Options

Leaving Hotel California [California diaspora]

• Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    BTW Seattle has been nothing but welcoming.

Rumors of 1) the Seattle freeze and 2) hatred of Californians have turned out to be greatly exaggerated

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Orca wrote: »
    What I really love about being here is that when there is a traffic incident (and there always is somewhere...) the local cops have to close down like 95% of the freeway for a car stuck on the shoulder.

wat

I am only barely exaggerating. I don't know where the locals learned traffic control, but it wasn't anywhere with real traffic.

• Options
    Giggles_FunsworthGiggles_Funsworth Blight on Discourse Bay Area SprawlRegistered User regular
    edited February 2017
    NSDFRand wrote: »
    knitdan wrote: »
    As a non-Californian

Could you folks stop moving where I live and fucking up the local real estate market because you were able to sell a trailer on a 1/3 acre lot for $500k?

Thanks.

I have to say I find it funny that someone will ask "why do people not like it when Californians move to their city?" when just a few posts above this one someone explicitly recognizes that they are fucking over people when they move en masse to a place with a lower cost of living.

It's a supply/demand thing. It's what's driving housing prices to ridiculous levels all across the west coast, and in New York (and presumably other places as well). This is what happens when there are good jobs to be had (see also North Dakota during the oil boom), and that goes double if it's also nice to live there for other reasons.

I recognize why it happens. I'm pointing out that it's funny to see "Why do people not like transplants?" and it be acknowledged that "We're fucking them over, but oh well it's their fault for being somewhere we want to be" in the same thread.

I mean, as a native Californian the idea of people in other parts of the country getting mad at us for diving up housing costs us just precious. If anything we're just replacing the diaspora that forced us out.

Also negative effects can be reduced (though not completely eliminated) by judicious study of local markets. Don't overpay for housing, it is foolish and harmful to local communities in the extreme.

Giggles_Funsworth on
  • Options
    mare_imbriummare_imbrium Registered User regular
    Oh so many things. I could go on forever but I'm kind of busy today.

I SO miss the mountains. I am not a fan of the beach, at least going there to swim and not, hanging out on the pier or something. Sand and northeastern Pacific water from the arctic, so cooold. We flew back home to visit last summer and when we flew over the mountains I teared up. It is so unnerving how big the sky is here and how far you can see.

I am also jokingnotjoking about being offended by the weather. I mean, sometimes I genuinely feel offended. When I was home over the summer the first night I had to put on jeans because the temp immediately fell oh, 20 degrees or so as soon as the sun went down and I told my friend it felt so good to be back in civilization again. That was the word I used. Because there's something uncivilized about it still being 90 degrees at midnight. :)

I also miss living where they grow all the food. I only now buy produce at the fancy people store 9 miles from here in Southlake (Central Market, which I really do love) because it's the only store I can be sure will have the produce I'm looking for. Sometimes it's sooo expensive though.

Count me as someone who was sometimes bitter about all the people moving to California. I was born in Anaheim and my mother was born in Hawthorne and yeah, I know, before that my family came from a different state, but I have spent since I was 18 years old feeling like I was eventually going to be forced out of where I was born that I loved - and oh look, I was! I get annoyed around here (TX) sometimes that they build all these ridiculous McMansions and every bit of new construction seems to be minimum half a million dollars (but the land's cheaper so of course to get that price they have to build enormous houses which sheesh who has time to clean all that?) and I always tell people, all the time, if I could have afforded a $500k and up home I would never have left California.

I want to go home so much. :cry:

v2zAToe.jpg
    Wii: 4521 1146 5179 1333 Pearl: 3394 4642 8367 HG: 1849 3913 3132
  • Options
    NSDFRandNSDFRand FloridaRegistered User regular
    As a non-Californian

Could you folks stop moving where I live and fucking up the local real estate market because you were able to sell a trailer on a 1/3 acre lot for $500k?

Thanks.

I have to say I find it funny that someone will ask "why do people not like it when Californians move to their city?" when just a few posts above this one someone explicitly recognizes that they are fucking over people when they move en masse to a place with a lower cost of living.

It's a supply/demand thing. It's what's driving housing prices to ridiculous levels all across the west coast, and in New York (and presumably other places as well). This is what happens when there are good jobs to be had (see also North Dakota during the oil boom), and that goes double if it's also nice to live there for other reasons.

I recognize why it happens. I'm pointing out that it's funny to see "Why do people not like transplants?" and it be acknowledged that "We're fucking them over, but oh well it's their fault for being somewhere we want to be" in the same thread.

I mean, as a native Californian the idea of people in other parts of the country getting mad at us for diving up housing costs us just precious. If anything we're just replacing the diaspora that forced us out.

By forcing out other people who couldn't afford to move away from their homes. I'm surprised to see gentrification seeing such support here.

• Options
    burboburbo Registered User regular
    As a non-Californian

Thanks.

By forcing out other people who couldn't afford to move away from their homes. I'm surprised to see gentrification seeing such support here.

I am genuinely curious what you think the ethical and reasonable thing is for these Californians. Are they supposed to never be allowed to leave, with little hope of ever ending a home? What do you want them to do?

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    burbo wrote: »
    As a non-Californian

Thanks.

I am genuinely curious what you think the ethical and reasonable thing is for these Californians. Are they supposed to never be allowed to leave, with little hope of ever ending a home? What do you want them to do?

Learn how to drive in the snow.

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    Also, stop overpaying for housing once you do leave.

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    Speaking of poor traffic management, Seattle signage is my nemesis.

Seattle will do shit like... put up a sign that tells you to turn left to get to I5. But once you turn left there are no further directions. You're just sort of supposed to know by psychic ability that there's another right turn to get to the southbound entrance.

Or they'll have a sign that says "Arterial Turns" without telling you which way it turns.

There's a neighborhood in Eastlake with a street name sign that is just blank. Like, a normal sign that would typically say "Main St" but there is no lettering on it at all.

But that same neighborhood has a sign that says "Residential Street." No, that's not the name of the street, it's just letting you know that you're in a residential area... In case all the fucking houses didn't clue you in.

Parking restrictions:
    "No parking south of here." Um. How many urbanites can tell on a cloudy rainy day what direction is south?
    "No parking within 30 feet of sign." I guarantee most people can't accurately gauge 30 feet.
    "Pay to park." That's clear, but when you put that sign and machine on the far side of the block of a one-way street there's a good chance people driving into the block won't see it.

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    As a non-Californian

Thanks.

Some people are just overtly provincial.

• Options
    NSDFRandNSDFRand FloridaRegistered User regular
    As a non-Californian

Thanks.

They are welcome to move wherever they want, freedom of movement etc.

But don't feign ignorance about why people may react to you in a certain way when you do move somewhere and drive up cost of living. It's also probably not a good look to say you're moving because things are becoming unaffordable at place A and then say that the people at place B complaining are at fault for being somewhere that other wealthier people want to be.

• Options
    As a non-Californian

Thanks.

Haha couldn't hurt.

• Options
    As a non-Californian

Thanks.

Haha couldn't hurt.

Y'all are so bad at it.

I'll let you in on the secret:

Brakes are not your friend.

• Options
    Giggles_FunsworthGiggles_Funsworth Blight on Discourse Bay Area SprawlRegistered User regular
    edited February 2017
    As a non-Californian

Thanks.

Sorry my dude. I left an edit.

I don't think it has to be that way. Tampa, where I'm initially trying to convince people to move to has a really loose real estate market, and I sure as hell won't be paying above market for anything, even if we do end up buying, not that I really have the money to as a young adult.

Also y'all must not be Northern Californians (or at least no further North than the Bay Area. Where I'm from it's temperate rainforest, with heavy rain (42 inch average pre-drought) and snow in the winter. I'd be fine moving to the frosty tundra, but I worry for the three native San Franciscans I'm moving with.

@Captain Marcus Here's the call to action I'll be publishing after formatting it tonight/tomorrow.
    CalExodus: A Plan to Save Free Elections in America

Donald Trump is a man uniquely unqualified to be president. His campaign and future administration are constantly plagued with new scandals, yet he rode into office on a wave of racially charged anger held by those that society has failed, enabled by unprecedented voter suppression and gerrymandering. Many Americans are going to die as our President, the cabinet he is assembling, and the 115th Congress dismantle anything that does not benefit the wealthy, including the right to freely elected representation. There is no guarantee that our next election will be winnable unless radical and immediate action is taken in order to take back the states that decided this election. Our republic, our nation, and our planet are under dire threat.

We are a nation divided, but it is a manufactured division. Conservatives and liberals are separated from one another both geographically and digitally. Because we live far from one another and do not consume the same media sources, it is difficult to find common ground.
    Liberal ideas are popular among conservative voters when they are presented in a non-partisan way. However, the electorate is more vulnerable to misinformation than ever before, and algorithms now present us with news based on what we have previously viewed. People who are passive in their search for information will only see what confirms their preexisting viewpoint. A conservative who lives in a deeply conservative area may never have interactions with to puncture their digital echo chamber.

[word clouds illustrating this effect go here]

Despite losing the popular vote, Trump won the presidency by slim margins. In Michigan, Wisconsin, Pennsylvania, and Florida, Trump won by between 10 and 100 thousand votes. In contrast, he lost the state of California by almost 3.5 million votes.

http://edition.cnn.com/election/results

Voters whose interests are generally aligned with the Democratic Party were unenthusiastic about Clinton. There was lower turnout for Clinton than there was for Obama in the last two elections Additionally, GOP controlled states have engaged in unconstitutional voter suppression of largely democratic voters. This was a bad year for the Democratic Party, but even on this bad year, California maintained more than 17 times the amount of votes that would be required in other states to make the United States popularly and electorally unwinnable for the GOP.

There is no longer any time to wait. Midterms happen in 2018, redistricting happens in 2020. If the Republican Party as it stands is allowed to make more gains in 2018, and then draw the district lines in 2020, we will be out of the checks and balances that provide us with a two party system. One of the only surefire ways of disrupting this kind of voter suppression is population migration, and California’s urban centers have the population to spare. Liberal Californians need to move to these states, as well as target important local races with money from the coasts. Once relocated, we need to assist local liberal organizations where were can and create them where they don’t exist. In order to break up the geographical and digital echo chamber, we need to explain our politics to conservatives residing in these states and listen at every opportunity. With enough organization and outreach, we should be capable of energizing enough voters to save our democracy.

What you can do:

-If capable, start planning a move
    --Florida seems like the most promising target, we will be providing analysis of the most impactful areas we can focus on there, as well as other important states
    -Follow our social media so you can contribute and be aware of new developments as we get more organized, there will be plenty of ways those that can’t move can help

What we need immediately:

-Folks with experience in the following:
    --Web Design
    --Content Generation
    --Law, especially setting up non-profit political entities so we can collect and disburse donations
    --Locals that are engaged with local politics in swing states
    --People with data, especially those with political experience and data in swing states
    -Ideas: this is very much an experiment and we are open to input and help from those with more experience

Giggles_Funsworth on
  • Options
    As a non-Californian

Thanks.

Gentrification is a real thing, but much like false rape accusations or black-on-white racially motivated violence, it is exaggerated to the point of bullshit by people with a tribal axe to grind.

• Options
    As a non-Californian

Thanks.

Good lord tell this to Washingtonians. Everybody is shitty at it here, the California ex-pats are just marginally worse.

• Options
    As a non-Californian

Thanks.

Haha couldn't hurt.

Y'all are so bad at it.

A few years ago, I had the pleasure of driving for the first time in snow covered/icy roads...I can promise you, locals are no better at it than you think.

• Options
    As a non-Californian

Thanks.

Haha couldn't hurt.

Y'all are so bad at it.

A few years ago, I had the pleasure of driving for the first time in snow covered/icy roads...I can promise you, locals are no better at it than you think.

Mostly locals with hoopties and the necks who think 4WD will help them on ice.

• Options
    As a non-Californian

Thanks.

Sorry my dude. I left an edit.

I don't think it has to be that way. Tampa, where I'm initially trying to convince people to move to has a really loose real estate market, and I sure as hell won't be paying above market for anything, even if we do end up buying, not that I really have the money to as a young adult.

Also y'all must not be Northern Californians (or at least no further North than the Bay Area. Where I'm from it's temperate rainforest, with heavy rain (42 inch average pre-drought) and snow in the winter. I'd be fine moving to the frosty tundra, but I worry for the three native San Franciscans I'm moving there with.

@Captain Marcus Here's the call to action I'll be publishing after formatting it tonight/tomorrow.
    CalExodus: A Plan to Save Free Elections in America

Donald Trump is a man uniquely unqualified to be president. His campaign and future administration are constantly plagued with new scandals, yet he rode into office on a wave of racially charged anger held by those that society has failed, enabled by unprecedented voter suppression and gerrymandering. Many Americans are going to die as our President, the cabinet he is assembling, and the 115th Congress dismantle anything that does not benefit the wealthy, including the right to freely elected representation. There is no guarantee that our next election will be winnable unless radical and immediate action is taken in order to take back the states that decided this election. Our republic, our nation, and our planet are under dire threat.

We are a nation divided, but it is a manufactured division. Conservatives and liberals are separated from one another both geographically and digitally. Because we live far from one another and do not consume the same media sources, it is difficult to find common ground.
    Liberal ideas are popular among conservative voters when they are presented in a non-partisan way. However, the electorate is more vulnerable to misinformation than ever before, and algorithms now present us with news based on what we have previously viewed. People who are passive in their search for information will only see what confirms their preexisting viewpoint. A conservative who lives in a deeply conservative area may never have interactions with to puncture their digital echo chamber.

[word clouds illustrating this effect go here]

Despite losing the popular vote, Trump won the presidency by slim margins. In Michigan, Wisconsin, Pennsylvania, and Florida, Trump won by between 10 and 100 thousand votes. In contrast, he lost the state of California by almost 3.5 million votes.

http://edition.cnn.com/election/results

Voters whose interests are generally aligned with the Democratic Party were unenthusiastic about Clinton. There was lower turnout for Clinton than there was for Obama in the last two elections Additionally, GOP controlled states have engaged in unconstitutional voter suppression of largely democratic voters. This was a bad year for the Democratic Party, but even on this bad year, California maintained more than 17 times the amount of votes that would be required in other states to make the United States popularly and electorally unwinnable for the GOP.

There is no longer any time to wait. Midterms happen in 2018, redistricting happens in 2020. If the Republican Party as it stands is allowed to make more gains in 2018, and then draw the district lines in 2020, we will be out of the checks and balances that provide us with a two party system. One of the only surefire ways of disrupting this kind of voter suppression is population migration, and California’s urban centers have the population to spare. Liberal Californians need to move to these states, as well as target important local races with money from the coasts. Once relocated, we need to assist local liberal organizations where were can and create them where they don’t exist. In order to break up the geographical and digital echo chamber, we need to explain our politics to conservatives residing in these states and listen at every opportunity. With enough organization and outreach, we should be capable of energizing enough voters to save our democracy.

What you can do:

-If capable, start planning a move
    --Florida seems like the most promising target, we will be providing analysis of the most impactful areas we can focus on there, as well as other important states
    -Follow our social media so you can contribute and be aware of new developments as we get more organized, there will be plenty of ways those that can’t move can help

What we need immediately:

-Folks with experience in the following:
    --Web Design
    --Content Generation
    --Law, especially setting up non-profit political entities so we can collect and disburse donations
    --Locals that are engaged with local politics in swing states
    --People with data, especially those with political experience and data in swing states
    -Ideas: this is very much an experiment and we are open to input and help from those with more experience

Are you from the trinities or something? I grew up in Mendo, and went to college in Humboldt, so the all sun all the time stereotype doesn't track for me either.

• Options
    HandgimpHandgimp R+L=J Family PhotoRegistered User regular
    I may be moving to Arizona for political reasons, depends if I get this job.

PwH4Ipj.jpg
  • Options
    Handgimp wrote: »

Don't worry. It's just a dry heat.

• Options
    Feral wrote: »
    As a non-Californian

Thanks.

Good lord tell this to Washingtonians. Everybody is shitty at it here, the California ex-pats are just marginally worse.

Same here in Portland. I feel like Oregonians are almost universally bad at driving, and snow doesn't help the matter.

Of course this all subject to my grand unified theory of driving, "Everyone sucks at driving but me."

• Options
    edited February 2017
    As a non-Californian

Thanks.

Same here in Portland. I feel like Oregonians are almost universally bad at driving, and snow doesn't help the matter.

Of course this all subject to my grand unified theory of driving, "Everyone sucks at driving but me."

I feel I'm firmly in the middle. I've been in vehicles where people were going 60 mph on an ice sheet and when they started to slide they inexplicably were able to position the car in a way where they were at a 15 degree angle within the lane, going 60, and still able to make turns.

On purpose, without a drop of sweat.

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    Basically, ice driving to some Midwestern people is the hillbilly version of 2fast2furious.

• Options
    As a non-Californian

Thanks.

I feel I'm firmly in the middle. I've been in vehicles where people were going 60 mph on an ice sheet and when they started to slide they inexplicably were able to position the car in a way where they were at a 15 degree angle within the lane, going 60, and still able to make turns.

So umm, is that a good driver or a bad driver then? Because I'm leaning toward the latter.

• Options
    redxredx I(x)=2(x)+1 whole numbersRegistered User regular
    You get that's bad and unsafe driving because unexpected events happen, right?

They moistly come out at night, moistly.
  • Options
    redx wrote: »

Yup.

So is a transplanted west coaster going 10 mph on an interstate with a dry road because snowflakes are coming down.

• Options
    As a non-Californian

Thanks.

So umm, is that a good driver or a bad driver then? Because I'm leaning toward the latter.

Example of a needlessly reckless driver with way more skill than foresight.

• Options
    HandgimpHandgimp R+L=J Family PhotoRegistered User regular

I live in the desert already, climate will be the same.

PwH4Ipj.jpg
  • Options

I live in the desert already, climate will be the same.

Ahh okay.

Phoenix? Flagstaff?

• Options

Yup.

So is a transplanted west coaster going 10 mph on an interstate with a dry road because snowflakes are coming down.

Stop being a silly goose.

• Options
    redxredx I(x)=2(x)+1 whole numbersRegistered User regular
    edited February 2017

Yup.

true.

i haven't seen that happen.
    i do think most people can't drive in the rain for shit though.

redx on
    They moistly come out at night, moistly.
  • Options

Yup.

It happens. I'm not just making something up so I can honk around.

It happens .

• Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular

...it's still 120 degrees!

• Options

...it's still 120 degrees!

Yeah, the joke around Phoenix is that "it's just a dry heat" is on t-shirts, usually accompanied by a cartoon skeleton in the desert.

In the concrete jungle, ground temps can easily get above 130.

• Options

Yup.

It happens .

And the aforementioned snow/ice conditions I mentioned were hampered by locals driving too slow to blow away otherwise non-accumulating snowfall. And I see locals here drive too slowly on completely dry highways in the middle lane causing others to have to slow down to get around them causing all other traffic to bunch up behind them.

Bad driving is not limited to people from places you don't like reacting in ways you think are dumb.

Stop being a goose about it.

• Options

Yup.

It happens .

And the aforementioned snow/ice conditions I mentioned were hampered by locals driving too slow to blow away otherwise non-accumulating snowfall. And I see locals here drive too slowly on completely dry highways in the middle lane causing others to have to slow down to get around them causing all other traffic to bunch up behind them.

Bad driving is not limited to people from places you don't like reacting in ways you think are dumb.

Stop being a goose about it.

I'm not doing... anything you're saying.

The audacity of me... saying people don't know how to drive in weather conditions they've never seen before.

• Options
    I don't think jrx is being a goose. His complaints look legit to me.

• Options
    edited February 2017
    I don't think jrx is being a goose. His complaints look legit to me.

It's mostly ribbing.

If I knew someone was going to get deeply offended, I wouldn't have done it.

People were getting kinda heated on the gentrification issue and I thought a little levity would be okay.

But then I guess not.

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    Mortal Sky wrote: »
    Because yeah Chicago or Detroit are a) way better for ethnic food than you'd guess, and b) sorta okay for driving. Detroit is actually good for traffic! Just gotta live with the cold

Chicago is either the second or third best city in the country for food, depending on where you come down on Chicago vs San Francisco. It's also an incredibly diverse city, and that diversity is well-represented in dining options.

Chicago traffic blows though. Consistently in the 10 worst cities, and deservedly so.