As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

For Sale: 2017 [Car thread] - No Rust! New Clutch! Blown Turbo!

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    mRahmani wrote: »
    Damn, that sucks. :sad:

Yup... Anyone have an extra ten grand laying around so I can pay the car off?

• Options
    pimentopimento she/they/pim Registered User regular
    Someone sound the Numbers signal, it's time for an LS swap!

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    pimento wrote: »

In a Tiguan? Nah, just put a Mitsubishi EVO drivetrain in it.

• Options
    L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular

But that sounds reasonable!
    I thought the point was that an LS would fit in ANYTHING.

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Can I put a hemi in it?

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular

But that sounds reasonable!
    I thought the point was that an LS would fit in ANYTHING.

In a Tiguan though? It'd either hang halfway out the front bumper or get in the way of both front seats.
    Can I put a hemi in it?

Only if you want it to suck.

• Options
  • Options
    I'm just going to buy an old beat up Del Sol and the kids can ride on the hood.

• Options
    BouwsTBouwsT Wanna come to a super soft birthday party? Registered User regular
    I'm just going to buy an old beat up Del Sol and the kids can ride on the hood.

They could make some excellent ornaments... How do kids react to chrome paint?

Between you and me, Peggy, I smoked this Juul and it did UNTHINKABLE things to my mind and body...
  • Options
    I'm thinking I could get a little pull behind they can sit in

• Options

Lol, you think a Del Sol can tow something...

• Options

Just three kids! I'll attach their little plastic wagon to it.

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular

Someone just got arrested in my town for towing her kids in a wagon using her car. She was doing laps around a roundabout. She said she wanted to show her kids a good time.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    webguy20 wrote: »

Someone just got arrested in my town for towing her kids in a wagon using her car. She was doing laps around a roundabout. She said she wanted to show her kids a good time.

That was me. It was a Minority Report

• Options
    edited July 2017
    webguy20 wrote: »

That was me. It was a Minority Report

qVsyUhi.gif

Donovan Puppyfucker on
  • Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    After paying to replace the A/C blower on my car last month, now the entire A/C compressor has blown and damaged most of the rest of the A/C system. Fixing it is worth more than the trade-in value of the car, but still less than the cost of a new used car.

• Options
    CormacCormac Registered User regular
    Went back to the dealerships with my Dad today, and unsurprisingly he's most likely going to end up in a Lexus of some kind.

We took turns driving a BMW 320i which was great other than terribly load road/wind noise. My GTI with a turbo back exhaust is quieter than it is at highway speeds. The 320i's engine was also completely gutless. I didn't think a turbo-4 could feel so slow. The handling, ergonomics, and interior quality were all great, but the road noise made the car an instant nope. He did make an appointment to go back and maybe look at a CPO 5 series and/or new 3 series specced to his preferences.

Back at Lexus he drove the GS again and still wasn't crazy about it. His primary issue is how the accelerator pedal feels. To him, he finds the floor hinged pedal too stiff and takes too much pressure to hold at a constant speed. I took it out myself and didn't find that to be the case, but I'm also used to a car with a floor hinged accelerator pedal. Floor hinged vs hanging pedals do feel very different, and having driven the same car for 12+ years the adjustment is hard for him.

He then took out a NX and came away feeling mixed. Great to drive but terrible rear visibility. There's also no practical need in his life for a crossover versus a sedan so long as the sedan has a pass through or fold down rear seat.

In short, we're back at the ES as the most likely candidate but now a lease instead of a loan. The GS is still in the running due to having AWD as an option which the ES does not, but it's lease may be too expensive. The Volvo S60 is still a possibility but we're both concerned about long term reliability if he chooses to buy out the lease in three years to keep the car another 7-10. Then again he may just lease a new car after three years so that'll be a moot point.

Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • Options
    Dedwrekka wrote: »
    After paying to replace the A/C blower on my car last month, now the entire A/C compressor has blown and damaged most of the rest of the A/C system. Fixing it is worth more than the trade-in value of the car, but still less than the cost of a new used car.

My Volvo did that (but was still financially worth replacing both), with the compressor going out a week before driving across the country Handily the mechanic had time to replace it before I left. If the rest of the car is servicable to you then it it might still make sense to replace it, or you can put up with no AC for a while, if the rest of the car is going out too.

• Options
    mRahmanimRahmani DetroitRegistered User regular
    So I took the SS out for its second autocross. The good: I was within a 1.2 seconds of 1st place on the garbage factory Bridgestones. (RE050A)

The bad: two back to back hot laps were enough to get it puking coolant.
    uJrtoJt.jpg

It wasn't a particularly hot day, roughly 80°F/27°C, so that's not very confidence inspiring. Oddly the temp gauge never got over the halfway mark, so not really sure what's going on.

• Options
    Is that coolant, or power steering fluid? They used to like boiling their p/s fluid if you so much as looked at driving them on a race track, but Holden supposedly fixed that a few years ago.

• Options
    Got the air bag replaced in the Subaru last week... and now apparently they've been using dodgy replacements to replace the dodgy bags. Slow clap.

• Options
    Is that coolant, or power steering fluid? They used to like boiling their p/s fluid if you so much as looked at driving them on a race track, but Holden supposedly fixed that a few years ago.

Nah, it was definitely coolant. I haven't had a chance to pull the wheel liner and get a good look at the area, but it looks like there's a small hole in the top of the overflow tank for boil over. I'll try to get a better look later in the week.

• Options
    L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    The gauge never moved because it's a dummy gauge. Most gauges have been dummies for decades, wherein they always sit in the middle unless it's actually exploding, in which case the gauge is not necessary.

To get around that, I bought an OBDII port sensor that connects to my phone via Bluetooth, and I watch that.

• Options
    Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    bluh, the Subaru has acquired a wobble that is noticable at high and low speeds alike

time to determine whether or not that's worth fixing or if it's time to move on

• Options
    Mortal Sky wrote: »
    bluh, the Subaru has acquired a wobble that is noticable at high and low speeds alike

Does the frequency relate to vehicle speed? Does the shake come through the steering wheel, or the seat?

• Options
    Have someone follow behind you to see if there's a wheel doing a dance. Could just be a slightly bulged tyre?

• Options
    jwalkjwalk Registered User regular
    pretty easy to put it on a lift and inspect bushings etc, wiggling things with a pry bar if needed.

• Options
    jwalk wrote: »
    pretty easy to put it on a lift and inspect bushings etc, wiggling things with a pry bar if needed.

Where can I hire a lift out for cheap, please?

• Options
    jwalkjwalk Registered User regular
    I'm sure you can find a shop that will diagnose it for not a lot, maybe not free but... if the alternative is towing the car to a junkyard, I mean... give it a shot?

• Options

Does the frequency relate to vehicle speed? Does the shake come through the steering wheel, or the seat?

yup, frequency - low speeds are a noticable wobble like being a ship on an ocean, anything past 75 km/h is (especially without power steering or dampers) like putting my hands on a jackhammer to the extent that driving for twenty minutes last night gave me hand blisters

• Options
    Where is the best place to look for a used engine for my car? Ebay?

• Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular

yup, frequency - low speeds are a noticable wobble like being a ship on an ocean, anything past 75 km/h is (especially without power steering or dampers) like putting my hands on a jackhammer to the extent that driving for twenty minutes last night gave me hand blisters

Had that two months ago, it turned out that the tires were delaminated. First noticed it on the Highway, car would shake, steering wheel would shake as well. Then it started becoming more noticeable at any speed. Within a week it felt like I was holding onto an unbalanced washing machine instead of a steering wheel. Maybe check out your tires?

• Options
    Dedwrekka wrote: »

Had that two months ago, it turned out that the tires were delaminated. First noticed it on the Highway, car would shake, steering wheel would shake as well. Then it started becoming more noticeable at any speed. Within a week it felt like I was holding onto an unbalanced washing machine instead of a steering wheel. Maybe check out your tires?

hm, this could be it! time to find a shop...

• Options
    Yeah a failed tire would be my first guess there.

Other possibilities, really bad wheel bearing?

• Options
    jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    Where is the best place to look for a used engine for my car? Ebay?

I'd start with local wrecker yards and mechanics, just to see if you can save on freight costs and things like that. Wouldn't hurt to also do a check of your local Craigslist.

• Options
    mRahmani wrote: »
    Yeah a failed tire would be my first guess there.

Other possibilities, really bad wheel bearing?

my other guess was that my tiny, totally solid brake discs may have finally gone

tire seems like the simplest to check and easiest to replace at the very least

• Options
    edited July 2017
    also wondering if 15" wheels might be a good upgrade - found a place with new-production 4x140s at $90 a pop...

edit: ran the numbers and it looks like 185/55r15 or a similar ratio (wider is fine in this case because of Subaru's huge offset values) would only alter my output ratios from current (185/70sr13) by about 1.5% and 195/50r15 would actually be the exact same ratio!

Mortal Sky on
  • Options

Yeah that's either a dead tyre (or two!) on the steering axle, a thoroughly out of balance wheel on the steering axle, or a bent wheel on the steering axle. You bounced this thing off any kerbs lately?

This discussion has been closed.