Options

The [Trump Cabinet] thread

• Options
    ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    But he's just handing the investigation off to is deputy... who reports to him.

I'm not seeing this as a real solution.

It's not meant to be one. This is throwing a bone to the dogs to get them to stop howling.

If the pressure from the public keeps up the administration will go to the next bone, which I'm guessing would be to have a special prosecutor happen. But that's only if the pressure keeps up.

I would think resignation before special prosecutor. The former is embarrassing, but the latter actually has teeth; per my understanding of what a special prosecutor can do (which may be inaccurate).

ArbitraryDescriptor on
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Hakkekage wrote: »
    Lol. Won't confirm or deny the existence of any probe or investigation.

And it's questions now. Reporter asks what was happening at the meeting. He says that the Russian ambassador sent a "staffer" to his office, and it was just a meeting between staffers (retired Army col.!) and just listened to "what his concerns might be"

He doesn't remember a lot of it, but he went to Russia with a church group in 1991, and he's not a believer himself...this folksy demeanor is beyond aggravating

Wait this is a new story because before he claimed it was related to the arm service committee?

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    Huh.

So...

Immediate gut reaction is the following, in order:
    Oh shit
    oh... SHIT
    Oh. shit.

So either they think nothing will come of this, or they know they're fucked?

There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular
    And that's it, he ran away as fast as his genteel little legs could carry him.

3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
  • Options
    Viktor WaltersViktor Walters Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    That last bit was straight up admitting to perjury, right?

Edit: I don't have a transcript but basically he said the following:
    "Well, they asked me if I had met Russians, I said no"
    "I guess I shoulda slowed down and said I did meet a Russian"
    "Goodbye now"

Viktor Walters on
  • Options
    Preacher wrote: »

And it's questions now. Reporter asks what was happening at the meeting. He says that the Russian ambassador sent a "staffer" to his office, and it was just a meeting between staffers (retired Army col.!) and just listened to "what his concerns might be"

He doesn't remember a lot of it, but he went to Russia with a church group in 1991, and he's not a believer himself...this folksy demeanor is beyond aggravating

Wait this is a new story because before he claimed it was related to the arm service committee?

I don't know, I haven't been able to keep on top of the particulars today due to work and I had to take a call right after that post, and literally by the time I was done he was scurrying away.

This ain't over, Sessions.

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    But he's just handing the investigation off to is deputy... who reports to him.

I'm not seeing this as a real solution.

It's not meant to be one. This is throwing a bone to the dogs to get them to stop howling.

If the pressure from the public keeps up the administration will go to the next bone, which I'm guessing would be to have a special prosecutor happen. But that's only if the pressure keeps up.

I would think resignation before special prosecutor. The former is embarrassing, but the latter actually has teeth; per my understanding of what a special prosecutor can do (which may be inaccurate).

The special prosecutor regulations were changed in 1999. It is not clear at all they're as scary as they one were. Especially not to the AG themselves.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    cursedkingcursedking Registered User regular

he meant from further ridiculous explanation that it was "concerns about terrorism"

then he said the conversation did turn to Ukraine where it got "testy" and the russian invited him to lunch but he declined

although ukraine being a topic and the line someone connected to the lessening of the line about Crimea on the same day for the GOP makes that...pretty damming circumstantial evidence.

Types: Boom + Robo | Food: Sweet | Habitat: Plains
  • Options
    CptHamiltonCptHamilton Registered User regular

No, it's a new story because prior to yesterday nobody was aware he'd met with the Russian ambassador during the campaign/transition period at all.
    The Washington Post published last night that he'd met with the ambassador twice - once following an RNC event and then a follow-up meeting in DC. Prior to last night, when asked (twice) during his confirmation hearing Sessions said, "Nope, no Russians!" Only now it turns out it's, "Yup, one Russian! But that doesn't count!"

The ACLU is talking about perjury charges. If the spoken and written statements during confirmation hearings count as "under oath" I'm not sure how he can avoid at least a hearing on those. He was very plainly asked questions that he answered in a fashion that is obviously implying one case when the truth is something else. It's not quite Clinton-level "the definition of 'is'" but it's not that far off.

PSN,Steam,Live | CptHamiltonian
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    Sessions: Didn't share his meetings w/ Russian ambassador because he was "taken aback" by Franken's question..

What does that even mean? Al Franken's question didn't even ask Sessions if he had talked to Russian government members.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Tim Kaine was on NPR and pointed out it's not just Sessions' recorded statements that they are saying he lied about, but also written statements he made. So trying to play the semantics game is just smokescreen (obviously).

• Options
    ElbasunuElbasunu Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    "THey don't know the rules" when talking about white house staff and ethics is so hilarious to me. That's not something you say to make the president not look like an idiot for saying you weren't going to recuse yourself.

Elbasunu on
    g1xfUKU.png?10zfegkyoor3b.png
    Steam ID: Obos Vent: Obos
  • Options
    SleepSleep Registered User regular
    Couscous wrote: »
    Sessions: Didn't share his meetings w/ Russian ambassador because he was "taken aback" by Franken's question..

What does that even mean? Al Franken's question didn't even ask Sessions if he had talked to Russian government members.

I'm sorry(and pardon the phrasing), but maybe as the attorney general of the United States you should be less of a bitch?

• Options
    ArcTangentArcTangent Registered User regular
    That last bit was straight up admitting to perjury, right?

Edit: I don't have a transcript but basically he said the following:
    "Well, they asked me if I had met Russians, I said no"
    "I guess I shoulda slowed down and said I did meet a Russian"
    "Goodbye now"

Did you meet with any Russian officials?
    Nah, just the people who work for them.

Yeeeeeeah...

ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular

I don't know, I haven't been able to keep on top of the particulars today due to work and I had to take a call right after that post, and literally by the time I was done he was scurrying away.

The Democrats need to keep the pressure on here. There's so much more here to milk and if we can eliminate Sessions, things are looking way up.

• Options
    centraldogmacentraldogma Registered User regular
    This is the kind of stuff I expect from the money hat appointments like Devose. Session was a sitting Senator, an experienced politician. You would expect him to know how to play the game and not get caught.

When people unite together, they become stronger than the sum of their parts.
    Don't assume bad intentions over neglect and misunderstanding.
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    This is the kind of stuff I expect from the money hat appointments like Devose. Session was a sitting Senator, an experienced politician. You would expect him to know how to play the game and not get caught.

I honestly think a lot of the GOP thought using the russians to fuck the democrats would be ok when they are in charge.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    So in essence it seems Attorney General Jeff Sessions is recusing himself in favor of Deputy Attorney General Geoff Cessions, who is totally not Jeff Sessions with a wig and fake mustache?

• Options
    ArcTangentArcTangent Registered User regular

Having no shame and an anti-intellectual streak doesn't work 100% of the time, even for Republicans.

ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
  • Options
    PellaeonPellaeon Registered User regular

Despite what the most recent election would sugest, the Democrats don't have a monopoly on hubris.

I wouldn't be surprised if the majority of his hearing prep was "how to not look entirely like a racist asshole" and he didn't spend any time even thinking about the russian angle, or thought his answer was good enough, because fuck you I'm going to be the attorney general I don't give a crap what you think, or whatever.

I mean, he still doesn't seem to give a shit about it, they still own the government, here's a half assed recusal, I've put the minimum effort required into this, now leave me alone I have some voting rights to abolish.

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Signs something is up. someone took away Donald's twitter the last few days

• Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    edited March 2017

No, it's a new story because prior to yesterday nobody was aware he'd met with the Russian ambassador during the campaign/transition period at all.
    The Washington Post published last night that he'd met with the ambassador twice - once following an RNC event and then a follow-up meeting in DC. Prior to last night, when asked (twice) during his confirmation hearing Sessions said, "Nope, no Russians!" Only now it turns out it's, "Yup, one Russian! But that doesn't count!"

The ACLU is talking about perjury charges. If the spoken and written statements during confirmation hearings count as "under oath" I'm not sure how he can avoid at least a hearing on those. He was very plainly asked questions that he answered in a fashion that is obviously implying one case when the truth is something else. It's not quite Clinton-level "the definition of 'is'" but it's not that far off.

He can avoid a hearing by resigning and perjury is extremely difficult to prosecute.

Butters on
    PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    august wrote: »

This tells me he will resign tomorrow, after POTUS talks to Putin.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Pellaeon wrote: »

Despite what the most recent election would sugest, the Democrats don't have a monopoly on hubris.

I wouldn't be surprised if the majority of his hearing prep was "how to not look entirely like a racist asshole" and he didn't spend any time even thinking about the russian angle, or thought his answer was good enough, because fuck you I'm going to be the attorney general I don't give a crap what you think, or whatever.

I mean, he still doesn't seem to give a shit about it, they still own the government, here's a half assed recusal, I've put the minimum effort required into this, now leave me alone I have some voting rights to abolish.

Remember that all Trump's supporters, not the GOP coat-tail-riders but the people who've actually always supported him, are essentially morons who attached themselves to a long-shot because they literally had nothing else.

I really get the impression they didn't think the Russian thing would ever come up.

• Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    shryke wrote: »
    Pellaeon wrote: »

Remember that all Trump's supporters, not the GOP coat-tail-riders but the people who've actually always supported him, are essentially morons who attached themselves to a long-shot because they literally had nothing else.

I really get the impression they didn't think the Russian thing would ever come up.

I think it's also important to point out this is a bunch of 70-fucking-year-old men that probably thought they could control leaks despite the fact that nearly everyone in the world has a mobile computer that can record video in their fucking pocket at all times.

If there is one central theme to Trumpism it's old thinking.

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular

Yeah, it was maybe one or two steps removed from:

"So why did you leave your last place of employment?"

"IT'S NOT BECAUSE I STOLE FROM THE REGISTER!"

Except what he was denying out of nowhere was far worse.

• Options
    Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    edited March 2017

Yeah, it was maybe one or two steps removed from:

"So why did you leave your last place of employment?"

"IT'S NOT BECAUSE I STOLE FROM THE REGISTER!"

Except what he was denying out of nowhere was far worse.

Yeah Franken only actually asked him what he would do if he found there was inappropriate communication. It was only the written follow up that directly asked about sessions specifically. His answer to Franken's question was a total non-sequitur.

Edit:

SEN. AL FRANKEN: "If there was any evidence that anyone affiliated with the Trump campaign communicated with the Russian government in the course of this (2016) campaign, what would you do?," the Minnesota Democrat asked.

SESSIONS: "I'm not aware of any of those activities. I have been called a surrogate at a time or two in that campaign and I did not have communications with the Russians."

How can they be so bad at this? He is a lawyer for fucks sake.

Jealous Deva on
  • Options
    shryke wrote: »

The Democrats need to keep the pressure on here. There's so much more here to milk and if we can eliminate Sessions, things are looking way up.

Pelosi at least is not satisfied

• Options
    Mr KhanMr Khan Not Everyone WAHHHRegistered User regular

Meaning the upitty Democrat gave him the vapors with his improper senatorial conduct.

• Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    Called my senators asking them to insist Sessions resign and they were like welp we already did so thanks for your support!

Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular

Its significantly beyond "the definition of 'is' is". Clinton responded that he wasn't currently in a relationship. He was questioned about whether or not he was truthful and he said "yes, i was not in a relationship at the time, if you take "is" to mean 'ever' then no, i had been"

This is just straight up easy perjury.

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    Goumindong wrote: »

Its significantly beyond "the definition of 'is' is". Clinton responded that he wasn't currently in a relationship. He was questioned about whether or not he was truthful and he said "yes, i was not in a relationship at the time, if you take "is" to mean 'ever' then no, i had been"

This is just straight up easy perjury.

Yea, somebody pointed out up thread that the huge damning thing is the written statements he provided which usually fall under the same penalty of perjury. Those are a fucking slam dunk.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    LabelLabel Registered User regular
    Called my senators asking them to insist Sessions resign and they were like welp we already did so thanks for your support!

I called mine too, they're all on board already.

But they did mention that the House is capable (technically) of impeachment for Sessions, I think? Might be the thing to get on next?

• Options
    JoeUserJoeUser Forum Santa Registered User regular
    The House really calls the shots in this, and they don't seem keen to do anything

• Options
    SleepSleep Registered User regular
    JoeUser wrote: »
    The House really calls the shots in this, and they don't seem keen to do anything

Did you see the fucking evil ass grin on Ryan's face all of Tuesday night?

This is all wonderful to him.

Fuckin Russia? Why the fuck would I give a fuck about Russia? I'm getting everything I want.

• Options
    PellaeonPellaeon Registered User regular
    The house is apparently too busy playing hide and seek with the ACA repeal bill to bother with anything else.

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Sleep wrote: »
    JoeUser wrote: »

Did you see the fucking evil ass grin on Ryan's face all of Tuesday night?

This is all wonderful to him.

Fuckin Russia? Why the fuck would I give a fuck about Russia? I'm getting everything I want.

I don't know why, but when I was reading this I read it as "did you see that fucking evil ass gym rat Ryan?" And I was like, "good mildly obscure insult there, Sleep!"

r1gnkwc.jpg

But yeah, fuck Paul Ryan and his complete lack of conscience.

Cambiata on
    Peace to fashion police, I wear my heart
    On my sleeve, let the runway start
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    All I will say is this is moving way faster than Watergate ever did.

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    All I will say is this is moving way faster than Watergate ever did.

This is what a major scandal looks like at Twitter speeds.

We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
This discussion has been closed.