As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Penny Arcade - Comic - Not Worth

DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
edited January 2017 in The Penny Arcade Hub

imagePenny Arcade - Comic - Not Worth

Videogaming-related online strip by Mike Krahulik and Jerry Holkins. Includes news and commentary.

Read the full story here

Unknown User on

• Options
    RottonappleRottonapple Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    I laughed way too hard at the "Oh, Fuck you", but no really, fuck people that pull this. yes, I know there are people with legit service animals out there. but the fakers ruin it for everyone and they are almost as bad as the people that hire wheelchair bound people to go to Disney with them just so they don't have to wait in line.

Rottonapple on
  • Options
    Kwisatz Haderach Kwisatz Haderach The power to destroy a thing is the absolute control over it. Registered User regular
    I don't get it.

• Options
    Suburban_ArcanaSuburban_Arcana Registered User regular
    It's funny that people have service animals, apparently.

• Options
    edited January 2017
    I don't get it.

Fake service animals. It's become a problem to the point where there are websites that sell "service animal" vests for your dog or what ever and certificates attesting to the fact that your pet guinea pig is a service animal. There are people out there other than blind people that have real service animals, like epileptics. Honestly, Gabe and Tycho do a excellent job skewering those people and the frustration and resignation airline employees must feel in dealing with them.

Rottonapple on
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Wait, does that mean the emotional support duck might not have been legit?
    :(

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ViRGEViRGE Registered User regular
    Fake service animals. It's become a problem to the point where there are websites that sell "service animal" vests for your dog or what ever and certificates attesting to the fact that your pet guinea pig is a service animal. There are people out there other than blind people that have real service animals, like epileptics. Honestly, Gabe and Tycho do a excellent job skewering those people and the frustration and resignation airline employees must feel in dealing with them.
    Just to add to this, you're not allowed to ask what function a service animal performs, as otherwise the person's disability may become obvious (this essentially being a means to prevent discrimination on the basis of disability). So when someone says it's a service animal, you have to take them at their word.

• Options
    MolybdenumMolybdenum Registered User regular
    There's uh... actually an entire comic about ghost-detecting cats. Wonder if they're aware.

http://sssscomic.com/comic.php

Steam: Cilantr0
    3DS: 0447-9966-6178
  • Options
    SatoricalSatorical Registered User new member
    The New Yorker did a great bit where they brought a series of increasingly ridiculous "service" animals (from turtle to llama) everywhere they went: http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2014/10/20/pets-allowed

Silly goose businesses are partly to blame for the fake service animal problem, and they're the ones who can do the most about it. Folks with fake service animals have flouted door signs at our local Safeway grocery store for years. Compare that with REI, whose door greeters politely tell customers with (clearly) non-service dogs that they can't bring them in. I've never seen anyone argue back. Done and done.

• Options
    ElroydbElroydb Registered User regular
    Can't we just be happy that Thomas is in a comic again?

• Options
    Molybdenum wrote: »
    There's uh... actually an entire comic about ghost-detecting cats. Wonder if they're aware.

damn you. I only have another hour before I have to leave for work and there's no way I'll get through that archive before then.

• Options
    dennisdennis aka bingley Registered User regular
    there are websites that sell "service animal" vests for your dog or what ever and certificates attesting to the fact that your pet guinea pig is a service animal.

My gut instinct is that the (persistent) fakers are MORE likely to get one of these vests than the non-fakers. I feel like the non-fakers are the ones that probably don't want to have to have the discussion, so they try not to call attention to themselves any more than they are required to.

• Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular

No, that's a comic about zombie detecting cats.

• Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Man, if you need a cat to detect zombies then I'm going to kill you and take all your shit, because you'd be worthless to me in a zombo apocalypse sitch...

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Wait, does that mean the emotional support duck might not have been legit?
    :(

For reference, in case people missed it.
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/amphtml/news/animalia/wp/2016/10/20/daniel-the-emotional-support-duck-takes-his-first-plane-ride-soars-in-popularity/

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    dennis wrote: »
    there are websites that sell "service animal" vests for your dog or what ever and certificates attesting to the fact that your pet guinea pig is a service animal.

My gut instinct is that the (persistent) fakers are MORE likely to get one of these vests than the non-fakers. I feel like the non-fakers are the ones that probably don't want to have to have the discussion, so they try not to call attention to themselves any more than they are required to.

A friend's experience has been the people with a disability they have a service animal to help deal with have been pretty open about talking about the condition to spread awareness to others. I suspect it varies by regional culture though.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    Anon von ZilchAnon von Zilch Registered User regular
    In The Dresden Files, some dogs can sense ghosts. This explains why they sometimes bark at nothing. It was also theorized that all cats can sense ghosts, they just mostly don't give a shit.

• Options
    PeriSoftPeriSoft Registered User regular
    But how many ghost-detecting service cats are Microsoft Certified System Engineers?

• Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    In The Dresden Files, some dogs can sense ghosts. This explains why they sometimes bark at nothing. It was also theorized that all cats can sense ghosts, they just mostly don't give a shit.

And people who are color blind can't see dogs. All they can hear is the barking...

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular

I was not aware of this comic but dig the art style and that linked comic made me want to read more.. so I am reading it now. thanks!

Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • Options
    ironheadironhead Registered User regular

Eh it's more a joke about Gabe being an asshole and abusing the system.

• Options
    Mr. JoelMr. Joel Registered User new member
    Cats that fight the supernatural, you say? >^,,,^<
    rpgnow.com/product/128633/Cats-Of-Catthulhu-Book-I-THE-NEKONOMIKON

• Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    I laughed way too hard at the "Oh, Fuck you", but no really, fuck people that pull this. yes, I know there are people with legit service animals out there. but the fakers ruin it for everyone and they are almost as bad as the people that hire wheelchair bound people to go to Disney with them just so they don't have to wait in line.

There's also people with therapy animals who abuse the service animal rules. They're not (usually) as bad as the jackasses with their unruly pets peeing on the floor in Wal Mart, but they're still causing pushback that impacts people with service animals unfairly. Some states I think have equated them, but in most places therapy animals are only legally distinct from regular pets in so far that your insurance will pay part of their upkeep, you can't take them in stores or restaurants.

Hevach on
  • Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    Man, if you need a cat to detect zombies then I'm going to kill you and take all your shit, because you'd be worthless to me in a zombo apocalypse sitch...
    Well, they're zombies in the Flood/necromorphs vein. Those are better at hiding.

cB557 on
  • Options
    SennoSenno AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Mention Australia on our national day and not say Happy Australia Day? Foooooor shaaaaaaaame! :P

• Options
    poipoigirlpoipoigirl Registered User regular
    I love his cat