As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[FFRK] Orbfest and Fest banner 2 live! Purple Monkey Dishwasher.

• Options
    ArcTangentArcTangent Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Excuse, clarify.

7 regular battles, then only 3 bonus battles; +++, U, and U+.

The multiplayer Behemoth is easy difficulties only, which is good, because it goes into a "Meteor Counterattack" stance which would be a huge pain. He's the U battle too, and apparently a gigantic asshole of a fight, not to be taken lightly. He counters A TON, and his second turn, he enters the Meteor stance, where he stays for two turns and will counter 50% of the time with a Meteor nuke (increasing by 25% every 30% HP). So mitigation has to be up FAST, be SB flavored, or you're eating three turns before you can safely Pow/Mag break him (no mag attacks besides counter Meteor though). And he has a 30% chance to go right back into it whenever he feels like it, again, increasing as he loses HP. He'll also counter you just for shits and giggles in his normal stance, but it's tauntable. Uncounterable things like summons or Retaliate/Reflect bouncing seems highly recommended.

Oh, and he also has pseudo-gravity attack at 70% and 40% HP that sets the party's HP to match his own in percentage, so at best, to 70% and 40%.

The U+ is the even more rare spellcasting Odin, who spams Holy in between his Zantetsukens when weak, which needs to be Mnd broken to reduce the damage. Or Runic'd, if you want to be a cool dude. Weak to thunder though, so supposedly vastly easier than the Behemoth.

ArcTangent on
    ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    I'm sitting at 19 Black Crystals right now. It's driving me insane.

• Options
    chrisnlchrisnl Registered User regular
    I have 23 Black Crystals, and I actually still haven't done the battle to unlock Meltdown. There are 2 as a Mastery Reward for that fight, so that would put me at 25. I suppose I could try farming for the crystals from the FFVI Ultimate, but I have people that need to level, summon orbs to acquire, hopefully tonight I'll have soul breaks to learn and eventually I have to do the Nemesis and realm record missions.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    As long as I'm mentioning super bitchy bosses, the Rose of May ones this week seem like they could be bitchy.
    Apoc Multiplayer is Kuja. What fun.

U is whatever. 'Masked Man.' Supposedly very easy.

U+ is a Mistodon gauntlet. First one, then two, then one, then two. Spam Headbutts that silence. Tauntable at least, which apparently takes off a huge amount of their threat factor. And weak to fire too, so Vivi and Steiner (or MM Kuja with Vivi's BSB) tears them a new one.

U++ is Tiamat with no restrictions on her opening attacks, so is happy to nuke you before you have a chance to move. Bad ATB? S/L!

ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    IlpalaIlpala Just this guy, y'know TexasRegistered User regular
    I haven't made any 6* abilities, but I've skipped a lot of +++ fights and haven't cleared all the Nightmare stuff so probably missing a bunch of crystals. I'll need to get on that with all these shiny new SB toys after orbfest

FF XIV - Qih'to Furishu (on Siren), Battle.Net - Ilpala#1975
    Switch - SW-7373-3669-3011
    Fuck Joe Manchin
  • Options
    chrisnl wrote: »
    I have 23 Black Crystals, and I actually still haven't done the battle to unlock Meltdown. There are 2 as a Mastery Reward for that fight, so that would put me at 25. I suppose I could try farming for the crystals from the FFVI Ultimate, but I have people that need to level, summon orbs to acquire, hopefully tonight I'll have soul breaks to learn and eventually I have to do the Nemesis and realm record missions.

Remember that the Record Mission and Nemesis stuff goes until the 9th. Orbfest ends on the 31st, disregarding the materials phase which limps on for another few days. You've got an entire week and then some to get to all that stuff.

ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    I've made a grand total of 2 6* abilities, Snowspell Strike and Affliction Break. I keep thinking I really ought to make Meltdown or Vali. Especially with Alphi's burst and ether command. But eh, I haven't felt a real pressing need to.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    Knight_ wrote: »
    I'm at 37 Black Crystals; I don't think I've missed any rewards or gotten any random drops.

If you're at 37 you're a wizard, because that is enough for Meltdown R2 with 7 left over for fuckin' around with. I don't think that is accurate given how hard people have been farming crystals for r2 meltdown.

Oh, err, 27. Fat fingers.

• Options
    SavantSavant Simply Barbaric Registered User regular
    Faris's USB debut for me was rather inauspicious. I used it right after the Fiend FFVI +++ boss used his blink, so I got an extravagant piratey animation go into miss, miss, miss...oops.

I actually have quite a few 6* abilities, though some I haven't used much, like mug bloodlust. Cureda or whatever it is called carried me through a FFII cid mission I had no business winning when paired with runic, before I had much synergy there.

• Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    Does anyone know how monster piercing attacks work?

How would you parse 350% damage, ATK^0.5? The PDF doesn't have much on it.

• Options
    edited March 2017
    Take the square root of the boss's ATK and multiply by 3.5 and that is how much damage the attack does.

-edit- This may not be right, let me check some stuff.

chrisnl on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Does anyone know how monster piercing attacks work?

How would you parse 350% damage, ATK^0.5? The PDF doesn't have much on it.

Normal monster nonpiercing physical attacks use the following formula with monster attack ATK, particular ability multiplier M, and player defense DEF with the [bracketed] portion stopping growing at the monster soft ATK cap of 346:
    M * [ATK^1.3] * ATK^0.7 / DEF^0.84

There are variations on the defence piercing attacks, but usually they are simpler. I think the one you list is just the ability multiplier of 3.5 times the square root of the monster's attack. Some of this stuff has a small random component to it also, which is just an extra multiplier close to 1.

• Options
    edited March 2017
    OK so this is how Enlir explained it to me. Normally monster attack is squared in the damage calculation, but when it says uses ATK^0.5 that is used instead of ATK in the formula, so it ends up (ATK^0.5)^2 which ends up being just ATK^1.0. So in the particular case in question it would be ATK * Potency = ATK * 3.5 for your damage, so a boss with theoretical 1000 ATK would hit for 3500.

-edit- For MAG it generally ends up being Potency * MAG^0.925 which is a bit weaker than the ATK formula, where 1000 MAG ends up being ~596 multiplied by the potency (though MAG values are often higher). Also this is for monsters vs players only.

chrisnl on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TakelTakel Registered User regular
    Welp, I decided that since the XI banner is likely to be the standard one and not a magical make up banner that'll have the previous stuff we didn't have before, I decided to put one pull into VI banner 1 to see if I get lucky.

c8sDw1Q.png

I got lucky.

Steam | PSN: MystLansfeld | 3DS: 4656-6210-1377 | FFXIV: Lavinia Lansfeld
  • Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    Ya'll need to stop pulling deathstrike darts since Setzer doesn't even fit in my team or do what I want him to do but I still want that damned thing for some reason.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    OK so this is how Enlir explained it to me. Normally monster attack is squared in the damage calculation, but when it says uses ATK^0.5 that is used instead of ATK in the formula, so it ends up (ATK^0.5)^2 which ends up being just ATK^1.0. So in the particular case in question it would be ATK * Potency = ATK * 3.5 for your damage, so a boss with theoretical 1000 ATK would hit for 3500.

Ugh, that is pretty stupid notation then if you ask me, adding a phantom square that isn't mentioned. And regular monster attack damage is really squared much anyways, since most of anything that puts up any sort of challenge will be well above the monster attack soft cap.

• Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    Knight_ wrote: »
    Ya'll need to stop pulling deathstrike darts since Setzer doesn't even fit in my team or do what I want him to do but I still want that damned thing for some reason.

If it makes you feel better, I've pulled on it twice and gotten Death Tarrot, and Relms coat thingy.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Yeah. Stop pulling the darts. I have literally everything on that banner but the Darts and the wristband, and I already wasted 50 myth on a second pull that got me nothing new. Let me trick myself into thinking I want to try for Quina's burst instead.

• Options
    My multiplayer team is now going to be Vaan + Setzer
    Vaan with Lifesiphon + Steal Power
    Setzer with Full Break + Something else like Wrath/Mental or Mind Breakdown/Affliction Break

No matter what the group is like, they're getting quad breaks and they're going to like it.

• Options
    Takel wrote: »
    My multiplayer team is now going to be Vaan + Setzer
    Vaan with Lifesiphon + Steal Power
    Setzer with Full Break + Something else like Wrath/Mental or Mind Breakdown/Affliction Break

No matter what the group is like, they're getting quad breaks and they're going to like it.

Lifesiphon's kind of a waste on Vaan, especially in multiplayer. The short cast time on his abilities and anything with spammy AoE, ESPECIALLY multiplayer bosses, ensures that he'll have no trouble keeping it up. Also, Mug Bloodlust, bitch.

ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    Savant wrote: »

Ugh, that is pretty stupid notation then if you ask me, adding a phantom square that isn't mentioned. And regular monster attack damage is really squared much anyways, since most of anything that puts up any sort of challenge will be well above the monster attack soft cap.

Well it's basically taking the square root of the ATK value and putting it into the regular formula, with the player DEF set to 1. The resulting ATK value is always going to be below the monster attack soft cap (unless we get a monster with like 100k ATK I guess?) so it ends up being squared from the regular formula, which evens out to just using the ATK value for monster piercing, multiplied by the potency. It's not quite as neat with the MAG formula, so you end up with an effective exponent of 0.925 instead of 1.0, assuming the standard square root of the base stat put into the normal formula.

It's overly complicated, yes. Heck I don't understand why ATK and MAG even use different formulas, I think that's silly as well.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    I may as well put Thief's Revenge on Vaan in that case. Mug Bloodlust is Atk/Def and that's the same break as one of Setzer's commands
    Unless I want the minor stat boost on Vaan, I'm going to be better off with a high hone multi-hit offensive ability

Vaan never gets MM/DM unless it's multiplayer because I have far more pressing uses for them in my team comps. Even now Setzer isn't getting MM/DM. He's getting Wrath unless I'm RW'ing a Boostga/Hastega/30-30

I wonder if I can seriously attempt Infinite Nemesis by just breaking its shit to hell and back and physical brute force with Cloud's BSB2 with Mirror to counter the attack break?

Takel on
  • Options
    I don't even give Vaan MM/DM in multiplayer, almost always he gets +Damage with whatever weapon he is using. For the D200 at least.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    I like to give him Ace Striker and Lifesiphon. Ark Blast on turn 2.5, and little chance of not being able to reapply it before the burst ends.

• Options
    ElderlycrawfishElderlycrawfish Registered User regular
    Phase 3:

100 gem: zilcho

11 pull: Gilgamesh OSB, Relm BSB.

Woo! Last Stand Medica burst! Also something for Gilgamesh! Cid claws continue to elude, oh well.

• Options
    JeanJean Heartbroken papa bear Gatineau, QuébecRegistered User regular
    3/11 on banner 3. Golbez, Noel and Krile! :D
    ni68wbil29sh.gif

"You won't destroy us, You won't destroy our democracy. We are a small but proud nation. No one can bomb us to silence. No one can scare us from being Norway. This evening and tonight, we'll take care of each other. That's what we do best when attacked'' - Jens Stoltenberg
  • Options
    How is Noel's thing even a weapon? It looks like a poorly designed spaceship.

ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    Of course I go who the hell is noel/11.
    Sigh

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    Sheepsong and dupe Deathblow, but Sheepsong is pretty good and should help for V CMs

• Options
    100 gems: 4*! Threw it in the vault.

1st pull: Noel SSB (I mean I guess)
    Shura Gloves!!!
    Gilgamesh OSB!!!!!

My first disco ball! It's a fantastic stat stick, if nothing else. Also Shura Gloves are crazy good.

Now I'm wondering if I should dip again for one of the other three BSBs. Hmm.

2/14 for targets, 8/14 for whatever, 4/10 dupes.

Ugh. Hrmm. This may take some waffling.

• Options
    ArtereisArtereis Registered User regular
    2 pulls: Noel sword x3, Cid Claw, Bartz OSB. I had very little synergy for 5 and 13, so I'll actually take those relics, but the claw made my night. If I can get the Veil tomorrow I'll be in great shape.

• Options
    El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    Sooo, I feel like I have Beasteh-like luck with my 100 gems right now.

I'm now 5/5 on 100 gems.

Player's Choice banner: Ramza's Platinum Sword.
    FFVI-Banner 2: Celes BSB
    Fest 1: Edge's Red Jacket
    Fest 2: Tidus OSB
    Fest 3: Zeromus Shard (one of the three items I wanted)

Let's see what Banner 4 brings. I mean, the gravy train eventually has to come to a disgusting crashing halt at some point, right?

PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

• Options
    NarbusNarbus Registered User regular
    100 Gems: frrt
    50 Mythril: Noel and Laguna
    50 Mythril: Relm and Cid Raines

Suddenly I might have a mage team! 8-)

• Options
    38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    Ended up getting claw/11 on my second pull.
    I guess I should be happy about that but would it kill them to ever let me get more than one relic at a time? These would have been super anger inducing zero pulls I guess.

I suppose I should stop before I have infinity who the hell is noel doohickeys.

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Options
    edited March 2017
    Sooo, I feel like I have Beasteh-like luck with my 100 gems right now.

I'm now 5/5 on 100 gems.

Player's Choice banner: Ramza's Platinum Sword.
    FFVI-Banner 2: Celes BSB
    Fest 1: Edge's Red Jacket
    Fest 2: Tidus OSB
    Fest 3: Zeromus Shard (one of the three items I wanted)

Let's see what Banner 4 brings. I mean, the gravy train eventually has to come to a disgusting crashing halt at some point, right?

I'm a bit jelly right now, but it's better than being salty. :rotate:

silence1186 on
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    Woooooooooooooo!

Cid Raines BSB!

Team Dark is now complete!

When does Cid Raines get his MC3?

• Options
    JeanJean Heartbroken papa bear Gatineau, QuébecRegistered User regular
    38thDoe wrote: »
    Ended up getting claw/11 on my second pull.
    I guess I should be happy about that but would it kill them to ever let me get more than one relic at a time? These would have been super anger inducing zero pulls I guess.

I suppose I should stop before I have infinity who the hell is noel doohickeys.

Noel is Serah's partner in FFXIII-2, FYI. Battle wise, he's kind of like Tidus

"You won't destroy us, You won't destroy our democracy. We are a small but proud nation. No one can bomb us to silence. No one can scare us from being Norway. This evening and tonight, we'll take care of each other. That's what we do best when attacked'' - Jens Stoltenberg
  • Options
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    Woooooooooooooo!

Cid Raines BSB!

Team Dark is now complete!

When does Cid Raines get his MC3?

Tomorrow.

ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    Couldn't resist a second pull.

2/11: Laguna's gun (ffffffff trash item for a trash character)
    Zeromus Shard (very good BSB)

So no Relm BSB for me ever, which is sad times. This also makes Nemesis much harder.

200 Mythril and counting for Raines BSB to no avail. Next time, Gadget, next time!

No way further pulls make mathematical sense.

Aside! Greg's Spear: worth filling with Rosetta stones?

• Options

Aside! Greg's Spear: worth filling with Rosetta stones?

Not as readily portable as a sword, provides no elemental boosts. What's the argument for it?

ztrEPtD.gif
This discussion has been closed.