As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Horizon Zero Dawn] Out now on PC and PS4!

• Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    Forar wrote: »
    As someone who is still holding out hope for news of a PC port (and gradually crumbling to the idea of maybe needing to buy a console), I would like to thank everyone for being solid about spoiler tags. I'm sure it's a bit annoying, especially this long after release, but it's appreciated that you all make the effort.
    Aren't Guerrilla Sony owned? Or partnered, or something?
    Like, Horizon, God of War and Uncharted are probably three series you can pretty much guarantee won't be coming on anything non-Sony.

Though I'd say it says something about how this game grabbed me that I've been telling my friend (who will eventually break down when his PC can't keep up with new releases, and get either a Xbox One or PS4) about games with lines like "Uncharted 4 is pretty great, if you get a PS4 you should totally get it", and used this as my main argument for he should play this game.
    "You mean, if I get a PS4?"
    "No, I mean you should get a PS4 so you can play this game."

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2017
    klemming wrote: »
    Aren't Guerrilla Sony owned? Or partnered, or something?
    Like, Horizon, God of War and Uncharted are probably three series you can pretty much guarantee won't be coming on anything non-Sony.

I'm aware.

As I have pointed out before, I'm not paying like $300-500+ (depending on my willingness to go to the secondary market for a game console, which I'm not) for a single game.

I'll throw $100 Canadian at them right now for a pre-order, but 'half a grand' is a bit much even for a Game of the Year contender.

It was less about debating (for probably the third time now) 'no, I'm good, thanks, I don't want to buy a PS4' and more a comment on the restraint shown by the community and yet here we are again. >.<

Edit: there's a small possibility I might be able to borrow both the game and a console from a friend, but the thing is I would be willing (eager, even) to pay cash money up front for my own copy that didn't require what would otherwise be a giant paper weight, but that drifts considerably farther afield in terms of what pros and cons there are for consumers regarding exclusivity (I'm not a huge fan). Timed exclusivity? Go for it! I'll wait a year or two.

Also, there are other games and series I never expected to see on the PC, and yet some Final Fantasy and Resident Evil and Silent Hill games ended up there all the same.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    GMaster7GMaster7 Goggles Paesano Registered User regular
    edited August 2017
    As someone who is still holding out hope for news of a PC port (and gradually crumbling to the idea of maybe needing to buy a console), I would like to thank everyone for being solid about spoiler tags. I'm sure it's a bit annoying, especially this long after release, but it's appreciated that you all make the effort.

Given that this is a Sony-published exclusive, I don't think there's any chance they'll port to PC. What I will say is that Black Friday is closer than you think, and there may be some good deals on PS4 Pro around that time.

IMO, this is absolutely a standout top-tier title from this generation and is a must-play if you're considering picking up a PS4. And there have been so many other good exclusives this year! Definitely worth looking at what sales we see this fall and jumping on a good one.

GMaster7 on
    PSN: SKI2000G | Steam: GMaster7 | Battle.net: GMaster7#1842 | Twitch: twitch.tv/SKI2000G
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    Fourth time.

>.<

I'm not looking for a PS4. I'm a happy PC gamer. I've spent more than I want to talk about on my PC, and have zero interest in adding a console to the apartment for a single game.

I am, however, beginning to regret saying anything.

Forar on
  • Options
    GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    Well if you don't want to buy a PlayStation and you can borrow it and the game, you absolutely should.

Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • Options
    Fourth time.

>.<

I'm not looking for a PS4. I'm a happy PC gamer. I've spent more than I want to talk about on my PC, and have zero interest in adding a console to the apartment for a single game.

I am, however, beginning to regret saying anything.

For some reason, I didn't see your 1:31 pm post when I made mine. Wasn't trying to force it on you. Do your thing - plenty of must-play stuff on PC right now!

PSN: SKI2000G | Steam: GMaster7 | Battle.net: GMaster7#1842 | Twitch: twitch.tv/SKI2000G
  • Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    Nils is a weird guy.

You really weird, Nils!

Whatever makes him happy though, I guess.

• Options
    ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular
    Aistan wrote: »
    Nils is a weird guy.

You really weird, Nils!

Er.

I would be very leery of a happy Nil.

Very, very leery.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options
    edited September 2017
    Well, I did it. I borrowed a PS4.

This game is so good. SO FUCKING GOOD.

My friend wants their system back, but I'll be keeping a close eye on Best Buy's black Friday deals.

I went nearly a year without it, surely the next month and change won't be a big deal...

*twitch*

Forar on
  • Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    Yessssss. Goooooood

• Options
    GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    Shadowhope wrote: »
    Aistan wrote: »
    Nils is a weird guy.

You really weird, Nils!

Er.

I would be very leery of a happy Nil.

Very, very leery.

"Hi, I'm a terrifying sociopath."
    "You do you, buddy!"

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular

My friend wants their system back,

don't give it up without a fight

• Options
    Well, I did it. I borrowed a PS4.

This game is so good. SO FUCKING GOOD.

My friend wants their system back, but I'll be keeping a close eye on Best Buy's black Friday deals.

I went nearly a year without it, surely the next month and change won't be a big deal...

*twitch*

Iknowright?

It's far and away the game that I've gotten the most enjoyment from in years.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options
    I'm still scared of thunderjaws.

does that ever go away?

• Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular

does that ever go away?

Only in that rockbreakers are worse.

• Options

does that ever go away?
    Depends on the difficulty.
    On Hard, I'm at the point where I can either kill it with 6 tear arrows, 7 ice arrows, 4 rope arrows and 6 precision arrows, or (If I don't want the loot but do want it to stomp on everything else in sight) just 4 rope arrows and an override.
    But sooner or later I'm going to try Ultra-Hard, and I'm already nervous about that.

• Options

does that ever go away?

My favorite way to kill thunder jaws is
    Hide in a bush and place about 30 explosive snares with the tripcaster, whistle one over, and laugh as it walks into a small tactical nuke.

• Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    I never get tired of
    tearblast arrowing the disc launchers off then laughing as I launch them into its face over and over until it explodes.

• Options

I like hitting them with the ropecaster to tie them down, using frost effects to chill them, and then using a hunter bow with really high handling to inflict massive damage in a very short period of time.

• Options
    Commodore75Commodore75 gothenburg.seRegistered User regular
    I finally got around to focusing on this game, and oh boy, is it good.
    Only on my second tallneck, but I think this might be one of my fav games.
    Will be interesting to hear this year's GotY discussions. I think releasing the DLC at the end of the year will help the game with people who would otherwise have forgotten the game when it's time gor GotY.

• Options
    WolveSightWolveSight Registered User regular
    I just finished this game a few days ago (yeah, I know, a bit late. I got sidetracked by a lot of other good games.). It really is a great game. I missed a few things to pick up along the way, but overall I'm pretty happy with my run-through. Definitely looking forward to picking up the DLC in a week and a half or so, and then not finishing it until after Christmas!

253J736.png
  • Options
    mare_imbriummare_imbrium Registered User regular
    edited October 2017
    We actually had the fancy statue version of this game pre-ordered before we even had a PS4. We saw it during um 2016? E3 and wanted it bad. I was totally into it when it came out but then I was away from home for a month and, as always happens with me, didn't really pick it back up because I forgot where I was and how to play. Then in August I got really really into BotW (like 60 hrs in a week into it).

But then a few days ago I thought, since botw I haven't really played a game and I want to play something and decided to get back into it. I am hard into it, probably almost as much as I was in botw. It's the story. I can't stop because I have to find out what HAPPENS! Fighting robodinos can be fun but it is also stressful for me. I'm not good at aiming or running around fighting so there's a lot of stealth and setting up, though I am recently over level 30 and I notice it's getting easier. The creepy ruins where you don't have to worry about fighting and just explore and listen to voices from the past are my favorite. It's a nice reward from the constant tense "is there a machine going to crawl up my ass right now" play.
    I think my biggest complaint is that healing menu with the dpad as others have mentioned. I have died a couple of times because I just kept cycling cycling cycling to get the damn health potion and didn't make it (and WHY are health potions separated from full health and health boost potions?! Why aren't they all in a row?).
    Oh I also wanted to agree with whomever said it was not as open world as other open worlds and more like a movie. I like the explore and have definitely come across places that are quest sites before I have the right quest and they have a Hollywood-backlot-not-in-use-today feeling. And there is really very little things interact with in town and feels... Not real? In a way you don't get when you're in the wild.

Still, great game. I am on Deep Secrets of the Earth and will hopefully do that quest tonight. My mind have been full of speculation all weekend!

Edit: any instances of me sounding like an idiot or like I don't have full mastery of the language are due to typing on a phone keyboard and not feeling like going back and editing such a large post. Sorry.

mare_imbrium on
    v2zAToe.jpg
    Wii: 4521 1146 5179 1333 Pearl: 3394 4642 8367 HG: 1849 3913 3132
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    Shadowhope wrote: »
    I like hitting them with the ropecaster to tie them down, using frost effects to chill them, and then using a hunter bow with really high handling to inflict massive damage in a very short period of time.

Lots of cool strategies in this thread.

I just shoot them a bunch til they die.

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    MagicPrimeMagicPrime FiresideWizard Registered User regular
    Those disclaunchers are there for a reason. Rip those suckers off and bring the beast down.

BNet • magicprime#1430 | PSN/Steam • MagicPrime | Origin • FireSideWizard
    Critical Failures - Havenhold CampaignAugust St. Cloud (Human Ranger)
  • Options
    ZundeZunde Registered User regular
    I was scared of Thunderjaws but they're pretty easy to turn into Farm-fodder
    Sneak attack with Tearblast to knock off the Cannons then knock it down with the Ropecaster freeze it up with freeze bombs and then go to town with the blown off disc launcher!

• Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    I just went to order Frozen Wilds and now there's a transaction with Missed Charges and no preorder. And when I try to add funds to my wallet, it says to check my credit card information, all of which is correct.

WTF?

• Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited October 2017
    I was super into this for a while until I did my first Vault. The platforming, stealth and boss challenge at the end were fun but when I realised there were no checkpoint saving I realised the Vault concept was more stressful than fun.

Are Vaults necessary to finish the game or figure out the story? I was having a hoot with the rest of the game.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    edited October 2017
    -Loki- wrote: »
    I was super into this for a while until I did my first Vault. The platforming, stealth and boss challenge at the end were fun but when I realised there were no checkpoint saving I realised the Vault concept was more stressful than fun.

Are Vaults necessary to finish the game or figure out the story? I was having a hoot with the rest of the game.

By Vaults do you mean the Cauldrons? If so, no. I mostly ignored them after a while.

Steel Angel on
    Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Wait, I totally died inside Cauldrons and I never replayed one from the beginning I don't think.

PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    -Loki- wrote: »

They vary in length.

I could have sworn there were checkpoints, but most of the cauldrons are deceptively short.

I would do them because you’re going to want the benefits you get from finishing them. But they’re not strictly necessary for finishing the game.

• Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    Must have been the Cauldron I did (it's the first one they point out in the story). I got about halfway through it and mistimed a jump and died and went right back to the start.

Good to know they're not essential, I'll start playing again.

Bit of advice needed - there's a fairly early quest where the game throws two Sabretooth things at you. I have enough trouble fighting one. Is it worth leaving some early stuff until you get better gear?

• Options
    yes, but also that cauldron was probably the one that
    lets you override those machines. I know that's how I knocked that quest out. Make them kill each other

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    Orca wrote: »
    I just went to order Frozen Wilds and now there's a transaction with Missed Charges and no preorder. And when I try to add funds to my wallet, it says to check my credit card information, all of which is correct.

WTF?

I've been having problems trying to add funds directly to the Wallet for months now. The easiest way I've found is to go on Amazon, buy a PSN money code, and add it that way.

• Options
    StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    KalTorak wrote: »
    Orca wrote: »

WTF?

I've been having problems trying to add funds directly to the Wallet for months now. The easiest way I've found is to go on Amazon, buy a PSN money code, and add it that way.

I have had this problem for a year and a half or so. Sometimes the card works and sometimes it doesn't. I've talked to customer support and they are so unhelpful for this issue.

But yea, sometimes I end up needing to buy PSN money cards so I can buy stuff.

I haven't played this game since I beat it months ago and reading through the last 3 pages I haven't read have made me really excited for the DLC and makes me want to do a quick run through of the game or at least do some hunting.

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • Options
    ZavianZavian universal peace sounds better than forever war Registered User regular
    HZD is currently $28 with Plus on PSN. I haven't gotten it yet, but that seems like a fantastic price

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    I restarted a Very Hard game (previous just beat it on normal; tried to do Ultra Hard but... too hard). Goddamn this game is so great. Gameplay obviously, but the story, even the second time through... even the main theme still makes me tear up.

• Options
    edited October 2017
    I'm very excited for the Frozen Wilds and hope it's extremely good. I'm a bit worried that it'll just be a ton of combat and a tiny bit of non-essential story, but... I mean, I'm game for any new Horizon content. Bonus points if it actually advances or fills in (or at least, provides an interesting tangent to) HZD's plot.

GMaster7 on
  • Options
    metaghostmetaghost An intriguing odor A delicate touchRegistered User regular
    GMaster7 wrote: »
    I'm very excited for the Frozen Wilds and hope it's extremely good. I'm a bit worried that it'll just be a ton of combat and a tiny bit of non-essential story, but... I mean, I'm game for any new Horizon content.

Frankly, it's just gonna be "frequently taking photos of environments and dinobots", and you know it.

• Options
    I found my Very Hard run to be pretty easy, right up until right near the end:
    Helis had such a ridiculous amount of health/damage resistance that I worked through a decent chunk of supplies crafting more ammo to fight him.
    The thought of fighting him on something even harder is the main reason I haven't touched Ultra Hard yet.

• Options
    KalTorak wrote: »
    I restarted a Very Hard game (previous just beat it on normal; tried to do Ultra Hard but... too hard). Goddamn this game is so great. Gameplay obviously, but the story, even the second time through... even the main theme still makes me tear up.

The music in general is literally the only part of the game that I dislike. For me, the music ranged from "well, it's present" to "ugh." Just not at all to my tastes.

I would have loved for Aloy to have found the music app on her focus and for the game's soundtrack to be from that. IMO, the game deserved a soundtrack that sounded like something from Apocalyptica or maybe Two Steps from Hell. Having a music app could lead to cool moments like Aloy seeing a huge machine, taking the time to queue up some epic metal, and then charging into battle.

This discussion has been closed.