As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Trailers] Attractive singers trying to be actors

• Options
    kaidkaid Registered User regular
    Skyline did well enough for a sequel?

That is what I thought when I saw that trailer. I know there were a lot of law suits due to accusations of them stealing graphic asset stuff from battlefield LA to make skyline and it did not do great in the theaters so I am pretty baffled how this got a sequel.

• Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular

Everything has done well enough to make a sequel/stealth reboot. It's the age were living in.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    kaid wrote: »

That is what I thought when I saw that trailer. I know there were a lot of law suits due to accusations of them stealing graphic asset stuff from battlefield LA to make skyline and it did not do great in the theaters so I am pretty baffled how this got a sequel.

Saved money by stealing more assets?

Also, I had just assumed that I had misremembered the title for Battlefield LA

• Options
    SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    Skyline is literally one of the worst movies I've ever seen. Like, beyond the pale bad in every way.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited August 2017
    Manhunt's trailer looks terrible, I'm sorry John maybe the movie won't suck but I've lost the faith.

And White Famous looks hilarious, then again I'm a sucker for Jamie Foxx in a dress.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    kaidkaid Registered User regular
    Fencingsax wrote: »

I think the guys who did the effects for skyline were working on battlefield LA at the time and a lot of the effects were pretty similar so if I recall correctly there were some lawsuits flying back and forth about it.

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    Fencingsax wrote: »

I think the guys who did the effects for skyline were working on battlefield LA at the time and a lot of the effects were pretty similar so if I recall correctly there were some lawsuits flying back and forth about it.

Sounds more interesting than the movie was.

• Options
    HandgimpHandgimp R+L=J Family PhotoRegistered User regular
  • Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    edited August 2017
    I kind of like Mighty Tho Battle Royaru title better.

DanHibiki on
  • Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    I can't believe that skyline 2 trailer.

I mean the original was indeed directed and made by two special effects people who basically stockpiled cash and assets from Battlefield LA to tuck aside for their own movie. It wasn't so much "stolen assets" but "using studio equipment to make their own shit instead of the movie they got paid to make"

Also skyline's plot was ridiculous. A special effects designer living on the top floor of a skyrise penthouse and basically being a hollywood celebrity.

are YOU on the beer list?
  • Options
    EriktheVikingGamerEriktheVikingGamer Registered User regular
    I feel like I'm running the risk of getting overhyped for Thor: Ragnarok as every single trailer they've put out for the movie has been pitch perfect for me. :P

Steam - DailyFatigueBar
    FFXIV - Milliardo Beoulve/Sargatanas
  • Options
    BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    Channel Zero was fantastic. I'm super jazzed for No-End House, even though the short story it's based off of was a lot less interesting than the one they adapted for the first season. The trailer doesn't really say anything about how it's going to be elaborated into an actual season-long plot, but it's even more freaky than I was hoping for.

• Options
    No end house the short story was really kind of shit. I'd much rather have a Ted the caver season.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    I am intrigued by this Brigsby Bear movie.

• Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    The actual story was like sub-basement level 13 year-old writing their first horror story that's basically just a linked list of scary-sounding phrases, but I can see the concept of like it is a sequence of doors that starts literally and kind of silly and ends up metaphorical and the creepy part isn't so much oh dang there's a bad thing in this room as it is oh dang is this how the world works? What makes me certain I'm in a real world? How not-freaky do I expect the actual world to be and will I know it when I see it?

Like kind of a horror Sliders I guess?

Also why is Channel Zero like specifically internet stories? Is it because they're cheap to license or is it them trying to appeal to an audience used to Creepypasta stuff?

Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    CptHamiltonCptHamilton Registered User regular
    The actual story was like sub-basement level 13 year-old writing their first horror story that's basically just a linked list of scary-sounding phrases, but I can see the concept of like it is a sequence of doors that starts literally and kind of silly and ends up metaphorical and the creepy part isn't so much oh dang there's a bad thing in this room as it is oh dang is this how the world works? What makes me certain I'm in a real world? How not-freaky do I expect the actual world to be and will I know it when I see it?

Like kind of a horror Sliders I guess?

Also why is Channel Zero like specifically internet stories? Is it because they're cheap to license or is it them trying to appeal to an audience used to Creepypasta stuff?

I believe "Creepypasta: the TV Series" was the original pitch. It's not a bad idea. Creepypasta stories are generally at least possessed of a kernel of potential, have already proven themselves to have appeal in that they've been spread around the internet, and have a small-but-non-zero built-in audience.

Based on the first season, though, it seems like they might be better suited to shorter arcs in an anthology series instead of full-season ones. Candle Cove spent a lot of time padding itself.

PSN,Steam,Live | CptHamiltonian
  • Options
    Yeah I like the idea of internet stories the show, because a lot of internet horror stories are unsettling and interesting, and I love the idea of showing a new medium.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Yeah. Candle Cove drug. I lost interest in watching it.

• Options
    I hope they edit it down to the really unnerving parts on No End House.

• Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    edited August 2017
    Preacher wrote: »
    No end house the short story was really kind of shit. I'd much rather have a Ted the caver season.

The first basic idea wasn't terrible.
    get through this haunted house, win 100 bucks or whatever. No one's ever done it! There's a myth about "that" haunted house in like every city. And the part where they realize they're still in the room could be interesting, especially in a slow build TV show. The part where the short story went on for 10 more chapters was overdoing it.

But I really enjoyed Candle Cove and found it incredibly suspenseful and unsettling, so I'm looking forward to the next one for sure.

edit: Huh, they actually did make a Ted the Caver movie!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XE5CuKJxOsc

SniperGuy on
  • Options
    I'd heard about something that someone claimed was close to the source, but yeah that looks exactly like ted the caver.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    Harry Dresden on
  • Options
    Inhumans: Welcoming the Royal Family trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NWd7WNI1dRs

Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8i_Z62oPecI

• Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Krathoon wrote: »
    I hope they edit it down to the really unnerving parts on No End House.

I keep reading this title and was hoping it was a shift from the Dionaea House story I read like a decade ago and had heard was being optioned for a movie or show or something, but apparently it's something else entirely, and a cursory Google'ing makes it look like DH hasn't gotten anywhere. It wasn't high art, and I haven't read it in ages, but there were some nicely unsettling moments in its presentation.

Which reminds me that I still need to read the House of Leaves.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    Yeah I too wished it was Dionaea house, and the possibility is there, its a fairly popular internet horror story.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    MagicPrimeMagicPrime FiresideWizard Registered User regular
    Why is 30 Days of Night the last movie I can remember josh hartnett being in? I guess he was busy with Penny Dreadful for a while...

BNet • magicprime#1430 | PSN/Steam • MagicPrime | Origin • FireSideWizard
    Critical Failures - Havenhold CampaignAugust St. Cloud (Human Ranger)
  • Options
    MagicPrime wrote: »
    Why is 30 Days of Night the last movie I can remember josh hartnett being in? I guess he was busy with Penny Dreadful for a while...

Penny Dreadful was awesome.

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    I really liked 30 Days of Night too. Was a fun movie.

• Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    edited August 2017
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mnj-MXs1yVU

From the same guy that wrote and directed Tucker and Dale v Evil. I'm totally in.

ObiFett on
  • Options
    OakeyOakey UKRegistered User regular
    edited August 2017
    MagicPrime wrote: »

He took a break for a while after turning down Batman Begins

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2015/apr/17/josh-hartnett-i-regret-turning-down-batman-role-christopher-nolan

Oakey on
  • Options
    ObiFett wrote: »
    From the same guy that wrote and directed Tucker and Dale v Evil.

SOLD!
    That movie was fucking brilliant.

• Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    That... does not look good. I mean it looks beautiful but the story beats...

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    I thought I saw in one of the BR49 trailers this summer there was a doge with Han Solo in his Home Alone pad.

My entire decision to see the movie will be based on someone telling me if the doge lives or dies.

• Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    Halt and Catch fire is on season 4?

wow.

are YOU on the beer list?
  • Options

So much yellow everywhere. You'd think this was a Guillermo del Toro movie.

• Options
    Assassin's Creed Origins

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_QjCOQhQ9c

Tulip Fever

NSFW - nudity

New Alicia Vikander movie.

Narcos: Beyond Pablo Escobar

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dWlSAws-4hg