As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[GAME ON] Supreme Commander

124»

• Options
    BremenBremen Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Lord Jezo wrote: »
    You know what I want?

A no cd-patch.

Was this sarcasm? Cause the last major patch removed the CD check.

Bremen on
  • Options
    Lord JezoLord Jezo Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Bremen wrote: »
    Lord Jezo wrote: »
    You know what I want?

A no cd-patch.

Was this sarcasm? Cause the last major patch removed the CD check.

Wait really?

I had no clue this happened. I have always put the DVD in my drive because that's how I learned to play. I am going home tonight and taking the DVD out of the drive, so hard, and then booting up the game.

Lord Jezo on
    Clipboard03.jpg
    I KISS YOU!
  • Options
    TimFijiTimFiji Beast Lord Halfway2AnywhereRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Can you add me to the players list? I'm new and probably not good but damn this game is fun. While I'm posting, can you edit max tech levels in skirmishes if I want to have a basic battle?

TimFiji on
    Switch: SW-2322-2047-3148 Steam: Archpriest
      Selling Board Games for Medical Bills
    • Options
      TaviRiderTaviRider Registered User regular
      edited May 2007
      By the way, The Big Patch was released. If you haven't already, run the GPGNet application and it will automatically download and install the patch. Keep in mind that this might kill your current campaign savegames or replays... I'm not positive about this, but that's what past patches have done.

This is a big patch. New features, fixes for lots of little issues, a lot of gameplay balance fixes, etc.

-TaviRider

TaviRider on
      Creator of many videos about Minecraft, usually about redstone and minecarts.
    • Options
      RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
      edited May 2007
      Oh fuck yeah! This patch added the one UI feature whose lack completely killed my interest in the game: The ability to assign a command group to a factory and have the stuff it creates join that group (ala TA). I'm so going to be playing SupCom tonight.

RiemannLives on
      Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
    • Options
      Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
      edited May 2007
      Patch comments:
      *Assist Icon now properly shows when mousing over a Quantum Gateway.

@#%;. MORE SCUs. Lovely.

* Attack Ground is now equivalent of Attack Move to Position.
      * New Hold Ground stance lets units attack the ground instead of performing an attack move to a position.

...I'm not sure about this one. :P

* Anti-air guns now prioritize bombers, gunships and transports over Interceptors and scouts.

Cute. Especially considering they used that behavior in one of their own tutorials for the game.

* Multiple transports now use one Ferry Waypoint, as opposed to one per transport.
      * New Dock Button orders planes to auto-land and refuel at nearest Air Staging Platform or carrier.

Excellent!

* Energy Storage economy reduced; explosion radius increased.

What?! Most players I've talked to thought they needed a *buff*, not a nerf.

* Shields will no longer fully recover shield health while in an Energy-negative economy.
      * Shields no longer prevent nuke damage.

Oh dear. :)

Pretty major nerf to SABs, as well.

* Can no longer build Strategic Missile Defenses on water.

Well, crap.

* Salem now moves similar to Aeon and UEF Destroyers; its speed on land has been increased and only goes on land if it has been given a land-based waypoint.

Good. Thing was 2#% annoying.

* CZAR:
      - Health increased.
      - Beam damage reduced.
      - Flak damage radius increased.
      - Crash damage reduced.

Hmm. could be good, could be bad. The beam nerf kinda sucks.

* Galactic Colossus
      - Build cost decreased.
      - Movement improved.

eep.

- Construction/Queue Bars now shrink and grow according to how many options are available.

Good.

Map Control
      - There is a new window that controls several things:
      - Toggle Resource Icons on/off.
      - Toggle Cartographic mode on/off.
      - Toggle Minimap on/off (even in the minimal view).
      - This dialog can be accessed by either pressing 'Y' or by clicking on the former 'Minimap' button.

All good. I wonder about the new view, haven't had a chance to check it out yet.

* Quick Select Groups / Avatars
      * Strategic Markers

all good changes

Phoenix-D on
    • Options
      VicVic Registered User regular
      edited May 2007
      overall looks pretty awesome.

Vic on
    • Options
      edited May 2007
      Phoenix-D wrote: »
      Patch comments:

@#%. MORE SCUs. Lovely.

This is just an icon change... people who were good enough to get into SCU battles knew they could be assisted anyway.
      ...* Multiple transports now use one Ferry Waypoint, as opposed to one per transport.
      * New Dock Button orders planes to auto-land and refuel at nearest Air Staging Platform or carrier.

Excellent!

I agree! The ferrying behavior was really annoying before. Now it's perfect!

Really? I've never once needed to build storage. If I needed more energy storage, it made more sense to just build more energy production, since it provided sufficient storage as well. It'll bring back an aspect of economic management that was missing from Total Annihilation.
      * Galactic Colossus
      - Build cost decreased.
      - Movement improved.

eep.

WOOHOO!!! I didn't realize that my favorite experimental needed a buff... this rocks!
      All good. I wonder about the new view, haven't had a chance to check it out yet.

Lemme know what you think? I'm tempted to upgrade my rig so I can do dual-head, but I haven't found it useful enough yet. Maybe this new view will make dual-head even better.

-TaviRider

TaviRider on
    • Options
      DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
      edited May 2007
      So what's the best way to get started with this game? Beat the campaigns first before I head online, or jump right in and start getting my ass handed to me?

Darmak on
      JtgVX0H.png
    • Options
      edited May 2007
      Darmak wrote: »
      So what's the best way to get started with this game? Beat the campaigns first before I head online, or jump right in and start getting my ass handed to me?

I'd say play the campaigns. It's a good introduction to the units and their abilities. The drawback is that it will teach you an extremely turtled and resource-constrained way of playing that doesn't work at all in multiplayer, but it's not hard to relearn. I took the road of beating all three campaigns on hard before my first PvP game. I won my third PvP.

Another great way to learn is by downloading and watching replays by high-rated players, and watch replays of your losses to see what your opponent did to beat you.

Lastly, no TaviRider post would be complete without a plug for the wiki. A while back I wrote a Beginner Multiplayer Strategy, which is still evolving.

-TaviRider

TaviRider on
    • Options
      edited May 2007
      TaviRider wrote: »

I'd say play the campaigns. It's a good introduction to the units and their abilities. The drawback is that it will teach you an extremely turtled and resource-constrained way of playing that doesn't work at all in multiplayer, but it's not hard to relearn. I took the road of beating all three campaigns on hard before my first PvP game. I won my third PvP.

Another great way to learn is by downloading and watching replays by high-rated players, and watch replays of your losses to see what your opponent did to beat you.

Lastly, no TaviRider post would be complete without a plug for the wiki. A while back I wrote a Beginner Multiplayer Strategy, which is still evolving.

-TaviRider

Yeah, I saw the wiki in your sig and I bookmarked it. I'll be sure to go through and read everything and try and learn whatever I can while I play through the three campaigns.

Darmak on
      JtgVX0H.png
    • Options
      edited May 2007
      Yeah, I saw the wiki in your sig and I bookmarked it. I'll be sure to go through and read everything and try and learn whatever I can while I play through the three campaigns.

I hope it's useful! Feel free to add any information you find useful, especially to that tutorial.

I haven't updated the wiki yet to get the updated stats from the patch, but I expect to get that tonight. I had an issue with the patch installer.

-TaviRider

TaviRider on
    • Options
      edited May 2007
      Patch comments:

@#%. MORE SCUs. Lovely.

This is just an icon change... people who were good enough to get into SCU battles knew they could be assisted anyway.

Still. :P

Really? I've never once needed to build storage. If I needed more energy storage, it made more sense to just build more energy production, since it provided sufficient storage as well. It'll bring back an aspect of economic management that was missing from Total Annihilation.
      [/quote]

Right. I read that as the energy storage building itself getting a nerf. If you never need to built it...why is it getting nerfed, again?
      * Galactic Colossus
      - Build cost decreased.
      - Movement improved.

eep.

WOOHOO!!! I didn't realize that my favorite experimental needed a buff... this rocks!
      [/quote]

It doesn't. :P

Lemme know what you think? I'm tempted to upgrade my rig so I can do dual-head, but I haven't found it useful enough yet. Maybe this new view will make dual-head even better.

-TaviRider[/QUOTE]
      [/quote]

I don't have enough oomph for two-screen either.

Phoenix-D on
    • Options
      edited May 2007
      http://img406.imageshack.us/img406/4405/heightmapinskirmishgl1.jpg

There's the new view by the way. Looks like it'd make dual-monitors much more feable, because I can't imagine that taking up much processing power at all.

Phoenix-D on
    • Options
      edited May 2007

Right. I read that as the energy storage building itself getting a nerf. If you never need to built it...why is it getting nerfed, again?

I read that the other way around... that units that provide storage will provide less storage, thus you might actually have to build storage. We'll see once I re-extract the unit data from the game, in a few hours.

-TaviRider

TaviRider on
    • Options
      edited May 2007
      http://img406.imageshack.us/img406/4405/heightmapinskirmishgl1.jpg

There's the new view by the way. Looks like it'd make dual-monitors much more feable, because I can't imagine that taking up much processing power at all.

Awesome. I can run this game with dual-monitors but this looks like it'd make it a tad smoother. I may try it again and see how it works out.

Darmak on
      JtgVX0H.png
    • Options
      edited May 2007
      I've just finished updating the SupCom Wiki with unit details from the patch.

People are reporting that performance is better post-patch, which is good news. Lots of positive about this patch, so if there were things about SupCom that bugged you before, it's definitely worth checking out now.

-TaviRider

TaviRider on
    • Options
      edited May 2007

People are reporting that performance is better post-patch, which is good news. Lots of positive about this patch, so if there were things about SupCom that bugged you before, it's definitely worth checking out now.

-TaviRider

Oh man, the performance is MUCH better. The only time I even got a hint of slowdown was when I reached the unit cap in a skirmish game (I was fucking around) and both of the AI opponents had huge armies too (also using dual monitors). And it was barely noticeable slowdown so that's really great. Also, the new view is pretty cool. I was using it last night and it was just as helpful as the normal version.

Darmak on
      JtgVX0H.png
    • Options
      VeegeezeeVeegeezee Registered User regular
      edited May 2007
      I've been out of the loop on this one for a bit. Anybody have a screenshot of the new map view?

Veegeezee on
    • Options
      edited May 2007
      Veegeezee wrote: »
      I've been out of the loop on this one for a bit. Anybody have a screenshot of the new map view?

Phoenix-D posted one a few posts back: http://img406.imageshack.us/img406/4405/heightmapinskirmishgl1.jpg

-TaviRider

TaviRider on
    • Options
      edited June 2007
      Ok really, what is strong against the Aeon Sacred Assault Bot? Good lord my arty and defense and bombers were going quite some time on him and his beam just wails everything I got.

TimFiji on
      • Options
        FreddyDFreddyD Registered User regular
        edited June 2007

-TaviRider

Oh man, the performance is MUCH better. The only time I even got a hint of slowdown was when I reached the unit cap in a skirmish game (I was fucking around) and both of the AI opponents had huge armies too (also using dual monitors). And it was barely noticeable slowdown so that's really great. Also, the new view is pretty cool. I was using it last night and it was just as helpful as the normal version.
        It is like playing a whole new game. I'm glad I didn't uninstall it before the patch.

What is this new view that you are talking about?

FreddyD on
      • Options
        edited June 2007
        TimFiji wrote: »
        Ok really, what is strong against the Aeon Sacred Assault Bot? Good lord my arty and defense and bombers were going quite some time on him and his beam just wails everything I got.

He's kinda slow, so you have to see him before he arrives and throw everything you've got at him.

Its the only unit in the game that can take a direct hit with a NUKE and keep on going.

Phoenix-D on
      • Options
        FreddyDFreddyD Registered User regular
        edited June 2007

He's kinda slow, so you have to see him before he arrives and throw everything you've got at him.

Its the only unit in the game that can take a direct hit with a NUKE and keep on going.
        You mean the [SIZE=-1]Galactic Colossus[/SIZE]? Why would they give that thing a buff? Someone over at Gas Powered must have really liked Iron Giant.

FreddyD on
      • Options
        edited June 2007
        FreddyD wrote: »

You mean the [SIZE=-1]Galactic Colossus[/SIZE]? Why would they give that thing a buff? Someone over at Gas Powered must have really liked Iron Giant.

Yeah, those things are tough cookies. Even though it's slow as hell it fucks shit up. Though I sent two at an AI base and they both died (though they distracted the AI enough to let my army come in and wipe out their base). I think they died though because the AI also had two Colossi AND a Czar. :D

Darmak on
        JtgVX0H.png
      • Options
        edited June 2007

It takes 32 bombs from an Aeon T3 Strategic Bomber to take down a Galactic Colossus, which doesn't have anti-air missiles. This is how I took it down in the single player.

But really, the best way to take down an experimental is another experimental. A Fatboy has larger range than the Galactic Colossus, so when carefully managed it can win without a scratch.

-TaviRider

TaviRider on
      • Options
        MechaJeffMechaJeff Registered User regular
        edited June 2007
        You can also kite a Sacred Assault Bot with SCUs pretty effectively, if you can catch him far enough outside your base where the game isn't already over courtesy of his face laser.

SCUs do solid damage, and have good enough range and speed to fire on him, move, fire, move before he gets a chance to power up and fire the face laser, and when he does, you can still outrun it.

Also, an intensive ground bombing campaign. >_<

SupCom is pretty much the greatest RTS I've ever played. For those of you looking to take the plunge, I highly recommend just biting the bullet, logging onto GPG and playing some online ranked games. You'll win some, you'll lose some, but I guarantee the hardest step will be simply logging in and hitting that "Play" button.

After that, it becomes a lot easier, and much more fun.

MechaJeff on
        Pokemon Pearl
        Trainer Name:
        Jeff
        Friend Code: 5369 6878 3968
      • Options
        Hocky27Hocky27 Registered User regular
        edited June 2007
        Hey guys, I recently got a new computer and I was just wondering at what settings I could possibly run this game.

AMD AM2 Athlon 64 X2 4600+ Dual Core CPU, 2.4Ghz,
        8600GT 256MB 128-bit DDR3,
        Corsair TWIN2X2048-5400C4 2GB

Thanks guys :D.

Hocky27 on
      • Options
        edited June 2007
        Hocky27 wrote: »
        Hey guys, I recently got a new computer and I was just wondering at what settings I could possibly run this game.

AMD AM2 Athlon 64 X2 4600+ Dual Core CPU, 2.4Ghz,
        8600GT 256MB 128-bit DDR3,
        Corsair TWIN2X2048-5400C4 2GB

Thanks guys :D.

I would say on the higher end of things. I sport an

AMD AM2 Athlong 64 X2 5600+
        8800GTS 320MB
        G. Skill 2GB

I run near max and it barely ever slows down. Better now with the new patch, overall, I think you should be just fine.

TimFiji on
        • Options
          Hocky27Hocky27 Registered User regular
          edited June 2007
          Well I guess I just need to go out and buy it now then :P. Thanks for your help

Do we have a fair few people playing this game on the forums ? Because it just seems that this game wasnt all that well received here.

Hocky27 on
        • Options
          CZroeCZroe Registered User regular
          edited July 2007
          I just bought this for $25 at Best Buy "With Bonus DVD" and found that both PC discs appeared identical (every letter) save for a part-number on the game disc. Because I had to look so closely in a failed attempt to identify the game disc, I noticed that both had the "NTSC" marking in a rectangle. WTF? It's a PC game! NTSC is a broadcast/television standard and one with days that are (literally) numbers as ATSC has supplanted that. It's not even correct to use it to designate regions. WTF are they doing?

Oh, and it's not a DVD-video bonus DVD either (in case you were thinking that that is where "NTSC" comes from)... just an on-disc web page with some videos and excerpts from the soundtrack.

CZroe on
        • Options
          wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
          edited July 2007
          I just played this game for the first time this weekend, while I think it's awesome, it does have quite a learning curve, and I apparently suck hard. I have to learn how to not suck first.

wunderbar on
          XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
        • Options
          SudsSuds Registered User regular
          edited July 2007
          I played the demo and I was really put off by the graphical user interface. It took up nearly half of my screen which I found very constricting.

Have they improved upon this since it was released? Can anyone post some recent screenshots of the game where you can also see the interface?

Suds on
          camo_sig2.png
        • Options
          subediisubedii Registered User regular
          edited July 2007
          They've given a new option for the interface, it's a lot less intrusive. I'll post some screencaps later.

Just bought this recently and I'm loving it quite a lot. I've never been a fan of the micro-heavy RTS games, so this is a lot more my style. Plus, this is one of the few RTS's I've played where I had difficulty with the opening mission. My first large tank formation got bombed into the ground en route to the enemy base. Then when I had my anti-air in place, I proceeded to try and take down the enemy point defences by just attacking them directly. This resulted in slaughter. If a computer could laugh, it was probably laughing at me.

The neccessity of combind arms was pretty much drilled into me after that. I had to co-ordinate a hefty two-pronged assault on the enemy base with ground forces coming in from the South to take out air defences and my bombers coming in from the North to finish off the enemy commander. I got reduced to one bomber before I finally took him down. I think if I replayed it now I'd probably do a lot better.

subedii on
        • Options
          edited July 2007
          Screen caps from sandbox (tutorial) mode. IIRC the performance of the game was upped drastically in the most recent patches (I've heard somewhere in the region of 40%).

Upgrading my ACU:
          SCFrame_Tue_Jul_31_100343_2007_0000.jpg

Some random tech 2 units under a mobile shield generator:
          SCFrame_Tue_Jul_31_100409_2007_0000.jpg

A more zoomed out view of the island:
          SCFrame_Tue_Jul_31_104914_2007_0000.jpg

Kablooie
          SCFrame_Tue_Jul_31_104945_2007_0001.jpg

The top bar can be shrunk to remove the additional information, and the bar on the right hand side (showing idle engineers, groups, and ACU) can be removed altogether. All in all it works, displays everything I need, and gives plenty of space.

subedii on
        • Options
          SudsSuds Registered User regular
          edited July 2007
          That's much better than the original interface.

Suds on
          camo_sig2.png
        • Options
          edited July 2007
          Once I get through a campaign or two, I'm going to have to try online. How's GPG's mathmaking service? Am I likely to get lumped in with people who aren't going to terminate me in 5 seconds?

In any case, I'll try to join a game on or two sometime down the line when I get the chance.

subedii on
        • Options
          CyrixdCyrixd Registered User regular
          edited July 2007
          Nice to see that some more people picked this up :).

I stopped playing it for a while, but I'll be getting a new laptop this week that will run it perfectly. Before it was rather choppy out of battle, and unplayable in any sort of large-scale conflict. I'll definitely be jumping back into this once my laptop comes, so we can get some games going :)

For starting out on GPGNet, I'd recommend just joining some unranked custom games to get the hang of it. Plus there are usually a lot of 'Noobs only' games going on (not that those are always noobs...), and with nothing to lose they're good practice. You can also download a lot of replays through GPGNet, which is really helpful for picking up some tips and strategies.

Cyrixd on
          Nintendo ID/PSN: CyrixD
          SteamID: FronWewq
          Battle.net: Orange#1845
          3DS Friend Code: 1289-9498-5797