As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[MechWarrior/Battletech] The Oosik Irregulars are going to become canon! *EVACUATE THREAD*

• Options
    NaxNax For Sanguinius! Registered User regular
    Haha. I'm in for a few. I need to get my daily shit in

The following people are amazing and I love them: Wildcat, Timspork, Kias, Denada, susan, Sharp101, [GHSC]Ryctor, Matev, Matrias, ItBurns, Slapnuts, Dayspring, see317, and the unknown poster that sent me a box of Death Company! <3 If you get them as Santees you should buy them amazing things!
  • Options
    KayKay What we need... Is a little bit of PANIC.Registered User regular
    Basil wrote: »
    The event announcement pages accessible from the front end of their website usually link to tables of your credit and results, as the case may be.

Lets see.

https://mwomercs.com/tournaments?t=201701yofr

There we go, if you're logged in you'll see mostly up to date stats. It can take an hourly cycle or two, sometimes.

Cheers for that!

Oh god, so much bullshit to do.
    Buttcleft wrote: »
    @betsuni @nips @konphujun @Tox @ @Erlkönig @Kay @Spectrum @Nax @Darkewolfe @Mortious

The beacons have been lit, Mechdor calls for aid!

But I am sleeping. :(

ew9y0DD.png
    3DS FCode: 1993-7512-8991
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    It's trivia night. :(

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    BasilBasil Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    Konphujun wrote: »
    Mortious wrote: »
    Ug, I really hate playing Quick Play right now. Everything focuses on high alpha damage, and the Assaults I like to play just don't get the job done. Also, my Battlemasters are getting head shot a lot, like once a night.

Battlemasters is the only mech I max head armour on.

There's something funky with their hit boxes I think.

Can confirm. Always max head armor on Battlemasters. Either the cockpit is directly in line with the CT or the cockpit hitbox is way oversized. Still great mechs, but you definitely want to take this into account.

I fondly recall the last Battlemaster I headshot. He waddled up a hill and took an AC20 doubletap to the face.

He died so suddenly that his buddies still thought their flank was safe when I trotted past his wreck and shot them, too.

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    nonoffensivenonoffensive Registered User regular
    Well, Battlemaster isn't all bad. Oh Ace of Spades, how you taunt me.

b9wgwqarcmrx.jpg

• Options
    McGibsMcGibs TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited February 2017
    Just bought an kingcrab 0000 and already first drive out this thing feels infinity more mobile that my mauler. Slow as tar, but at least i can friggin turn.

McGibs on
    website_header.jpg
  • Options
    KonphujunKonphujun Illinois, USARegistered User regular
    McGibs wrote: »
    Just bought an kingcrab 0000 and already first drive out this thing feels infinity more mobile that my mauler. Slow as tar, but at least i can friggin turn.

Now put four UAC/5s in it for dakka dakka dakka dakka!

Everything: Konphujun(#1458)
  • Options
    People have some very strong opinions about the gauss these days. I'm still being a scrub and running a mixed platform on my main Timber Wolf (gause, 4x med las, streak srm's) because I get bored as a brawler waiting for something to do and like being able to plink with the gauss.

Without igniting any strong feelings about the mechanic, does anyone have a recommendation for how to use gausses effectively in a mixed weapon build? (Aside from git gud.) I can use it pretty well, but I find myself struggling with my motor skills when using it alongside other weapons. Is there a particular binding people use? I have it on mouse 1 currently.

• Options
    edited February 2017
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    People have some very strong opinions about the gauss these days. I'm still being a scrub and running a mixed platform on my main Timber Wolf (gause, 4x med las, streak srm's) because I get bored as a brawler waiting for something to do and like being able to plink with the gauss.

Without igniting any strong feelings about the mechanic, does anyone have a recommendation for how to use gausses effectively in a mixed weapon build? (Aside from git gud.) I can use it pretty well, but I find myself struggling with my motor skills when using it alongside other weapons. Is there a particular binding people use? I have it on mouse 1 currently.

Whichever binding is most comfortable for you, I usually have it set to M1 as well. I also turn my mouse sensitivity down on my mouse itself when I am using gauss, because it can be quite finicky to get shots to land, especially at range.

Fake edit: Also, try to learn to listen for the audio queue that indicates the charge is complete, looking for the green rectangle can get you killed.

Konphujun on
  • Options
    Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular

Most people are Anti-IS Gauss, because it weights 3 tons more and uses more slots for the exactly same stats otherwise IIRC

For bindings, I generally recommend Mouse 1 for arm weapons, and Mouse 2 for torso weapons, then use Keyboard 3 for guided weapons / splat weapons.

The nice thing about Gauss, is you can precharge it, and then if you dont want it to fire, you overcharge it and it wont fire, the downside is that this ruins the DPS by resetting the cooldown.

steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • Options

Most people are Anti-IS Gauss, because it weights 3 tons more and uses more slots for the exactly same stats otherwise IIRC

For bindings, I generally recommend Mouse 1 for arm weapons, and Mouse 2 for torso weapons, then use Keyboard 3 for guided weapons / splat weapons.

The nice thing about Gauss, is you can precharge it, and then if you dont want it to fire, you overcharge it and it wont fire, the downside is that this ruins the DPS by resetting the cooldown.

Yep. This is the exact keybinding I have. I just end up having trouble getting the timing right on firing the gauss when I'm at laser range.

• Options
    New stupid question: How do omnipods work? I've got multiple T. Wolves now. You just plug in a right torso into a different frame? What about when you go to sell a mech, can you keep the pods, or no?

• Options
    New stupid question: How do omnipods work? I've got multiple T. Wolves now. You just plug in a right torso into a different frame? What about when you go to sell a mech, can you keep the pods, or no?

Correct on both counts. You can strip off the pods you wanna keep and sell the rest. Otherwise yeah you just plug in the pod you wanna use and you're good to go.

• Options
    BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    Hope you guys got some good games in last night. I was not able to get on my computer so couldn't join up. Thanks for the @ there @Buttcleft

I tried running Gauss long ago on my Jaeger and just could never get used to it. Been trying it again and realize that I was doing what Kon said and watching the green icon pop before firing which led me to get hit way too often. So now I listen for the charge sound and let go when it whines. Still haven't tried it again on my Jaeger though (been using it on my Huntsman instead).

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • Options
    The best Gauss build I found was on my Direwolf, where I had it paired with my ERLL and used the ERLL as guides to where the Gauss shot would go. (the long beam duration helped as I would keep holding the trigger to charge the gauss while the beam was going, then release when I heard the ready sound. to help with this you may want to adjust the sound levels in your settings so it isnt drowned out by other noises)

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    I'm actually enjoying my Dragon Slayer again. Poptarting Gauss + 2x PPC is as fun as I remember.

• Options
    Ok so apparently I missed the announcement that Faction Warfare is now skirmish on the regular maps? Hoooooly shit this is AMAZING. I've spent the morning doing it and I am really, really enjoying it. 4-2 W/L so far too! I might have to give it another shot.

• Options
    SpectrumSpectrum Archer of Inferno Chaldea Rec RoomRegistered User regular
    Ok so apparently I missed the announcement that Faction Warfare is now skirmish on the regular maps? Hoooooly shit this is AMAZING. I've spent the morning doing it and I am really, really enjoying it. 4-2 W/L so far too! I might have to give it another shot.

Depends on the phase. Check what phase it's on before you queue, sometimes it's another mode on the regular maps, eventually it progresses back to full up Invasion that we love/hate.

I had an amazing game as a STK-4N on River City in FW a little while ago. That chassis can still shit out damage, just struggles to position and sometimes finish targets off. Well, when you have a very large set of meatshields on your team and can get into a good firing position and control the center of the map, you basically just shoot all game. I had to deliberately charge forward just to get it killed even though I was still relatively healthy.

XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    Damn I forgot they added that feature. Maybe I'll try FW again.

Betsuni on
    oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    MaijinamuroMaijinamuro Registered User regular
    Is it still with four mechs or just one for the skirmish version? I might want to get the rank for the first mech bay at least.

• Options
    edited February 2017
    To get good with Gauss, you first need to install the MLG voice pack.

https://youtu.be/23evSSZ92Os

Then you need a bag of Doritos, and some Mountain Dew to take your game to the next level.

Then you'll still suck with Gauss until you play with it about a week and just get used to the charge mechanic. The sound queue is nearly useless if you're getting hit by anything. You'll get a feel for how long you need to hold the button eventually and it'll just feel kinda natural.

nonoffensive on
  • Options
    MaijinamuroMaijinamuro Registered User regular

Then you need a bag of Doritos, and some Mountain Dew to take your game to the next level.

Then you'll still suck with Gauss until you play with it about a week and just get used to the charge mechanic. The sound queue is nearly useless if you're getting hit by anything. You'll get a feel for how long you need to hold the button eventually and it'll just feel kinda natural.

That is awesome! My favorite is the "LRM douche bags are after you."

• Options
    BasilBasil Registered User regular
    I liked that Viper at the end, jumping out of sight to avoid being shot.

9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    I need to make 2.7M cbills in the next four hours. Doable, I think? (On premium time)

Darkewolfe on
  • Options
    Spectrum wrote: »

Depends on the phase. Check what phase it's on before you queue, sometimes it's another mode on the regular maps, eventually it progresses back to full up Invasion that we love/hate.

I had an amazing game as a STK-4N on River City in FW a little while ago. That chassis can still shit out damage, just struggles to position and sometimes finish targets off. Well, when you have a very large set of meatshields on your team and can get into a good firing position and control the center of the map, you basically just shoot all game. I had to deliberately charge forward just to get it killed even though I was still relatively healthy.

Huh. All 20 or so matches I've played in the last week were drop deck objective stuff.

• Options
    I need to make 2.7M cbills in the next four hours. Doable, I think? (On premium time)

Depends on how much you make per match. I would like to think that is doable though.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    3mil in 4 hours should be ridiculously easy with premium time.

• Options
    Yeah, I'm making ~250k or so a match it seems.

• Options

Is this because of the sale?

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    Betsuni wrote: »

Is this because of the sale?

Yeah. I want to buy one more Timber Wolf before the sale ends.

• Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    Man this event reminds me why I hate this game and almost quit playing it.

So fucking sick and tired of being cored out and dying in .03 seconds the moment 3 pixels of my mech is visible over a ridge 800m away.

• Options
    Buttcleft wrote: »
    Man this event reminds me why I hate this game and almost quit playing it.

So fucking sick and tired of being cored out and dying in .03 seconds the moment 3 pixels of my mech is visible over a ridge 800m away.

This must be a skill ranking thing. I'm being protected from these people by being lower on skill ranking maybe.

• Options
    Is it still with four mechs or just one for the skirmish version? I might want to get the rank for the first mech bay at least.

It's still 4 mechs per match, which is exactly what I wanted in the first place from FW. Got to try out my 3x Grasshoper, 1x Shadowhawk deck on Mining Collective and whoooooo boy it was fun. I think I'll definitely start doing FW during the non-invasion phases because I had an absolute blast this morning.

• Options
    Woo. Was going to have to buy a mech bay, but the lance in formation thing popped and I got the 300 MC.

• Options
    I'm thinking I should pick up an Ebon Jag. Although didn't think they were any good fighting against them. Any reason I should try one out?

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options

That is awesome! My favorite is the "LRM douche bags are after you."

Oh man, it just got real

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q3nbJog7T2Y

http://raksarmory.blogspot.com/2017/02/mwo-mlg-betty-release.html

• Options
    ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    I'm thinking I should pick up an Ebon Jag. Although didn't think they were any good fighting against them. Any reason I should try one out?

Depends on your play-style. If you like to hill-hump peek and poke: the Jag can mount an ERPPC and a gauss rifle in above-cockpit hardpoints. When things get brawly, you can have a sextet of of shorter-range energy weapons.

Here's basically the loadout for all my Ebon Jags because it works for me:

EBJ-A

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    I used to play hide and go snipe but lately it is all brawl all the time. Although I would like to make a sniper so will pick one up for your build. Thanks!

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    Annnd, I have three timber wolves. Thanks for the sale, PG.

• Options
    I used to play hide and go snipe but lately it is all brawl all the time. Although I would like to make a sniper so will pick one up for your build. Thanks!

For brawling the EBJ can mount 8 cMPL to fire in 2x groups of 4 with 25 DHS to try and keep you cool. I can personally attest to this being able to do some serious work.

You can also swap to 2x cLPL with 4x cERML for a higher alpha with more range.

For both you can shave some armor to add a TC1

steam_sig.png