Options

[John Wick] is back and his thread contains unmarked spoilers

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Let me tell you about the morphing grid

• Options
    AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
    Snowbear wrote: »
    I was almost conviced that there had to be some magical glamour or something surrounding the world of assassins.
    Chapter 2
    John leaves two bodies on the train platform just as a train pulls in. I was expecting the doors to open and hearing someone scream and John running through the panicked crowd. Instead there is no reaction whatsoever. Even as John and Cassian are stabbing each other on the train the folks in the background barely react, some glance over. But it isn't until the train stops again that they even get up and leave the train car.
    Literally 99% of NYC are secret assassins so

• Options
    Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular
    i just like to think the people in new york are just so interminably bored with watching flashy murders at this point

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    i just like to think the people in new york are just so interminably bored with watching flashy murders at this point
    If NYC is the Assassin Capital of the Western Hemisphere I actually totally buy this

John Wick's world is a world full of murders everywhere and as long as you keep your head down and don't piss off the guy with the beard you will probably be okay

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Oh look another subway showdown, god I hope no one bleeds on me.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    Oh look another subway showdown, god I hope no one bleeds on me.

Local dry cleaners have regular specials for removing blood stains, don't even have to pay with a gold coin.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Don't know if we'll get that 3rd movie, JW2 came in 3rd behind batman and Fifty shades. Which is just damn it America.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    It more than doubled what JW1 made in its debut weekend and has already grossed 70% of what JW1 made domestic

3 isn't in doubt

Sweeney Tom on
  • Options
    DeadfallDeadfall I don't think you realize just how rich he is. In fact, I should put on a monocle.Registered User regular
    I will purchase a hundred blu rays if need be.

7ivi73p71dgy.png
    xbl - HowYouGetAnts
    steam - WeAreAllGeth
  • Options
    AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
    John Wick was never gonna beat Lego Batman in box office and the studio knows it

Fifty Shades is likely not going to have staying power

• Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    Don't know if we'll get that 3rd movie, JW2 came in 3rd behind batman and Fifty shades. Which is just damn it America.

It doubled up on the previous movie and was projected at 20 mil.

The studios are happy.

• Options
    JW1 was also a shockingly huge hit on home video, the third largest for Lionsgate behind the Hunger Games and Divergent series.

I imagine JW2 will be a similar story

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    That stuntman story is terrible, but hilarious at the same time. I've seen enough of behind the scene features to get the impression asking them to throw themselves down flights of stairs is more of an afternoon challenge than anything dangerous.

Also, it's nowhere near the danger of most HK productions. Jackie Chan survived stunts that would and could kill with ease.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ErQGXlQV6vg

He did that shit THREE TIMES.

• Options
    The JudgeThe Judge The Terwilliger CurvesRegistered User regular
    I must ask . . .
    Are you here for the Pope?

Last pint: Turmoil CDA / Barley Brown's - Untappd: TheJudge_PDX
  • Options
    MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    I saw both this and Lego Batman this weekend.

Anyone that knows me knows I was huge sucker for the Lego Movie. John Wick 2 was absolutely the better movie I saw. While it was definitely more sprawling and jumpy with it's pacing than JW1, the world it builds and the characters that inhabit it are just so damn fascinating. I can only hope when I pick Shadowrun back up here in a month or so
    I can gin up NPCs half as flavorful as the Tailor, Accounts Payable, and the Sommelier (Oh my god Serafinowicz was amazing in that role)

Shout outs also to Common as Cassian (You know he'll be teaming up with John Wick in 3) and Laurence Fishburne as the Hobo King (They call him Bowery King in the credits, but I called it as the Hobo King when John hid with Earl so that's his name now)

Matev on
    "Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
  • Options
    I loved every second of the scene with the Sommelier

It was perfect

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    The Judge wrote: »
    I must ask . . .
    Are you here for the Pope?

You could tell...
    He was rather not thrilled at asking that question, because if John said yes, I think he would have refused the use of that Hotel, and he wasn't sure how John would react.

manwiththemachinegun on
  • Options
    KrieghundKrieghund Registered User regular
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    I loved every second of the scene with the Sommelier

It was perfect

Only kind of Sommelier that actually has a reason to exist, lol.

• Options
    PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    Krieghund wrote: »
    Anybody get a good look at Wicks tattoo on his back? I can't tell what it says.

It says I LOVE PUPPIES in Latin

When John Wick and his wife were still dating, they had sex for the first time and afterwards she found his tattoo. She asked him about it and he told her it says "I LOVE PUPPIES" and they had a good laugh about it that day.

• Options
    EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular
    I've definitely been recommending this to everyone I can

Everyone seems pleasantly surprised when I tell them it's incredible

• Options
    GustavGustav Friend of Goats Somewhere in the OzarksRegistered User regular
    So people in nice suits beating the piss out of each other is rapidly becoming my favorite subgenre.

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    Just got back. I liked it.

I think I like the first one more though. This one still had the magic, but not as much. Maybe the hook leading into the third will result in a different kind of story and that'll be the changeup it needs to reach those heights again.

• Options
    RT800RT800 Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    Well the first movie has the advantage of being the first. There was no hype prior to its release.

I like to give sequels a little extra slack since they're burdened with having to "live up" to the original. People come in with expectations, rather than being pleasantly surprised.

RT800 on
  • Options
    masterofmetroidmasterofmetroid Have you ever looked at a world and seen it as a kind of challenge?Registered User regular
    The first movie has a purity to it that really wasn't possible to recreate

That's fine, and the direction they went with is still great

• Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    For a sequel to a movie that wasn't intended to have a sequel to it it does a great job.

• Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    I'm kind of surprised at the near-universal acclaim. I was disappointed by this almost completely.

Spoilered because wow I really didn't like this movie. You don't need to read/respond if you don't want to.
    The story dove deeper into the inner workings of the assassin world, which I was specifically hoping they would avoid. It's like explaining the Force. The mystery behind it adds some spice, but it should be used sparingly.

Beyond that, everyone spoke like they were trying to say the coolest, most epic stuff ever, and in as many words as possible. Lawrence Fishburne's character was really bad about this. This lead to there being one tone for the entire film, which was exhausting.

Nearly everything was trying to be cool for the sake of cool, and it just came across as contrived and self-absorbed. Ruby Rose's character, the Sommelier, and Accounts Payable are good examples. They seem interesting at first, but don't gold up to the slightest bit of scrutiny. Why choose a person who can't speak as your lead bodyguard? What if she wanted her soldiers to do something else and didn't have line of sight to them? She can't get their attention. Oh that's cute, the Sommelier is actually an arms dealer, and he talks about guns as though they're wine. Except it's never clever or funny, just drawn out. And Accounts Payable is all rockabilly gals because...? Because it looks cool at first glance, that's all.

Some of the action was fun, but mostly it was just Keanu walking towards the screen, shooting men at point blank because they can't fire a gun, apparently. The shotgun bit was good.

It was an unnecessary mess of a movie, but of course it's doing well. The first one was good. Just like Taken 2, which was also a sequel to a movie that wasn't supposed to have one, and was just plain bad.

• Options
    BPKickBPKick Registered User regular
    I am so dang disappointed that Australia doesn't even have a realease date for this yet. Why must I wait so long for my John Wick fix?

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Renzo wrote: »
    I'm kind of surprised at the near-universal acclaim. I was disappointed by this almost completely.

Spoilered because wow I really didn't like this movie. You don't need to read/respond if you don't want to.
    The story dove deeper into the inner workings of the assassin world, which I was specifically hoping they would avoid. It's like explaining the Force. The mystery behind it adds some spice, but it should be used sparingly.

Beyond that, everyone spoke like they were trying to say the coolest, most epic stuff ever, and in as many words as possible. Lawrence Fishburne's character was really bad about this. This lead to there being one tone for the entire film, which was exhausting.

Nearly everything was trying to be cool for the sake of cool, and it just came across as contrived and self-absorbed. Ruby Rose's character, the Sommelier, and Accounts Payable are good examples. They seem interesting at first, but don't gold up to the slightest bit of scrutiny. Why choose a person who can't speak as your lead bodyguard? What if she wanted her soldiers to do something else and didn't have line of sight to them? She can't get their attention. Oh that's cute, the Sommelier is actually an arms dealer, and he talks about guns as though they're wine. Except it's never clever or funny, just drawn out. And Accounts Payable is all rockabilly gals because...? Because it looks cool at first glance, that's all.

Some of the action was fun, but mostly it was just Keanu walking towards the screen, shooting men at point blank because they can't fire a gun, apparently. The shotgun bit was good.

It was an unnecessary mess of a movie, but of course it's doing well. The first one was good. Just like Taken 2, which was also a sequel to a movie that wasn't supposed to have one, and was just plain bad.

Don't worry, you're just a bit ahead of the curve.
    If past nerd movies are any indication the early acclaim is coming from people like me who'd love it regardless of quality because we're easily entertained and well versed in overlooking flaws.
    The hate will rear it's head in a week or two as people who aren't in the first wave go see it and start dropping reviews pointing out those small flaws that I overlooked and subjecting them to a microscope.

• Options
    I wouldn't call this a nerd movie at all

• Options
    edited February 2017
    Also the acclaim is coming from like, professional critics who don't feel any obligation to overlook flaws

Edit: not to say that makes liking this movie the "correct" opinion, just that it's not all fanboys

Grey Ghost on
  • Options
    masterofmetroidmasterofmetroid Have you ever looked at a world and seen it as a kind of challenge?Registered User regular
    I usually find the backlash critique to be ten times as hackneyed and tortured as the stuff that is largely positive but still mentions some flaws

Swear to god if i read one more review that can't shut up about Marvel's "House Style" i'm going to put my brain through a wall

Negativity is fine but at least be original with it

• Options
    The real nerds are the ones nitpicking movies to death and complaining about "plot" "holes", i m h o

• Options
    i mean i loved this movie even though i recognized and pointed out a ton of flaws in it myself. it's not like, the best movie ever to me.

it's just a really fucking good action movie in the middle of, at least in my opinion, a very noticeable drought of them

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    I found the action to be stunning and the cinematography just as beautiful as the first. I also found it really flabby and think someone needed to take attack it vigorously with a pair of scissors. The central plot doesn't hang together as well or have the emotional resonance of the first, and the villain was nowhere near as compelling.

It's not Matrix Reloaded bad but it does add a lot of needless complication to the mythology and shreds the verisimilitude of the setting. There's a lot of cool stuff in there, and a lot of stuff that's trying too hard to be cool. I'm glad everyone loved it, for me it was a real display of the importance of "kill your darlings".

tldr I liked it a lot but thought the first one was better by quite a considerable margin

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    This is also the first time I've ever watched a film and had the cinema that I was sitting on appear on screen within the first two minutes. That's an experience.

• Options
    I usually find the backlash critique to be ten times as hackneyed and tortured as the stuff that is largely positive but still mentions some flaws

Swear to god if i read one more review that can't shut up about Marvel's "House Style" i'm going to put my brain through a wall

see this i don't get

a recurring problem is still a problem. especially if it's noticeably hampering someone's enjoyment.

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options

see this i don't get

a recurring problem is still a problem. especially if it's noticeably hampering someone's enjoyment.
    When the recurring problem is "They keep making the same movie" i have a lot less patience for it, particularly when i find something interesting to pull out of every Marvel film so far

"Oh the hero has funny jokes again, how predictable" is not a critique, it's an excuse to be dismissive

• Options

see this i don't get

When the recurring problem is "They keep making the same movie" i have a lot less patience for it, particularly when i find something interesting to pull out of every Marvel film so far

"Oh the hero has funny jokes again, how predictable" is not a critique, it's an excuse to be dismissive

so your problem is...they don't agree with you?

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    Speaking of being dismissive

• Options
    i'm not though

like, okay, the complaint is the house style produces movies that are all very similar

your stance is no, they aren't and you get something different from each movie

and that, as you said, have no patience for people saying otherwise.

i'm just parsing your words, dude

6vjsgrerts6r.png