As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

For Sale: 2017 [Car thread] - No Rust! New Clutch! Blown Turbo!

• Options
    KrieghundKrieghund Registered User regular
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Kind of? I do wanna put an LT4 in a Toyobaru, but that's really the extent of my Chevy allegiance.

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Label wrote: »
    The new Supra.

https://imgur.com/a/N6EbO

I just don't think I'm feeling it.

(supposed leaks from a JPN magazine)

So it's the FT-1 Concept Car?

https://www.toyota.com/concept-vehicles/

Well yes, that is what that concept was for we knew that. But concepts have varying amounts of potential drastic change from the actual model so you never really know what you're gonna get. Sometimes a concept looks fucking awful but when toned down the actual car looks good. Sometimes the other way around.

The leak is SUPPOSEDLY the production model. And that's what this is about. The concept is just that... a concept.

• Options
    jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    This is the last week of non-press car One Takes on The Smoking Tire.

• Options
    McFodderMcFodder Registered User regular
    I got to drive the new Commodore yesterday.

It's a really nice car that isn't at all what people say they want from a Commodore, but they haven't been buying the last few model Commodores anyway, so yeah.

Switch Friend Code: SW-3944-9431-0318
    PSN / Xbox / NNID: Fodder185
  • Options
    McFodder wrote: »
    I got to drive the new Commodore yesterday.

It's a really nice car that isn't at all what people say they want from a Commodore, but they haven't been buying the last few model Commodores anyway, so yeah.

They sell it as the Buick Regal here in the US and it has been getting very good reviews. It's also one of the last true wagons around so it gets some big points from me.

• Options
    RadiationRadiation Registered User regular
    Car thread.
    I was rear-ended last year. It totaled out the car, between Christmas trip and me mostly working from home, I've not really had to put much into looking for a car. But the time has come because 1 car family is not ideal. I've been leaning more towards a smaller truck, because I do have a bit of hauling to do occasionally and don't really need to take more than me and one person somewhere in it (we already have the family car. I really like the size of the like...2003 and older Tacoma's with the not really a backseat cab. I think anything current is...too big? But I've also yet to step in dealer area to see how things are sized up. I've been keeping my eyes open for stuff on the road, but not really seeing much yet.

Any thoughts/suggestions? Also torn on not really wanting to take out a car payment and kind of wanting something newer-ish so we dont have to worry about it as much. I got about 5K from insurance payout but could put more against it.

PSN: jfrofl
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Nissan Frontier is still a solid bet for a not huge truck.

Everything else is going to be big. The Colorado/Canyon might be up your alley, you can get the kinda back seat in those.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    RadiationRadiation Registered User regular
    edited February 2018
    I more want that for the adjust front seat space.
    But sweet, I'll check out the frontier. How does Nissan hold up? I have a few buddies that are big Toyota fanboys (and I've mostly owned Honda/Toyota and enjoyed all the cars I've had), so maybe its similar.

Radiation on
    PSN: jfrofl
  • Options
    The Frontier is the closest you can get to buying a new "old" truck for better or worse. It's smaller than the other trucks but it's also feeling behind the times in terms of interior quality and features.

• Options
    Gotcha.

No matter what you do your best bet is to get used, especially if you buy domestic. My old boss got a 50k Dodge for 34k used with only 12k miles. It was freakin' sweet. Also stay away from any trucks that have modifications. I don't trust anybody else with my vehicles besides my mechanics, let alone some yahoo who wanted to drive over stumps.

• Options
    mRahmanimRahmani DetroitRegistered User regular
    I love the old Rangers as a compact truck option. The extended cabs have little jump seats that drop down from the doors and will do fine for hauling kids around town in a pinch.

• Options
    mRahmani wrote: »
    I love the old Rangers as a compact truck option. The extended cabs have little jump seats that drop down from the doors and will do fine for hauling kids around town in a pinch.

They are starting to get long in tooth as the last model year was 2011, but If someone is willing to do some wrenching they're pretty easy to keep going. The old Chevy S10 is the same.

• Options
    This is the car thread so if I'm going to recommend a small used truck it really should be the GMC Syclone.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Is there still no way to buy a Hilux/Ranger/Triton/Amarok in the US?

Does anyone have some spare cash I can borrow to start an importing business?

• Options
    LabelLabel Registered User regular
    If you're looking at older stuff, it may be worth keeping in mind the Takata airbag recall mess.

https://www.nhtsa.gov/recall-spotlight/takata-air-bags

• Options
    edited February 2018

No, due to the 25 year import ban. Some of the earliest hilux models might be good now to import. You could probably strip of a VIN tag from a recked tacoma and put it on a modern hilux and it would look close enough to a legal toyota that you wouldn't get caught, but you wouldn't ever be able to sell it.

webguy20 on
  • Options
    SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    webguy20 wrote: »

No, due to the 25 year import ban. Some of the earliest hilux models might be good now to import. You could probably strip of a VIN tag from a recked tacoma and put it on a modern hilux and it would look close enough to a legal toyota that you wouldn't get caught, but you wouldn't ever be able to sell it.

Committing felonies is probably not in anyone's interest.

Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • Options
    edited February 2018
    For a while a company was importing utes from Australia broken down into components and reassembling them stateside and calling them kit cars, and apparently that flew.

Ahh just looked it up and they were importing bodies and installing them on legal US chassis like the pontiac gto.

webguy20 on
  • Options
    No I mean new utes. Like the Ranger Raptor. And the V6 Amarok. They should sell like fucking hotcakes. All we gotta do is get that chicken tax bullshit repealed...

• Options
    pimentopimento she/they/pim Registered User regular
    The new Ranger is coming the US soon. If that and the Colorado actually sell, I'm sure the Amarok and Triton will follow.

• Options
    Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    I see a fair number of new Colorados and Tacos out and about. They just make so much more sense than a full size in most areas on the East Coast

• Options
    Matt: "Wow, this is pretty quick!"
    Owner: "Yeah, I mean, we're going 60mph."
    Matt: "DON'T SAY THAT!"

(warning, annoying plastic rubbing on tire squeal from an errant bit of fairing that got dislodged by a pothole)

https://youtu.be/PtLkfzC033Y

• Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
  • Options
    edited February 2018
    The president of Ford North America has been fired (rather, forced to resign) after an investigation into an anonymous report of "inappropriate behavior."

jgeis on
  • Options
    JansonJanson Registered User regular
    My car has a ton of small scratches (they appear white, so not right down to the metal, but still deep). I have no idea when they occurred - I've been mainly driving when it's dark or low light, and I don't really look at the car body that much. But I'm pretty sure that a few months ago I had none, so I suspect it may have been a deliberate thing. I don't see how I could go 4 years without a scratch, then suddenly get a ton accidentally (we're talking 10-12 here).

From what I've seen even small scratches can be fairly pricey to repair? I don't have the funds now, but I'm still paying this car off and it's my car and I would like to get them painted at some point.

• Options
    a nu starta nu start Registered User regular
    I feel like maybe a 1.0L Ecoboost and the Cappuccino would go nicely together.

Number One Tricky
  • Options
  • Options
    L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
  • Options
    Hyundai is bringing a 2.2L turbo diesel with 200hp/320tq to the American Santa Fe that you can pair with AWD. If I have a kid or in the next few years, the Santa Fe has just jumped to the front of the pack for family hauler.

• Options
    jgeis wrote: »
    Hyundai is bringing a 2.2L turbo diesel with 200hp/320tq to the American Santa Fe that you can pair with AWD. If I have a kid or in the next few years, the Santa Fe has just jumped to the front of the pack for family hauler.

In front of the AMG E63 S?

• Options
    jgeis wrote: »

In front of the AMG E63 S?

Well if my budget changes drastically, of course.

• Options
    I was looking at the Mazda CX9 and that is a sweet lookin' ride.

• Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    webguy20 wrote: »
    I was looking at the Mazda CX9 and that is a sweet lookin' ride.

Yeah, we saw 0% APR deal, pretty tempting.

• Options
    pimentopimento she/they/pim Registered User regular
    Dang bike's not starting - the button, it does nothing. The fuses are fine, the battery's fine, but if I jam my tester things into the line leading to the starter solenoid and press the button, there's no 12V appearing there. Not a click, nada. It might be one of the relays dangling off the side I guesse.. or the button itself.

• Options
    Yeah, relay is my next guess, followed by the button.

• Options
    I just realized that there are probably some amateur rallycross events out here given the terrain and sure enough, they run events out in San Bernardino. Next one is in mid-April, already missed the first event in the series for the year.

Looking at the results for the stock 2-wheel drive class, the top 5 cars were (in order):

'92 Dodge Stealth
    '99 Toyota Camry
    '08 Hyundai Accent
    '16 Ford Focus ST
    '03 Mitsubishi Outlander

Very tempted to take my Elantra GT out there and see how it does. To get into the stock class my investment would be a helmet, the entry fee, and tires if I choose to get some tires for dirt track racing.

• Options
    DeciusDecius I'm old! I'm fat! I'M BLUE!Registered User regular
    One of those cars is not like the others... :lol:

camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
  • Options
    My brother took his Regal out to an event. It's a lot of fun and (at least here) was pretty laid back, with lots of people to offer tips to newbies. It's generally run in grassy fields out here, so not much risk of damaging anything on the vehicle unless you really screw up.

• Options
    DeciusDecius I'm old! I'm fat! I'M BLUE!Registered User regular
    Oh sure, but least that's still a car.

Haha I tried to convince my dad to let me take his 19999 Olds Intrigue to the local rally club for a day of fun. He had just bought a brand new F-150 in 2015, and the Intrigue was basically worthless. He was convinced that he could get some decent money for it at auction though. He only got $100 :(. Wasn't worth the time or effort, and it would have funnier to see a full size sedan running with a bunch of Subies and Neons.

camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
This discussion has been closed.