As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[MechWarrior/Battletech] The Oosik Irregulars are going to become canon! *EVACUATE THREAD*

• Options
    ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    MagicPrime wrote: »
    To swap omni-pods on a mech do you have to own the different variants?

Not for the non-hero/champion Clan omnis, no. You can buy the pods a la carte.

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    nonoffensivenonoffensive Registered User regular
    Konphujun wrote: »
    Well, Battletech got me itching to MWO again so shoot me an invite if you see me on. I'm desalinated enough to handle you chucklefucks again.

<3

You know my favorite part of the Battletech Beta? I select a mech and I don't have to pay CBills for it, have an extra mechbay available, use a third party website to optimize my build so I don't waste hundreds of thousands of CBills toggling Endo and FF on and off, open a skill tree and pick a billion nodes to level the playing field.

What mech do I want? Click. Lets pick a pilot. Click. Time for fun.

• Options
    Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    MagicPrime wrote: »
    To swap omni-pods on a mech do you have to own the different variants?

For Hero variants, you have to own the Hero to get the pods.

Everything else you can buy the (non CT) pods ala cart

steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • Options
    BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    Clan ER Smalls are pretty nuts as well

uPdlY9T.jpg

w2C6p3b.jpg

Not pictured: over 800 missiles destroyed.

Wait, you running 12CERSL and AMS?

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • Options
    Kaboodles_The_AssassinKaboodles_The_Assassin Kill the meat. Save the metal.Registered User regular
    Betsuni wrote: »

uPdlY9T.jpg

w2C6p3b.jpg

I have 1 with 3 AMS and 12 CERSL for my "teamwork" build, and a 12 CSPL for killing everything

sXXjb1B.png
  • Options
    Betsuni wrote: »

uPdlY9T.jpg

w2C6p3b.jpg

I have 1 with 3 AMS and 12 CERSL for my "teamwork" build, and a 12 CSPL for killing everything

I might have to build mine with the 3 AMS and 12 CERSL for the SL daily event later today/tomorrow.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    MagicPrimeMagicPrime FiresideWizard Registered User regular
    To make it more personal my mechwarrior pilot name is now "Magik Pryme"

BNet • magicprime#1430 | PSN/Steam • MagicPrime | Origin • FireSideWizard
    Critical Failures - Havenhold CampaignAugust St. Cloud (Human Ranger)
  • Options
    CampyCampy Registered User regular
    So what with the whole lack of Battletech beta and the Oosiks becoming canon, I just installed the game once more.

Did anyone else's refund noooooot work quite right? Seems I didn't get diddly squat for my many modules...

• Options
    ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Campy wrote: »
    So what with the whole lack of Battletech beta and the Oosiks becoming canon, I just installed the game once more.

Did anyone else's refund noooooot work quite right? Seems I didn't get diddly squat for my many modules...

What did you get in terms of HSP? If you uninstalled prior to the cutoff date for the legacy module refund, you would've gotten HSP instead of cbills

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    I don't even now what an HSP is, so I'm guessing that's the case. Can I spend HSP on giant stompy robbits?

• Options
    BeornKBeornK Registered User regular
    yeah you spend hsp or gsp to unlock skills at no money...
    if you mastered a mech prior you get 91 skill points to spend on that chasis which is the max you need. (Any past 91 are wasted)

So if you mastered a mech you can grab radar dep and sesmic for no more money...

DS0mQJS.png
  • Options
    I was just pretty bummed when I saw how many cbills all my old modules were worth and how I wasn't going to see any of it.

Probably have afforded a few new assaults with it all :(

• Options
    Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    There are:
    HSP - Historic Skill Point (Free to convert to SP)
    GSP - General Skill Point (Free to convert to SP)

SP - Skill point (Locked to individual mech)

XP - Locked to mech, cost C-Bills to convert to SP
    HXP - Historic XP, cost C-Bills to convert to SP
    GXP - Global XP / General XP, cost C-Bills to convert to SP

steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • Options
    Hmmm, I'm a little confused now.

I'm not talking about the GXP I spent to unlock modules, but the CBills I then paid to unlock the actual module items for my mech. They were worth like 5mil cbills a pop. There was a field for it in the screen that popped up at login, but it read 0. Despite my dozen+ modules being listed out below with their relevant CBill cost...

• Options
    So to explain, you can max 91 point per mech. Use https://kitlaan.gitlab.io/mwoskill/ to plot it out.

Good plans are to max survival minus the ams and 1 of the crit reductions and then choose the rest based on your build.

Look at the GSP you have and the HSP. HSP are per mech, GSP are per module under the old system. Use the HSP 1st then GSP for mechs you hadn't mastered.

I recommend picking a mech you aren't super keen on but have mastered to try stuff out. There a huge xp sink to respec so you want to do once and then leave it.

DS0mQJS.png
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    Hmmm, I'm a little confused now.

I'm not talking about the GXP I spent to unlock modules, but the CBills I then paid to unlock the actual module items for my mech. They were worth like 5mil cbills a pop. There was a field for it in the screen that popped up at login, but it read 0. Despite my dozen+ modules being listed out below with their relevant CBill cost...

The field is there if you bought modules after their skill tree announcement you got cbills back. Otherwise you got a bunch of GXP instead.
    Modules purchased after December 3rd 2016 - the date of the original Skill Tree announcement at Mech_Con - are being refunded in the form of C-Bills. Earlier posts referencing the original structure of the Module refund outlined in the February 8th PTS post, such as the December Roadmap, were updated in February as a result of that post.

Modules purchased prior to December 3rd 2016 are being refunded in the form of General Skill Points (GSP), which can be consumed to unlock Skill Nodes for any 'Mech you wish.

Edit: The quote is taken from here.

https://mwomercs.com/news/2017/04/1804-skill-tree-public-test-session-2

Betsuni on
    oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    So it seems like I'm very late to the party on this one (someone didn't read the whole thread back...). But is this not a bit fucked? Or am I missing something?

• Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    The fantastic Oosik news and the sweet, sweet Battletech beta and all this chatter is making me want to try MWO!
    There are:
    HSP - Historic Skill Point (Free to convert to SP)
    GSP - General Skill Point (Free to convert to SP)

SP - Skill point (Locked to individual mech)

XP - Locked to mech, cost C-Bills to convert to SP
    HXP - Historic XP, cost C-Bills to convert to SP
    GXP - Global XP / General XP, cost C-Bills to convert to SP

...?

Um, I'll just be over here finishing Cosmic Star Heroine and waiting for Harebrained to give me my single-player Battletech. :razz:

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options
    KonphujunKonphujun Illinois, USARegistered User regular
    So it seems like I'm very late to the party on this one (someone didn't read the whole thread back...). But is this not a bit fucked? Or am I missing something?

The cbill refund part is fucked, to be sure, the skill tree actually seems pretty ok once you figure out what you're trying to do. Seeing a lot more variety in QP in terms of mechs across both IS and Clan Scum. TTK feels higher to me, some agree, some don't. Give it a whirl and see how you like it.

Everything: Konphujun(#1458)
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    Yeah, the skill tree looks pretty nice. Lot's of room to do your own thing.

What about this history transfer malarky? Looking AWS-8Q I've got 67k as "historic XP" which I can move over at my will to what seems to be current XP. I assume since it hasn't moved over automatically there's other stuff I can do with it?

Edit: Okay, this is blowing my mind. There are far too many xs, ss, gs and ps all up in my grill.

Campy on
  • Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    @Iolo

Most of that doesn't matter for you; it only applies to people who have been playing for a long time and have existing 'mechs and add-ons. The game recently released a new skill system, so the developers converted peoples' old progress into new skill points.

The upshot is, if you had a lot of stuff unlocked before, PGI gave you a bunch of free unlocks in the new system, and you don't necessarily have to use them on the same 'mechs as before.

For new players, as you play, you'll unlock skill points for each 'mech which let you tweak it by adding, e.g., critical hit resistance or extra armor or better hill climbing, etc.

• Options

What about this history transfer malarky? Looking AWS-8Q I've got 67k as "historic XP" which I can move over at my will to what seems to be current XP. I assume since it hasn't moved over automatically there's other stuff I can do with it?

Edit: Okay, this is blowing my mind. There are far too many xs, ss, gs and ps all up in my grill.

It might be easier to have one of us who has gone through the skill trap tree already to talk you through it. Typing everything out might take some time (although would be good to have in the OP).

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    NipsNips He/Him Luxuriating in existential crisis.Registered User regular
    edited June 2017

You could, presumably, spend it on a separate copy of the AWS-8Q to help skill up another 'Mech's tree.

Each instance of a 'Mech in your bays has its own, independent skill tree to level through, even if it's the same variant as another in your collection.

Historic XP can be spread around on multiples of the same variant, if you happened to both have a pile of XP sitting on the old chassis and care to skill up more than one now.

Nips on
    JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    Aaahh, I think I get it now.

It's another CBills sink.

GG PGI!

edit: feck this lark.Gonna be doing a bit of setting up of the ol' config and then getting me stomp on!

Campy on
  • Options
    DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    Me am so confused by Skill Tree

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    Ok someone explain to me how to Skill Point my Dragon 1C. I already maxed out the Survival tree. 3MLAS, LBX-10, and SRM6.

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    Damoon! Fuck skills. Come get stompin!

Me and Wolvesight are in vent right the nur!

• Options
    I would but Mrs will be home soon and I'm gonna be doing an interview for my Podcast!

Also fun fact: The Oosiks are also Canon in Death From Above Lore, technically, as one of the Mechs they fought against had the Oosik emblem on it (thanks to Viking Lass)

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    I miss that interface... Heck I miss the one prior to the current one as well.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    Getting skill points for modules isn't really a bad deal; you don't have to grind on new mechs, and you don't have to spend bills to convert HSP the way you do with experience. As a time/value proposition I think skill points probably were better than a pure refund, though obviously you cannot immediately spend them to buy new mechs

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    So if it wasn't clear before:
    1) Be sure to use up you HSP (Historical Skill points) before using anything else.
    2) Dont spend more that 91 points on any given mech.
    3) The ui is terrible. Try not to move the mouse to the side when you click on a node...

If you have xp for a mech you can use it to respec the skill (I think its 400 xp per skill point)

But yeah, they made it super complicated. Here is a reasonable guide to the trees that may help players:
    http://metamechs.com/mwo-guides/skill-trees/

Big things I've noticed is that (most?) mechs are much slower to respond with the new agility changes. This makes twisting a lot harder in something like an atlas. The other thing is that I like not having to swap modules. It feels weird man.

DS0mQJS.png
  • Options
    HellboreHellbore A bad, bad man Registered User regular
    edited June 2017
    Man those are some nostalgic vids right there.

Oosiks being canon is amazing, I'm glad that the torch kept being carried after all the shit PGI put the game through.

Hellbore on
  • Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    All the oldies coming back, anyone remember what Catadmirer's forum name was so we can @ him?

I miss shooting him in the back.

• Options
    WolveSightWolveSight Registered User regular
    Buttcleft wrote: »
    All the oldies coming back, anyone remember what Catadmirer's forum name was so we can @ him?

I miss shooting him in the back.

I'll send him a message and see if he'll hop on.

253J736.png
  • Options
    HydroSqueegeeHydroSqueegee ULTRACAT!!!™®© Registered User regular

Yea. Be careful. I was spending gxp on mechs I didn't need to because I clicked the wrong thing to convert.

kx3klFE.png
  • Options
    WEINER DICK BUTT!

How could I have forgotten you existed?!

• Options
    DocshiftyDocshifty Registered User regular
    And who could forget our glorious moment?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yyMnRG90jcU

This match was routinely cited as one of the most engaging and entertaining of the entire tourney.

• Options
    HandgimpHandgimp R+L=J Family PhotoRegistered User regular
    Docshifty wrote: »
    And who could forget our glorious moment?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yyMnRG90jcU

This match was routinely cited as one of the most engaging and entertaining of the entire tourney.

Yeah this was in the height of the jump snipe meta, and everyone else was hanging back waiting for the timer and hoping to get a lucky kill.

Meanwhile, both of our teams independently decided to brawl like goddamn heroes. Still pissed I didn't get that Highlander up top.

PwH4Ipj.jpg