As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Board games] THIS THREAD IS DEAD! POST IN THE NEW ONE!

• Options
    YamiNoSenshiYamiNoSenshi A point called Z In the complex planeRegistered User regular
    Ah_Pook wrote: »
    I bought a copy of Codenames undercover on clearance at Target today. Just went through the words and got 45 usable cards to add to base Codenames, plus a new deck of key cards. Not too bad for $9 I guess. Was hoping for a better ratio of cards that were more vague innuendo and less "gangbang" but oh well.

Edit: a lot of the ones I took out were borderline, you might get a lot more usable cards depending on where you personally want to draw that line. I'd say you might get up to 90-100 depending, just eyeballing it.

I heard the problem was also along the lines of the cards being too similar. In regular Codenames, you have to stretch to try and loop a few words together. In the 'adult' one, you'll likely have six words on the table for boobs and there's not really a way to refer to some but not all of them.

• Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    When my friends and I found out that there was going to be an "adult" version of Codenames, we briefly entertained hope that instead of being sophomoric (which is what people really mean when they say "adult"), it would have things like "debt", "mortgage", "arthritis", and so on.

Which is way more reflective of my adult experience, although I will allow that perhaps I am doing it wrong.

• Options
    WearingglassesWearingglasses Of the friendly neighborhood variety Registered User regular
    Delduwath wrote: »
    When my friends and I found out that there was going to be an "adult" version of Codenames, we briefly entertained hope that instead of being sophomoric (which is what people really mean when they say "adult"), it would have things like "debt", "mortgage", "arthritis", and so on.

Which is way more reflective of my adult experience, although I will allow that perhaps I am doing it wrong.

Game's kinda gonna throw dark if you do that and have "Depression", "Divorce", "Bankruptcy" to give clues and you can go "Me, 3".

• Options
    Dirk2112Dirk2112 Registered User regular
    My son has difficulty reading, so we didn't know if we should get the regular codenames or the ones with pictures. After seeing the picture version and the adult version, I am glad we went with the regular one.

In other news, my Pack O Game 2 Kickstarter showed up in the mail a couple of days ago. A little late for Xmas stocking stuffers, but I think I can fit them in larger Easter eggs. I hope some of these play well and will be used on a Cruise we take later this year.

NNID = Zepp914
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    I bought a copy of Codenames undercover on clearance at Target today. Just went through the words and got 45 usable cards to add to base Codenames, plus a new deck of key cards. Not too bad for $9 I guess. Was hoping for a better ratio of cards that were more vague innuendo and less "gangbang" but oh well.

Edit: a lot of the ones I took out were borderline, you might get a lot more usable cards depending on where you personally want to draw that line. I'd say you might get up to 90-100 depending, just eyeballing it.

This was something I'd been wondering, thanks! Was hoping for more, like, "in the end" and less "****ing ****hole."

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    mysticjuicermysticjuicer [he/him] I'm a muscle wizard and I cast P U N C HRegistered User regular
    Man, contemplating getting into Netrunner a little bit ( just online, I don't have LCG money). So many freaking cards to read. Someone on a Discord is going to put together a simple-ish deck for me at least, so I don't have to do that myself. Even something like "pick a deck from netrunnerbd" is paralysis inducing.

narwhal wrote:
    Why am I Terran?
    My YouTube Channel! Featuring silly little Guilty Gear Strive videos and other stuff!
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    Darric wrote: »
    Another $50 buy in for Rising Sun to give you two more, I assume, Chinese clans. They cannot use the normal season cards and instead come with their own cards and figures. Not actually that bad a price for what you get, but expansions while the Kickstarter is still going on seems like bad form.

Edit: I am a consumer whore.

I am very mad about this. The rational thing to do is to wait for the game to release before buying an expansion, but then you get a mismatch in component quality (as the base pledge ships with plastic components, and these won't be available post-release).

You could also not buy the game and get 3 $50 dollar games without the boatload of mini's. Because Rising sun is a 50 dollar game with a 100 dollar plastic facelift.

I don't really disagree with you ... but I'm not really talking about the price vs production value trade off. What I've seen of Rising Sun is intriguing (I love diplomacy games) with or without the minis.

I'm frustrated that of the three options (cancel my pledge, keep my pledge, add to my pledge) there is no option that makes me feel good.

I also am not talking about production value exactly. I initially also pledged because I liked the idea of Rising Sun the diplomacy game.
    This also was my first CMON kickstarter and didn't really know what to expect, I had heard about the way they run things.
    I cancelled my pledge because I saw another game that fit better with my playgroup (Hexplore-it) and I took issue with 2 sculpts for one and the same token. This came of to me as unnecessarily confusing and not in line with non-confusing game design.
    A sign that it wasn't about the game but that the game was the vehicle to help sell lots of plastics. The other sign is that there is still no rulebook and everything that can be made plastic is made into plastic.
    Instead of lowering MSRP we get moar plastic that doesn't hit the table most of the time. Add-ons are overpriced and the last add-on will give you buyers remorse if you don't buy it straight away because when it goes to retail it wont have all the bits the KS version has.

CMON is using kickstarter as preorder and manipulating people into going all in on a game that hasn't even been reviewed yet, because you will feel sorry you didn't back the hypetrain if it does turn out good. You will miss out on a whole clan and all those other ks exclusives.
    Kickstarter exclusives pressure people into backing because they feel they will loose out otherwise. Case in point is a certain ks exclusive mini for bloodrage.
    Best part is that you don't know if the game is good until you get it to the table a year from now.

So IMHO I go all in and hope the game is good and/or flip it for a profit or I cancel my pledge and never think about it again. Because I will kick myself in the head everytime I play it because I could have had all these extra gameplay options locked away in plastic bloat.

To save on production costs they could have made wooden meeples/strongholds for all the clans and only do the gods 28 mm plastic. That way they could have included all the clans at 100 dollars.
    And just have different colored wooden tokens for the VP tracker and wooden half ying yang pieces.
    And cardboard mandates.
    And have the mini's for the clans/strongholds as add-ons.

Holy shit, thank you for mentioning Hexplore it. I hadn't heard of it and now I'm in. It's nice to see someone actually using KS right for once. It's not a huge game company that should be selling at retail using it as a fancy preorder system, it's a guy who made up a game, tested it on BGG for awhile, and now needs some cash to get it started.

Edit: It's also super sexy to pay $59 for a game on KS rather than the usual $250 everyone wants.

I'm waffling hard on this. Don't you think it looks a little too much like co-op Talisman?

• Options
    PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
    Man, contemplating getting into Netrunner a little bit ( just online, I don't have LCG money). So many freaking cards to read. Someone on a Discord is going to put together a simple-ish deck for me at least, so I don't have to do that myself. Even something like "pick a deck from netrunnerbd" is paralysis inducing.

There are enough former addicts around here to help with anything you could ask for

sig.gif
  • Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    Another $50 buy in for Rising Sun to give you two more, I assume, Chinese clans. They cannot use the normal season cards and instead come with their own cards and figures. Not actually that bad a price for what you get, but expansions while the Kickstarter is still going on seems like bad form.

I am very mad about this. The rational thing to do is to wait for the game to release before buying an expansion, but then you get a mismatch in component quality (as the base pledge ships with plastic components, and these won't be available post-release).

You could also not buy the game and get 3 $50 dollar games without the boatload of mini's. Because Rising sun is a 50 dollar game with a 100 dollar plastic facelift.

I don't really disagree with you ... but I'm not really talking about the price vs production value trade off. What I've seen of Rising Sun is intriguing (I love diplomacy games) with or without the minis.

I'm frustrated that of the three options (cancel my pledge, keep my pledge, add to my pledge) there is no option that makes me feel good.

I also am not talking about production value exactly. I initially also pledged because I liked the idea of Rising Sun the diplomacy game.
    This also was my first CMON kickstarter and didn't really know what to expect, I had heard about the way they run things.
    I cancelled my pledge because I saw another game that fit better with my playgroup (Hexplore-it) and I took issue with 2 sculpts for one and the same token. This came of to me as unnecessarily confusing and not in line with non-confusing game design.
    A sign that it wasn't about the game but that the game was the vehicle to help sell lots of plastics. The other sign is that there is still no rulebook and everything that can be made plastic is made into plastic.
    Instead of lowering MSRP we get moar plastic that doesn't hit the table most of the time. Add-ons are overpriced and the last add-on will give you buyers remorse if you don't buy it straight away because when it goes to retail it wont have all the bits the KS version has.

CMON is using kickstarter as preorder and manipulating people into going all in on a game that hasn't even been reviewed yet, because you will feel sorry you didn't back the hypetrain if it does turn out good. You will miss out on a whole clan and all those other ks exclusives.
    Kickstarter exclusives pressure people into backing because they feel they will loose out otherwise. Case in point is a certain ks exclusive mini for bloodrage.
    Best part is that you don't know if the game is good until you get it to the table a year from now.

So IMHO I go all in and hope the game is good and/or flip it for a profit or I cancel my pledge and never think about it again. Because I will kick myself in the head everytime I play it because I could have had all these extra gameplay options locked away in plastic bloat.

To save on production costs they could have made wooden meeples/strongholds for all the clans and only do the gods 28 mm plastic. That way they could have included all the clans at 100 dollars.
    And just have different colored wooden tokens for the VP tracker and wooden half ying yang pieces.
    And cardboard mandates.

Holy shit, thank you for mentioning Hexplore it. I hadn't heard of it and now I'm in. It's nice to see someone actually using KS right for once. It's not a huge game company that should be selling at retail using it as a fancy preorder system, it's a guy who made up a game, tested it on BGG for awhile, and now needs some cash to get it started.

Edit: It's also super sexy to pay $59 for a game on KS rather than the usual $250 everyone wants.

I'm waffling hard on this. Don't you think it looks a little too much like co-op Talisman?

Very much so. And less co-op, more sharing joint control of a single player game. Doesn't grab me at all.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular

I haven't played it at all, but I hear the new expansion they have that has a Legacy campaign is pretty neat... and also the person who said that recommended you only play it with that Legacy expansion and the base game cards.

So I mean, could scratch that itch without breaking the bank.

• Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular

I'd try seeing if you could organize a core set only vs core set only game versus some people online, probably from this very forum even. It's a great game but, it's got enough novel concepts that limiting yourself to a limited cardpool early on is nice.

• Options
    mysticjuicermysticjuicer [he/him] I'm a muscle wizard and I cast P U N C HRegistered User regular
    Thanks folks. :biggrin: I've played a game or two with a friend way back when the game first came out, but yeah, I was not prepared for the volume of cards that had come out since then. I'm going to at least play a couple games, since playing online means I don't have to pay any money at all to give it a shot. I'm unlikely to ever get the physical cards since I already own two competitive 2-player games that I don't have anyone local to play with - no sense raising that count to three. :rotate:

If I get hooked I'll start looking into the Netrunner thread, but right now even the basic resources I've been linked to are too advanced for me to make heads or tails of. I'm definitely feeling the old MtG emotions of "jesus Christ there are so many options out there where do I even begin." So having someone build me a deck to use is probably the best possible place to start: that means I can just focus on learning how to play the game, and figuring out what I might like to play.

narwhal wrote:
    Why am I Terran?
    My YouTube Channel! Featuring silly little Guilty Gear Strive videos and other stuff!
  • Options
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

I haven't played it at all, but I hear the new expansion they have that has a Legacy campaign is pretty neat... and also the person who said that recommended you only play it with that Legacy expansion and the base game cards.

As I understand it you need to buy sets multiple times if you want to be able to have the maximum allowable number of copies of certain cards? It's a moot point though: I am never spending money on the physical cards. That's just entirely off the table.

narwhal wrote:
    Why am I Terran?
  • Options
    Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    Thanks folks. :biggrin: I've played a game or two with a friend way back when the game first came out, but yeah, I was not prepared for the volume of cards that had come out since then. I'm going to at least play a couple games, since playing online means I don't have to pay any money at all to give it a shot. I'm unlikely to ever get the physical cards since I already own two competitive 2-player games that I don't have anyone local to play with - no sense raising that count to three. :rotate:

If I get hooked I'll start looking into the Netrunner thread, but right now even the basic resources I've been linked to are too advanced for me to make heads or tails of. I'm definitely feeling the old MtG emotions of "jesus Christ there are so many options out there where do I even begin." So having someone build me a deck to use is probably the best possible place to start: that means I can just focus on learning how to play the game, and figuring out what I might like to play.

Ask if you can play a match where your deck isn't Most Wanted List (the soft ban list) legal and play an old Pre-paid Kate deck. Those things practically play themselves because your gameplan is to drown yourself in money and then vomit it all over the corp until they lose.

• Options
    Don't worry, I've been assured I won't be handed anything super-complicated. They know I'm Netrunner newb.

narwhal wrote:
    Why am I Terran?
  • Options
    Custom SpecialCustom Special I know I am, I'm sure I am, I'm Sounders 'til I die!Registered User regular

This sounds great to me. The idea of Netrunner is really cool to me, but I don't want to buy millions of cards and try to build decks. So just "needing" a core set and being able to enjoy the Legacy campaign would be really nice.

XBL: F4ll0utBP | STEAM | PSN : CustomSpecial | Bnet: F4ll0ut#1636
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    Just to let folks know that might be interested in their own copy of Dune, apparently Print and Play Productions has the all the files and whatnot for the Ilya version of Dune prepped and ready to go, currently getting a quote from them before I decide to go forward. Seems like there is a decent chance that it will be both cheaper and a better quality and more cohesive package (box, folding board, play aids, etc) then if I did it piecemeal from various sites plus my own work.

Edit:

In regards to Netrunner. It's a great game but I burned out keeping up with releases, just not my style. But I'm definitely jumping back in to go through the Legacy stuff with my old playing partner.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    LykouraghLykouragh Registered User regular
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    Just to let folks know that might be interested in their own copy of Dune, apparently Print and Play Productions has the all the files and whatnot for the Ilya version of Dune prepped and ready to go, currently getting a quote from them before I decide to go forward. Seems like there is a decent chance that it will be both cheaper and a better quality and more cohesive package (box, folding board, play aids, etc) then if I did it piecemeal from various sites plus my own work.

Edit:

In regards to Netrunner. It's a great game but I burned out keeping up with releases, just not my style. But I'm definitely jumping back in to go through the Legacy stuff with my old playing partner.

Let us know how that goes with Dune!

I'm still playing Netrunner every week, it's still a great game, I'm looking forward to the legacy box. I think it's perfectly reasonable to start now as a new player- you'll be perfectly able to have fun without buying the entire existing card set. The only thing you'll need to buy multiple copies of is the core set, everything else contains a full playset of cards.

• Options

And cardboard mandates.

Very much so. And less co-op, more sharing joint control of a single player game. Doesn't grab me at all.

Have you played Shadowrun: Crossfire? Some people hated it, and I can see why. My group really loved it, and that's part of what motivates me.

• Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    I was just looking at Rising Sun. Think I might go full into this one. anyone familiar with the company/creators history?

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    YamiNoSenshiYamiNoSenshi A point called Z In the complex planeRegistered User regular
    azith28 wrote: »
    I was just looking at Rising Sun. Think I might go full into this one. anyone familiar with the company/creators history?

CMON is one of the big, established game production companies, so you'll definitely get your copy with good or better quality components.

Eric Lang is a fairly prolific game designer. He's had a few smash hits in the last couple years. Blood Rage is probably his more well known and popular game now, of which Rising Sun is effectively a sequel to.

So if you like what you see and you think it's worth your money, there's not reason to back it.

• Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    I am so excited for the netrunner campaign box.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    Dis'Dis' Registered User regular

As I understand it you need to buy sets multiple times if you want to be able to have the maximum allowable number of copies of certain cards? It's a moot point though: I am never spending money on the physical cards. That's just entirely off the table.

I see what you did there.

It's just the core set you "need" multiple's of (I know loads of the people who didn't get multiple and still play), every other product will have full sets of card copies.

Online is pretty friendly to new people - just putting "New Player, Core Set Please" or some such in your game title works a treat.

• Options
    Yeah, you never HAD to have multiple cores, but, having some of the meta defining cards for your faction of choice being 1x in the core set (Criminals and Desperado in my case) really sucked.

• Options
    Yeah, you never HAD to have multiple cores, but, having some of the meta defining cards for your faction of choice being 1x in the core set (Criminals and Desperado in my case) really sucked.

I only have 1 core, and it's pretty much fine unless you wanted to get really competitive and need another copy of a card. I think I printed a card and used an extra identity card as the back (cards are sleeved) when I wanted one, because no one cares and I don't enter tournaments.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options

It's kind of mind-boggling that they would do this at all. Why not just... include a copy of all necessary cards in the core box? I don't think this applied to all or even most cards? I'm glad there's online, I guess is what I'm saying.

narwhal wrote:
    Why am I Terran?
  • Options

It's kind of mind-boggling that they would do this at all. Why not just... include a copy of all necessary cards in the core box? I don't think this applied to all or even most cards? I'm glad there's online, I guess is what I'm saying.

It's a compromise between the core box giving players a large enough variety of cards to get an idea of the game, giving them enough of the same copy to have a consistent deck, and the overall cost of the box and keeping that low enough to not be a barrier to player entry.

I understand them having some 1 of, or 2 of copies in the core set.

What I find disagreeable is that they do not offer a "Finish the core set" box for sale which contains enough copies of the core set cards to bring you up to a full play set. But that's pretty par for the course for FFG and their somewhat consistently crappy policies for starter sets for their collectible games.

• Options

Because then they can have their customers buy 3 core sets for $120 instead of buying one core set for $60.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    ArcSyn wrote: »

Because then they can have their customers buy 3 core sets for $120 instead of buying one core set for $60.

Really it just ends up driving up the third party market that will buy and cannibalize sets and sell the parts separately for a profit. You can go to third parties to get the rest of the core set copies, or x-wing cards, for example.

• Options
    MrBodyMrBody Registered User regular
    Aw man, Black Orchestra reprint won't be out until October? Boooo

Anyone have any thoughts on Shadowrift?

• Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    MrBody wrote: »
    Aw man, Black Orchestra reprint won't be out until October? Boooo

Anyone have any thoughts on Shadowrift?

Get Aeon's End. I own both, they're quite similar and Aeon's End is better.

That said, I own the first edition of Shadowrift, and BGG says there's a second with some significant revisions. It wasn't that far from being a pretty good game and might be, now.

• Options
    Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    Got a 5p game of Chaos In The Old World set up for Sunday, going to try out the skaven finally. Excited!

• Options
    @Darkewolfe Did you see this?

It pretty much changed my waffling to full on dedicated pannekoeken. I'm excited for it now.

• Options
    edited March 2017
    Aracdia Quest: Inferno showed up, finally.

oh my freaking god so much stuff. the dragons are really cool and bigger then Cthulhu Wars GOOs (well,except 2 of them)

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    MrBodyMrBody Registered User regular
    Got a 5p game of Chaos In The Old World set up for Sunday, going to try out the skaven finally. Excited!

The main differences between the base game and the expansion:

Dial victories almost never happen anymore. It's all about the VP.

The cultist upgrade is no longer the first auto-pick.

• Options
    TimFijiTimFiji Beast Lord Halfway2AnywhereRegistered User regular

oh my freaking god so much stuff. the dragons are really cool and bigger then Cthulhu Wars GOOs (well,except 2 of them)

How is Arcadia Quest?

Switch: SW-2322-2047-3148 Steam: Archpriest
      Selling Board Games for Medical Bills
    • Options
      @Darkewolfe Did you see this?

It pretty much changed my waffling to full on dedicated pannekoeken. I'm excited for it now.

I had not, thank you!

• Options
      TimFiji wrote: »

How is Arcadia Quest?

It's pretty crazy, chaotic fun. everyone I've played it with has been REALLY impressed with it.

• Options
      TimFijiTimFiji Beast Lord Halfway2AnywhereRegistered User regular
      TimFiji wrote: »

How is Arcadia Quest?

It's pretty crazy, chaotic fun. everyone I've played it with has been REALLY impressed with it.

I might snag a copy. Base alright or should I wait for retail inferno?

Switch: SW-2322-2047-3148 Steam: Archpriest
        Selling Board Games for Medical Bills
      • Options
        PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular

j e a l o u s

sig.gif
      This discussion has been closed.