I guess it's back now.

This Unicron has so much presence, it's super-impressive. Just a figure that size is already a feat. But, renting an apartment in NYC, that's just too much a space investment for me. I recently caved in and ordered the 3rd party Zeta/01 Studio Cell take on Unicron, which I'm very excited about, but also apprehensive: an 18" figure is already pretty huge!

• Options
    G A L A C T I C M A N ! ! !
    owdr1mo2v1pr.jpg21ygelfbkxz8.jpg
    iliafio0qt8v.jpg

Imma buy some Autobots one of these days...

• Options
    edited February 2021
    Scorponok is ready to STRUT!

jx2fn9cyw3qn.jpeg

Librarian's ghost on

• Options

jx2fn9cyw3qn.jpeg

Did Brunt come with a lot of accessories? I know the Centurion drone does (like, a lot). Curious how you like him compared to more conventional models.

• Options

jx2fn9cyw3qn.jpeg

Did Brunt come with a lot of accessories? I know the Centurion drone does (like, a lot). Curious how you like him compared to more conventional models.

Hah no. No accessories. I never got one of the Centurion drones before they went out of stock. Saw Brunt at a Walgreens and got him since my brother had the original Trypticon.

• Options

jx2fn9cyw3qn.jpeg

Hah no. No accessories. I never got one of the Centurion drones before they went out of stock. Saw Brunt at a Walgreens and got him since my brother had the original Trypticon.

Comics Plus of Macon sells the Centurion Drone box, and it comes with a few extra things...
    dxcenturiondrone-inset3__09122.1601396904__43441.1610153721.jpg

• Options
    This will probably be my last purchase due to finances drying up, but Triple Changer Convoy!
    0ve9co2iqsbp.jpg
    sqwpskmbyd7f.jpg2mriiqjth4m8.jpg

• Options
    So I splurged and bought a 3rd party figure named Optus Pexus who happens to look exactly like Orion Pax in the IDW comics. This figure is ridiculously articulated and put some of my Master Grade Gundam kits to shame.

Here is a good example of the range of motion from a reviewer.

He's about the height of the Siege Ultra Magnus.

It is so stupid and great.

• Options
    3rd party models are so amazingly well done. But you pay for that, of course. :)

• Options
    3rd party models are so amazingly well done. But you pay for that, of course. :)

My only 3rd party figures are this one and the IDW style Swerve and Cog set from years ago. Do not regret either purchase.

• Options
    I would love to see a Generations Selects Orion Pax and Kup that are just, like, retools of Siege Crosshairs/Ironhide/Ratchet.

• Options
    Huh.. This turned out much bigger in person than I was expecting!

3dlomOch.jpg

In the last couple of days I heard it was a significant retool of Studio Series Jetfire. Which... makes sense. But it does throw off my display options quite a bit. Interestingly, it still has the Lockheed Martin badge on the back of the packaging!

• Options
    I got my Siege Jetfire. He is a very tall boy. Still waiting on my DeLorean.

Also ordered a couple more upgrade kits for figures and some more labels.

I definitely have a problem.