As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Foreign Policy in the Age of Trump

• Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    PLA wrote: »
    Putin has people killed for his convenience. Duterte takes time out of his own schedule to kill people because it's fun.

And, as has been pointed out a lot, Putin never pulled the trigger or gave the word. He created a system where doing so for him advances ones career under him.

Duterte definitely gave the word, and boasts that he regularly pulls the trigger. He is the Wilson Fisk to Putin's Vito Corleone.

• Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    Hevach wrote: »
    Putin has people killed for his convenience. Duterte takes time out of his own schedule to kill people because it's fun.

And, as has been pointed out a lot, Putin never pulled the trigger or gave the word. He created a system where doing so for him advances ones career under him.

Duterte definitely gave the word, and boasts that he regularly pulls the trigger. He is the Wilson Fisk to Putin's Vito Corleone.

Have any of them been U.S. citizens? If the president was anyone but Trump, I'd be assuming that Duterte probably wouldn't be going home after the meeting.

• Options
    kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular

Both terrible

Putin's way probably altogether worse than the other

We should as a nation decry both of them

I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
  • Options
    Giggles_FunsworthGiggles_Funsworth Blight on Discourse Bay Area SprawlRegistered User regular
    edited May 2017
    Archangle wrote: »
    Phyphor wrote: »
    hippofant wrote: »
    Nyysjan wrote: »
    Here's another measure of a nation's relative militarization:

<snip>

Data is from Wikipedia (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_number_of_military_and_paramilitary_personnel), cited from the 2014 edition of "The Military Balance" published annually by the International Institute for Strategic Studies.

Note, I've hidden a lot of rows above Canada.

If we use active personnel per capita, the US ranks slightly higher at 53 with 4.6. Canada would come in right below at 54 with 4.5.
    We made top ten?
    I'm not sure how i feel about this acchievement.
    yay?

You're at #64 when counting just active personnel. I assume this is the result of some policy in which all Finns are all considered reserve personnel, which may or may not be actually reflected in factual military capability.

It's likely the same reason why SK is #2, compulsory military service

Also, that number for Canada is hilariously wrong. According to the Canadian Forces itself it has somewhere between 80 and 90000 total, including reserves
    On the flipside of wrongness, Singapore - 400k is just the reservists active at any one time, due to the 10year call up cycle. The mandatory service and lower levels of call-up means they actually have a total pool of around 1.4million reservists to draw on if necessary.
    V1m wrote: »
    Here's a quick sense-check to see if you live in a highly militarised nation:

Does your government spend as much on its military as the next highest 8 or 9 nations combined?

NO [ ]
    YES[ ]

If you checked YES then you might live in a highly militarised nation

What if your country is also larger than the next 8 or 9 nations combined?

TBH I had no idea we spent that little (as a percentage of GDP) on the military and I'm a little taken aback.
    Considering the top 10 includes China and India...

I didn't see them in the list upthread...

Giggles_Funsworth on
  • Options
    Giggles_FunsworthGiggles_Funsworth Blight on Discourse Bay Area SprawlRegistered User regular

Hell no. Wilson Fisk is a sophisticated criminal genius.

Duterte's more of a Scarface near's I can tell.

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    Mayabird wrote: »
    JoeUser wrote: »
    Someone called the adults

National Security Chief Tells South Korea U.S. Will Pay for Defense System

SEOUL—White House national-security chief Lt. Gen. H.R. McMaster told his South Korean counterpart that the U.S. would pay for a missile-defense system designed to protect against a North Korean missile attack, apparently reversing President Donald Trump’s remark on Thursday that South Korea should pay for the roughly $1 billion battery.

In a 35-minute phone call Sunday morning, Gen. McMaster told Kim Kwan-jin, South Korea’s national-security adviser, that the U.S. would finance Terminal High-Altitude Area Defense, or Thaad, as agreed to by the two countries last year, according to a statement from South Korea’s presidential Blue House.

This will get really interesting depending on how Trump reacts and what can do about this if he wants to shut it down. If he does McMaster and SK better pray he doesn't hear about this until it's too late.

Considering how Trump has the attention span of a petulant child and can't read more than half a page at a time without getting bored, it's really easy to keep him from finding out about stuff. Trump hasn't said a thing about Venezuela nationalizing the GM plant probably because they put it on page two where he wouldn't get around to it. They can all pretend they did their due diligence by having it on record, but never got around to it because Trump started whining ten minutes in that this was hard and he wanted his phone.

McMaster and Mattis seem smart and competent enough to figure this out and work around Trump, behind his back, though it does scare me in the long run if/when the military starts operating as its own organization separate from the government.

This all falls apart when Trump sees that on Fox News or Morning Joe.

• Options
    Desktop HippieDesktop Hippie Registered User regular
    By the way when we're unpacking all the reasons for the White House extending an invitation to the batshit crazy President of the Philippines let's not forget that Trump's newest tower is located in Manila.

• Options
    TubularLuggageTubularLuggage Registered User regular
    I feel like we need a new variant of Murphy's Law when it comes to Trump, which states that, when trying to understand why he's doing something, the answer involving corruption/grifting is probably the correct one.

• Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    If/when there is an answer. I'd say it's at best 50-50 that there's even a method to his madness

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    There's no reason to think it can't be a combination of international hotelery shenanigans, an opportunity to dominate the news with his antics and an expression of his acute man-crushing on murderous despots.

None of these things are mutually exclusive.

We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    Martini_PhilosopherMartini_Philosopher Registered User regular
    What can we say about this that's not already been said?

OMFG --> Trump was planning to time his announcement about withdrawing from #NAFTA to ruin the #WHCD on Saturday.

And from the NY Times article accompanying the tweet.
    White House officials had hoped to further vex the journalists by having Mr. Trump announce news in Harrisburg, which would spoil their evening, forcing them to set down their forks and knives and go to work.

But a plan for the president to announce in Harrisburg that the United States was pulling out of the North American Free Trade Agreement fell through when Mr. Trump decided, after urgent phone calls on Wednesday from the leaders of Canada and Mexico, not to do it — at least for now.

Trump acts like a spoiled, bratty child amongst other things. He sees others as personal enemies when they're anything but and is willing to wreck a nation in order to score revenge points out of some sort of odd, impersonal spite. We've covered that those points before, but whereas we seemed to be talking in theoretical terms this is very much the practice of it. Had it not been for Mexico and Canada's intervention, we'd be looking at an instant economic depression. Possibly a world wide one at that since pulling out of NAFTA would have tanked more than one economy. Has the GOP leaders just abandoned Trump to his own people? Have they decided he just can't be worked with to the point of letting him off any sort of leash in order to maintain their power?

Is this really happening? This is insane.

All opinions are my own and in no way reflect that of my employer.
  • Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    This isn't hyperbole: Trump is a total idiot with the mental and emotional capacity of a spoiled 5 year old.

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    Have we talked about how Trump said he'd be honored to meet the dictator of North Korea yet?
    “If it would be appropriate for me to meet with him, I would absolutely, I would be honored to do it,” Trump said Monday in an interview with Bloomberg News. “If it’s under the, again, under the right circumstances. But I would do that.”

I can appreciate dropping the belligerance, but that's a serious over-correct.

We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    OptimusZed wrote: »
    Have we talked about how Trump said he'd be honored to meet the dictator of North Korea yet?
    “If it would be appropriate for me to meet with him, I would absolutely, I would be honored to do it,” Trump said Monday in an interview with Bloomberg News. “If it’s under the, again, under the right circumstances. But I would do that.”

I can appreciate dropping the belligerance, but that's a serious over-correct.

Remember when Obama got shit for bowing? Yeah neither does anyone else.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    VishNubVishNub Registered User regular
    edited May 2017
    What a moron.

I'm imaging some sort of competition with Obama. "He killed the perpetrator of the worst terror attack in recent memory AND attended the WHCD? Well I'm going to crash the economy and NOT attend! That'll show em. Sad!"

VishNub on
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    This isn't hyperbole: Trump is a total idiot with the mental and emotional capacity of a spoiled 5 year old.

he might actually have some form of untreated mental illness

he seems legitimately unhinged and totally unfazed by reality

• Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    Take Trump at his word. He may be a pathological liar, but take the things he says he will do literally, not figuratively.
    Aside: (Actually I don't think he has the capacity for metaphor).

• Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    edited May 2017
    I'd like to think there'd be enough push back from inside against Duterte to keep him from visiting the White House if only because of the massive protests it was cause and how it might send his approval ratings back down below 40%

Viskod on
  • Options
    VishNubVishNub Registered User regular
    No one knows who Duterte is.

• Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    If he gets an official invitation to the White House, a lot of people are going to.

• Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    edited May 2017
    Who knew not inviting murderers was that hard?

autono-wally, erotibot300 on
    kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited May 2017
    https://www.bloomberg.com/politics/articles/2017-05-01/trump-defends-invite-to-philippines-duterte-amid-drug-war-toll
    “He’s been very, very tough on that drug problem, but he has a massive drug problem,” Trump said in the interview.
    In the interview Monday, Trump emphasized public support for Duterte despite the condemnations over the drug conflict.

“You know he’s very popular in the Philippines,” Trump said. “He has a very high approval rating in the Philippines.”
    Jesus fucking Christ.

He is murdering drug users.

Couscous on
  • Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    Couscous wrote: »
    https://www.bloomberg.com/politics/articles/2017-05-01/trump-defends-invite-to-philippines-duterte-amid-drug-war-toll
    “He’s been very, very tough on that drug problem, but he has a massive drug problem,” Trump said in the interview.
    In the interview Monday, Trump emphasized public support for Duterte despite the condemnations over the drug conflict.

“You know he’s very popular in the Philippines,” Trump said. “He has a very high approval rating in the Philippines.”
    Jesus fucking Christ.

He is murdering ethnic minorities, protesters, and political rivals under the guise of fighting drugs.

FTFY. I mean, sure he's probably killed a lot of drug users, too, but it's 50/50 if they were killed for that or for being one of the other things.

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    The funny thing about all of Trump's talk on NAFTA is that his people are working to undermine him.
    http://www.businessinsider.com/corporate-america-saved-nafta-2017-5
    One senior Toronto bank executive said Gary Cohn and Steven Mnuchin —former Goldman Sachs Group Inc. executives now serving as chairman of the White House National Economic Council and as Treasury Secretary, respectively—have on a few occasions reached out to senior Canadian business officials in recent weeks to counsel them that despite the internal Trump administration divides over trade policies, they expect no significant Nafta changes.

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    The funny thing about all of Trump's talk on NAFTA is that his people are working to undermine him.
    One senior Toronto bank executive said Gary Cohn and Steven Mnuchin —former Goldman Sachs Group Inc. executives now serving as chairman of the White House National Economic Council and as Treasury Secretary, respectively—have on a few occasions reached out to senior Canadian business officials in recent weeks to counsel them that despite the internal Trump administration divides over trade policies, they expect no significant Nafta changes.

The spice must flow.

• Options
    hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular

It seems pretty obvious that most, if not all, of Trump's administration is desperately trying to keep him from announcing publicly that he'll cancel NAFTA, because once he does that, the cat's out of the bag.

• Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular

It seems pretty obvious that most, if not all, of Trump's administration is desperately trying to keep him from announcing publicly that he'll cancel NAFTA, because once he does that, the cat's out of the bag.

I would wager most of the government that Trump hasn't actually destroyed are spending a lot of undeclared overtime trying to contain Trump's insanity

it's like a body trying to fight an infection

• Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Someone should tell Trump.

Which means someone should tell Fox and Friends.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular
    shryke wrote: »

The spice must flow.

Fortune passes everywhere.

• Options
    HamHamJHamHamJ Registered User regular

Jesus fucking Christ.

He is murdering ethnic minorities, protesters, and political rivals under the guise of fighting drugs.

FTFY. I mean, sure he's probably killed a lot of drug users, too, but it's 50/50 if they were killed for that or for being one of the other things.

Citation needed?

While racing light mechs, your Urbanmech comes in second place, but only because it ran out of ammo.
  • Options
    cursedkingcursedking Registered User regular
    HamHamJ wrote: »

Jesus fucking Christ.

Citation needed?

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2017/04/24/world/asia/rodrigo-duterte-philippines-icc-complaint.html

Types: Boom + Robo | Food: Sweet | Habitat: Plains
  • Options
    SamSam Registered User regular
    edited May 2017
    so he invited Duterte to a sleepover.

the normalization of bigotry and extrajudicial state sanctioned force is heartbreaking, and that's the first time I've used that word about something Trump has done, which isn't to say it's the worst thing he's done, but the thing that makes me worry most about the long term viablitity of civil society and human rights. he is most likely already on board with Narendra Modi's Hindu supremacist dogwhistling in India as well, and I wouldn't be surprised to see them get all synergistic with each other.

I worry about the prospects for open societies in the third world. if a country hasn't already developed to first world status, it's very unclear whether they can develop strong democratic institutions or even keep what they have.

and the electorate willingly votes it away.

Brexit is horrible, Trump is a daily existential crisis, but for people being shot on the street in the philippines and lynched by roving mobs in India, with no end to the atrocities or political climate that enables them, it's a whole new level.

Sam on
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    Who knew not inviting murderers was that hard?

unfortunately sometimes there isn't a choice. Every People's Republic of China head of state has blood on their hands, even if not in such a crude and shameless way as Duterte. Black jails, undocumented abductions, organ harvesting from executed felons, a justice system that prosecutes activists and political prisoners and regular civillians who pissed off the wrong cadre alongside actual criminals, and the memory of a student massacre in 1989 that it still does not allow its citizens to discuss.

But they can't afford not to meet Xi Jinping.

Narendra Modi was barred entry to the US and UK because of the fallout surrounding his more-mass-murdery-than-not rhetoric and alleged conduct during a 2002 pogrom against Muslims in the region he then governed.

Once he was elected prime minister of the second most populous country in the world that happened to be one of the biggest forecasted growth markets, the ban got swept under the carpet in a hurry and the ModiBama bromance, like Hiddleswift, was born.

Sam on
  • Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    i think the issue becomes rhetoric and not action. Like yeah you could argue that most nations leaders have blood on their hands, but a line is crossed when they boldly and plainly boast about it in the most crude fashion possible. It normalises in a much more direct way. Whether its more damaging or not im not sure, but I feel like its two separate issues.

• Options
    edited May 2017
    Prohass wrote: »
    i think the issue becomes rhetoric and not action. Like yeah you could argue that most nations leaders have blood on their hands, but a line is crossed when they boldly and plainly boast about it in the most crude fashion possible. It normalises in a much more direct way. Whether its more damaging or not im not sure, but I feel like its two separate issues.

Sure, but these other people, the specific examples, the heads of state from India and China aren't all that bashful about it either.
    In 2005, when Narendra Modi was the chief minister of the wealthy Indian state of Gujarat, local police murdered a criminal called Sheikh Sohrabuddin in cold blood. At an election rally in 2007 for the ruling Hindu nationalist BJP, Modi assured his citizens that Sohrabuddin “got what he deserved”. What should be done, he asked, to a man found possessing illegal arms? The pumped-up crowd shouted back: “Mari nakho-mari nakho!” (Kill him, kill him!)

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/nov/09/narendra-modi-the-divisive-manipulator-who-charmed-the-world

http://freebeacon.com/national-security/joe-biden-to-authoritarian-chinese-president-u-s-only-supports-human-rights-as-political-imperative/

I wouldn't argue that most national leaders have blood on their hands, and I would differentiate between leaders that murder domestically and leaders whose foreign policy decisions cause foreign casualties. The domestic murders are unjustifiable.

To compare China with Russia, China's government has been a lot more legitimized than Putin's, while both murder and torture dissidents at a similar rate- if anything, China likely does it more given the scale of their government. But one is openly called a killer even in the No Spin Zone (RIP) while the other is Trump and Obama's buddy.

My point is that it's sad, but also that once someone becomes geopolitically or economically valuable, as Duterte presumably has, they get a pass. And that's not something that has changed between last year and now.

But I do agree that the optics of it, (what is that, the new buzzword around here?) given Duterte's savage rhetoric, look worse.

Sam on
  • Options

Jesus fucking Christ.

It's worse than you think - if this is true it's James Bond villain type shit.

http://time.com/4618726/rodrigo-duterte-helicopter-crime-murder/
    In a speech at Camarines Sur in the northern Philippines on Tuesday, Duterte reportedly recounted throwing an alleged kidnapper to his death — furnishing details about how high the pilot had to fly — while he was mayor of Davao City, according to local newspaper the Philippine Star.
    “If you are corrupt, I will fetch you with a helicopter and I will throw you out on the way to Manila,” the newspaper quoted him as saying in Tagalog during the speech. “I have done that before, why should I not do it again?”

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-12-15/rodrigo-duterte-says-he-personally-killed-people-when-mayor/8122768
    "I go around in Davao with a motorcycle, with a big bike around and I would just patrol the streets and looking [sic] for trouble also.

"I was really looking for an encounter to be able to kill."

Mr Duterte has repeatedly said drug suspects were only killed under his anti-drug crackdown as mayor, and now as President, when they fought back and threatened law enforcers.

• Options
    China is demanding an immediate halt to THAAD missile deployment in South Korea.

I guess that cake wasn't that delicious after all.

• Options
    China is demanding an immediate halt to THAAD missile deployment in South Korea.

I guess that cake wasn't that delicious after all.

The odds of Trump discovering THAAD have done up this week.

• Options
    He'd discovered THAAD already though, hadn't he? He demanded that South Korea pay $1 billion for it last week.

• Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    He'd discovered THAAD already though, hadn't he? He demanded that South Korea pay $1 billion for it last week.
    I assume that was his natural response to learning that hethe US was paying for anything. Hell no, other people can pay for it, whatever it is.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
This discussion has been closed.