As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[WoW] Someone really needs to start a new thread

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Thanks, Activision!

• Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    3clipse wrote: »
    Thanks, Activision!

I don't even think it's Activision anymore... It's just... Blizzard...

You notice how everything has loot boxes now too? Even StarCraft 2....

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    With shitty business decisions I tend to assume Activision is the driving force.

• Options
    EnclaveofGnomesEnclaveofGnomes Registered User regular
    edited July 2017
    Warlock82 wrote: »
    Thanks, Activision!

It's even worse in SC2, don't you need to not only buy the box but then earn what's in it, in game?

I'll be honest I didn't really understand the war chest thing.

EnclaveofGnomes on
  • Options
    Thanks, Activision!

It's even worse in SC2, don't you need to not only buy the box but then earn what's in it, in game?

I'll be honest I didn't really understand the war chest thing.

That's what it seemed like to me. Honestly I don't understand the appeal of skins in a game where you're looking at tiny units like that. You can barely tell the difference

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    edited July 2017
    With shitty business decisions I tend to assume Activision is the driving force.

I'm about 90% sure that Blizzard bought themselves back from Activision, or merged with them vs. an outright buyout. It's possible I'm confusing Blizzard and Bungie though.

Mugsley on
  • Options
    PROXPROX Registered User regular
    edited July 2017

please delete this comment.

PROX on
  • Options
    PROXPROX Registered User regular
    edited July 2017
    please delete

PROX on
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    you can't make me

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited July 2017
    Thanks, Activision!

everything has loot boxes because game prices have been stuck at $60 for decades and gamers won't accept an increase but all the other costs of game dev keep going up so they find other ways to generate revenue

I'd happily start paying $90 like we should be for a AAA game instead of $60 if it meant no more of this extra nickle and diming.

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    The sound stuff is an entirely non-issue. They're just doing what everyone else in the industry does now, and will still be contracting the same people for the work. It just didn't make any sense to keep them all employed ALL THE TIME.

PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    Dhalphir wrote: »
    Thanks, Activision!

everything has loot boxes because game prices have been stuck at $60 for decades and gamers won't accept an increase but all the other costs of game dev keep going up so they find other ways to generate revenue

I'd happily start paying $90 for a AAA game instead of $60 if it meant no more of this extra nickle and diming.

I disagree. Right now they charge $60 for a game, and $30 in the form of various DLC. I think if tomorrow they bumped it to 90 for the base, they wouldn't release that DLC for free, they'd just stop supporting games post-release

• Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    Javen wrote: »
    Thanks, Activision!

I'd happily start paying $90 for a AAA game instead of $60 if it meant no more of this extra nickle and diming.

I disagree. Right now they charge $60 for a game, and $30 in the form of various DLC. I think if tomorrow they bumped it to 90 for the base, they wouldn't release that DLC for free, they'd just stop supporting games post-release

I absolutely prefer the DLC model, but not the loot box concept.

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    I'd happily start paying $90 like we should be for a AAA game instead of $60 if it meant no more of this extra nickle and diming.

Ask Australia how that worked out for them

• Options
    Donnicton wrote: »

This is funny because Dhal's Australian.

• Options
    Donnicton wrote: »

$90 AUD has been roughly $60 USD for pretty much ever.

• Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    Hah, "like we should", as if most games these days have even $60 worth of content.

• Options
    Actually I feel like most of the AAA/$60 games I've played in the last two years have been. Playtimes are increasing after dropping to the 8-10 region in 2009/10.

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    I have not played StarCraft since mid Pandaria and that was for a few minutes
    It's very different now I have no idea what the UI is or what it's doing I thought Thor could fly the last time I played?

• Options
    Yeah games are extremely good value these days I have no idea where this "lol devs are rorting us" meme comes from

• Options
    Javen wrote: »
    Thanks, Activision!

I absolutely prefer the DLC model, but not the loot box concept.

^ this. There is a certain amount of exploitation when it comes to charging money for something that is pure RNG, especially in terms of feeding into things like gambling addictions and whatnot. The more of their stuff that starts to turn to this model, the more uneasy I feel about it. I'd gladly pay more for cool things. When I'm asked to pay more for the CHANCE at cool things... bleh....

• Options
    Yeah games are extremely good value these days I have no idea where this "lol devs are rorting us" meme comes from

That's pretty subjective. I'd argue the assassin creed series, that batman game that released a mess, star wars battlefront, that aliens marines game...the list goes on.

There's plenty of terrible games. And it's not really up to the individual to offset costs of development, which in large part are marketing these days.

• Options
    And it's not really up to the individual to offset costs of development, which in large part are marketing these days.

This is not me being altruistic and saying "we have to support the poor struggling devs"

my point is that games are only getting more expensive, and a $60 game provides less relative revenue now than it did twenty years ago.

• Options
    And consumer spending power hasn't increased either. Pay rates are stagnating. Cost of living is increasing.

There's also the argument that games don't need to be as expensive to make as they are. More golden pixels shoveled into a product doesn't make it better, more marketing after a certain amount is wasted money.

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    economics are a very complicated subject and we are all grossly unqualified to have an opinion on it tbqh!

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    NosfNosf Registered User regular
    All of this varies by game and by platform. Last Batman on console? You're doing alright. On PC? You got fucked. You might still be fucked depending on your PC. Skyrim on 360? You did ok. Skyrim on PC and you know how to access and install mods? You might have over a thousand hours into 60 dollars of game. I show 765 hours into Skyrim - the original one, not the new SE which I got 'free' on PC which I will likely mod again and play through some more.

Anyways, I've paid probably more into WoW than any other game, but the amount of time and enjoyment I get out of it is eclipsed only by a very, very few games like Skyrim.

• Options
    So I got my Priest to 110 but there is no class quest so I guess since I power leveled him from 103 doing pet battles and invasions I skipped something I should have not

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Brainleech wrote: »
    So I got my Priest to 110 but there is no class quest so I guess since I power leveled him from 103 doing pet battles and invasions I skipped something I should have not

You probably just need to do some zone quest finishes to get the object of power or whatever they were called.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular
    Also there may be a orange exclamation mark quest you ignored. Never ignore orange ones.

Also check your quest log under both "priest" and "legendary".

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    You should have a breadcrumb quest, or you abandoned the chain at some point and will have to go find it.

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    You can find the quest chain on Wowhead then use the quest completion script to check where you're up to.

/script print(IsQuestFlaggedCompleted(XXXXX))

replace XXXXX with the quest ID, which you can get from the Wowhead link for the given quest.

• Options

Check your quest log too. You may have picked up one and forgotten. I know my priest still needs to run Eye of Azshara and I can't get any other class quests until I do (which I kind of dislike... Some of this stuff really doesn't need to be so linear)

• Options
    NosfNosf Registered User regular
    Smrtnik wrote: »
    Also there may be a orange exclamation mark quest you ignored. Never ignore orange ones.

Also check your quest log under both "priest" and "legendary".

Order Hall is a common heading for those.

• Options
    ZythonZython Registered User regular
    What a rollercoaster. I FINALLY killed the final guy in the healer artifact challenge...only for my bomb to explode and kill everyone, kicking me out of the challenge.

But...

IT STILL COUNTS!

oaci5r1cl1c3.jpg

Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
  • Options

Check your quest log too. You may have picked up one and forgotten. I know my priest still needs to run Eye of Azshara and I can't get any other class quests until I do (which I kind of dislike... Some of this stuff really doesn't need to be so linear)

I did that hence why I ran back to pet battling before they let us upgrade the heirlooms
    All I know of is where the Night Elf runs off after you collect a bunch of stones for her

• Options
    I finally got the BM Hunter class challenge done only to discover that I was given wrong information and it doesn't turn Hati dark grey, that's from Balance of Power.

Time to start the grind I guess.

• Options
    SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular
    I need to level my Hunter just to see what this Hati thing is about.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    E.CoyoteE.Coyote Registered User regular
    edited July 2017
    The balance of power items from raids drop really fast now at least, only takes two runs at most. It might be possible to do it in one if you're lucky, was 18/20 for nighthold.

I started leveling my 90 druid the other day. The scaling of heirlooms is super dodgy at 100, kept getting one shot in the intro scenario. It fixes itself when you hit 101, but that first level is miserable.

E.Coyote on
  • Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    edited July 2017
    Yeah they're REALLY bad about heirlooms scaling to previous expansions on the multiples of 10. I feel like they should at LEAST be as good as the gear you get when you straight up buy a level 100 character

Javen on
  • Options
    Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    That is because they don't change the old scaling, they just add new levels to them.

When they were upgraded for WoD they went from 91-100. So the Ilvl is for entry level 100 in WoD which is like 100ish ilvls lower than what you are expected to be in starting legion content. Which you know, also doesn't make much sense because if you level without heirlooms you will be likely worse off than even the 100 heirlooms.

The other expansions don't have that problem because those "jump" ilvls are what was squished and basically don't exist.

I kind of liked it though, because for a brief glimmer of a moment you get to experience actually trying to beat content like you used to have to. Its never impossible, just requires some actual finesse play from your class.

This discussion has been closed.